1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matt Moore signing two year deal with Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    free agency officially ticks off in 2 hours and change...

2. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Who is Matt Moore? This is Henne's competition for camp? With everyone who was out there? You can't make this **** up. Can everyone finally admit now that this regime for some reason believes you can win in the NFL without a good QB? Orton isn't going to set the league on fire but he is still at least a small upgrade. You know what a small upgrade is better than? No upgrade at all.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    You can convince yourself whatever you want. Everyone has the right to be wrong bordering on inane.

If what you say is true then I would be showing zero discretion about quarterbacks. I would be hailing the Matt Moore pick because "at least it's better than Henne". Oh wait, except back in the Matt Moore thread that got started a month ago, I reviewed Matt's game and said I would take Chad Henne all day, every day before Matt Moore. Whoops! There goes that theory! Nice try, play again some day.

DolfanJake likes this.
  4. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    I speculate that Orton didn't want to come here, and made contract demands that were unreasonable. We'll never know if it was the Broncos or Orton that made the trade impossible, but the Orton scenario is now very believable.

Ireland has one more chance today to turn this around at 6pm. If we don't see anything of note happening (and so far zippo has leaked out that we are going to do something) Ireland's lack of experience really hurt the Dolphins. Yet another blunder we've come to expect from this regime. No wonder Parcells left. He saw this coming before last season.

TheMageGandalf likes this.
  5. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Some people don't sugarcoat just so they can feel good. They live in the real world. Right now, that real world sucks for Dolfans.

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Here's a highlight of Matt Moore's 2009 season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0JsdmJ_9xQ

1. Haven't seen moonballs like that since Steve Grogan in Tecmo Super Bowl.

2. Kind of telling that among the 15 hand-picked highlight throws were two woefully underthrown balls.

7. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I watched a different highlight reel in the meantime (can't watch this one because of some copyright crap) and I'm definitely with you on the arm strength and moonballs. Haven't seen those since Michael Chang killed Ivan Lendl with them in the French Open. I do have to hand the kid some balls, however. Unlike Chad Henne, he's not afraid to put it in one on one coverage and let his stud receiver make the play.

MrClean likes this.
  8. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    :lol: That was awesome CK I needed that laugh! :knucks:

ckparrothead likes this.
  9. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Some of the people here will just never get it. They will ALWAYS see everything through orange & aqua colored glasses. Anyone who dares to go against that is the enemy of the regime. Same mentality that Hitler used to brainwash Germany from 1933 to 1945.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Good God. You somehow managed to include Hitler in your post.

11. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    We should sign this dude by the way. Not good in coverage, but boy, he can blitz.

12. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Well.....

Anyone think Brett Favre is an upgrade?

13. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    He's got some off the field concerns though. Something about breaking some store front windows. Probably not a big deal.

Also, some concerns over his commitment to the game. He is a wannabe artist

Vendigo likes this.
  14. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Nooooo, we're upset because instead of ending up with the promised REAL QB comp that Sparano said we'd get, we sign Matt Moore a BELOW AVERAGE QB that will not put up any comp for Henne, who we have already seen what he can do, and its not good enough.

But 6pm hasn't come and gone yet. Ireland has one last chance.

15. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Ughhhh...........lol

16. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    NFL Network is killing us right now. Not surprised, we deserve it.

17. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Nothing would make me happier. Do I believe that will happen ? Not on your life.

18. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    It's a party when Hitler references come out in a thread about the new equipment manager.

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I dominated with Steve Grogan in Tecmo Bowl

20. Da-PhinZ

Da-PhinZ New Member

May 9, 2010
    Menifee
    I like the sign. Moore is a decent back up and it gives someone to compete w/ Henne, although Henne will win. It shows that the management is doing something they have done before, show confidence in Henne. This is his last shot and he knows it, we know it, so let the chips fall where they may. Either we win or Henne goes home, end of story. I don't want Orton because I still think Henne can be our guy and w/ Orton on the roster it would just muddle things up. You can scream the sky is falling all you want but none of us know how the season will end. You guys can say your being realistic but realistically your being pessimistic.

MrClean likes this.
  21. TheMageGandalf

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    The thing is that I dont believe its just the Henne deal its the overall lack of an upgrade across the board at areas of need. You cant really look at the rookies and say thats an upgrade because they havent played a down yet so odds are they may suck.

