1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McKinnie Half-Time Adjustment

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    From Dave Hyde's Hyde5 yesterday:

Great to have a veteran who can notice small things like this and make the adjustment. RT dropped back 20x in the 2nd half and was sacked once.

2. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Every DL has had success stunting against our OL since week 3. Why does it have to take a veteran LT to adjust and not the coaches over the last 12 weeks?

ToddPhin, dolfan22, Da 'Fins and 4 others like this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Honestly, shouldn't Jim Turner be the one to do this kind of thing?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

Sceeto, SeanP, unifiedtheory and 12 others like this.
  4. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Yup... I would have to agree. It's great to have some vet leadership on the line though. I have a hard time seeing Turner make it to next season.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bpk likes this.
  5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I guess someone has to step up and come up with key in-game adjustments, because it sure doesn't seem to be the coaching staff that frequently.

The fact that Bryant "Big Mac" McKinnie is a key source of veteran leadership is a little terrifying, too.

Bpk likes this.
  6. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I dont know why anyone is seeing this as anything other then a positive....GUYS..this is the kind of communication between players that wins games. Look at how Reshad Jones was keeping Michael Thomas in check..letting him know what was goin on in the backfield. Way to go Bryant....!!!!

7. Sippi

Sippi Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Excellent to hear about the veteran leadership. I believe this has been lacking for us. However, I agree with the above posts. Isn't recognizing things like this one of the reasons we have an OL coach?

8. HugeFinFan

HugeFinFan Woopsy Daisy!

Mar 22, 2008
    NY
    McKinnie is a behemoth of a human being. There's no way he's an ounce under 350.

9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    This is also why I don't mind the fact that they hold meetings in strip clubs. Leadership.

Sceeto, ToddPhin, vizi0n and 5 others like this.
  10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    When it comes to games being played up front, not easy to see some of the smaller things as they happen from the coach's perspective, especially if you're not in the booth.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    The thing is, since he's been here, he's seemed like a stand up guy. Playing well and saying the right things. Clean slate as far as i'm concerned...then again didn't we do that with Incognito?

12. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    You're right, and I don't think there are any grounds to complain about McKinnie. He's been quite good all things considering, and this is coming from someone who was very unhappy about him being signed. I'm more complaining about the rest of the team. I'm not sure there's a lot of quality veteran leadership around.

13. vt_dolfan

Man....Im not sure thats really the case though. I mean...maybe you dont put much stock into this December run, but given how low we were after the Tampa game, with the international constant drubbing of bullygate...to have our playoff fate in your own hands?

I mean..seriously...did you think we would be sitting at 8-6 needing to beat Buffalo and NY to make our first playoff appearance since 2008?

Theres gotta be some leadership somewhere for that....doesnt there?

14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Brenner is a newb,Mt McKinnie is as Vet as one can be,such covnos happen b/t two such players

GMJohnson likes this.
  15. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yes, and Joe Philbin deserves a ton of credit for keeping this team together through all the adversity. A TON of credit.

Bpk and Tin Indian like this.
  16. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Other than Wake,who are the playmakers that are veterans? And being a veteran doesn't make you a leader. It will be interesting over the next 2 years to see how this group gels and if the young guys take a quick step forward.

17. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I dunno. Is leadership the difference between Antonio Brown stepping out of bounds/Tom Brady throwing an interception in the end zone and the less fortunate alternative which would have placed those games in the same category as most all of the other losses?

18. vt_dolfan

[​IMG]

Is leadership why we forced Pittsburgh to need to run the equivalent of the Music City Miracle to hopefully pull out a win...at home...in the snow...with a QB who had never even played in the snow before?

Is leadership the reason why Dion Sims layed a key block to allow Charles Clay to make a key first down? Or Reshad Jones to talk and comfort Michael Thomas so he could make two huge season saving plays against a Hall of Fame QB. Or not getting down when our FG went bounce off of our place holders helmet.

Kinda like that Rorschach above right? Glass half full...Glass half empty kind of thing...?

