1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged: Jeff Ireland Extended

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Fair enough. I wasn't certain if you were referring to LB. I thought TooGoodForDez's comment was unnecessarily dramatic, and even though he has the right to post it [as you referenced], he should also know that a comment of that nature after a 3-0 start will do nothing but invite backlash. In the same sense that you stand up for him [which is understandable if not looking at his entire body of recent Ireland posts], I think it should also be understood the difficulty level of an entire forum to try and abstain from responding to such a comment. I've seen a few of TooGood's Ireland-related posts recently and many of them are over the top considering we're winning, so I can also relate to Disgustipate's comment.

Who knows how long the 3-0 stuff is gonna last so I for one would like to bask in it while it does w/o comments like "FML" or thread titles like "WTF, Ireland was extended?" polluting it. The optimistic fans have endured an onslaught of negative posting for years, understandably so since we've been a losing team, however IMO a 3-0 start should be enough reason to to take a chill pill for the time being and let the rest of the fans fully enjoy the moment.

2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I agree people should ask why people feel a specific way but just as simply the OP can specify it all the same. Like I said, you do the same thing over and over again you build a reputation (good or bad).

You have negative opinions, I have negative opinions, hundreds of posters have negative opinions here at various times. Why are those accepted? Its not always what you say, sometimes its how you say it.

Bpk and Fin D like this.
  3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I know this isn't even close to as bad but I will say the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear that line of rationale is, "Then she shouldn't be wearing such skimpy clothes and dressing like a ****, should she?"

ToddPhin likes this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I cannot be the only one that sees you doing the same exact thing against positive opinions?

5. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Damn you are a pain in the ***. :wink2: Dead on though. :up:
    You forgot to mention Charles Clay.

ToddPhin likes this.
  6. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I could see that angle.
    What came to my mind when you mentioned this is--- "then she shouldn't get mad about hearing lots of whistling and provocative comments if she knowingly decided to walk through a construction site dressed like a prostitute". Neither action is admirable, but all of it could be prevented if the she took another route or dressed like a normal girl.

ckparrothead and Fin D like this.
  7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If it weren't for respectable, negative opinions there would be much less discussion on this board, hence the quality would diminish, so I know I speak for myself when I say I appreciate negative opinions that possess substance & merit. Personally, I'm far less concerned about the positive-negative nature of the post than the quality of it. Now obviously there's some leeway there for all of us to post some sh-tty stuff, but I just don't like seeing people abuse that privilege which a select few do here, and they coincidentally just so happen to be negative natured posters. I'd grow equally annoyed if they were positive, optimistic posters if the nature is still that of overbearing and dramatic.

Boik14, Fin D and slickj101 like this.
  8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Lets pump the breaks right there. There are plenty of people here w the irrationally negative opinions in question.

Why do I say irrational? Because they've been given that chance to find out why they think that way and the answers they come up with can't logically support their opinion.

Nobody should care if someone's opinion happens to be negative but there's a big difference between that and trolling.

Fin D likes this.
  9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Yes. Quality is the key.

A lesson people like Heath Evans could stand to learn.

Fin D and ToddPhin like this.
  10. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Edited

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The way this might shape up, we could go 10 and 6 and not make the playoffs...I don't think he'll get fired for 10 and 6.

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It's not you blitz, you all good, it took a little bit to understand your style and your POV and the way you see things, but your good peeps with a strong opinion imo

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The man has made a lot of good moves since taking over the team, including firing sparano, trying to upgrade the stadium, signing off on philbin, buying blackout games, staying out of the football decisions, and just having the franchises best interests....oh and being in the middle of the huddle up in the locker room after the game..lol

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Yo, if some folks are gonna criticize the team all offseason, then continue to do so after said team goes 3 and 0 out of the gate, then just keep trollin homies, .you've lost respect for your inabilities to properly assess how a team builds an infrastructure, and the proper timeline that should be given to a new staff..

