1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matt Roth - In or Out ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, May 12, 2008.

Tags:

Matt Roth - In or Out ?

1. In - He will start

6.1%
  2. In - But only as a situational player

65.9%
  3. Out - He will be cut

13.4%
  4. Out - He will be traded

7.3%
  5. I am not a genie.

7.3%
  1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    One of our club members Hugo Guzman wrote an opinion piece in his blog which infers that there is no place for Matt Roth in a Parcells 3-4 defensive system.

http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/dolphins/11182
    Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald has a different view.

IMO I think it was no accident that Sparano listed Roth as a starter a while back,claiming he inadvertently left out Vonnie Holliday.I do think he is in our plans depending on how he trains and how much weight he gains.

I made a compilation of the gifs I have made of him during the last couple of years and if there is one thing that I notice is that he hits hard and that the ball comes out more often than not.

Sure he has physical limitations but he overcomes some of his shortcomings by his constant motor and strength.He may just win the heart of Parcells and co and a place on this team even as as a situational player.

What do you think ? I have included a poll but I would appreciate your written comments too and you will get my thanks

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd1/bytesandbits/?action=view&current=MattRothgifs.flv

sws84, PhinsRock, brandon27 and 10 others like this.
  2. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    Good thead:up: Really makes you think what way BP will go with Roth. IMO if Roth works his butt off this offseason he will win a spot.

CrunchTime likes this.
  3. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    During every PC Sparano reminds us that all positions are up for grabs. Looking at the depth we have at DE including Starks, Moses, Wright, Holliday, Merling, Langford and finally Roth I don't think we can assume anything.

It will be an interesting camp for our front 7 on defense. Perhaps there will be a lot of rotation to keep these guys fresh. Ultimately, someone has to do. I just hope it is not Moses. I think he has showed upside, and should be given a chance.

As for Roth, again, he needs a good camp. If I had to predict, Id say Roth plays passing downs in a nicked package or something. I don't think he will be considered big enough to hold down the POA on running plays.

CrunchTime likes this.
  4. aesthetic

aesthetic Raw Doggin' Club Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Matt Roth is and always was a good situational pass rusher. IMO his size/weakness preclude him from starting. With him having to constantly work past the physical shortcomings, he's gonna be hurt too often. My Guess: He will continue to play a role if and only if he learns some wedge busting special teams acumen ala D. Bowens.

Phinperor and CrunchTime like this.
  5. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    As Darlington pointed out, Roth has the kind of motor and work ethic the new regime loves.

I think a good deal of Roth's issues last year were health related, so I think he'll be given the shot to see what he does when healthy. Worse case scenario I see him as a situational pass rusher.

CrunchTime likes this.
  6. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That is a good point and one to seriously consider. IF he plays like he did last year, he will be cut. That is what I voted on just because I am not so sure he is not the player I saw on the field last season. I am just not sure he has the body to fit anywhere in a 3-4. I guess time will tell...

CrunchTime likes this.
  7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    we'll see, he certainly fits the profile of our new regime, nasty, tough, character, non stop motor, i think they can find a place for him, he has some talent, he was selected in the second round.

Can yall imagine JT and Vonnie wearing the black makeup that roth wears on gameday?.....me neither

CrunchTime likes this.
  8. SAVES

SAVES Season Ticket Holder

Jan 3, 2008
    It is kind of odd that some say he won't fit a 3-4 defense since he was drafted for that role by Saban. I understand there are differences in the Saban's defensive fronts and our current scheme, but I would imagine the skills required would be somewhat comparable.

While I would not be surprised to see him become an effective starter, I think he will be great in the rotation as he showed so much promise in that role a few years back. We saw so many guys drafted this year who were described as mean, high motor players and I think Roth fits the bill.

Awesome video Crunch!

CrunchTime likes this.
  9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I think this is used too much. The "no allegiance" thing. Sometimes coaches do keep players around a little longer due to the fact they drafted them, however if the player doesn't play up to spec most coaches cut those players whether they drafted them or not.

It is just the coaches want players and if Roth turns out to be a player they are going to keep him, if he doesn't they are going to get rid of him. That goes for everyone they got, maybe with the exception of Jake Long.

CrunchTime likes this.
  10. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Roth is strong for his size ala Marco Coleman...im not sure its enough to play DE in a 3-4 but if he can get up to around 285 I think he could play in the rotation and not hurt the D.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
    CrunchTime likes this.
  11. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Well Roth still put up 3 sacks and a FF despite supposedly being hampered all year by a groin injury. I'm sure he'll be in the rotation as he's still cheap to keep around. I think the key is that Roth's tackles have gone up each year he's been in the league. If his groin is healthy he could do well in the system. He's got the height (6 foot 4) and his listed weight is 272lbs. The main thing that will help his case is that he works hard which is a key thing Parcells looks for.

