[Merged] Dolphins owner Stephen Ross predicts a Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

Wow.

Way to take that quote totally out of context... The part you're missing is:

"Hoping" is kinda the key point. :no:

2. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I have high expectations for Henne but he doesn't have to be the best QB in Dolphin history to get us a SB win. Who in their right mind would expect that really.
    I bet long after I'm in the box with six feet of dirt on me #13 will still carry that torch.
    As far as the SB prediction why would Ross say that? We aren't getting there this season IMO but strange things happen.
    Here's to hope. :wink2:

3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Ross went to the University of Michigan. He's being both a Michigan and Dolphins homer when he says that.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    This statement tells me he will do what it takes from an owners perspective to make this team a dynasty..he's on the record now..

LandShark13 and jetssuck like this.
  5. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    But to look like you have class you let Henne show it on the field without having to trumpet it aloud. It is part-n-parcel of the NY mentality we all so detest if you are a Dol Fan.

Huizenga may not have won it all while he was here, but he was extremely respected by his peers - the other owners. His word carried weight in owners meetings. This is not the way to endear yourself to that group. Ross needs to STFU and learn his place in the pantheon of NFL owners. He is the newbie, that should be in the background and bide his time and let his team make the mark, with their play on the field.

6. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I'm liking Ross more and more each month. especially I think this statement was just a Michigan and Miami Homer statement, but he has the right and I hope he IS right:

jetssuck likes this.
  7. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Let's hope he is right and great things happen this year!!! I have no problem with Ross saying any of this, we all hope for the best for our team.

8. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Well, in the statement

it's a direct reference, imo, to Henne doing what Marino didn't, winning a Superbowl. To me that's not the nicest thing to say if you're considerate of Marino. I guess, though, that it's true and the elephant in the room, so.

I don;t know, if I'm Bill Parcells, and Ross has promised to stay out of football operations, I'd want to let him know that talking sh*t about what the team will or won;t do this year, and that henne will outplay Dan Marino DEFINITELY influences the atmosphere of the football team's lockeroom and meida around the team for, in my book, drastically impacts football operations.

Translation: if I were Parcells I'd want Ross to shut up. and if Ross continued on this way, and it impacted the team negatively, I'd take my guaranteed money and walk.

That said, I'm glad Ross has confidence in the team. He may not want to make bold declarations in front of the MEDIA about his ideas, though.

How many drinks had Ross downed before this speech?

DolfanJake likes this.
  9. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm sorry that is utter bull****. This isn't the school yard with a pecking order, as someone said earlier Ross paid billions of dollars to purchase this team. He can do and say whatever he likes. And he most certainly doesn't have to STFU and learn his place.

mommabilly likes this.
  10. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010

:amen:

11. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I disagree Barry for a variety of reason.

1) Who cares what Parcell's wants? It's Ross's team Bill has no right to tell him what to do or what not to do. Especially since Ross is writing his paycheck. I understand the money is guaranteed but still Ross is his supervisor. Also so what if he walks? His job was to bring in a staff to run the team the right way. His job is accomplished, if he leaves we are fine. I think Bill's impact on this team at this point is severely overblown.

2) This wasn't a press conference where he said this. It was at a charity even in Miami. A place where many of those people were dolphins fans. It'd be like us having a Thephins.com party and Ross showing up and saying "We're gonna win the superbowl this year". We'd all be like Wooooo hell yea and super pumped. Some media head made this national and is making a non-story a big story.

Bpk likes this.
  12. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    ****, this offseason blows!

13. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Well you can believe that if you want, but there is a definite pecking order in the NFL. Dallas 1st, Pittsburgh 2nd, and New England 3rd, and 4th any team that wins the SB that isn't Dallas, Pittsburgh or NE.

The Dolphins owner is a newbie, and just as in any situation the new guy doesn't rock the boat and be accepted.

Jerry Jones of course got a pass on this because he was the Cowboys owner.

14. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Of course he'd say that, he's trying to sell tickets guys, and there is no better way to do that than to get free advertising via press comments. Ross is one smart cookie!

15. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    How is he rocking the boat. He was speaking at an event where he donated a hefty amount of money that he thought his team would be in the Super Bowl. He wasn't holding a press conference at team head quarters saying "Hey **** all ya we are the Super Bowl champions". Also he said pretty much everyone in the organization thinks we can do the same. Do we really want our staff going "Well we are hoping to at least make the playoffs this year".

This is a great thing, because it means the team has the confidence in itself. It all begins there. When players think they can do something they're going to play harder.

We have an owner who is committed to winning and is going to shell out the cash but he doesn't want to run the team. That is the best combination you can hope for. Those who clamor for Wayne H. are you serious? What did he ever do? Not only did he absolutely cripple the Marlins, but how he ran the team lead to years of futility because he didn't know any better. Great businessman but failure as an owner.

What happens if we actually do win a Super Bowl in a few years? Will there be people saying "Omg Ross doesn't know how to hold the trophy right he's terrible" Honestly it's like you guys just always need something to ***** about. Enough with the chicken little routine already.