Those are just the odds. Thats why there are so many busts. I am sure we all thought Sammie Smith, Cecil Collins, Irving Spikes, John Avery and JJ Johnson, among the many others, were the next Bo Jackson at some point but that didnt work out so well.

So call me gun shy on annointing Thomas just yet.

If they dont suck, great. But when your talking about someone comming into the league, you cant just hang your hat on them until they actually play in a real game - NFL starters against starters.

So, other than rookies who have we brought in? We spent a whole damn extended offseason planning for a LEGITIMATE QB competition and what we get is soggy fruit loops going up against Henne. I expected as much but a lot of people on here thought they would really do something.

Next, we get a RB via trade that is the MO for this regime's big deals - an injury prone player. Granted he's good (not exceptional) for what he does when he can actually stay on the field but since that isnt very often then its a lukewarm aquisition at best.

The final great splash is the addition of a special teamer LBer. Sure he's started a few games but really this guy was brought in more so because of the fact he's tight with the ex-Cleveland crew here.

Now we know FA doesnt 'officially' start until 6 and I dont think anyone here really expect us to go after every available FA, it just feels like teams that are above us make moves and seem like they arent content with just being 14-2 and they want to still improve. While our seemingly half *** attempts to provide legitimate QB competition added to the general feeling that the rest of the roster is fine, and only needs a slight tweaking, is what is getting a lot of people pissed off.

22. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Your penchant for being condescending is well documented. We've all seen that. Thanks for another confirmation. It's okay that you feel that your opinion is the end all of opinions, but to twist words to try to **** in other people is not. I never said anything about any other QB. I was talking about Orton. My point is, again, that you are such the hater of Henne, that you would **** yourself over someone coming in with comparable numbers - a player Denver seems willing enough to let go. And why is that? Because they know the guy can't get it done against quality teams. Some of Henne's better games were against the better teams. And there is no denying our strength of schedule, and our division, is much tougher than what Orton has played in. If I recall correctly (and I could be mistaken) you were one of the ones drooling all over the place when we got Culpepper. In my HUMBLE opinion, trading away anything of value for a guy who doesn't stand much, if at all, above Henne is a waste. We need our picks. Or would you like to go into next season without a 2nd round pick again and possibly send a quality player in with the deal, only to have a QB on the roster that just pisses off every body again because he can't get us anywhere. Henne is coming into his third season as a starter, and I fully believe and expect him to do well. Well enough, in fact, that throwing away a player, pick, or both would be foolish - for ANY QB available. Short of Carson Palmer, I don't see a QB out there that could come in and win the starting job. Unfortunately, Palmer isn't available. If he were, then I would jump all over it. Other than that, no one out there now inspires any confidence in me that he could come in a be any more of a difference maker than Chad Henne.

And by the way, you might want to re-read my post. Because it was blatantly obvious that I was referring, the entire time, to Orton and not just "any" QB.
    Nice try. Feel free to play again as well.

23. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008

Having a qb that sucks and that will not test chad henne at all is better then over paying for kyle orton. Are you drunk? Kyle orton is who we should of got we waited to long and the price tag on him went up our front office sucks right now. Matt Moore out of all the qbs in the free agent market we got Matt Moore. Go look at 2009 highlights of matt moore and thats the guy were getting. I hope this guy doesnt start for us I hope he gets cut.

24. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    Yeah, I read about that. Apparently he has megalomaniac tendencies and plans to annihilate an entire human race.

Anybody knows if he's on roids? That would be a no go.

25. Da-PhinZ

Da-PhinZ New Member

May 9, 2010
    Menifee
    I was specifically referring to the Moore deal. I understand that our team needs some upgrades in other areas but I think we will sign more players when we are officially allowed to sign, T-minus 42 minutes.

26. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    All I did was say Drew Rosenhaus called this. It was a classic case of killing the messenger and ignoring the message.

27. TheMageGandalf

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    I really, really hope so because if we are going to stick with Henne (like I thought they would all along) fine. He's average. I dont see anymore upside with him, I am sorry but I dont. He is what he is and may or may not slightly improve to (more recent) Orton type numbers with a new offensive philosophy but thats it IMHO.

I dont believe in the mantra of excuses like some hardcore Henne rah rah rah people on here but at the sametime I think we can do worse, Moore being the example.

I have always likened Henne to Jay Fiedler in that he's very average but can win you some games and then again lose you plenty as well.

