1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Merged] Alex Smith visiting Dolphins today...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Miamifan1354, Mar 18, 2012.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I also saw in an article that the 49ers had 44 sacks last year. The most in the NFL. If there wasn't an opening and Smith couldn't throw it away he just ate it instead of forcing the ball.

It does not surprise me that it would be like that and I am not dismissing what your saying but not having a decent receiving core to throw to doesn't help. How many of the sacks are related to the linemen or coverage I also am not sure.

With a better line and decent receivers I wonder what Smith could do????

Not that we currently have any of those attributes or anything.....

2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Lets bring in Ronnie Brown while we're at it! Or maybe Cedric Benson....or Cadillac Williams!

Jesus christ that top 10 in 2005 was bad.

3. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    This is most likely all a leverage game. But the fact that Miami would take him in shows they probably would sign him if they could. Doubt it will happen.

But I would take Smith, we don't have too many options, Matt Moore or Matt Flynn being the others. I'd take the one who was in the NFC Championship, and even though he didn't do much, he didn't hurt the team either, they gave up two scores on special teams blunders that lost them the game. Smith did a good job with bad WR's...Ted Ginn was a starter, that should tell you something. But the Dolphins don't have too much in that position either, unless they do trade up for Blackmon.

You would wonder if last season was just a fluke and great coaching, but there is only one way to find out. Considering the crap we've gone through for 12 years, Smith's 2011 looks like an MVP season compared to it all.

If the Dolphins were so high on Matt Flynn they could have worked something out by now. Philbin worked with him in GB, he would know better than any of us.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  4. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    I get what your saying about his WR corp, they were terrible. But as of right now I don't think we're much better if at all at that position. On our local sports talk radio knbr, was going over the whole QB situation and (this is all speculation but It came from a knowledgable niner reporter) that Smith was responsible for at the very least 15 of those sacks. I haven't rewatched any other niner game besides the championship game to know if that's accurate or not. But their defense and special teams carried them. Our defense won't keep us in games like the niner defense. I may have overreacted by saying he's terrible but to me is just not a franchise guy or the guy we need to move forward with since it seems now that we are rebuilding.

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    compare:

No. 1 pick NFL draft & starting QB taking his pathetic team to the post season (#2 seed bye)
    with the No. 7 pick, backup QB, who had some success in a game with the best NFL offense in the league.

just something to think about...

6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Only 17 TD passes and 3,144 yards in this day and age of the NFL says all you need to know about Alex Smith.

Best case scenario: He plays as well as he did last year and continues to be a game manager.
    Worst case scenario: Without the tutelage of Jim Harbaugh he completely devolves into what he was prior to last year.

Another thing to consider: The 2011 Alex Smith is the exact type of QB a GM with a Parcellian philosophy would covet. A game manager who will limit mistakes. Let the defense and running game win the game. For those of you who have been suggesting Jeff Ireland is not Bill Parcells the past few days, take note.

But now let me blow your mind. 49ers kick their game manager QB to the curb in favor of a hall of fame vet. Game manager QB falls into our lap. Hell, we even play the 49ers this year, don't we? Sound like a familiar story?

Problem being best case scenario we know how this story ends. A very short trip to the playoffs and a QB that's not good enough to get us to the next level. We're stuck without a true answer to the position for another 4 years.

History repeats.

BayAreaFinFan likes this.
  7. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    yep and everyone was willing to bet the farm because that was who was available. What ever happened to weighing all your options and signing the best player that fits what you do. It is sad that this has become the normal way of doing things. Didn't matter wheather Cadilac Williams was gonna be around in 2 or 3 years all that mattered was they they rolled out the cash

8. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    My thought process revolves around several things. The main one thing, Is there a QB coming out that will fall to us at where we are picking? A QB that can play sooner then later. The answer is no. So we have to take the best available right now to fill the gap and draft the best player available. Maybe a receiver or another Tackle, pass rusher, etc. Shoot we need so much where do you start. I like Smith because he may be a hidden gem given the problems the 49ers had at receiver. What I do like about Smith is he is a game manager. Not sure about the 15 sacks. Given the circumstances I may rather have a 10 yard loss then a Pic. At least I would maintain possession of the ball to punt, try again etc. Smith at least would give us a chance. I am absolutely 110 % for Moore competing for the job also. may the best man win

9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Looks like Smith "took care" of 6 4th quarter comebacks. :wink2:

You mention the sacks like they're his fault. Isn't that more of an indictment of the pass protection, which he's had very little of during his career?

