1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorial for 39 fallen soldiers

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by USArmyFinFan, Jun 20, 2008.

1. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Today, at 0900, a memorial for 39 fallen soldiers from my squadron was dedicated at Ft Bliss texas. The families of most of the Soldiers who I served with in Iraq were present and it was a very touching moment.

There was a monument erected for the brave men, It is aprox. a 1 1/2 ton slab of granate with a brass placerd stating all their names, combat time and unit info. It is set on a concrete base with benches and a flag pole so that a US flag can fly in there honor. It is very impressive.

Something I want to share though, is what one of the fathers of the fallen soldiers said to all of us there today "I use to think my son was dead, that he died in Iraq, but what I want to share with you today is that I have relized, he is in fact alive, he lives in my heart and will continue to live on now through me, and this memorial. I was told he is a hero, that he paid the altimate price for his fellow soldiers and his Country, I am here to tell you, this did not make him a hero, he was my hero from the day he was born, he was my son, my friend, and a fellow soldier. The last thing I want to share with you is what hero truley means, and you can apply this to all of our children, H his/her E energy R reached O others."

he closed he speach there, but as you can tell, I do not ever think I will forget it, I wanted to come home right then and hold my children, and tell them how much they mean to me and how much I love them.

What I want to ask, no matter what your feeling on the war, or your political views. Thank those who put their lifes on the line, so that you my have your views and express them without fear of Persecution. God bless America!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

What a touching story!! It brought a tear to my eye, as I have a nephew serving his second tour in Iraq right now. I agree with him,though, that being a soldier does not make you a hero, it makes you brave. I also believe that we need to support our troops, no matter how much we disagree with the war, or the presidents decision to send us there.
    We should all stand behind them, and be thankful for all the soldiers who have laid down their lives so that the rest of us can sit in the comfort of our homes and discuss what they are doing over there.

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  3. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    God bless you, my prayers are with you.
    I pray daily for our men and women in the military.
    I'm proud to support each and every one of them.
    God Bless America!!!

USArmyFinFan likes this.