1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McShay's Mock Picks for Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Georgia Fin, Apr 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Just saw what he thinks we'll take. Take a look:

1. Miami Dolphins -- Jake Long, OT, Michigan
    Record: 1-15 | Needs: OT, CB, WR, QB, G
    The Dolphins haven't had a true franchise left tackle since Richmond Webb in the 1990s, making this the right pick for them.

32. Miami Dolphins Chad Henne QB Michigan

57. Miami Dolphins (From San Diego) Charles Godfrey CB Iowa

64. Miami Dolphins Eddie Royal WR Virginia Tech

100. Miami Dolphins Mike McGlynn G Pittsburgh

195. Miami Dolphins (from Dallas) J Leman ILB Illinois

204. Miami Dolphins (Compensatory selection) Joe Jon Finley TE Oklahoma

208. Miami Dolphins D.J. Hall WR Alabama

245. Miami Dolphins (Compensatory selection) Darnell Terrell CB Missouri

Here's the whole ESPN mock draft link:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...ory?columnist=mcshay_todd&page=mcshaymock0423

PhinsRock, Kanye West and Jackson like this.
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Man... That scares me. I really like Henne, but I'm not sure I like the idea of using another 2nd round pick on a QB this year. I guess if the FO is nowhere near sold on Beck, fine, I'll deal with it, but I still think he needs a shot. If we end up trading JT and have an extra 2nd rounder, then maybe I could justify pickin a QB more, but right now, I'd prefer we didn't.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  3. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    I personally feel like there will be a good number of trades this year and that is going to throw everything off. I don't think anyone can really judge what's about to happen Saturday and Sunday, way too many variables. I must confess, I like the way it's started. Let's continue to solidify the Oline and Dline!!!:up:

RevRick likes this.
  4. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I gotta tell ya that draft doesn't impress me at all. I honestly don't think Henne will be an NFL QB with the slow release he has. The game is just to fast for that kinda release. As for the rest of the draft I just don't like it.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  5. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Not a fan of that mock whatsoever....and I'm really hoping we go defense with pick #32.

6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm hoping we can somehow finangle another pick so we can use that extra pick for defense and take a QB with 32.

7. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Don't be afraid.

Allow me to play devils advocate for just a moment...

For arguments sake (and the sake of good sense), lets just accept that QB is the most important position on the team.

If we can rightly assess that any second round QBs chance of being a quality starter in this league at less than 50%, (lets call it 35% for the purpose of this example), then drafting Henne, with Beck already on the team, gives us a 7 out of 10 shot of having a quality starting QB on our roster. And that's not giving McCown any consideration, which I think it to totally discount young Josh.

And drafting Henne does not in ANY WAY deprive Beck of his opportunity to play in this league. If this FO drafts Henne, and Beck outperforms him, Beck will play.

Let's get totally crazy and assume that Henne is absolutely ready to play in this league (better than Trent Edwards last year). And let's say that the light comes on for Beck and he shows that he is capable of leading an NFL team.

Thats a good problem to have. We could keep both (and be totally set at QB) or we could trade one. A QB that proves he can play (even if its just preseason) is a hot commodity in this league (see Matt Schaub).

If we ended the draft with these players, I would be ecstatic. I love Godfrey. I think he's going to be another Patrick Surtain. I also like the kid Lehman out of Illinois. Reminds me of Zach Thomas. Not big, not fast, all he does is make alot of tackles every game.

Eddie Royal can play and DJ Hall was outstanding at Alabama. Giving both of those kids a chance to make the roster would be a plus (I think both are better than Derek Hagan).

I don't know much about McGlynn from Pitt, but even if its not him and its just another G, that player is going to have a great chance to make the roster and a good chance to compete for a starting job. (My hope is that we draft the OL Zuttah, from Rutgers).

And all of this even without the possible trade for JT.

Nothing is guaranteed in this league, but I am already liking what I have seen so far in demeanor, attitude, and philosophy from our entire FO and coaching staff.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  8. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Trust that the coaching staff will do the right thing vis a vis the QB. If they pick him, his release is good enough.

Whats not to like about Godfrey, Royal, and Lehman? Have you seen any of these kids play?

And don't lock into "we must go defense at this/that pick". You never know who is going to be available.

For all of you that like John Beck, would you be willing to say that if he fails to be a good QB that you would quit your job? If not, then don't ask our coaches to put their jobs in his hands either.

Have faith that the FO will do the right thing at QB.

9. Sam

Sam Member

Nov 30, 2007
    With McCown being signed only for 2 yrs, drafting a qb, no doubt, was in their plans. So the thinking may be, why not increase the odds of the qb you drafted, succeeding in the NFL, by drafting a 4 yr starter at a major school who's had a lot of big games.

If the big 3 really want him, then we probably do have to drop back into the first round to get him though, apparently Cam did with Henne what he did with Beck, and if they (Ravens) don't get a qb with their first pick, they'll trade back into the first to get him. Also, Atlanta's rumored to probably do the same.

I thought the parallel with the Browns of last year was interesting...get the LT first, then go back into the 1st round for the qb.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=33297

10. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Trust me, when all said and done, I'll be on board regardless who we draft. But that doesn't mean I'll agree with the choices.

11. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
  12. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The problem is that if we draft Henne he may not get alot of playing time and we''ll be back where we started from this time next year, but in ana even weaker QB class.

13. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    We are not picking Chad Henne that early we will Dan Conner I hope

Phinperor and azfinfanmang like this.
  14. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    if quentin groves or dan connor are there at 32 i hope the phins are all over it
    if they have to draft a qb i wouldnt mind henne but i like brohm more

this is going to be a fun weekend

Phinperor likes this.
  15. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    The math doesn't really work...you'd have two players with a 3.5 out of 10 of success...making it 7 out of 20 that one of them succeeds for us. You can't double the chance of them succeeding without also doubling the chance of them failing...or maybe I just suck at math.

inFINSible and emocomputerjock like this.
  16. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I do too. However, if we really want Groves I'll think we'll more than likely need to trade back into the late first, Connor has the chance to fall to us at #32, especially if the Giants decide to go after a safety.

17. inFINSible

inFINSible Bad ministrator

Nov 26, 2007
    Or you just look at it like this, every one of them has a 35% chance to succeed. Every one of them has a 65% chance of failure. Drafting 10 of them doesn't change the individual odds.

18. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I like McShay, but not that mock, no - not at all.