2socks likes this.
  10. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I f we get end up with Matt Moore again or Tannehill then we can already count on having a losing season. this front office is screwing up any hope we have for getting better and in the sun sentinel is was mentioned that by trading Brandon Marshall we have gotten weaker. I cant argue against this

whoever said Tannehill is a great qb doesn't know sqat he was voted most overrated by the fans of the big 12.

Griffin was voted 31 Weeden #2 Landy Jones #3 the kansas state kid #4 the Missouri qb #5 the Iowa State qb #6 so if you dont follow the big12 then dont put Tannehill above the better qbs. the guy gets rattled too easily and Sherman is a clown so dont count on him being a savior as o.c.

Flynn , Smith , Weeden or bring back Marino and Oj McDuffie .

11. hitman

hitman Member

Mar 18, 2012
    NJ
    All this means is that San Francisco made a bad draft pick, and the Packers made a good one. Nothing more. Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round.

12. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Without looking it up name 1 of his starting receivers

Pause waits

Tedd Ginn Jr

Enough said

13. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Michael Crabtree

14. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Vernon Davis. A tight end I know, but to discount him as a receiving option wouldn't be very fair.

15. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    pretty good though i had to look it up....lol

16. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    No one is keeping you here. Take a walk if you don't like it. I'm just tired of the continuous whining. What is the point. Send the team an email or something.
    Crying on a message board won't solve it. Get off your ***, show some balls and call the team.
    If you want to be miserable fine but some of us don't.

2socks likes this.
  17. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Josh Morgan, maybe one of the best blocking WRs in the laegue

18. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    72 874 4

wow these numbers are worthy of sainthood here in Miami.......

19. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    another steller receiver

15 recp
    220 yrds
    1 td

so good he is now with the skins

49ers are cleaning house for Manning

20. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    There is nothing to be happy or thrilled with what this organization has done so far.

21. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Didn't say he was a pro bowler, just naming wrs on San Fran last year...

22. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    How about our receiving core? I wouldn't say much better at all...

23. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008

Everyone wanted Manning and that sucked up the whole process. We should have stayed out of that circus.
    People would have cried if we didn't stick our nose in there and now they cry over the result.... pathetic.

bgbdwolf31313 likes this.
  24. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Godforbid we set our standards high.

GreysonWinfield likes this.
  25. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Exactly how would Smith be an upgrade at the QB position for the Dolphins? He is nothing but an average QB at best and he appeared to be a complete bust until he was lucky enough to play for Harbaugh last season. The fact that Harbaugh and the 49ers are now interested in signing Manning and Smith is free to look at other teams in free agency tells me all I need to know in regards to what the 49ers really think about Smith as their QB going forward.

If this is the big upgrade Ross was talking about at the QB position, I'll pass. I'm not crazy about the Dolphins signing Flynn, but going after Smith seems absolutely crazy to me.

In the Miami Herald this morning, Barry Jackson noted that due to lagging ticket sales, the Dolphins likely will reduce stadium capacity next season. If Smith is the Dolphins starting QB next year, the Dolphins will likely be able to cut out about 30,000 seats, because they will be lucky to draw 45,000 fans to their home games.

26. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I get it dude. I am meerly trying to demonstrate that we need to take Smith's numbers maybe not so seriously. He may be a whole lot better then any of us realize. Given the receivers he had and a first year coach, learning on the fly and 6 yrs of past **** to deal with , his numbers are impressive to me. Given the circumstances.

27. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    We should have never got into the Manning ordeal. It set us back and now people are pissed about it.
    I thought it was a bad idea from the start.
    I knew it was going to play out that way and tried to warn most here. Once again no one listens.

28. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    The meer fact that Harbaugh wants to give Smith 3 yrs 24 million says alot

He is an upgrade because we got nothing else

Moore has to learn a completely new offense and there will def be a learning curve. Smith brings those attributes also but they come limited.

I hate it, but we are rebuilding. Smith at least will make us somewhat respectable. More gets us 4 maybe 5 wins with a new system. He could prove me wrong but I doubt it.

We need a vet to bring the system along.

Remember a learning QB ******s and prolongs the learning curve/the system for ALL the players.

Smith will make us better much faster. If he turns out to be a stop Gap...then so be it. There really isn't anyone else for us to draft anyway.

29. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    I don't know if it really set us back. All the other options available before are still there. I am glad they took a shot at manning. Hey we didn't get him but at least they tried.

30. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    he's the best option for this team right now IMO... I'm not opposed, but not doing cartwheels either.

31. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Manning was never going to come here. Manning is a winner, a leader. He wants a ring. Manning will indirectly tell you who is closest to the show by who he chooses. I think he is a 49er.

