Matt Roth on the outs?
39 replies
Slumming it through 'Nando's blog and came across this nugget :
"The truth is, and I don't mean this in a bad way because I care about all my players, but you have to worry about the guys that are out there," Sparano said. "You have to go thinking what if doesn't get ... I don't know. We'll see where this thing is. I have to worry about at this time, Jason Taylor, Quentin Moses, and the guys that are out there playing."
The one thing I've found from the trifecta is they will generally tip their hand on what they are going to do:
Sparano was asked if the Dolphins are closing in on the moment when they have to make a decision on Roth's roster status -- either trading him, or cutting him, or placing him on either the injured reserve or physically unable to perform list, or just getting him on the field and working.
"We'll see," Sparano said.
That answer should raise red flags. The last time Sparano said, "We'll see," the Dolphins cut Eric Green. The time before that when he said, "We'll see," the team signed Connor Barth to compete with Dan Carpenter.
We'll see translates to something is about to happen.
Apparently we are cleaning dead wood at the moment, whether or not that means we keep Roth, or PUP him, or trade him or cut him, I have to agree with 'Nando, something is cooking with Roth.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/
This is a warning shot across the bow for roth. The message is, hurt or not its time to start practicing


2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock
Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"
"adamprez2003 wrote:
This is a warning shot across the bow for roth. The message is, hurt or not its time to start practicing
Disagree adamp, to me that was weeks ago, we cleared the decks of players who were eating reps and would not make the team for a reason, Roth is sort of the last domino to fall one way or another.
JT and Q Moses have taken possession of Roth's OLB slot.
Strategically, if he placed on the pup, if JT or Q is injured in weeks 1-6, he is a ready reserve, if we can snag some decent trade value (like a 3rd or low 4th) he (imho) would be dealt.
"padre31 wrote:
Disagree adamp, to me that was weeks ago, we cleared the decks of players who were eating reps and would not make the team for a reason, Roth is sort of the last domino to fall one way or another.
JT and Q Moses have taken possession of Roth's OLB slot.
Strategically, if he placed on the pup, if JT or Q is injured in weeks 1-6, he is a ready reserve, if we can snag some decent trade value (like a 3rd or low 4th) he (imho) would be dealt.
I'd take a 3rd for Roth in a heartbeat. I get the feeling that this entire situation somehow revolves around the re-signing of JT and Roth had his pride hurt. Which leads me to believe immediately that he is not a team player. Of course, I'm just speculating. But there is way more going on in this situation than we know about. And the groin is NOT the issue, IMO.

"Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision." - Muhammad Ali
this roth crap is lasting much longer than i expected. he missed the entire camp and there is still no info on what is going on. ive never seen anything like this. hopefully it gets resolved soon.
"SCall13 wrote:
I'd take a 3rd for Roth in a heartbeat. I get the feeling that this entire situation somehow revolves around the re-signing of JT and Roth had his pride hurt. Which leads me to believe immediately that he is not a team player. Of course, I'm just speculating. But there is way more going on in this situation than we know about. And the groin is NOT the issue, IMO.
Roth was JT's boy before he was traded, there are pictures of the two going out clubbing together.
To me, this has the smell of overweening pride on Roth and Sparano's part.
I hope not, but it seems Roth is on his way out if he does not start practicing. It is confusing, he does not have the rep for being moody and not a team player...
maybe they're secretly using Roth as a fullback and they dont want anyone to know about it until we play the Pats.
You guys know that if Matt can't pass a physical then we can't trade him..............Right?
So this would be the dumbest way in the world to try and get yourself traded.I'd hope to think Drew and Matt are not that dumb, and i really don't think they are.
I don't see what is so shocking about a guy who played with an injury all last year and his body is just not going to let him do it this year.Anyways.. that's my take.
:hammertime:
"funkdat wrote:
You guys know that if Matt can't pass a physical then we can't trade him..............Right?
So this would be the dumbest way in the world to try and get yourself traded.I'd hope to think Drew and Matt are not that dumb, and i really don't think they are.
I don't see what is so shocking about a guy who played with an injury all last year and his body is just not going to let him do it this year.Anyways.. that's my take.
I don't believe he is "injured" fundat, the man was running gassers on the sideline of the bubble, I think Sparano and Ireland got peeved over the conflicting statements made in the media, and I also think Roth sprung something on them as well.
Roth can be removed from the PUP, sent for a physical and any trade consumated.
"padre31 wrote:
I don't believe he is "injured" fundat, the man was running gassers on the sideline of the bubble, I think Sparano and Ireland got peeved over the conflicting statements made in the media, and I also think Roth sprung something on them as well.
Roth can be removed from the PUP, sent for a physical and any trade consumated.
i may be wrong but i think he cant be placed on PUP. I think its either IR, roster, cut or trade. maybe nfi but only if they can prove that its non football related