CrunchTime likes this.
  12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Roth has a place on the team, but not as a starter, iMO. I believe Vonnie Holliday and Randy Starks will start. Matt Roth will fight with Kendall Langford for playing time in our 3-4 alignments. Phil Merling will come in on 4-DL alignments as a pass rusher.

I don't see how anyone could think Matt Roth has been a good situational pass rusher for us. He does not generate the kind of pass rush a team needs from a situational pass rusher. A situational pass rusher needs to be able to come in and apply pressure on the quarterback, even if he isn't too keen on the run. He needs to be David Bowens, Lorenzo Brommell, Trace Armstrong. Matt Roth is much more Kenny Mixon than any of those guys.

I disagree with the blogger who thinks Roth is practically already off the team. But, at the same time, he's not long for this team IMO. Phil Merling will be our situational pass rusher...and we needed one real badly. The best situational pass rusher we had all last year was Quentin Moses, and you know something is wrong when that is the case. It's too important a position for a scrap heap waiver wire rookie to end up your best one.

Bpk and CrunchTime like this.
  13. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Roth has, imo, become a journeyman. The only reason I see him on this team next year is because his competition is predominantly rookies (Merling and Langford). When those guys develop, I don't see him sticking past this year.

Again, I submit that Roth has been misused as a 3-4 DE (and would have been better off being put in as a pass rushing 3-4 OLB). But, it may be that he just can't operate well in space and so has to be put there (But, he'd be a better 4-3 DE than a 3-4 DE, imo). Ultimately, I just don't see Roth being a dominant force in stopping the run and stuffing the line of scrimmage - which is what I believe Sparano will want in his 3-4 DE's.

Of course, I won't be rooting against him. I hope he'll dramatically improve his play this year. That will be good for the team.

CrunchTime likes this.
  14. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I can't agree there.

B.

CrunchTime likes this.
  15. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I really like Matt Roth because of his motor and heart. I just think back to the days when JJ first drafted a guy named Taylor and he kept asking him to bulk up and Taylor just couldn't do it. In that kind of situation I would like to see Roth lose some of that added weight and gain some speed so as to be used as a LBer. As it is he will never make it to 300 lbs so he won't ever be the size Bill desires for a DE in the 3-4.

Da 'Fins and CrunchTime like this.
  16. Finole

Finole Season Ticket Holder

Dec 5, 2007
    Those were my exact thoughts in regards to Roth last year. His first couple of seasons, JT was not the force he is today. So I felt Roth still had a chance to develop into a great player, too.

But he was so awful last season I completely gave up on him.

I thought Roth was supposed to have put on weight last year. But he's still listed at 272 lbs. He needs to get to at least 290 lbs to play DE.

Is Roth athletic enough to play OLB or even ILB?
    Can he put on weight and play DE?

I think the answer to both of those questions is probably no. His height, weight, and speed make him a better fit for DE in a 4-3 defense.

gafinfan and CrunchTime like this.
  17. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    I've always liked him but with all the moves we've made, I just don't see him on the roster and he'll get cut. it's not likely the FO will cut "their guys" first.
    just a feeling.

CrunchTime likes this.
  18. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think there's most certainly a place for him, but not as a starter.

I think he's basically best fit to fill the role that Jarvis Green does in the Patriots defense. Same build, same skills. Not really a traditional 2-gap 3-4, and not a starting DE barring injury, just a jack-of-all-trades DE. Basically, a situational pass rusher that plays DE or DT in 4-man fronts, and DE in 3-man fronts on passing downs.

I disagree. When he's gotten snaps in as a pass rushing down DE, he's performed. The only year he really got a chance to do that was late '07, coincidently when he had two multi-sack games. In '05, he was mostly run down in for Carter at strongside DE, and in '07 he was almost exclusively a DT in 4-man passing down fronts.

I think it's quite possible, his primary role is a DE on 4-man fronts this next year. Having both Joey Porter AND Jason Taylor last in a down stance was a weakness last year, and alot of 3-4 teams will use a bigger lineman at one of those spots rather than two OLBs.

CrunchTime likes this.
  19. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks for referencing my column, CrunchTime!

You know my stance, but with this regime it's difficult to be sure of anything.

For all I know, he could be cut tomorrow or could end up staring all 16 games in '08.

CrunchTime and padre31 like this.
  20. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I think he could prove to be a good "Situational" type player. That being said, he would probably be one of the very last roster spots available as our team makeup doesnt constitute the "luxery" of having situational type players.

I do hope him well, and hope he still turns out to be a key cog-for us, however, as I already voiced in another thread, he really has been a disappointment to date and I am not sure he will make the final roster...

DeDolfan and CrunchTime like this.
  21. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

His motor and drive will keep him on the team, his size and lack of speed will keep him from starting, only as a situational pass rusher IMHO. I really like this thread BTW, and the GIF of course, as always.

Looks like I voted with the majority, but really wanted to vote I am not a genie, just because I thought that was such a cool answer! :lol:

CrunchTime likes this.