1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged: Barry Jackson/Miami Herald news and notes

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    several veteran defensive players have expressed surprise with how much Chad Henne has injected himself into the race, outshining John Beck and challenging front-runner Josh McCown, who threw three interceptions Tuesday.

Although Miami could sign former Cowboys receiver Terry Glenn at any point this preseason, a decision has been put on hold in recent days while both sides consider their options. The delay is giving Glenn more time to get into better condition, and it's giving the Dolphins more time to evaluate their current group of receivers.

In the meantime, Derek Hagan and Ted Ginn Jr. continue to impress coaches

Ginn has matured in two areas, which coach Tony Sparano noted Tuesday: 1) His route-running ''has improved tremendously,'' Sparano said. ''He's got more of a plan at the line of scrimmage.'' 2) Ginn got ''a lot stronger'' in the offseason conditioning program, allowing him to win more ''battles at the line of scrimmage,'' Sparano noted. And Sparano said he has ''developed a little bit of a wiggle at the top of his route that has proven to be a good separator'' from defensive backs.

Most improved Dolphin? Bell pointed to Jason Allen and Hagan . . . Donald Thomas has now gone a week with the starting unit at right guard, and teammates think he might stick. ''He punches people and they go flying,'' Justin Smiley said of Thomas' blocking . . . In a sign of respect, Bill Parcells called Don Shula last week for the first time since Parcells' hiring.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/miami-dolphins/story/630521.html

2. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    I think this is good news all around, esp Hagan and Allen. We need these guys to step up.

3. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Henne shines; Glenn decision on hold

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/miami-dolphins/story/630521.html

4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    There hasnt been much news about Ginn through camp, but this is a nice little piece here to read. Nice to hear he's improving his game out there. Hopefully were able to get the ball in his hands alot more this year.

Im still very impressed by Thomas so far. Good for him/us.

While I dont think this is a major issue... but why did it take parcells so long to call shula?

PMZQ likes this.
  5. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Wow, this is good news all around, especially Henne. The only thing that would worry me is if, with 3 QB's all playing relatively equal at this point, we may get a divided lockerroom if the player that starts is not who the "players" think is right. Not trying to stir anything up, but this happens alot in the NFL when a team has 2, or 3 QB's vying for the start. Just something to keep in mind.

6. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    On a 1-15 team, with everyone fighting to save their own jobs, I don't think any of them will actually give a crap, and they certainly won't spout off about it. They'll do anything for some victories right now. If the coaches pick a QB, then that will be fine by them. I think these comments are rooted more in their collective excitement that this team has a viable QB competition going on, including a rookie, than it is in their preference for one or the other.

Bucky Goldstein and mullingan like this.
  7. mullingan

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Yeah I agree, probably should not have even brought it up, but, there have been teams where this has happened and it has affected the entire team. Not saying it will happen here.

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I can't describe how excited to see what Ted Ginn's offseason development will lead to on the football field in actual games.

alen1 likes this.
  9. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    If all 3 quarterbacks are about equal then either McCown or Henne will start. If Tuna and Sparano think it won't ****** Henne's growth then it will be him. Beck has to do more than keep pace he has to get out far ahead or he's screwed. He's a couple years older, has a year of experience on Henne and he's a relic of the old administration. If he doesn't shine and shine soon don't be suprised if he gets traded.

I wasn't a fan of picking Beck anyway and he hasn't done anything to change my mind yet so i wouldn't be heartbroken. I personally hope that Henne really takes off and that he is ready to be our starter in a few weeks. I just have a good feeling about that kid.

10. mullingan

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    I don't think Beck must be that far ahead of either of them to be picked to start. Just my opinion, but if he is "just slightly ahead" of either one, he will win the starters job because he is ahead of them. Yeah, Beck wasn't this regimes pick, but I don't think they will simply just dismiss a capable player, especially QB just because they did not pick him.

11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    How many times has our top round picks been labeled bust, abandoned, etc. not by the media but by fans on these boards?

Let me see. Vernon Carey. Ronnie, Roth and Crowder. Jason Allen. Derek Hagan. Now a bit of Ginn and Beck.

Stop abandoning the "it takes times for rookies to develop" mantra. It holds very true.

alen1 likes this.
  12. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i can't disagree more. i'm absolutely ecstatic that henne is shining in camp, but he needs time to develop. have we not learned this yet? I want McCown or Beck to start (hopefully Beck) as we really need to see what we have in this guy. if we judge him based on 5 games last year on that crappy team and the TC this year, we are selling ourselves short on Beck.

I'm not against putting Henne in during some of the preseason games, but not to start. :up:

Colorado Dolfan and alen1 like this.
  13. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If Henne beats him out, he beats him out. It's as simple as that. I don't care if he's a rookie or not. It's a performance-based team and that's all there is to it.

14. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    It seems the Tuna has no respect for the Dolphins legacy.

15. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Exactly. I don't care who starts. As long as it's the best guy. I don't have a lot of faith in Beck BUT if he proves he's the guy then i'll be cheering for him on sunday afternoon. I personally think that Henne has more upside. I think he's the future. But if I'm wrong I don't care as long as it's because Beck is the better QB! :)