1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McCluster interviewed by Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Link: HERE

Disnardo likes this.
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't know how I would feel about drafting Mccluster a year after drafting Pat White.

#1dolphinsfan likes this.
  3. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    He thinks he has something to prove because he does have something to prove. A lot actually. I'm unsure on McCluster also. I think he is the type of person and player this organization could really get behind, but I don't know that I want to use a semi-high second on him. I'd take him in the third, or maybe with a trade down. The good thing is that our staff had a lot of time with him at the Senior Bowl.

4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Well, they are not the same player. Far from it. Two different positions.

And the jury is still not out on Pat White. He was brought in to play QB, first and foremost. His ability to run option-type plays made it more appealing in drafting him, but he was still brought in as a QB. The guy had an outstanding Sr. Bowl week and Combine, and, on top of that, an outstanding college career. Just because he was used for certain plays in his first year does not mean he is a 'Wildcat' option only.

Also, McCluster is much faster and much more elusive. McCluster IMMEDIATELY helps this team in STs alone. He also adds that needed "change of pace" back, which Miami does not use right now. This guy is a player. Just because he and Pat White have similar body-types, they are not the same player.

Thinking otherwise is pure naivete'.

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  5. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    What I meant was spending back to back second round picks on players who might be to small to play in the NFL. We have more pressing needs than a situational player like McCluster.

6. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Size and stature does not make the player. There are players who have played at a smaller height and similar weight who have been successful in the NFL.

I can, however, agree with your stance on taking a 'situational player' that high (although, I suspect he would eventually be worked into an offense's staple).

7. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    This interest in McCluster makes me think we were probably pretty high on Harvin last year. I know there were reports saying just as much, but this just solidifies it in my mind. I love Vontae, but Harvin would have been really nice.

8. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I dont like the idea of drafting McCluster and it will be a huge mistake he wont do anything for us it would be like the pat white pick all over again IMO

9. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i think we were high on Harvin .... and Boomer's reports validated that.

a guy 'similar' to that this year is Gilyard .... i'd be surprised if we don't spend some time with him .... after his escapade -- he seems very much like a Parcells type guy now.

10. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    They don't make the player, but it's always good to have them in this league. And if you look at it statistically, the law of averages tells you that although some small players have made it in the NFL, most don't, specifically because they are too small. In other words, the odds are against his making it. The team should be drafting the way Vegas thinks: according to probabilities, not possibilities. Unless the guy has shown in college that he could be the next coming of Barry Sanders or even Mike Garrett, recent experience should tell us that one small-guy debacle with Pat White may be enough for a while.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Miami interviewed AJ Edds, Golden Tate, Daryl Washington, Mike Tepper and Rodger Saffold too.

Colmax, 2k5 and GISH like this.
  12. cdz12250

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    And are there any of the above that you wouldn't like to see in a Dolphins uniform? :yes:

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    All of them. Tepper as a late round OG though.

14. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    What is with the Pat White comparison???

Look, I am bias because I went to school with him. I really want the guy to succeed in the NFL.

But with that, I think comparing him to Pat White (regardless of stature) has absolutely nothing to do with Dexter McCluster 'the player'. I understand the human nature to compare, but it is as relevant as comparing Ricky Williams to Lawrence Phillips. Didn't they both smoke a little pot? Or maybe the connection was Phillips was selling to Williams? Has nothing to do with production. I still think the jury is out on White. Also, McCluster hasn't played a down in the NFL, so who knows?

I think he would fit nicely in a Miami uni (unbiased opinion) based on the creative offense run by the team. I think he would thrive on a team with the ability to work him in. Who knows, he could be a bust. But to compare him to another player because of stature is unfair and unjust. The guy hasn't even played a down yet.

15. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i like this guy. he has a great attitude and seems to be a playmaker. but i dont know about having 3 guys on our team, playing at a buck sixty-eight, who have to avoid contact...or else they'll be obliterated at this level. literally. obliterated.

jetssuck likes this.
  16. cdz12250

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    The comparison is more about Pat White than it is about McCluster. McCluster could still turn out to be a Mike Garrett, while from what I saw last year, I have grave doubts about Pat White.

Sethdaddy8 hit the nail on the head. Small guys have a hard time staying healthy in this league.