Merged: Hagan getting rave reviews

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/miami-dolphins/story/622804.html

Crunkcore likes this.
  2. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Parcells tip helping Hagan

Consider the case of Derek Hagan, who dropped several passes his first two seasons and spent months "working to figure out what the problem was. No coach had broken it down for me.''

The executive vice president of football operations not only pinpointed the problem this summer, but fixed it, Hagan said. Apparently, Hagan's hands ''were kind of apart,'' and Parcells taught him how to position them and keep them together when making a catch. Hagan has been terrific this offseason and hasn't dropped a pass in training camp.

''It's working -- what he taught me to do is perfect, and I'm back on my game,'' Hagan said. "It's great to have him around because he's always giving me pointers.''

An unfortunate note:

• Former NFL quarterback Joe Theismann, who attended a practice this week and some last year, said one problem with John Beck is he has not anticipated where the receiver will be ``as well as he has to. I guarantee he's scarred from last year.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/1262/story/622434.html

Crunkcore likes this.
  3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I highly doubt John Beck is scarred. If anything, he just might not be that good. But he still has plenty of time to turn it around.

4. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Yeah, I wouldn't say scarred. A scar is permanent and I don't think anything that happened to Beck last year is going to be indelible in his play. I think he is a second year player that is finally receiving the coaching a young player needs to succeed and its gong to take some time for the kid to get it all together. Yeah I know time is a luxury he may not have at this point, but I really think he is going to turn the corner during camp/preseason.

5. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Man...I sure hope so.

6. Die_Nasty

Die_Nasty Well-Known Member

May 16, 2008
    West Palm Beach, FL
    This may be a little off topic.

But does any remember the home game a couple years back, where they had one of those corny videos on the big screen of Randy McMichael teaching the fans how to catch?

I just remember the very next play having him drop a ball that hit him right in the hands. :sidelol:

Maybe our receivers really do need to be retaught how to catch :pity:

7. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Ummmmm, doesn't Hagan get rave reviews EVERY camp?

I'll reserve my judgement until I see him in the pre season.

8. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I was thinking this same exact thing

9. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Hagan=The Jay Fielder of WRs

10. Firesole

Mar 24, 2008
    Who's Jay Fielder?

11. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    spelling nazi! [​IMG]

12. Firesole

Mar 24, 2008
    Nah, I just think any Dolphins fan should know how to spell the name of the last winning QB we had! LOL

I was definitely NOT a Fiedler fan, but he did lead us to an 11-5 season.

ooops, why did I open this can of worms?

13. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    x2 ... although I don't recall other players talking him up before, only media saying how he looked good in camp.

Maybe Parcells turned a light on for him?

14. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    i brought him up because JF was always a great practice QB, like Hagan is apparently great in practices.

15. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I still think Froerotte was our best QB since Marino.

16. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Exactly what I was thinking. :up:

17. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    That is exactly what is different this time around. And, he didn't really "tear it up" (like he is now) in previous camps. He just didn't stink like he did in games. I may be a glutten for punishment, but my optimism is slowly returning for this kid.

18. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    My thoughts exactly. Last year, reports claimed that he would even compete with Chambers for the top receiver spot. He "tears it up" in training camp every year. Once I see that Derrick Hagan has learned how to catch the football better than Will Allen during actual games, then I'll be impressed. I wish him the best, though, because Lord knows what a luxury it would be to have the kid breakout.......

I don't quite think he's earned the right to have his name spelled properly.

Tone_E likes this.
  19. Straz

Straz Me and my girl :)

Mar 23, 2008
    Man, this year is looking exciting to be a Dolphins fan. I really hope Hagan has a great year.

20. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Would be very nice. With the addition of Glenn though, it wouldn't be a necessity. We really need someone to step it up, and to expect Bess, Foster and co. to do so as rooks is a little demanding. You never know though.

21. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Maybe Parcells needs to teach Will Allen how to catch the ball?

