1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged: FrontOffice & Coaching-Cadre deserve an award

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Jun 6, 2009.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the FrontOffice went unheralded @ the end of the first, as well as the second draft & free agencies.
    ( and they still have their detractors)
    nature of the beast, it's an often time ungrateful job they do
    however
    this Draft, FreeAgency, gathering of acorns & the looking under rocks could surpass the first in its' impact on our fledgling franchise
    I think they hit the ball out of the park this year.
    for 2009 we've acquired:
    Taylor, Wake, Wilson & Grove (ProvenBulls)
    w/ potential in:
    George, Green, McDanial & Berger
    drafting potential starters:
    White, Davis, Smith & Turner
    and adding depth & future with:
    Clemson, Quinn, Nalbone, Hartline, Ellis & Marion
    Not much not to like in this rebuilding project.
    I'd like to give an award to this FrontOffice & Coaching Cadre.

What do you think?

2. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    The Future of our FO?

When the Dolphins organization hired Bill Parcels I was truly excited about Dolphins football for the first time in a long time. I'm sure most if not all of you were in favor of the move. Then there was all this talk of that clause that allowed him to walk once Wayne sold the team. I felt like we needed Parcells to be involved in the team in order for us to really have a shot.

Now, after a year, I've realized that although Parcels plays a major role in our team's success, I feel comfortable enough with Sparano and Ireland to the point where even when Parcel's leaves in the next year or two, I still feel like we have the pieces (in terms of FO management) to continue to progress and be successful.

Just my 2cents on our FO. How do you guys feel about the impact Parcel's will have once he leaves? I guess the only concern I would have is him taking key players or members from our coaching staff if he were to go to another organization.

Rocky Raccoon, PhinsRock and alen1 like this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Honestly, I think we'll be fine and I don't think that Parcells does as much as some may think but I could be wrong. I still think that he discusses decisions and possible changes to the team but overall, I don't think he has a final say. I think he's really there just to give advice and be another (intelligent) guy who gives his two cents to make Ireland and Sparano question the move that they are possibly looking to make, for example. Once Parcells is gone, I think that Ireland and Sparano will be fully equipped with handling all business decisions and us not taking a step back. I also think that in the case of some needed advice, Ireland can call up Parcells for advice and ask him his opinion on a certain change, granted that Parcells is not with another team.

As for the coaching staff members possibly leaving with Parcells, a guy like Paul Pasqualoni makes a lot of sense. He was a hot name this off-season and interviewed with Kansas City, eventually being one of the top choices they considered I think. However, with Pasqualoni's possible departure, I think Todd Bowles could fill in well.

Great thread topic dude. :up:

4. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Well I think one of things Parcells does give us right now is that name recognition and credibility. Without knowing how much Parcells does, I don't think Ireland is going to get the recognition he deserves because people will say that Parcells is the one responsible for it. I think Ireland is a damn fine GM and will get his due when Parcells retires.

The thing I think we will miss the most when Parcells does leave is that respect the hall of fame coach brings to the table. A call from Parcells to a free agent is going to carry a lot more weight than maybe say a call from Ireland right now. Now thats not to say Ireland won't have that respect. I think he will, its just going to take time. Other than that, I think the coaches and the front office will be just fine.

5. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I think Pasqualoni's advanced age might scare off a lot of these teams. There aren't that many teams that employ head coaches over the age of 60. The guy deserves it don't get me wrong, I just don't think he will in the NFL. College though is a big possibility. Bowles I think is gone next year or the year after. The guy is just to damn good of a coach. If Parcells leaves and goes to fix another team, thats the guy I see him hiring as a coach for that team.

6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Parcells... don't leave us :cry:

Sceeto likes this.
  7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

One thing for certain, Parcells will be gone after this season...that's his MO...there's no denying it. I do feel comfortable with the progress that Sparano and Ireland have made, but no mistake...the Tuna is gone, it's just a matter of time...

gunn34 likes this.
  8. AquaBlitz

AquaBlitz Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    You are probably right, if the Dolphins win another division title or make the playoffs I can see Parcells opting out of his contract and riding into the sunset. Now, if the Dolphins falter and finish something like 6-10 or 7-9 I can see Parcells sticking around for one more off-season and then taking a long vacation on some tropical island.

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The only issue I see with Tuna leaving, is he is the buffer that insulates the FO from the ownership. Its hard for a rookie owner to argue with Tuna.

10. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I donn't think that's for certain at all.
    I don't think you can use his past MO as argument to support it either because he's in a completely different role here. He sticks his head in when he wants and goes and plays golf when he wants. He's as involved as he wants to be. His MO in the past was that he got tired of the daily BS you have to deal with as a coach. Having to deal with the tiresome detail work.
    Parcells dosen't have to deal with that now. He's got his henchmen in place and he can direct when needed. He could be with us for a long time in a role like that.

In addition, if he's not, then so be it. We'll survive.
    Sparano and Ireland seem at this point to be at the least, capable leaders which is MUCH more than we've had running the Dolphins organization in a decade.

Agua, PhinsRock and the 23rd like this.
  11. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    There is no guarantee that Parcels will leave soon, we all need to remember he is not the head coach of the Dolphins so far as his MO goes we have nothing to compare it to. This has been the job he has wanted for a long time, he is in charge but is not under the gun.
    Who knows maybe he does leave but maybe he will be here for a long time.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    1) we were originally given a c- by the draft pundits of 2009
    if we start three of the Rookies the draft goes to an A

2) both critics & fans alike bemoaned our free agency & looking under the rocks strategy
    if we glean another three starters & an impact player (play-maker) from the process
    the effort will have exceeded expectation & complaint become celebration

I think will will easily surpass these bench marks for 2009

13. AquaBlitz

AquaBlitz Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Agreed, I know I wouldn't question any football related decisions he's made.

14. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Miami will be the Centerpiece Jewel
    in the Parcells' Dynasty of Football Crown of Glory

I think he sees a SuperBowl on the horizon & would like to go out big.
    Miami is now his home, he will play out his time here, then retire.:up:

gunn34, PhinsRock and Sceeto like this.
  15. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Bingo!

You nailed it, 1. Parcells lives here, 2. He has said this will be his last stop in the NFL (of course he's said that before, sort of), 3. he is tired of the daily duties of being the HC, dealing with the media, dealing with the primadonna's like T.O., and he doesn't have to deal with any of that here, 4. he has his legacy to cement, he wants 1 more SB ring to insure his selection to the HOF on the first ballot, and 5. he has an owner (not like he had in Dallas and NE) that leaves him totally in control of football operations. As Ross said the other day: "those three just want me to stay out of their way, and that's what I do".

Even when Parcells does leave, he won't leave entirely, he has a vested interest in this team's success and lives here. He might decide to retire for good, but he will likely be visiting and helping out on occasion even after he does.

And when Parcells leaves, I feel strongly we are in VERY capable hands with Ireland and Sparano.

Great post/thread.

Rocky Raccoon and Coral Reefer like this.
  16. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    I agree with a lot of you, it seems like he has quite the life here. Obviously south Florida is known for its weather, he has his own house here and like many of you said, he doesn't have to deal with all the responsibilities that the HC does. From what I understand, he doesn't even go to away games. Its almost like he gets all the pros and no cons. I would stay with the Dolphins forever!

17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Parcells has in Miami everything he has ever desired in a team:
    1) power & complete control
    2) surrounded by a hand-picked cadre of like mind & loyal friends
    3) is building Miami into a ParenialContender & SuperBowl on the horizon
    4) already made all the money he could spend in this lifetime & loves South Florida
    5) is reinvigorating the greatest team in FootBall history (Don Shula's Perfect Season) It's a good thing for Parcells to be associated in this way to Shula. I think they are the two finest minds the NFL has produced.
    6) DolFandom loves Parcells for what he has done for the Franchise. I know he's always come off as a tough guy & certainly is exactly that, however, @ the end of a career, it's a good thing to go out with deep affection & respect for your work by the fans.

Parcells is going no where anytime soon.
    He will continue in Miami making football history. He will eventually retire a Legend in the land of Shula.
    What more could there be.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  18. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    honestly, i don't believe that Parcells will leave after this year ... in some ways - both personally and professionally, he needs to win a SB as a FO guy for validation.

this team should compete very well this year ... and should be even better in '10, so i expect him to hang around for at least an additional year (unless we win the SB this year -- as his worth would then skyrocket ...)

19. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I like what you posted, but would add that Wake hasn't proven anything yet.
    I would move him to the potential list. He hasn't even played 1 down in the NFL.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I respectfully disagree about Wake. He is a known commodity & will not simply disappear, disappoint or get swallowed up by the NFL in 2009.

Cameron Wake is a physical freak & an absolute beast. He has an incredible track record, filled with unquestionable achievement & the highest accolades. He is a @ the top of his game & was hand-picked by the best LBing authority in the history of the NFL, Bill Parcells.

As far as proving things, that is an every year/day event in the NFL for everybody. last year is over & this year beginning.