1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MERGED: Cloverfield

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Brown42000, Dec 15, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    For anyone who hasn't seen it yet and I am looking forward to this movie.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=ufYF0f-zMgY"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ufYF0f-zMgY[/ame]

2. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    Yea when I first seen the preview to this movie I really wanted to see it now that I got a name to and a bigger trailer it looks awesome!

3. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Mindwarp?

4. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    On the youtube page some are arguing it is a parasite. Some say it is a godzilla type creature. In this trailer that looks like the head of the statue of lberty thrown into the street. I don't think a parasite would do that.

Movie looks good by the trailer at least.

5. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Also if you watch it again there is a part where two guys wearing bacterial suits are pushing some women behind a curtain and it looks like she is turning into the blob getting all fat and mis-shaped.

E: Stop it at 1:08 and you will see what I'm talking about.

6. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Godzilla is pissed!!!

If the whole movie is shot in that camcorder style/nypd blue cut scene method, im baggin it.

7. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
  8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Cloverfield

If anyone bought the DVD, is there anything on it worth watching? I feel like this movie had a ton of potential but just fell short. Being 85mins will do that to a movie.

9. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    I loved it and loved how it was filmed

10. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    I didn't care for it at all.

11. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

Diary Part Of Cloverfield DVD

T.J. Miller, who played Hud in the J.J. Abrams-produced monster movie Cloverfield, told SCI FI Wire that he filmed the cast and crew during the lighter moments of downtime for a video diary that will be included as a bonus feature on the upcoming DVD release.

"I did a very long video diary for the DVD, and it's pretty fun," Miller said in a telephone interview last week. "It's kind of behind-the-scenes stuff, and it's us while we were filming. I'm a comedian, so I did a lot of funny, fun stuff in the video diary, and they included a lot of it."

Cloverfield was filmed as if it were shot through the lens of a video camera operated by Miller's character. With no formal training as a cameraman prior to filming, Miller had to develop his technical skills while shooting about a third of the movie (the rest was shot by professional camera operators).

"I learned that you take a lot of care in your shot compositions," Miller said. "And I also learned that it's really strange to be acting while you're filming, because I would be thinking about things like headroom and zooming in and out. I also had to be present in the movie. I had to sort of be reacting to everything, and we were improvising a lot of our reactions, so it seemed real."

Improvisation was one aspect of the role Miller was prepared for. As a stand-up comedian and a former member of Second City in Chicago, Miller was able to think on his feet and inject some humor into the film.

"It definitely helped," Miller said of his comedy background. "They allowed me to sort of be the funny part of that film and provide the comic relief. That was the thing that I always feel, like, is missing from those films. You've got all these different reactions. You've got girls crying and guys going like, 'OK, we've got to figure out a way out of the city.' But you never really have somebody who, I think, is kind of like me, saying, 'Hey, guys!' You know? And just screaming a lot and basically just being very afraid of the situation and trying to awkwardly make things better." Cloverfield will be released on DVD April 22. --

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=52750

12. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

Cloverfield DVD Reveals Details

Michael Stahl-David, who starred in J.J. Abrams' monster movie Cloverfield, told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming DVD release will give viewers a chance to catch some of the details they might have missed in the theatrical version.

"The momentum of it and the excitement of it will still be there," Stahl-David said in an interview. "But I also think it's a chance to enjoy some of the nuanced stuff and go back and see more of the world and the stuff that's hidden in it."

Stahl-David said that one of the things viewers can look out for this time is a brief clue in the background of the final scene in the movie, which flashes back to a date between his character, Rob, and his love interest, Beth, played by Odette Yustman.

While the two are on the Ferris wheel at Coney Island, an object can be seen falling from the sky into the ocean. Although this object may play a part in the mythology of the monster that later terrorizes Manhattan, many audience members missed it the first time around, including Stahl-David.

"They didn't even tell me about that," he said. "I didn't see it until the second time I saw [the movie], which was at the premiere. That's when I saw it. And I thought it was a glitch. I was like, 'What was that?' And I found out it was this whole thing that they'd planned."

Stahl-David also said that viewing the film on a television screen may lessen the feelings of motion sickness that affected some moviegoers in the theater. "I think there's a lot less of that, fortunately," he said. "I don't think it's going to be a problem on the DVD. I felt bad for those people who got sick. But it's totally different on a small screen."

Paramount has already green-lighted a sequel to the film based on its performance at the box office. What the story will be and whether it will feature any of the original cast members has yet to be decided.

"All I've heard is that they have some ideas that they're excited about, but they're in the early stages of it now," Stahl-David said. "But I would be very surprised if I did hear that they wanted me to do that, because they've got to find another way to come at it, I feel like. They want it to be as exciting as it was before. I think people have seen me running around enough." Cloverfield will be released on DVD April 22. --Cindy White

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=52530

13. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I totally found this to be the case with "Blair Witch Project." Hated it on the movie screen; liked it quite a bit on home video.

14. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I bought the DVD yesterday, but have yet to check it out. I saw the film in the theatre and was blown away!!! It was, IMHO, the only way to do a big monster movie that had the potential to be even remotely frightening.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I liked the idea of how everything happened so quick and it was in NY. I disliked how short the movie was and the fact that the monster at the end looked way diff (smaller). I heard quite a few people saying that there were two monsters and they might get into that in the sequel.

16. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I liked it quite a bit, and actually think it benefited from being a shorter movie. The DVD isnt packed full of extras, and no JJ commentary so I've read a 2 disc could come out later. If you do plan on getting it I'd suggest getting it at Best Buy, it comes with a bonus disc with min of extra stuff.

17. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I saw it and thought it was great, plan on buying it.

18. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    $500.00 says this movie is referenced in Lost.

19. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Actually, it's the other way around. There's a Dharma logo on the military video placecard at the beginning.

20. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Watched the DVD last night. Still a great film, the extras are meh. Anyone notice how much that dude who came to the party with Beth looked like Chachi from Happy Days?

21. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Scott Baio?

22. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Yuppers

23. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    i thought the ending was very clever

24. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Just finished watching this on my laptop ... it's one of the few films I've seen that I would actually prefer to watch on my computer as opposed to on the big screen.

Well done movie, a little short for my tastes, but then again, it's basically like watching a home video. Pretty good flick, one of the more original "monster" movies that I've seen.

25. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Just rented and watched this movie last night. I thought it was good, not great. I guess I had built up a certain expectation over time. My wife got a little motion sickness from all the camera swaying back and forth.

26. bg34

bg34 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Virginia
    I thought this movie could have been a great movie, a blockbuster even. But that camera angle just ruined it for me.