1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mavs fire Avery Johnson

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Finrunner, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    crazyness!!!

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Not too big of a surprise. When they were trading for Kidd in the season, he asked Cuban to trade Dirk to another team because he didn't feel like he was a good leader on the team. Once that broke out in the news, I speculated that if he failed again this year, he would be gone.

I think he ends up in Sh1tcago.

4. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Not a surprise considering he was lukewarm about getting Kidd for Harris and his tiffs with Cuban. But Avery's still a decent coach. Really preaches on D and some team will be willing to hire him.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    According to ESPN or SI, I cant remember (I'll find the link for you guys), Chicago might have disscussed about bringing in Avery already as they were planning on this day.

6. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Avery'd be a great hire for them.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I cant seem to find the link, i will keep looking though. Heres this in the meantime:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3375306

8. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I like Avery Johnson in Chicago. I think the tough playoff losses from the finals on have blown that team up. The Kidd trade was total desperation, a terrible move, and this team seems like it might not even make the playoffs next year unless there is a serious change in personnel.

9. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Undeserved firing. Johnson knew what was wrong with that team, knew what would happen if Cuban traded the farm for Kidd, and is now taking the fall.

Too bad Avery hadn't been fired last year, he'd be a nice fit in Houston. Wouldn't mind seeing him coach the Heat either, but Spoelstra's our man.

10. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Torn on this one. His record speaks for itself in many ways, but Dallas needs to rebuild and Cuban seems to be on th verge of cleaning house from the bottom to the top. Here is hoping Avery lands elsewhere.

Note: I could see Avery taking over for Don Nelson at Golden State once Nelson leaves. Something tells me Don has a year left before leaving, two tops. And, that team is nice and young (for the most part) and plays a style that Avery can coach, so it is a good fit.

11. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Dallas seems in no man's land - like a lot of other teams - right now. Just good enough to be mediocre, but not good enough or bad enough to be a factor in the playoffs or the lottery. Dirk's still there. Josh Howard. Kidd in his twilight. Brandon Bass looks like a player for them. They'll be close to the playoffs again next year but really not a factor.

The Jason Kidd trade really puts them in a predicament, because the guys they could have built around - Devin Harris, Josh Howard, and Brandon Bass - are one less, and Dirk's only getting older and becoming less of a factor as he ages and Kidd's on his last NBA legs. No matter what, they're still going to have to find a new A-player if they're going to factor, but it's easier with youth than it is with an aging team with a weak psyche.

So Cuban has to make the decision, do I blow it up now and trade my team for tens off the dollar or try to keep the fan base pleased enough with enough wins to get back to the 7th or 8th spot if they can do it again.

And who would want to coach that? Well, I'm sure there are some mercenaries, but anyone that can make a bit of a difference? Plus, whoever it is will have to deal with Cuban. I guess we'll find out soon.

alen1 likes this.
  12. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Im kind of split on this. I dont really care for Dallas much but when Josh Howard cant hit the broadside of a barn all series let alone make a bucket its pretty tough to fault the coach. I dont feel they lost because of coaching, just not enough talent around dirk.