1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mel Kiper on ESPN

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Boik14, Dec 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    A few minutes ago (about 620PM EST) he was on ESPN Sportscenter and said he views Tebow as a guy who will be a 2nd/3rd round pick who will get a shot at QB but ultimately he views Tim Tebow as an H-Back.

I know this will upset all the Gator fans around here and thats not my purpose. Kiper spoke fondly of him in that he said he feels he can play a variety of positions in the NFL ranging from LB to FB to TE but ultimately felt he wouldnt be a QB. Said whatever team draft him could use him effectively in the Wildcat formation but said his best position would be H-Back because his toughness and ability to run with the ball would be a good asset there.

Ultimately I feel he is more running back then QB at the pro level and time and time again, it has been shown that QB's from option or gimmick offenses struggle at the pro level. However, Tebow does possess some excellent leadership qualities and has an excellent work ethic that I think could allow him to stick as a QB in the NFL as a backup if Tebow does not want to change positions. :wink2:

Your thoughts?

2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think he's a quarterback that is going to have to sit on the bench for 2+ years, or play in a non-traditional offense.

I don't know how in the hell Tebow is going to play anything other than QB. Relative to your average runningback he's slow, not particularly powerful, and runs as upright as a fence post, with as far as I know no experience blocking or catching.

3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Make him a LB. He could be a special teams ace.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Agree 110%. Been saying the same. As for the catching, he did spend a year playing TE at a Christian Academy but then was moved to QB after he requested it.

5. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Tebow was having fun with him during a pre heisman interview.When asked if he had good hands TT responded that he never had any problems receiving balls under center .

I dont think he has much interest in the NFL and I expect he will be back for his Sr year.

When he is eligible I expect he will Find his mark in the NFL .He is the kind of player that when he is determined he can get the job done.Failure is not in his inventory

6. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't see how someone who is already in the CFB HOF, has a heisman, and a NC ring can't have any interest in playing in the NFL especially if failing is not an option for him. You'd think he would want to take the challenge head on, and prove people wrong.

7. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I think Tim should go see Urbane and tell him if I stay, some of our offense is under center. And then practice his fanny off on drop back mechanics.

8. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    I guess that why he would enter the NFL eventually .The challenge and the money he could use to further his missionary work.

I dont think it would be a long career .

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Not really following you here Crunch. Earlier you said he would find his mark in the NFL and then he would not have a long career. Are you saying he'd play a few years at a high level, making money and then walk away from the game?

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He'd make a good CFL Qb...if he wants to play pro ball, I'm sure they'd be interested in bringing him up North.

11. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007

If I had to guess I would say 6-8 yrs .He has stated that football is third or fourth in his list of priorities .He likes the idea of the the good that the NFL money that will allow him to use in missionary work .

alen1 likes this.
  12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

13. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    1. God
    2. Family
    3. Football?
    (not to sound offensive, but realistically speaking only one of the 3 pay the bills typically)

I don't know if he'd last 6-8 years if he doesn't take to a position. I'd say 5 years is the most likely bet (considering typical NFL careers and his collegiate talent/experience).

14. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I'd personally love to have a player with that kind of potential versatility. I've just got three words for you "Jim Crash Jensen".

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Here's the thing now. If his priorities are in that order, how does that affect his draft stock, assuming he reveals that information in an interview to GM's? How many organizations are going to risk a first or second round pick on a guy who may not play more than half a decade? I don't know what the percentages of second rounders being on a roster after half a decade but regardless of how high or low it is, you don't want to be part of that group that doesn't have their draft picks on their rosters.

Stitches likes this.
  16. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Its a legitimate question Alen and one that teams will have to consider before drafting him .

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm thinking that if he reveals that information to the GM's, he could drop a couple rounds (to 4th-5th).

18. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I've got two for you: Eric Crouch.

19. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I have two more back for you:

smart a**

:lol:

20. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Nah, nah, nah, naaahhh........I've got one word: retired. :lol:

21. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Frank Wychek is who Mel thinks Tebow can become.

22. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Just my 2 cents........I personally do not think you can rule Tebow out as a legitimate NFL QB. He does have a strong enough arm and his leadership skills are top notch and that skill is often under rated by scouts. With that said he is now an average Passer, but from where he was last year is a huge leap. So how much more will he improve is a question.

His footwork is terrible especially under pressure but he is such a hard worker and "determined to succeed" personality and seems coachable so he may continue to improve in that area. How much...who knows. He has a long, poor delivery that will need work and has a lot of wide open receivers that over match their competition. He obviously moves well and is tough, but the NFL hits will make those SEC hits seem trivial.

Overall he needs a lot...a lot..of work but his deficencies are coachable and he has the type of personality and work ethic that he will maximize his potential. I guess in the end it depends on how you view his upside because IMHO he WILL meet his upside with hard work and determination. He is IMHO a luxury pick, someone may fall in love with him and pick him higher than he should go, but IMHO he has about late second-top of third value. I also do not think he has that value as an HB/LB/TE or any other position as a transition player with no experience to speak of. If you pick him top 3rd then you are picking a QB.

Also IMHO he definitely should come out. The same questions will be there next year and he needs an extra "developmental" year to improve his mechanics, delivery and another year in the UF system will not help him as a player or prospect. He is a unique player and personality that should not be discounted.