HOWEVER, if they are going to go with Henne then they must upgrade the OLine and TE. I dont know what people see in Fasano. He is very average as well and we can do so much better and THAT single thing might be what helps Henne out since a great TE that can get open and catch may be exactly what the doctor ordered.

So to sum it up, sticking with Henne like Wannstedt did with Fiedler? Fine. But upgrade then the other spots bigtime to help the guy out. Dont just gamble on rookies and an Oline thats an injury away from being musical chairs again to bail the guy out.

28. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Yep Ireland has one last chance. He needs to do something spectacular or this FA has been a huge flop for him, and unfortunately us fans too.

29. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I am sayong this as nice as possible..........I want you to re-read what you just said and realize how dumb you sound. Kyle Orton who is better then Chad should of been traded for and that will push chad to be better, someone that is worse the chad isnt going to make him any better. Chad has gotten his chance and he was so bad last year that we put chah pennington in and then he got hurt, then we put in tyler thigpen in. He is what we are getting with
    matt moore: 2010 stats
    TDS 5 INT10 YDS 857 RTG 55.6
    Matt Moore couldnt challenge my 4 year old nephew

Chad Henne: 2010 stats
    TDS 15 INT 19 YDS 3301 RTG 75.4
    This wont even be a problem for Chad He will kill him

Kyle Orton: 2010 stats
    TDS 20 INT 9 YDS 3,653 RTG 87.5
    This is the person that Chad should be facing off with in trianing camp not matt more.

Bottom line is FO messed up.

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Henne can make all the throws, Fielder could not.

31. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Ireland wins no matter what in this. Sparano is married to Henne and if they fail they get the boot together. If they win Ireland looks great for not leveraging picks and cash. Ross has already give Ireland the vote of confidence and said Sparano must win now. Ireland just painted Tony in a tight corner. Of course if it is another sub-par season everyone on the board loses.

32. TheMageGandalf

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    What does ability in direct comparison to Fiedler have to do with it?

I said that they are both very average. Doesnt matter that he can make the throws if Fiedler can make plays with his feet.

Fiedler also had slightly better field vision and was more cerebral than Henne.

What difference does it make? They are both very average and thats my point.

33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Henne could become something better, Fiedler could not.

I think Fiedler's field vision and smartness was is on par with Henne.

Fiedler is head and shoulders better at making plays with his feet.

Fielder was also much better at getting hurt.

34. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    That's what this regime will do to you. They can't be gone soon enough.

35. sloppyjoer

sloppyjoer New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Pretty much this for me. I am neutral on the Moore acqusition, but doesn't really make us better, nor hurt us. Straight up, even if it really comes down to the best man starting at QB, I think we have Henne. I do like Henne, and still think we can win with him.

Our defense if pretty awesome, and have some solid people on the O. How well the O will do will be between Henne and the OC. Thank goodness Henning is gone, I really wanna believe it was him that kinda held Henne back.

It's up to Henne to run with it now.

36. C-HUCKS1

C-HUCKS1 New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    But the Goal is to get better at the QB position. Why not try to sign Young, at least he may some potential upside. Its decisions like this that makes me question the team's front office. Until we get a franchise QB, the team is fighting an uphill battle.

37. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Where did Vince Young go? He seems like a better option than Matt Moore.

38. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Last I heard he was to sign as Michael Vick's backup in Philly. We should know in a few minutes I guess.

39. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Miami must have had zero interest as he probably would have been the starter there. I think he probably could beat Henne in camp though he obviously has his faults as well.

40. Da-PhinZ

Da-PhinZ New Member

May 9, 2010
    Menifee
    Thanks. So since I have a different opinion I "sound" dumb?

I don't want to pursue a guy that will just end up being another Chad Pennington. Chad P. was an awesome guy but he was not a long term fix and he ended up just adding QB controversy which I don't want. If you really thought that we would pick up Orton just to be a backup, than you sound dumb. If we were to pick him up he would have replaced Henne, and whether you agree with me or not, I feel Henne deserves one last try. One last try with a O-coordinator that does not sabotage every drive and a offense suited to his skills. I agree Moore is not better than Henne, but he will still be competition. Although I don't think Henne needs it, he already knows he can be replaced, and this offseason IMO he has shown me he wants to be this teams leader. Bottom Line we have yet to play a singe game.