Sceeto, ElNino and MrClean like this.
  19. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    As long as it is only ON the football field, and not off of it, we probably should be.... well... okay. If they go steamin' on South Beach... all bets are off!

20. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    There's a massive difference between leadership and experience/knowledge. This isn't an example of leadership IMO...

Hellion likes this.
  21. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Hopefully Jim can learn a thing or two from McKinnie. Can he?

Bpk likes this.
  22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Seriously, why isn't the offensive line coach making that adjustment?

Or the former offensive line coach that is now the offensive coordinator?

Or the former offensive line coach that is now the head coach?

23. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    The team has spent the entire season in situations where the last drive or two are the key to the game, that's nothing new or different. I don't think there is really a need to attribute anything to change, because the team hasn't really changed all that much.

24. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Him going to Brenner I think is the latter.

25. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Shoulda signed him in March instead of relying on a sorry *** tackle to increase his game tenfold in one offseason.

Da 'Fins, Bpk and TooGoodForDez like this.
  26. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I'm not really sure how any fans (or media guys that for that matter) can have any meaningful opinion one way or another about the level of leadership on any team. It seems to me that you have to spend a fair amount of time in the locker room, film room, etc. to know much of anything about that and even then it seems like a very subjective thing -- what makes a good leader to one person may not to another.

As for McKinnie, I'm hoping this is his second straight year where he comes in as a mid-late season replacement (yes, he was on the Ravens all last year but wasn't really playing until late), solidifies the LT position and helps his new team make a big playoff run.

CWBIII and Fin D like this.
  27. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Agreed. Sometimes you gotta be out there.

28. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I'm sure Stanford grad and all around "tough guy" Jon Martin would've recognized this also...

Da 'Fins likes this.
  29. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    All True. I'm just glad someone stepped up and fixed it!

30. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

1) Note to all those people who say making changes at halftime doesn't matter or doesn't even happen… would you have liked another 4 sacks in the second half? How might that have affected the outcome?
    Please Read Carefully So We Don't Debate This Again: Changes DO happen whenever the team has enough to time to speak words to one another, including at halftime.

2) Why the **** is Jim Turner not the one figuring this out. Please fire that dude. Without McKinnie's coaching (yes, Bryant literally had to do the coaches job at halftime) we would have taken more sacks in the second half, lost this ****ing game, and maybe even missed the playoffs. That's how big a difference a coach not making ONE adjustment in ONE game can be.

Fire Turner, because I like winning better than losing.

31. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

The same reason that if a five year old drove a truck into a parking lot, and came in and started shopping… instead of focusing on how impressed I was with him, I'd want to know why the **** the PARENT wasn't driving?

vt_dolfan likes this.
  32. vt_dolfan

Hadnt looked at it like that..but..good analogy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

33. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    This is my sense as well. The adjustment we are talking about here is a pretty fine one that the coaches may not even have been able to see from their vantage point. I have had my complaints about coaching and adjustments but I'm not sure this is a fair thing to indict them for.

34. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    By the time he consulted his mommy it would be to late though.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  35. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Jim Turner needs to be fired.

Philbin has staffing issues, we will find out how willing and able he is this offseason to do the task at hand.

Turner needs to be gone, no questions asked. I think Kevin Coyle needs to be fired as well, he is in over his head.

36. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    like others have said, jim turner is pretty useless. re-sign mckinnie.

37. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Why? He's not stupid. Been around the block a time or two. Seen about all there is for a lineman to see by now.

38. MrClean

What's wrong with Mac's background that he needs a clean slate from any of us? He likes girls, he likes sex with girls. He likes titties. He likes strip clubs. Big Fooking Deal. I'd bet the vast majority of forum members also like the very same things.

Tin Indian likes this.
  39. MrClean

So? Does that happen more with Miami than it does with most other teams? Seems like most of the games I watch between most teams come down to the final drive or two. We used to buckle in those situations in past years most of the time it seems. Now we don't so much. Who gets credit for that? Lady luck?

CWBIII likes this.
  40. MrClean

That name sounds vaguely familiar...