1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Merged] Dolphins-Skins talking swap of Anthony Armstrong for Steve Slaton

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

This impresses me a LOT when combined with his deep ability. Physical enough off the LOS to beat press... AND he can go vertical outside?

Great combo.

Also, INside/Outside playability. As CK mentioned, this is somewhat of a trend with the WRs the coaching staff likes.

I like this trade a lot, if it goes through. It costs us nothing we wouldn't have probably cut anyways.

[video=youtube;Xbzr1Mi3p68]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbzr1Mi3p68[/video]

smahtaz and MrClean like this.
  2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This would be a great move by Ireland...if Ireland hadn't already cut the guy 3 years ago.

3. Bpk

You just gave me a hard on.

xphinfanx likes this.
  4. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Your talking about Shanahan here if anyone knows how to squeeze yardage out of a running back he's the coach.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me, this allows us to upgrade a role, and let's Thigpen remain, so I'm in favor of this one

My only quibble is ideally AA would handle Returner duties as well.

6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Sometimes guys you cut turn around and develop. It's something that happens and it's silly to treat it as "SEE IRELAND SUCKS". We got Wes Welker that way.

7. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    He would help me in madden too!

8. Bpk

Watching the film, what you have to notice is how often Armstrong has to come BACK for QBs throws. That's a pretty good indicator of a true deep threat who can outrun not only defenders but many QBs arms.

If Tannehill can make the pies, this guy will bake them.

9. Bpk

Hard Knocks will show that that was the main rationale behind making this trade.

:)

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, now what is Matt Roth doing nowadays?

:lol:

11. Bpk

Thigpen will be gone by Monday.

12. Bpk

I figure that to be the concern. honestly, though, ALL deep threat guys do unless they are a top-ten draft pick.

I feel better having seen that clip of him beating press for an inside route near the endzone. He is not hopeless at beating press... it's just not a strength of his. Name me ten deep threats in this league who CAN scare safeties with their speed AND can say beating press is an actual strength in their game. Calvin Johnson. Andre Johnson... I mean, elite WRs. Armstrong is an A-/B+ receiver and would help us noticeably.

13. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    If he can stay healthy. He's 29, battled with a hammy for much of last season, and then missed most of camp with a shoulder injury. You gotta figure out if age and a fragile composure have caught up with him.

14. edromeo

edromeo New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    [video=youtube;sLkxIGV4KnI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLkxIGV4KnI&feature=related[/video]
    Grossman and Becks spaghetti + injury killed his 2011 production.
    They just couldn't get the ball there
    19.8 YPC 44 catches 871 yards

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Don't be mean to the Padre. :tantrum:

:tongue2:

16. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Did not know that.

As a result, I just picked up Helu for my fantasy team. :)

17. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    For Steve Slaton, you can't complain, but Artmstrong is just another sucky WR added to a whole team of them. I would of rather kept Gates.

18. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I'm just repeating what I heard. Obviously they apparently had some issues with it, and I'm guessing his struggles were above average or he wouldn't have been in their dog house for part of last season. I hope he works out fine, but if what I heard is true you're probably getting too carried away by calling him an A-/B+ receiver. If they thought that much of him he probably would have been an exceptional weapon to have with RGIII and his notorious accuracy on the deep ball.

19. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    You talking about hard ons and him talking about going deep.

Do you all need a room and some alone time? Not that there's anything wrong with that. :pity:

20. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Clyde Gates? You're not somehow confusing him for Antonio Gates, are you?

Armstrong had a pretty good year as a starting receiver. Gates doesn't belong on the field.

21. edromeo

edromeo New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Also, Armstrong is gonna have some familiarity with the scheme because Mike Sherman was on the same staff as Mike Shanahan (IIRC Kyle also)
    Methinks this was Mike Shanahan doing his friend Mike Sherman a solid.
    The way Jeff Fisher did him a solid to get Griffin.

Armstrong wasn't the featured WR when he was here Moss was.
    AAA was a vertical WR only, and could be good in that role alone.
    But, maybe on your team he could become a more featured/complete WR?

Its gonna be interesting.
    But at least Tannehill had somebody that's been highly productive in the NFL before.

Muck and smahtaz like this.
  22. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Washington radio is saying Hightower is going to be cut.

Slaton played for Kyle Shannahan in Houston.

23. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Actually it was 4 years ago and the Redskins put him on their practice squad.

24. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010

Slaton was also with the Texans then so its one big family.

25. Bpk

CAVEAT EMPTOR
    [​IMG]

Anthony Armstrong says shoulder injury not serious but timetable for return unclear
    Posted at 01:40 PM ET, 08/03/2012

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/anthony-armstrong-says-shoulder-injury-not-serious-but-timetable-for-return-unclear/2012/08/03/5814bed2-dd91-11e1-af1d-753c613ff6d8_blog.html

Just Sayin'

26. Bpk

http://www.sportsoverdose.com/nfl-players/anthony-armstrong

27. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

28. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I believe that Miami has to put in a claim for Borel, Gurley, and Broha. Just my feeling. As well as any cb they like.

29. Bpk

My concern with his shoulder is this.... Anthony's 'weakness' in his game is supposedly beating press coverage and getting off the LOS.

A shoulder injury is going to leave his upper body weaker (he lost a month of serious lifting, and that means loss of strength). That compromised shoulder could compound his challenge of getting off the LOS.

I still think it's a great trade, but we need to be aware he is not at 100%.

30. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If he plays out of the slot beating the press suddenly becomes much less of an issue. We can help him out by using motion as well. I'm not really worried about his upper body strength, or at least it doesn't negate it being a great move.

31. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Pretty cool that you could name the one guy this team has semi-developed over the last 10 years.

32. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    NFL XM Radio just announced TWO TRADES Miami made today - Cook to Dallas for late round pick, and Slaton to Washington for Armstrong.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Keep in mind, if we do land him, he maybe catches 30-35 balls, his YPC potential is what makes him valuable to us

34. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    In reality we didn't have a bunch of 3s 4s and 5s, we had a group of cuts waiting to happen. I think a healthy Armstrong is a contributor as a 4th wideout and deep threat on a decent team. If the trade goes through he may need to be more than that for us this year however.

35. Bpk

Agree, he is still a significant upgrade at a role of dire need. But I don;t want him in the slot. he is our outside deep threat Day One if he shows up here.

36. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Exactly. I looked at his receptions last season and he had a grand total of 7 catches in the 14 games he suited up for. I guess the Dolphins aren't happy with their number six receiver on the roster and they are interested in bringing in Armstrong to upgrade this spot. He certainly isn't a top four or even five receiver for most NFL teams. If they make this trade, it shows clearly that the receiving corp for the Dolphins is even worse than we suspect.

37. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Shame on Ireland for failing to foresee that they would be running a WCO in 2012.

xphinfanx likes this.
  38. Bpk

Not sure how many balls he'd catch.

We need his talent, so may need to feed him more...

But in Philbin/Sherman's system the ball gets spread around, so maybe not?

At any rate, the guy, if healthy and seeing significant playing time, can give us 750-800 yards and 4-5 TDs. That'd be great.

39. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Thanks for sharing that in-depth analysis.

40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, if Marlon Moore continues his dropitis ways, he will see more passes, if not then he is a situational deep threat.

Maybe a cover 2 beater