We simply do not possess that atmosphere yet. Philbin will get there it is just gonna take some time. Philbin knows what that looks like he came from the not so long ago World Champions. Decisions will seem crazy but they want to put the best possible team on the field. That I do believe. Weather Ireland sticks around to see it get done is another story. He is on his last year of his contract so we will see what happens.

32. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Duh, he was in a new system AGAIN. lol. What else do you expect Harbaugh to do? Overwhelm Smith again for his umpteenth time in a row?

Harbaugh didn't "bend over backwards to make him a caretaker"; he WISELY took care in easing Smith into his new offense and knew HOW to (because he's a great coach unlike his predecessors) so that there's less pressure on Alex and thus a greater chance for Alex to succeed and DEVELOP, you know--- that important QB trait that he was never really subjected to until 2011. And what resulted? Smith finally displayed some of the promise that intrigued the Niners to take him #1, and by the playoffs he was going toe to toe with Drew Brees in a remarkable QB performance that was anything but a "caretaker" role. Smith OWNED that game.

The Niners Defense allowed 14.3 ppg (2nd best over the past 3 years), and the offense featured a strong ground game (they didn't spend a 1st round pick on Iupati to not run the ball), so why would Harbaugh intentionally jeopardize wins by putting too much on the shoulders of a QB in a new system and especially with a mediocre receiving corps and considering Smith was being beaten up and mentally demolished the previous 6 seasons? HOWEVER, when Harbaugh did need his QB to win games, Smith had 6 4th qtr victories.

Some of this overboard hate for Smith is silly. San Fran didn't go 13-3 in spite of him; they went 13-3 WITH him and were a few botched plays away from a SB birth WITH him. Give the guy some freaking credit b/c it takes at least a little bit of talent to throw only 5 INTs to 22 TDs over 18 games. No matter WHAT Harbaugh does, Smith is still ultimately the one responsible for executing, and in a QB driven league, there's only so much hiding of the QB you can do before it starts to COST you games, and seeing as SanFran went 13-3, I'd say Alex wasn't hidden as much as people are trying to make him out to seem.

54Fins, 2socks and dolfan32323 like this.
  33. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Um the whole process of FA not just the overly blown out of proportion QB position.

34. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Yes, Tannehill is more of a QB than I think. Our current OC thought enough of him as a QB to play him at WR for 2 and a half years. That only proves that he was athletic enough that he needed to be on the field. It doesn't change that Tannehill will need more work at the next level to become a legitimate QB. Nor does it change that Weeden is more polished already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Could you imagine the story: Philbin helps #1 pick get revenge on Rodgers.

36. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    So basically you are stating that signing Smith will allow the Dolphins to be respectable. To me, this is merely another way of saying the Dolphins will be able to be the same mediocre team they have been for much of this past decade. Personally I am sick and tired of the Dolphins striving to be respectable, (average). I want a team that can complete and win against the best teams in the NFL, not just win games against the other mediocre to bad teams in the NFL.

Ireland has been the GM for the last four years and it appears that some fans are happy with the Dolphins possibly being a respectable team in 2012. God, how expectations for this organization have diminished since the Shula era ended.

37. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    I completely agree, smith could be a gem, he proved last year he can keep his **** together and bring his team back. They had an awesome defense to help the game manager approach harbaugh had him play. He showed he could play great against the saints, BUT, he also showed up until last season that he was immature with his *****ing on the sidelines, bad throwing decisions, and not living up to the #1 overall pick he was. There are plenty of pros to smith, but a lot of cons as well. As I said before I'd like to have Flynn even if he is a system guy, because this is his system that we will run. He's a damn hard worker and always picked the brains of those in front of him, when he had a chance to play he shined. For every kolb and cassell their are others who have proved themselves worthy of being a quality starting QB we need to pull t he trigger on a QB this offseason

38. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Yea, why would the Dolphins have any interest in signing Manning, one of the top QB's in the history of the NFL, when they could just settle on signing some second tier QB that most of the teams in the NFL have absolutely NO interest in?

39. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    So that gives you the right to demean others for calling out this front office on its bull****?

Seriously, cut out the holier than thou act.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  40. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I understand your frustration. If you think that Philbin is going to come in here and make us a superbowl team his first year you may want to reacess. It will be a minimum of 3 to 4 years before we will even sniff a division title less alone the playoffs/ superbowl. I would rather be 8-8 , 9-7 then 4-12. Smith gets us there. Again....there are no other forseeable options at the moment. It is damage control at this point, which was why I was so against getting rid of Sparano. This is where we are now and it is sad.