1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melvin Ingram visiting Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, May 24, 2021.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

2. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    A serious pass rush combined with our secondary? Only a running team would stop us, and they can't do that if the offense is putting up points.

I don't see how the Chiefs can outbid us for him, but they must be pushing the cap hit to the future to try and win now (not that I blame them for going that route).

KeyFin likes this.
  3. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The team seems to be making a lot of short sighted moves lately, signing players that won't be around very long. At least most of them seem to be on inexpensive contracts. But still, I'd rather give those roster spots to young players who could develop into longer term options.

5. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    There have been a lot of one year contracts, but we've also been one of the youngest teams in the league with developing players right throughout the roster. I don't think we're not doing what you say. I think we're looking for added value and gap fillers wherever we can find it while that young core develops, thus the short contracts.

6. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I wonder what cap moves they will have to make to do this signing.

8. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    For once, we're building through the draft instead of FA. I'm ok with our FA approach. See what these guys can do for you and then pay them. Maybe you pay more if they produce but at least you don't get bogged down with big contracts and players that aren't producing.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm actually a big believer in building partly through free agency. Sign key veterans that will be important starters that way. But for the fringe players, I would really rather see them use draft picks and other young players in those roles, rather than someone near the end of their career who will basically be a progress blocker.

10. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    We have youth at every single position on the roster.

The rebuild is over. We don’t even possess our own 1st round pick next year. It’s ok to add key vets for depth and to Insulate some of the young guys.

We should no longer be asking how old a guy is... we should now be asking can he help us win?

I’d like Ingram. Would probably like Justin Houston more. Got more versatility in a 3-4 defence and healthier.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  11. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    To me, that says we're expecting to make a run at the division this year. I don't mind the one-year "prove it" deals at all.

mlb1399 and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    It very well could mean that's what the team intends. I don't personally think that they're capable of achieving that without the Bills suffering injuries to key players.

KeyFin likes this.
  13. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    So.... you're saying there's a chance? Who knows how the season unfolds, and a couple plays here and there by some veteran players could be the difference between playoffs and sitting at home once again.

14. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    100% agree it’s not all about stats but motivators and having experienced players showing to new how to do this at a professional level. We should always be adding key veterans at specific positions of weakness imho.

Someone who can set the tone for the squads

15. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada

Fishhead, Silverphin, mlb1399 and 2 others like this.
  16. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    From PFT:
    Edge rusher Melvin Ingram was in Miami to visit with the Dolphins this week and head coach Brian Flores was asked on Wednesday about the chances of Ingram signing on with the team for the 2021 season.

Flores didn’t offer much in the way of odds or anything else. He confirmed the meeting took place and said nothing to indicate that a signing is imminent, likely, or unlikely.

“Melvin as a player over the years I’ve seen him, he’s had a nice career,” Flores said, via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald. “He’s had a very productive career. As a run player, as a pass rusher, as a disruptive defensive player, I’ve seen that from him. We do our due diligence on any player that available. That’s the case with Melvin. We brought him in and had conversations. I’m not going get into what those specific conversations were with Melvin or what our conversations have been internally about the possibility of adding him or not adding him. We do our due diligence. In this instance we’ll see where that is. We’ll see where it goes from here.”

Ingram met with the Chiefs in March, but has not been linked with other teams since free agency got underway.

Pennington's Limp Arm likes this.