1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matt Moore - A class act, someone that belongs on this team long term

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Good article by Armando on Matt Moore.
    He seems like an amazing team player and fits the culture mold that Philbin has created here. A plug and play system that doesn't miss a beat is one hallmark that all great coaches seem to have a knack for.

I'd love for Matt Moore to become the Don Strock of this generation. Probably a pipe dream, but he really is a leader in the lockeroom and his professionalism and team first mentality is exactly what a young Tannehill needs.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/04/v-print/3081185/miami-dolphins-matt-moore-right.html

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He's got a big life decision coming up this offseason..I'm sure it will depend on the intensity of the sways from the other teams.

3. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Question is, do we slightly overpay Moore to keep him here, if Moore is OK with this setup? If I'm the Dolphins I consider it to send a message to the rest of the team.

Philbin is building a family here, you take care of your family if they go above and beyond, even if it is in a limited role.

Sippi, shouright and Zippy like this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    at this point I think it's pretty common knowledge that he's the best backup in the game, all you can do is make him an offer that reflects that, and hope that his wife loves Miami..

5. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I read the article in the paper this morning and what I took from it was that Moore has accepted his role with the Dolphins, but he still wants to be a starting QB in the NFL. The only way I see him remaining with the Dolphins beyond this season is if he is not offered the chance to compete for the starting job on any other team in the NFL.

Moore understands that he will never be the starter in Miami unless Tannehill is out of the game with an injury. So I just don't see him wanting to remain in Miami and be a backup at this stage of his career. As he stated in the article. He understands that a time may come that he has to settle for being a backup QB in the NFL. He just isn't happy with the thought of that time being right now.

My expectation is that there will be at least one NFL team which will offer him the chance to come in and compete for the starting job and Moore will decide to take that opportunity. Philbin may be building a family, but even in the best of families, some members leave to follow a better opportunity and the possibility of earning a lot more money down the road. That is what Moore will do, unless no othe NFL team offers him a chance of becoming their starter.

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Love this guy.

7. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    The good teams are qb factories who don't overpay to keep backups but trade them away for value.

8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He's not going to want to resign here, he should get at least a shot for a starter job somewhere.

9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Unfortunately at this point we can't trade Moore. The deadline has passed and he's set to be a free agent at season's end. So is Pat Devlin I believe.

I think the question becomes do you try and bring back Matt Moore and potentially sacrifice bringing back one of the 6 starters who need re-signed: Long, Starks, Smith, Hartline, Bush, and Fasano, or do you re-sign Devlin on the cheap, as he's an exclusive rights free agent?

10. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I think he can be a decent starter. So I wouldn't blame him at all if he signs somewhere else.

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    If he lacks the ambition to start then he would be a fine back-up.

12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    One of the problems is the places where he could start, say Oakland or KC, either have a long term Qb or are in position to draft a Qb with a high #1 pick.

Take Jax for example, they are hip deep in Blaine Gabbert, and so it goes, so it would not surprise me if he does stick around for the next couple of yrs at 3 million per or so.

One wildcard in that is Buffalo if Gailey is fired they may look for a different Qb rather than Fitzpatrick.

13. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think the Dolphins will opt for trying to sign Devlin as the teams backup for next year. As much as they might want to keep Moore. I just don't see him wanting to remain in Miami as the teams backup. He wants to be a starter in the NFL and who can blame him for that.

Of the players you mentioned above that the Dolphins need to sign:

1)Long has played better recently and appears to be overcoming his earlier injury problem which caused him to start slowly this season. I just don't know if the Dolphins are going to pay him the nearly ten million plus salary that he will command in free agency. While I think they will want to sign him to a new contract, it would not surprise me if they let him leave if they consider his salary demands too high.

2)Starks is one of their top defensive lineman and someone I feel they should sign quickly after the season is over. Some people feel he can be replaced by moving Odrick inside and drafting another DE to put in Odricks DE position. I just think Starks is a far better better player than Odrick and he is an instrumental member of the defensive line. I would hate to see the Dolphins lose him in free agency.

3)Smith is going to cost the Dolphins a great deal more money after this season than it would have cost them to extend his contract before the season began. He is going to want to be paid as one of the top CB's in the NFL and if the Dolphins don't want to pay him that kind of money. I am sure another NFL will be happy to pay him. I hope he remains with the Dolphins, but like with Long, it won't surprise me if another team is willing to pay him more than the Dolphins.

4)Hartline is an adequate secondary receiver. He had one great game this season and really hasn't done that much in the rest of the games. He has always been a player who shows up in some games and not in others. I really don't care if they sign him or not. I think that they can find cheaper WR's in the draft or in free agency who can come in and be as effective as he has been with the Dolphins. If he is willing to sign a contract without huge demands, sign him. If he wants to be paid like a top receiver in the NFL, Bye Bye.

5)Bush is really a dilemma at this point. He played terrible early in the 2011 season, only to turn it around and become one of the best RB's in the NFL over the last half of that season. He started out great this year, but hasn't been the same since his early season injury against the Jets. The fact that he was replaced for most of the second half of the Jets game last week by Thomas, shows that the organization may not be as interested in signing him to a big contract after this season. Unless he starts running more effectively and is willing to sign a reasonable contract, I just don't see him being a member of the Dolphins beyond this season. I think that Miller was drafted to fill Bush's role in the offense and by 2013, Miller will be doing just that.

6)Fasano is not a down field threat as a TE. Clay and Egnew were drafted to fill this role and so far neither of them have stepped up. Fasano is a solid blocker and he makes enough plays at the TE position to keep him around, if he is willing to sign a salary friendly contract. As long as he isn't asking for unreasonable money to remain with the Dolphins, he is a player the Dolphins should try to sign for another 2-3 years. Hopefully the Dolphins will find a TE in free agency or in the draft who can come in and provide Tannehill with a true down field threat.

14. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'd love for the guy to stick around but I'd be surprised if he didn't get an opportunity to go start elsewhere. I'll be happy for him if he gets to start somewhere else, as long as it isn't the Jets or Bills.

15. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I agree with the teams you listed, as those teams in need of a starting QB. The one team you left off though is the team which might have the most interest in Moore as a possible starter in 2013. That is the Arizona Cardinals. The 2013 draft doesn't appear to have the same quality QB's coming out that last years draft had. I think Moore is better than the two QB's now on the Cardinals and if the Cardinals have a draft pick in the second half of the first round of the 2013 draft. I don't see a QB now in college being drafted that late in the first round, who could come in and start for the Cardinals next year.

I also think that Moore would be a good fit for the Cardinals offense. The Cardinals have one of the best defenses in the NFL and Moore would upgrade their team immediately on the offensive side of the ball. With his ability to throw the deep ball and Fitzgerald as his top receiver, Moore would make the Cardinals a legitimate playoff contender, as soon as he signed his contract.

16. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    It all depends on what this coaching staff thinks of Devlin's growth.

17. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The highest paid and most proven backup currently is Kyle Orton with Dallas. If I were Miami, I'd make Moore a similar offer. 3 yrs/10.5mil as I recall.