Merged: Breaking News: Big Tuna to Dolphins almost Done

134 replies

PhinishLinePhinishLineSupporter
Dec 19, 2007, 06:40 PM

"Kudda wrote:

According to ESPN its all but set in stone now. The Tuna with the Dolphins how ironic.

Its not ironic because its Dolphins-Safe Tuna.

Dolphins Football. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

#1dolphinsfan#1dolphinsfanNew Member
Dec 19, 2007, 06:46 PM

"KiNG wrote:

Damn. Why was I watching dumb ESPN News instead?

At the bottom of ESPN News, I caught the end of the statement. I think it said that the deal is agreed upon and expected to be completed within the next 48 hours.

Yea i was watching espn to

KUKuddaNew Member
Dec 19, 2007, 06:47 PM

"PhinishLine wrote:

Its not ironic because its Dolphins-Safe Tuna.

lol. :ffic:

RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
Dec 19, 2007, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the early Christmas Present Wayne!

@KevinMD4

Finatic8480Finatic8480New Member
Dec 19, 2007, 06:55 PM

ESPN reports Bill Parcells will sign a four-year contract to become the Dolphins' vice president of football operations.

Owner Wayne Huizenga reportedly no longer is interested in selling the franchise, which was a big selling point for Parcells.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Follow me at www.twitter.com/robi2184, always updating Dolfans with the latest Miami Dolphins news.

Zach Thomas: I played against New England twice a year every year my whole career. I learned to not like that team. I wasn't going to join them.

CrunchTimeCrunchTimeRetired Admin
Dec 19, 2007, 07:02 PM

He is probably still interested in selling a minority share if only for estate purposes but yes I can see where Wayne is guaranteeing a majority ownership at least through Parcells four year contact.

Parcells is not known for his durability on the job so that may just suit him fine.IMO His job woulD be to set up a structure to assure that the Dolphins would be on a path to winning before Parcells leaves.

GridIronKing34GridIronKing34Forum Veteran
Dec 19, 2007, 07:09 PM

I'm actually fairly excited to see how things turns out, but I really hope that Cameron stays. I can deal with Capers, Armstrong, and Mueller all being gone, but I really think that Cameron can be the head coach we're looking for.

Dec 19, 2007, 07:09 PM

Agreed, Crunch.

4 years would be fine - especially if he gets a good young asst. GM to come in. The main thing for the Tuna is to get this organization in the right direction and on the same page - top to bottom - footballwise.

SGsgtphinNew Member
Dec 19, 2007, 07:12 PM

"cnc66 wrote:

groan... I can't stand that cowpatsiejet smelling sog... he'll fire half the staff, piss off the rest and two years later quit

I couldn't agree more! He's the biggest mouth with the least loyalty in the NFL! He makes Saban look good!

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
- P.J. O'Rourke

SHShaBamNew Member
Dec 19, 2007, 07:14 PM

"GridIronKing34 wrote:

I'm actually fairly excited to see how things turns out, but I really hope that Cameron stays. I can deal with Capers, Armstrong, and Mueller all being gone, but I really think that Cameron can be the head coach we're looking for.

Based on what?

He's shown absolutely no ability as a head coach whatsoever.

BEbeck419New Member
Dec 19, 2007, 07:20 PM

Does Parcells have any use for Armstrong, Capers, Mueller, or even Cameron? I can't wait to see who he cans

GridIronKing34GridIronKing34Forum Veteran
Dec 19, 2007, 07:24 PM

"ShaBam wrote:

Based on what?

He's shown absolutely no ability as a head coach whatsoever.

Just my opinion. I think he pulls the team together, but again, it's just an opinion. I'm not going to try to pursuade you because it's obvious you disagree.

And no ability? Please be joking...

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Dec 19, 2007, 07:28 PM

"ShaBam wrote:

Based on what?

He's shown absolutely no ability as a head coach whatsoever.

Ok, I'll play. You say, "He's shown absolutely no ability as a head coach whatsoever."

Based on what?

[deleted][deleted]Luxury Box
Dec 19, 2007, 07:31 PM

My favorite quote:

"Really?" defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday said when told by The AP about Parcells' apparent interest in the Dolphins. "You can't control it. But somebody like the Big Tuna, regardless of who's in the front office or who's not, brings a lot of respect and a lot of credibility with him. He's a Hall of Famer. If you're a free agent out there, that might draw you in."

