1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Merged] Alex Smith visiting Dolphins today...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Miamifan1354, Mar 18, 2012.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    what did they offer him? If he was all that I am sure Philbin would have snagged him. **** he signed for 3 /26 mill with Seattle. Almost exactly what the 9ers offered Smith

2. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    sounds like a decent proposal

3. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    wow can you imagine Colin learning from manning....you guys would be set for 15 yrs

4. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Pics please

5. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Its the same amount the 9ers offered him.....3/24, maybe just longer term-5yrs/40mill

Alex44 likes this.
  6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Interesting, I hadn't seen numbers on him. Shows me we aren't the only team that feels he is worth something.

7. NINEster

NINEster New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    49er fan here, checking in on the action in the Dolphins community with this story.

A few things first:

1. I really wanted Peyton to go to Miami from the get go. The franchise deserves Marino 2.0 more than anyone, and it bothered me that it didn't happen.
    2. The Dolphins franchise is not being run well. This sucks but it is not permanent. The 49ers had about 20 years of excellence followed by 10 years of ineptitude, the last part being a switch of having the team run by the son and not the parents.
    3. Ideally I still want Alex Smith with the 49ers. After watching every game last year, I am sold that Smith can be a very good QB for the 49ers.

Ok, so I'm here to talk about Smith and be as objective as possible to give you guys some hope that he's better than he's given credit for (in case you happen to land him). A lot of 49er fans don't seem to like him (about 70%) but if you look at the history of the team, you have Joe Montana, Steve Young, even Jeff Garcia was pretty good. But the same could be said about the Dolphins too with Marino. A lot of spoiled 49er fans, I'll be ready to admit it.

One of you guys posted a lot of good info on why '05-'10 weren't great seasons -- a college offense that wasn't pro-ready, 7 different offensive coordinators in 6 seasons is sure to stunt most QBs growth. His '06 season was pretty decent under Norv Turner before he bolted to San Diego. An interesting article I came across mentioned that his 2nd season QB rating was higher than Troy Aikman's 2nd season rating (another Norv Turner QB) before the career paths diverged. Additionally, Smith was injured for a good chunk of the '07 and '08s seasons.

Some of you know that Aaron Rodgers was drafted in '05 like Smith. I'd say Rodgers is more talented than Smith. But I'd also say his situation was way more favorable (backing up Favre in that offense, with continuity -- very Steve Young like career path). Had the Niners pulled the trigger on Rodgers, would he be as elite or another "sh*** QB"?

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 49er management and the team sucked in the 2000s. After the 2003 season, they dropped their entire roster....Garcia, T.O. being the biggest losses. Firing Mariucci officially ended the era of the 49ers of old. Dennis Erickson came in, was horrible. Mike Nolan and Singletary were good for building a defensive roster but contributed nothing offensively, and as you know coaching is more than Xs and Os -- neither really could handle this time like Harbaugh. It almost was like an NFL karma for having Bill Walsh and George Seifert running the helm for so long.

As for last season, let's break it down.

The gist of it seems to be that the 49ers M.O. was to run a ball control offense, score enough points to take a lead, then get very conservative. There were so many situations where they were content to get conservative where most teams wouldn't. The risk taking was definitely very low, and relied on the defense to keep the games close.

What's interesting is when you analyze what happens when the 49ers were forced to do something. The Bengals game in week 3, neither offense was clicking most of the game. But towards the end Smith puts together a drive to win the game.

The game against the Eagles a week later, down 23-3 at halftime, Smith threw for almost 200 yards in the 3rd quarter alone and the 49ers won 24-23. I don't think there's a 20 point Eli Manning comeback in the books yet.

The Lions game a few weeks later, a do or die drive at the end he throws a bullet to Delanie Walker on 4th and goal from the 5 to win the game.

There was a great drive against Seattle to take the lead on Christmas Eve, which included a long completion to Crabtree and a 4th down throw to Vernon Davis.