I think what's really surprising is folks who cannot give Ireland a clean slate after Parcells ditched town.

Fin D likes this.
  15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Probably both the coaching and a lack of power early on. Basically, what many here have been saying.

Fin D likes this.
  16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Damn man, Charlie Clay and Rishard Matthews,those are two excellent 6th round picks under his watch..Chris Clemons and Reshad Jones, those are two excellent 5 th round picks...

All four very young, and part of our core, that's 2 solid players, 1 stud, and a player in Matthew that has a chance to be a good football payer..that's real good drafting right there in a 2/3 year period..

Fin D and ToddPhin like this.
  17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Lack of power...just don't know why it's so debatable when were talking about Parcells, and a first time guy HE hired...lol..

But no, you will get the proverbial, " what did his title say Deej"?

Dude seriously deserves a clean slate man when Parcells quit..

Fin D likes this.
  18. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

This board sees ten times as much activity with Irish than without.

Extension is v good for thephins.com

Another year of arguing!

unifiedtheory likes this.
  19. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    A combination of the two. His ability to evaluate talent in the draft is questionable. I feel he leaves talent on the board too consistently and has gambled on raw prospects instead. Round 3 over the last two years being a prime example of him doing both. I hated the Vernon, Egnew, and Davis picks (add in Jelani Jenkins and Dion Sims too, both early 4ths). While the jury is still out on both drafts, I just don't have confidence Ireland can identify prospects to be successful long term.

Obviously my opinion is subjective. I could be proven right or wrong in the future. We'll see. Suffice it to say, I can't say I've liked his two previous drafts from the 3 round on down.

Overreaction much? I didn't say Ireland sucks. In fact, I think he's had plenty of positive contributions and had a fantastic off-season. I simply said, I didn't care for his previous two drafts.

20. Drowning

Drowning ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH

Dec 20, 2007
    A lot smarter? Why? Because they work in the NFL? ROFL- hard- crying- abs hurt.

Why don't you dial down the ardent affection you have for a man who was probably praying as much as we were just as your asking for the hatred to dial down?

Any way, Ireland has certainly earned it. And i was on the fence. Tannehil was the only thing he had to get right. And i don't know about the rest of the fan base nor do i care. I see the right. He Marinoed a win on Sunday with many more to come.

Oh, Jordan looks right too. In how many games? Yeah, from the fence (cuz im not ashamed to bash the guy if things go sour)- Ireland has earned what he didn't deserve in the offseason; even if we'd be 0-3.

ckparrothead likes this.
  21. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Until such a time that the two posters I referenced in this thread find some way to differentiate themselves in terms of content and style I'm OK with the working assumption they are the same person, or maybe some sort of automated script even.

ToddPhin likes this.
  22. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    This is sort of where I've been, I think.

Depending on where you stand on Jeff Ireland, one seems to either blame him or exonerate him from the Bill Parcells years. I'll be honest. I don't really know what to think about the Parcells years - who made what decision... how the chain of command really worked... who should get what credit or discredit... Cam Wake, Chad Henne, Randy Starks, Clyde Gates, Karlos Dansby, Brandon Marshall? There are mixed reviews, but we won one year, and other than that, we lost and looked to be in not the best of shape when Parcells left - not as bad as when he came, but not as good as one would have hoped.