2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock
Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"
"padre31 wrote:
I don't believe he is "injured" fundat, the man was running gassers on the sideline of the bubble, I think Sparano and Ireland got peeved over the conflicting statements made in the media, and I also think Roth sprung something on them as well.
Roth can be removed from the PUP, sent for a physical and any trade consumated.
Well it comes down to if you think he is or not then.
He'd have to to a lil SOB to pull this and i just don't think he is.
:hammertime:
maybe there is a trade that has been in the works and they don't want to risk him getting hurt and cancel the trade. Just a thought
he is too valuable for us to cut.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.
"adamprez2003 wrote:
i may be wrong but i think he cant be placed on PUP. I think its either IR, roster, cut or trade. maybe nfi but only if they can prove that its non football related
I read he is already on PUP, went there at the time camp opened, which is the only time players get placed on PUP.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"MrClean wrote:
I read he is already on PUP, went there at the time camp opened, which is the only time players get placed on PUP.
ok but did he practice? if he practiced he cant go on PUP. Now I'm confused :sad:


2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock
Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"
"MrClean wrote:
I read he is already on PUP, went there at the time camp opened, which is the only time players get placed on PUP.
Yep, Day 1, "non football PUP/illness"
They can easily deep freeze Matt Roth.
I dont think a decision hasnt been made about Roth because we just cut Tearrius George today - another big strongside LB. Timing is to auspicious IMO.
see nothing occult or mysterious here
Roth would play if he could play, obviously he is injured
the answer looks more like PUP to me
- Competition is the Elixir of Success -
I don't understand why suddenly everyone wants to trade Matt Roth. He's by far our best edge setting linebacker and even though we have Wake and Taylor, we don't know what's going to happen with them. If you deal Roth, Taylor could get injured and then you have Cameron Wake starting. I like Wake but I'm not comfortable with that just yet.
"adamprez2003 wrote:
ok but did he practice? if he practiced he cant go on PUP. Now I'm confused :sad:
I believe he's only done work on the bicycle.
can never have too many outstanding OLB's in the 3-4
- Competition is the Elixir of Success -
"padre31 wrote:
Slumming it through 'Nando's blog and came across this nugget :
The one thing I've found from the trifecta is they will generally tip their hand on what they are going to do:
Apparently we are cleaning dead wood at the moment, whether or not that means we keep Roth, or PUP him, or trade him or cut him, I have to agree with 'Nando, something is cooking with Roth.
Thanks bro, you have been on this from the start.:up:

Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!
just might be that simple
they know what they are doing
really like Roth, hope he sticks
- Competition is the Elixir of Success -
"alen1 wrote:
I don't understand why suddenly everyone wants to trade Matt Roth. He's by far our best edge setting linebacker and even though we have Wake and Taylor, we don't know what's going to happen with them. If you deal Roth, Taylor could get injured and then you have Cameron Wake starting. I like Wake but I'm not comfortable with that just yet.
Hmmm...you don't foresee Q Moses playing the strongside with Wake as a down or up nickel passrusher?
I believe he's only done work on the bicycle.
As I recall Alen, one of the bloggers mentioned, along with Rosenhaus, that Roth was running windsprints on the sidelines.
That is the "WTH" moment in all of this for me, if Roth is running gassers, what is the actual hold up on him playing?
"padre31 wrote:
Hmmm...you don't foresee Q Moses playing the strongside with Wake as a down or up nickel passrusher?
I do but it still doesn't make me comfortable. Moses has looked good this pre-season but the guy was non existent in the past. One pre-season with good play won't change my opinion of him until I see it in the regular season.
As I recall Alen, one of the bloggers mentioned, along with Rosenhaus, that Roth was running windsprints on the sidelines.
Didn't read about that, gracias mi amigo.
That is the "WTH" moment in all of this for me, if Roth is running gassers, what is the actual hold up on him playing?
Agreed.