1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McShay on to something? ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
  2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Beckham? I like Lee much better. And Allen is much more of a finesse guy than a playmaker, and that's ok because he is a very good WR.

Cooks is debatable, that rare ability is normally hit or miss not much in between.

I see no reason to be upset about adding a player like Marqis.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Boik14 likes this.
  3. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Meh at McShey...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I know he has a no trades policy in his mocks, but if Donald makes it to the teens, that's a trade. We have two proven 4-3 DT's, and questionable depth. In two years, I'd be fairly happy with Odrick and Donald up front.

77FinFan likes this.
  5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think it's that crazy a leap, the Dolphins appear to very much be considering drafting a wide receiver, and it appears like they could even do it with their first pick.

6. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    From the article:
    Makes sense given that scenario. No real news here......no high caliber lineman or linebacker available....move along.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    This is what I'm trying to explain in the other thread about strategy, we've got to face and prepare that the lineman will not be there at 19..

I don't see Keenan Allen, Keenan Allen is a physical player, like a running back after the catch, a bad ***, this kid looks like a smooth player, glider, likes to catch on the run, move him around in formation, also, really rough childhood, has seen the war zone, lived thru close deaths, and seems mentally strong.

8. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    If he can get back to his 2012 form, then it's a good pick. But the keyword is "IF".

9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Victor Cruz perhaps?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    that's a good comparison, Cruz is built thicker, so safer in that regard, but they both like to run all over the field..

11. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    IF not olinemen are there worth taking then we certainly should be looking WR, TE, or defense if a stud drops to us.

12. surferosa

surferosa Balance and Vision

Mar 23, 2008
    Im all for it. Lee is much faster than 4.52 and his 38' vertical tells me hes plenty athletic. Last year this kid wouldve been a top 8-10 pick based on game film alone. STUD. Im happy to wait until round two to get a an OL/OG.

Aquafin likes this.
  13. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 2022 Mother's Day and May Flowers!

Apr 15, 2012
    Well hopefully that the team can get Allen. As really if they pass him up, the team may kick themsleves.

14. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Depending on who else is on the board, I would be a bit disappointed in Lee. His speed may not be 4.52 but something happened there. He didn't seem as dominant last year, either. Lee also is not a physical player. He could be the next Reggie Wayne or ... not.

I like Beckham for the reason that he fills two holes (WR and PR/KR). His quickness is abundantly clear and went up against some stellar competition in the SEC. He knows how to get open and make plays and is an explosive athlete. He'd be a great slot WR at the start with potential for more. He'd be a 3rd big play WR. I'm just not so sure Lee would be though if he is a great route runner he could be.

WR at #19 is a tough call.

We definitely need O-linemen as well as a WR. I'd hope for (can't actually guarantee) a trade down with someone like Cleveland at #26 (should be able to pick up one of their 4th rounders). That would give us more flexibility in drafting talent.

I think needs would be: #1 - OL (2); #2 - skill position on offense (mainly WR/TE); #3 - LB; #4 - any defensive position, starting with S then CB.

MAFishFan and DPlus47 like this.
  15. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    If we see a stud CB @ 19, I'd pull the trigger.

16. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Speaking of, Robey got charged w/ a DUI in Ohio. BAC ended up being only a measly .008, but if I am going to Radio City Music Hall to hopefully get drafted in the 1st round I'm not drinking anything stronger than a Mt Dew. I'm a total Buckeye homer and that is really stupid behavior on his part.

17. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    McShay's draft is textbook "we're screwed" scenerio. A trade would almost have to happen there, even if you couldn't get fair value.

18. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    I like Lee, but not more than Ebron, Martin, Clinton-Dix, Pryor, CJ etc. Plus it's a deeeep WR class.

If Donald is there I'm pouncing. Then I'm trading Odrick b/c the only thing he has proved this past season was that he's slightly better than a J.A.G. player. I believe we've seen his ceiling plus he's still young hence trade value.

Grimes dogs likes this.
  19. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Kyle Fuller. Stud. Rumored to be available at the pick.

Whenever I play these draft games and a stud player doesn't fall down the board to 19, Fuller is always my BPA available at 19.

jazz and ssmiami like this.
  20. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I'd rather invest a third or fourth for that position. Find a guy whom you can competently groom over the next year or two and then jettison older players. To date we have not had a backup defensive tackle brought up through the ranks in years. Kheeston Randall I thought would work out as he seemed to be a viable backup player. However, looking at what we currently have at the position, we need to add another body that we can groom. We don't an immediate starter, we need greater depth that we can depend on for 20 snaps a game.

As much as we would like to grab star players right now, we really need some depth on this team. We don't have enough depth at various positions to handle injuries and continue to produce. We are not a barren team by any means, but we do still need depth at certain positions. Corner, Tight End, Line Backer, Tackle, Guard, Running Back, Wide Receiver & Defensive Tackle.

I think we need an impact from players taken in the first three rounds this year. We truly do, just as much as we need more production from our draft class last year. Dion Jordan needs to produce more, and we need something from both of the corners taken last year. It doesn't mean we need them to start, but we need more than the 45 snaps Taylor logged last year I believe. We need about 400 snaps from one of them realistically just to see what we have in them.

DPlus47 and P h i N s A N i T y like this.
  21. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    The hype on corners has been quiet this draft season. I feel if OT and WR is picked clean by time 19 comes up, CB will be the pick.

22. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

American made Mt Dew is pure garbage. Anyone who drinks it is an blind fool. Along with drinking Powerade, Fanta Orange, Fresca, Squirt, Sun Drop and Sunkist Peach Soda. They all contain an unhealthy additive, brominated vegetable oil, that is illegal in the European Union, Japan, India, Singapore and other countries. The law against it's use in Singapore is so strict that it carries a 15 yr prison sentence. Here in the USA? No problem for the soft drink industry. Poison our citizens all in the name of profit. It's the same with many food additives allowed here too. The govt doesn't care. Maybe it will help more people die younger so they aren't drawing Social Security checks for as many years. Good for business. There are plenty of other reasons to not drink any soft drink, but for those listed BVO is the topper.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Will sutton in the fourth?

24. MrClean

It's hard to say without seeing McShay's entire mock draft whether Lee is the best choice at 19. IF, the top 3 OL plus Martin and Moses all go before 19 someone has to fall that is valued higher. I'd consider Calvin Pryor, and Ryan Shazier ahead of Lee, just to name a couple.

cuchulainn likes this.
  25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    On 90% of the draft games I've done be it first-pick.com or fanspeak.com, the best player available at pick #19 has been Kyle Fuller.

It's not ideal because between Cortland Finnegan, Jamar Taylor and Will Davis there are a lot of sunken resources into the CB position. However, were those GOOD investments? I don't necessarily think so. Dannell Ellerbe, Phil Wheeler and Koa Misi represent something akin to like $17 million per year average compensation on long term contracts. But were they GOOD investments? Not necessarily.

26. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I've been picking Dennard for the past 2 days at 19 on fanspeak. I'd be OK with Gilbert and Dennard but not Fuller or Verrett. Verrett's size and Fuller's speed are concerns I am not comfortable with.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Kyle Fuller ran a 4.40 unofficial and 4.49 official at the Combine. There aren't speed issues there on film or in underwear.

Darqueze Dennard ran a 4.42 unofficial and 4.51 official at the Combine. I don't see how you could hold him up as a guy that's OK speed-wise whereas you think Fuller is speed deficient.

28. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    On footage I saw, Fuller is an exceptional tackler (for a corner) and athlete, reads great and plays zone great, but does not play as physical as Gilbert or Dennard, and does not chase well. If his issue is not speed, something else is, physicality or quickness, something is wrong that when he gets beaten he is cooked.

29. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

Based on the latest cap figures for 2014. The Dolphins have nearly 28 million dollars tied up in their top four wide receivers for this coming season. It really isn't cost effective for them to cut any of their top three WR's and instead use their first round draft pick to take a WR.

I agree with you that the money being spent on the LB position appears to have been a bad investment so far. I would certainly prefer a top LB prospect with the first round selection if one is still on the board, over what would probably be a 4th or 5th WR on this team in 2014.

AT the CB position, Finnegan, Taylor, and Davis might end up being a good investment because they are all relatively cheap at this time. Whether they will actually be a good investment or not will be determined by how they play during the 2014 season. Personally I have my concerns regarding all the CB's on this team except for Grimes. If it came down to the Dolphins having to pick the best CB on the board or the best WR on the board when they pick at 19. I hope they take the CB.

Of course I still feel their two biggest needs are the OL and the LB position and it is one of these positions I expect them to select with their first and second round selections. It would not surprise me if they draft 3 offensive linemen and 2 LB's during this draft. I think adding another TE and one more CB is also very possible. The Dolphins not even taking a WR in this years draft would not surprise me at all.

DPlus47, ssmiami and ckparrothead like this.
  30. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seeing as it's a good possibility that Grimes and Finnegan are both gone by 2016, and it usually takes a few years for CBs to adjust to the NFL game, taking a highly talented prospect this draft isn't a bad idea.

jw3102 likes this.
  31. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Thanks gramps, I'll let you know if I want a diatribe on another subject.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Big. C drops knowledge like that all the time, I appreciate it.

DPlus47, ToddPhin, CWBIII and 3 others like this.
  33. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

MrC and I don't always see eye to eye on every topic discussed on this board, but I always value the knowledge he passes on in regards to not only football and the Dolphins, but also the world at large.

Personally as a gramps myself, I'm looking forward to living many more years and information like MrC imparts from time to time certainly makes me stop and think about things other than football. I am glad to know that these drinks have this particular additive in them and I'll purposely avoid them from now on.

Thanks for the info MrClean.

DPlus47, CWBIII, Den54 and 2 others like this.
  34. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Yeah MrC you keep going.

MrClean likes this.
  35. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Agree

36. MrClean

Keep slurping it down kid. Heck, buy those 41 ounce Big Gulps they sell at places like 7-11 and Circle K. Why should I care if you effect your body's ability to absorb iodine? Only 90% of Americans are deficient in iodine. You're probably part of the 10% who are fine.

cuchulainn and ToddPhin like this.
  37. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Saying that the gov "doesn't care" is a little misleading. BVO is a heavily regulated additive.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

38. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    WTF Mr C....why didn't I read this before I drank a damn Mt Dew this AM. Must research this BVO.

39. MrClean

How is it regulated in the USA when it can be put in any soft drink or sports drink for that matter they care to add it to? IF the govt did care, BVO would be banned here. Same as in the EU and Japan who seem one step ahead of us, at least, when it comes to things like this. Don't get me started on the need for GMO labeling.

DPlus47 likes this.
  40. MrClean

DPlus47 and ToddPhin like this.