Of course there was the Saints playoff game that I believe everyone saw. If you look at the scoring of that game, it almost fits to a TEE the Harbaugh/Smith connection:

Quick 17 points off the first 3 turnovers -- urgency, because we gotta "outscore Brees". Then a lack of urgency, and some drops by Crabtree and the Saints are back in it. Then matching the Saints tit for tat at the end. Again, urgency. Some unbelievable throws were made.

Giants game was interesting. 49ers always seemed to catch up when the Giants took the lead but fell flat when the game was tie. The receiver situation was atrocious compared to the corps the team fielded against the Giants in week 9 where Smith probably completed the ball to more different receivers than he had all season.

I think Smith was partly responsible, but I think when you put it all together he did a very good job. NFC Champ. game is a huge event.....I think Smith was more worried about screwing up than taking the victory. If the Giants had a 3 point lead mid to late 4th quarter, it would have been very interesting to see what would have transpired.

My honest opinion on Smith right now is that he's no longer a "virgin" QB. That was taken last year, Harbaugh got that out of him. I feel that he could continue in the west coast offense under Philbin and be productive (as productive as most "non elite" QBs could be with Miami's offense). If Philbin wants him to AIR IT OUT, he sure can. Smith is not always a game manager. All depends what the coach wants, and the game situation. It's like he becomes a different guy in a close game late in the 4th.

As far as his limitations, I don't think he is or will be a Montana or Peyton Manning extracting every ounce of talent from a subpar receiving corps. And to further this point, he needs chemistry with his receivers more than the typical QB. Michael Crabtree never lived up to this skipping training camps and preseasons his first three seasons. Josh Morgan was his best receiver in this regard and went down in a meaningless drive against Tampa. Vernon Davis established that trust and Smith looks every bit like Tom Brady throwing to him.

My thought on the current state of the NFL (which annoys the hell out of me) is the over reliance on QUARTERBACK, QUARTERBACK, QUARTERBACK. All wins/losses are pinned on QBs. You don't have Brady/Eli/Peyton/Rodgers/Brees/etc. you "cannot win the championship", despite how close we came to a "non elite QB superbowl". You need a well balanced team to win. To bank on getting an elite QB in my opinion isn't enough because there aren't enough to go across 32 teams. If anything an elite QB is just an equalizer to make up for a nonbalanced team.

Dan Marino, greatest to never win one. No 1,000 yard WR/1,000 yard RB combo in Miami until last year?? Unbelievable. The homer in me might have to think he might actually be best ever, even over Joe Montana.

A lot of questions still not fully answered. Not sure if the Alex Smith 49er saga will reach it's completion (another year or two).

In the meantime, the Dolphins will have to improve the team. Which may mean keeping Matt Moore over a FA QB.

I hope Alex returns to SF and finish what he started. If Alex goes to Miami, I will wish him well, add Dolphins to my list of side teams and look forward to our battle later this year.

Good luck guys. The NFL is better with a strong Dolphins franchise.

Fin D, 2socks, SICK and 2 others like this.
  8. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    the 49ers offered him a 3yr, 24 mill deal. He walked because he wanted longer terms

Even more interesting is Flynn signed with Seattle a little while ago for 3 yrs/ 26 million........so we must have been way off of that or Flynn saw it as his last chance. ? then is who is Matt Flynn that we offered him substantially less. If anyone knew what he was worth it would be Philbin. Maybe he is not that good.

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    ^ Great post by the 49er fan. Too long for me to quote it but I mainly agree with it all.

10. NINEster

NINEster New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    BTW, I can say a few things about Peyton Manning that are less than flattering when it comes to post season play. At this stage, I think he could only take the 49ers to a superbowl. The other teams will face Colts like results which are not all perfect.

My quick fact: 2006 superbowl season, 3 TDs, 8 INTs in the playoffs. Pats blew the champ game, and the superbowl wasn't flawless. This was his *best* season.

Pick 6 against the Saints...SMH. That's not elite.

Don't get me wrong, the dude can move the ball. But at this stage of his career, a SB with team 2 after having a HoF career with team 1 has never happened:

Joe Montana Chiefs - No
    Favre Vikings - No
    Namath Rams - No

Kurt Warner Cardinals - close but no cigar