Hagan is still a young receiver and now seems to have better coaching. Maybe under Parcells tutilidge he will finally become the receiver we hoped he would be.

I noted that Parcells is helping to coach the players and is not just an executive. I think that is a good sign for us as he is obviously taken this team very seriously and doesn't just view his position as a temporary stop

22. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Exactly

We've heard this before about Hagan and once the regular season starts the "guy who catches everything" disappears. I'll wait until he does it when it counts before I get all warm and fuzzy.

23. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I doubt that Beck is scarred. Anticipation comes from understanding the offense and having the game slow down enough (in the QB's head). Jaworski pointed out during Beck's draft that that Beck showed good anticipation so it's reasonable to believe that it will return once he understands the offense and the game slows down. I think what Theisman sees is that Beck too often throws off his back foot. He does that when the rush comes faster than he anticipates. IMO that's a speed of the game issue and not an emotional scar although I can understand how some could view it that way.

As for Hagan, I don't remember if he impressed in year 1 but he certainly received some praise last year. I'm taking an 'I'll believe it when I see it in the games' approach.

24. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    thought id never hear that name again. Thanks. [​IMG]

25. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    of all people too. :pity:

26. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    So can someone explain, that in the entire timeframe since we have had Hagan, what the heck our receiving coaches were paid to do??

Come on, its takes a VP of Football Operations to show this guy how to hold his hands to properly catch the ball???

alen1 likes this.
  27. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hagan rarely made any drops when he was at ASU ...he still has most of the Pac-10 records for receiving. If Hagan and Ginn can step up, along with Ricky and Ronnie running it, we will have a sick offense.

28. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    there a reason his stock dropped in his senior year..

29. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    his stock dropped after his senior year was over.

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Stupid Senior Bowl.

I loved him at ASU.

31. mullingan

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN

Well its relatively apparent that the previous staff did not coach or prepare our players very well. It was evident in the injuries we accumulated which, IMO, was due to the slack type atmosphere around camp. It was evident watching an unprepared Rookie start games. It was evident watching a top ranked defense fold late in games.

Now we have Coaches. Things are looking up in Miami!!

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    You would think this guy can figure out on his own on how to make a diamond with his hands to catch the football. This all started in the Senior Bowl and dragged on. The guy can get open, he just had trouble hanging on to the ball. Hopefully, this has been corrected as I feel he can be one of our best receivers, if not the best.

33. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    [​IMG]

D'oh!

34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yes, he dropped it. Like I said, if he gets it corrected, he can become our best receiver.

35. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yet, its our VP of Football Operations and not a COACH that is getting the praise for solving his problems.

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Our coach has something to do with it as well, I'm sure. The only reason he's probably not getting the praise by the media is because his name is Tony Sparano and not Bill Parcells. Don't forget our WR coach as well.

mullingan likes this.
  37. mullingan

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Agreed. No matter what the other coaches do, Bill Parcells, just being around, will get credit for alot of things that, he may have a hand in, are done by the coaching staff itself. This staff is a team in and of itself but Bill is the leader and will ge the credit, good or bad, for the product we place on the field.

38. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area

Well, this isnt the Media, this is Hagan and his own words about Parcells (NOT OUR POSITION COACHES) saying this:

''It's working -- what he (Parcells) taught me to do is perfect, and I'm back on my game,'' Hagan said. "It's great to have him (Parcells) around because he's (Parcells) always giving me pointers.''

Cant spin it any other way.....Listen, I am glad he is improved or found something....I dont care that its Parcells showing him. I simply ask, what the heck our Coaches are doing or not doing is all.

39. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Correct but if you read the article, it will show you that the article is all about Parcell's contributing on the field. If Hagan was asked about Sparano helping him out, I have no doubt that he could say similar things.

40. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    My main point was.....our past coaches and how not one of them could help this dude....and their lack of coaching skills it seems....not about the new crop!