CrunchTime likes this.
  23. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    I want to start by saying that Tim Tebow is a tremendous football player who I enjoy watching. With that said he does not have the techniques down to be an effective NFL Quarterback. Jump-passes might work in college but the pro-game is going to be tough for Tebow. His foot-work might be the worste that I have ever seen. Tebow will be a token player in the NFL. People will cover him and watch him due to his spotlight while in college. He could never be a true receiver and I see the whole H-Back/Tight End thing but he will never be an every down player. I think he will return to school for his Senior season

24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think that depends on whether he wins the championship or not, if he wins, i think he is so far advanced in the leadership category that he will have to challenge himself and go to the pro's, to him, it is his destiny to have the ultimate platform to express his fate.

P.s, i would'nt mind seeing the innovators of the wildcat take tebow 3rd round and later, ronnie, ricky and tebow runnin a wildcat package...Daddy like that.

25. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Interesting projection. Did Frank play QB at the high school or college level? He certainly was a longtime producer at a fairly high level as an NFL TE.

26. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I think Tebow could be very effective as a part-time QB in a Wildcat system. Maybe 8-15 plays a game. While not a great passer, his passing ability would have to be respected by the defense, the lack of which has been the main weakness of the Wildcat. One could run a spread offense/Wildcat hybrid that would be very difficult to defend.

A team like the Fins could run a bunch of variations on its Wildcat -- some plays with Ronnie at "QB" and Tebow as a receiving threat outside like we use Pennignton. Or we could use Tebow as a TE/H-Back in some normal formations and then move shift to Tebow as the Wildcat QB with Pennington out wide. At times, we could have Tebow, Pennignton and Ronnie all on the field at the same time and all could potentially take the snap from center on any given play.

Second round seems too high for this role, but 3rd or 4th is not unreasonable. Especially since Tebow seems like the kind of guy who would be generally good to have on a team and in the locker room.

ASUFinFan likes this.
  27. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Everyone always talks about the load that college runningbacks take, and how that load will translate to the pros/length of career. How heavy it is and so on. If Tebow does stay for his senior year, and the beatn that he has taken already, how long can that hold up? Last year, I believe he was tackled almost every single play. I know thats an exaggeration, but if this kid keeps beatin his body up in college, how much left will there be? I am not sure the answer, I am just bringing the question up. I think he is an amazing college player though, that is for sure. Love watching his fire during games.

28. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    bump...

Does anyone else think along the same lines as me? or no? Disagree or not, I'm just really looking to see what the rest of you think. Guy has taken a beating already, let alone stay one more year at Florida. Also, this guy could run the wildcat perfectly. Him and Ronnie, and Ricky, with Ginn could be rediculous. Even if you take Tebow as a TE. Add him to this wildcat offense and its dynamic as it gets...

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think he runs too upright and would absolutely take an incredible beating in the NFL. I don't see him changing positions and I'm not high on him as a QB. He has a lot to work on and I wish him well. He's a brilliant mind and just as great of a person, I hope he has success at the next level but its going to take a lot of work for sure. The question I have with him is that just how much does he want to play in the NFL? I'm not questioning his effort here, more of his priorities. I know Crunch said that football is third on his list of priorities. That's a huge question mark IMO.

30. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I think before anything you draft him as a qb. Then if that does not pan out you switch his postion. I dont get why all these experts are saying Tim Tebow wont have a chance at qb? Where are they getting this from. I think it is because he reminds them of Mick Vick I could be wrong. But if that is the case I think Tim Tebow is better them Mike Vick. I did not think Mike Vick was a good qb or a good running back. Can some one explian to me where these experts are getting the idea Tim Tebow will be bad as an NFL qb.

31. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008

They said that about Adrian Peterson.

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He has poor mechanics. He breaks down under pressure, his footwork completely falls apart, he's inconsistent with his accuracy as well. He'll make one very good throw and then come back with an awful one. He's just sloppy overall through his game in my opinion. He has a lot to work on.

Also, I can agree with you on Vick not being a good QB but not a good RB? I thought he was a helluva runner.

33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    And he's gotten banged up because of it.

Stitches likes this.
  34. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    Yea maybe a good scrambler as a qb but when they lined him up as runningback he sucked.

35. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    When was this? I only saw him run an option play and it stopped there.

36. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    But he aslo was rookie of the year in 2007.

It has alos gotten him

363car 1706 yards and 10 touchdowns.

37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Right. He has been productive but he's been banged up along the way.

Kanye West likes this.
  38. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    Well he was line up as runningback a few times. He was a good running qb. But that is it.

39. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    agree.

40. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I agree with what you are both saying. Just I look at things differently I guess. With Henning, and the way our offense has been using gimmicks with our playmakers, you could throw tebow in as our fb, te, out wide, at qb, basically anywhere in the wildcat. The wildcat gets positive yards off mismatches and the speed we have on offense. Speed isn't a positive of Tebow's but thats why I threw the fb in there as well. I am no offensive coordinator, but if any offense fits him, it has to be ours right now. I am also a firm believer in determination, and Tebow has more of that than anyone I see in college. Look at that little guy Welker.

Just read through most of the thread, and basically I agree with Fineas.