That said, this latest rash of injuries has me having to attribute some credit. In the past, even last year (remember how bad our back-ups were in the preseason?) but before that, too, if we would have lost as many front-line players as we've lost this year for a game or games at a time, we'd have a hard time even competing, much less winning. Heck, at some point, like the Cam Cameron years, we didn't even have good enough starters to compete. But throughout the Wannstedt/Spielman, Nick Saban, and Tony Sparano campaigns, when we lost key contributors, our depth wasn't good enough to help win football games. This year is different. Whether it's Nolan Carroll, Jimmy Wilson, Derrick Shelby, Rishard Mattthews, Michael Egnew, Donald Thomas, Charles Clay (once Keller went down), Dion Jordan... whoever we plug and play, those guys have gone out there and, as a team, they at least contributed enough to help this team win football games - against quality competition (who would be totally flabbergasted at this point if you saw ATL or Indy in Conference Championship games?). We win Indy without our starting CB playing against Andrew Luck. We beat ATL with that same thing, Wake out most the game, Misi and Clemons missing a lot, Vaughn Martin rotating in... just a lot of juggling. Now, a quality, elite QB makes up for a thousand ills, but Ryan Tannehill isn't that yet. He's ascending and developing at a fast pace - really looking good right now - but we're not the kind of offense that is ringing up 30+ half our games and forcing other offenses to keep up. Every player is mattering. That speaks to quality depth.

And for that depth, as I alluded, I've got to attribute credit. Obviously, some of it goes to the coaching staff, coaching players, picking the right mix for a good 53-man roster, scheming correctly, making good play calls that work to your player's advantages, all that. But some of it is player personnel... who we've drafted, who we've brought in as Free Agents, who we decided to keep around instead of jettison in trying to fit players to different coaching regimes. So, yeah, some credit has to go to the General Manager, too. Like Shula Guy, I've sort of been on the fence on Ireland thinking he's probably middle of the road and really, still kind of learning on the job (like Philbin, like Ross, like Tannehill). But if I had to say whether he's trending up or down as a GM, I'd probably have to say up, and maybe a little begrudgingly, but not that much so.

And then, 3-0 is "bask-worthy" success, but we have two tough, tough games at which we're staring down the barrel of the proverbial shotgun. While I'm really hoping for 4-1 (or wishing upon a star for 5-0), 3-2 isn't out of the realm of possibility, either, and rolling into the bye with two losses would take a lot of the steam out of my personal feel-good. Upon reflection prior to the season, of course, if you'd have offered me 3-2, I'd have happily taken it. 3-0 makes me want more, and really, I just don't want a two-game losing streak at any point this season. All beside the point, except that if our depth sort of falls through these next two games, will I find myself, like chaff in the wind, re-thinking all this credit I'm finally dishing out to Jeff Ireland? I shouldn't, but who knows. But at this point in time, kind of like a balance sheet, I'm thinking Jeff Ireland is probably a better GM than I've given him credit for in the past.

23. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Boy was this a great idea!

We gotta have the worst Owner/GM combo in the league.

ASOT and NolesNPhinsFan like this.
  24. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Hope we extend Ireland longer.

25. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Like someone said back then, El Jeffy will just get canned with the coaching staff if they continue to fail. That's the best way to look at the extension.

-Sent from my TMO Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

26. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I've been on the fence and off the fence on Ireland. He has done some good things. That said, you can't nourish a culture of losing for as long as he has and remain employed. If this team does not go 10-6 he needs to be fired.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  27. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The fact that Ross extended Ireland before this season even started, and that he waited to announce it until the team won a couple of games should say everything about how Ross feels about Ireland.

LBsFinest likes this.
  28. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I have despised Ross ever since I read that he paid for a big fund raiser for Mitt back before the last election.

ASOT and bigbry like this.
  29. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I hope you're right.

30. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He did? I like him even more now

;)

Paul 13 likes this.
  31. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Are you sure? I was insinuating that what Ross is looking for isn't necessarily what the fans are exactly looking for. The Dolphins have consistently left cap room on the table, and the cost of the product on the field is a big part of what Ross takes into consideration.

32. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Jeff Ireland isn't going to survive this. He's done.

ASOT likes this.
  33. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Agreed. I'll stick to my guns with what I said at the beginning of the season and say Ireland deserves another chance if the team can get to 9-7. I'll keep my pitchfork on the shelf for now. Fans in general and especially on this board always make the mistake of assuming current trends will continue indefinitely. Everyone was ecstatic with Ireland and the entire team after 3-0. Now after 3-3, you're seeing the typical Ireland swing. He deserved some credit for 3-0 and he deserves plenty of blame for 0-3. You all know my personal opinion of the man with pasty white legs. But I'll acknowledge things could swing back the other way and this team could still get to the 9-7 mark that I personally believed should earn Ireland another season as GM.

34. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Good post. At this point, though, things look bad.

I'm interested to see what happens to Philbin if things do fall apart.

35. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    If things continue to fall apart Ireland should be fired.

And if that happens Philbin's fate will be in the hands of the next GM.

Personally I think Philbin is a very good coach. I'm not sure how much of this mess at offensive line is on his hands. I think if he had just an average offensive line by NFL standards he would be coaching a 5-1 team right now.

36. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I figured that's what you were insinuating. I think he knew announcing that before the season started was a BAD PR move. I think Stephen Ross knows well enough to the point he's probably got his finger on the metaphorical "detonate" button. There's no way Ireland or the coaching staff survive this season if Miami misses the playoffs. Hell, even Ireland's conceded that he owes a lot of the cap work to Dawn Aponte and Matt Thomas.

37. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I agree. I think we need to bench Clabo. We need an upgrade there. Maybe Jerry. I think he had an OK game today, though.

38. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I just have a hard time seeing a GM wanting to take a job where theres an internal salary cap, and having to deal with someone who has as much power as them - if not more. As you pointed out, Aponte is likely responsible for a lot that happens. Not sure thats an attractive situation for someone to come into - especially for a team with the other issues Miami has right now.

If Ireland is fired, I think its very possible that they just promote Brian Gaine, while Aponte takes over even more control.

39. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I just got home a few minutes ago after attending the game today. This was one of the most disappointing losses I have witnessed in quite a while.

The Bills are a very mediocre team which were playing with a QB who was on their practice squad just two weeks ago. This should have been a fairly easy victory for the Dolphins. Yet, once again they found a way to lose another game at home against a team that will probably win 5-6 games this season. Good teams win games against mediocre teams like the Bills, especially at home. Bad teams find a way to lose these type of games and right now the Dolphins are a bad team.

The defense continues to be inconsistent. They play great for a few series each game, but they give up too many big plays in every game. This defense is no longer a top 10 defense in the NFL and the offense just isn't good enough to carry the defense.

The problem appears to be either the talent isn't good enough to get beyond mediocre or the coaching isn't good enough to get the best out of the talent on the roster. I think right now this Dolphin team will be lucky to win 7 games this season. In fact before today's game, I thought they would go 3-3 in their AFC East division games. Right now I can easily see them going 1-5 in the division or even 0-6. The Jets and Patriots are better than the Dolphins right now and the next game against the Bills is in Buffalo.

We keep hearing that the Dolphins have a lot of talent on their roster. If that is the case, Philbin and his staff obviously aren't getting the best out of this talent and if the Dolphins can't get to the nine wins you expect from them this season, perhaps Philbin will have to be replaced after this season.

I have already come to the conclusion that Ireland has no clue how to build a quality football team. He sucks as an NFL GM and why all the Ireland supporters can't see this is beyond me. Today the crowd at the stadium was the smallest it has been for any regular season game so far this season. I suspect that the next home game will see even less fans in attendance. I would also suspect that it is very likely there will be at least one game blacked out in South Florida this season.

If Ross stays with the status quo after this season is over. This will prove that he also doesn't have a clue as an NFL owner and he doesn't care if half the seats are empty next year. The only way
    attendance will increase is for the Dolphins to once again become a consistent playoff team. That is not going to happen as long as Ireland remains this teams GM.

The next GM should decide the future of Philbin. Even with as many mistakes as Tannehill made today, I still think he can be a very good QB with the correct coaching and better players around him. Having him as this teams QB should help Ross in hiring a new GM who actually knows how to build a SB contending team. If the next GM feels he wants to hire his own HC and this means Philbin will have to go, that's just the way the cookie crumples.

40. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    It's pathetic when you really think about it.

NolesNPhinsFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.