Parcells is not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/12/19/bc.fbn.falcons.parcells.ap/index.html

BIbig0marNew Member
Dec 19, 2007, 07:35 PM

mortensen just said that after talks began 10 days ago, they were cut off when huizenga discussed selling the team- parcells only wanted to work for huizenga.

once parcells began talking with atlanta. huizenga contacted parcells and told him he will not be selling the team- which revived the talks.

KDKdawg954Forum Veteran
Dec 19, 2007, 07:38 PM

"RoninFin4 wrote:

Thanks for the early Christmas Present Wayne!

Between this and a Dolphins win Sunday afternoon . . . nothing anybody can do to get me a better present.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Dec 19, 2007, 07:44 PM

I will say this:

We as fans are very lucky to have an owner who is determined to do what he has to do to try and improve our Franchise, money has never been an issue with Wayne H, neither has over weening pride been an issue for Wayne H, he goes all out to try and win.

From the "bubble" to remodeling Dolphins Stadium to chasing after Lil Nicky, to paying what it took to hire Cam Cameron and now Bill Parcells, Wayne H is not lacking for effort in trying to improve our team.

I think what Bill P's presence is meant to do is to remove Wayne H from the day to day decision making process as well as the long term process.

A tip o the jar to Wayne H....:ffic:

Deus ex dolphinDeus ex dolphinForum Veteran
Dec 19, 2007, 07:51 PM

I can hardly wait to read some of the articles about this, at least one of which will be titled:

"The Big Tuna -Dolphin Safe?"

A terrible play call, terribly executed.

finswin56finswin56New Member
Dec 19, 2007, 07:59 PM

"Celtkin wrote:

My favorite quote:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/12/19/bc.fbn.falcons.parcells.ap/index.html

I like that too. Let's hope he's right. I won't claim to know how all players think, but I wouldn't be too excited to go to a basement team unless there was a real credible reason for hope.

Heritage of a Linebacker

Image by Like2God. Awesome job bro!


CRCrowdaNew Member
Dec 19, 2007, 08:11 PM

Woot The Fins Are Hookin The Big Tuna!

PHphinfan3411New Member
Dec 19, 2007, 08:15 PM

I understand some fans are not going to like the fact that he never stays in one place very long, and to be honest if we had hired him as coach, I would feel the same way.
I don't think that will matter though, as long as he makes the right moves, and hires the right people, we will be in good shape when he, inevitably, will leave at some point.
Just dream for a second that he will hire a great coach, a great gm, and maybe some top flight front office people, if he retires in a few years, we will still have them in place right?
Maybe, just maybe we can actually get somebody in here so that we won't make the decision to pooch kick the ball out of bounds with 1:57 left, and clinging to our very hard earned 3 point lead. And then have to rely on a very lucky for us, missed field goal, and miraculous 3rd and 8 pass to our fourth reciever in OT to get our first and only win of the season in week 14.

SESellTheFinsNew Member
Dec 19, 2007, 08:41 PM

"Crowda wrote:

Woot The Fins Are Hookin The Big Tuna!

Hopefully a sign of good things to come.

AZazstrykerNew Member
Dec 19, 2007, 08:49 PM

Bye Bye Mueller and Cam!!! Now maybe we'll stop this Dorsey/Long insanity and draft a franchise QB!

AWAwsi DoogerNew Member
Dec 19, 2007, 08:57 PM

"azstryker wrote:

Bye Bye Mueller and Cam!!! Now maybe we'll stop this Dorsey/Long insanity and draft a franchise QB!

Don't be so sure. Parcells has always said there are only so many talented big guys on the planet. I remember when he was critiquing the '01 Canes he said he was more impressed by freshman DT Vince Wilfork than anyone on the team.

Roman529Roman529New Member
Dec 19, 2007, 09:05 PM

"azstryker wrote:

Bye Bye Mueller and Cam!!! Now maybe we'll stop this Dorsey/Long insanity and draft a franchise QB!

We will draft a franchise QB but NOT with the first overall pick.