1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged:Miami Dolphins talking points: Decision to release Matt Roth a mistake?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Dec 29, 2009.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Mistake?

2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think we all agree it was a mistake if you base it on his talents alone. The guy could play. He did screw himself by lying about his injury though. That would be enough to piss alot of teams off. Enough to get cut? Probably not. But we know how this regime handles things of that nature.

Ronnie Bass and dolfan7171 like this.
  3. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    cutting Matt Roth was a huge mistake.
    Porter and Taylor are done and there is no one behind him.
    Roth is 27 years old and is a good player

dumb :tantrum:

Ronnie Bass and dolfan7171 like this.
  4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    While I think Roth is a good player, I don't think it was a mistake.

It was a message.

Nobody is bigger than the team, your either on board or your not.

It was a message that I'm okay with.

DOLPHAN1, xphinfanx, Themole and 12 others like this.
  5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    the way dolphin fans treat Roth you would think he was a criminal
    the guy hid an injury because he wanted to try and play
    he hasnt been to jail or beat his girlfriend or anything
    he was cut, it was a mistake and now he is playing great in cleve
    just like he did after his transition to outside linebacker last season
    the guy is a player
    stupid move front office

MrClean, SICK, miamiron and 4 others like this.
  6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not sure he would have made a difference these last few games, and he certainly wasn't staying here after this season.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  7. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    We don't know the full reason behind why he wasn't playing for all those weeks. Suffice it to say, there clearly was an issue between him and the staff, because any time either of them was questioned, no one knew what was going on. That's a clear indicator that something was amiss.

There's some locker room drama behind this, you can take that to the bank, and if there's one thing I've learned about this FO in the last two years, it's that they are not putting on a show like Dancing with the Stars.

See wheat I did there? Two for the price of one!

But seriously, the FO doesn't put up with feuds, drama, or big heads. I'm not saying Roth was definitely any of those, but it's clear something was up, and it wasn't solely to do with his practices. It probably had more to do with the overall health of the team mentally going into the playoff stretch.

cdz12250 and dolfan7171 like this.
  8. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    ill buy that and i guess i agree
    that is the only reason really
    the fact that they let a good player go over a small disagreement
    still burns my balls though :up:

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I dont think Cutting roth was a Mistake i thought it was a good move

GARDENHEAD and dolfan7171 like this.
  10. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    It was a mistake plain and simple. WE need linebackers. He is a linebacker. Whether we cut him in the offseason or not, it was a mistake. One of several personnel decisions. Oh well.

SICK, jetssuck and dolfan7171 like this.
  11. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    And why didn't try and trade him before the deadline is beyond me.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm sure they would have preferred Roth not do what he did and still be on the team, but its hardly worth gnashing teeth over. He was a rotational player, and his presence wouldn't be solving any issues the team has right now. Its questionable even if the team is in the market to find a player to fill a similar role or not- they may prefer if not Taylor a strongside OLB of his style rather than Roths

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The truth of this matter may never see the light of day.

cdz12250 and jetssuck like this.
  14. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    oh, it will likely come out after the season is over .... some of it may have been about JT and playing time. maybe he tried to rush back to keep his position, after JT was signed - who knows ..... all i know is that a healthy Roth would have been better at SOLB than JT was - regardless of what the stats show.

it's spilled milk - so it doesn't matter at this point .... but the fact that we need to upgrade both ILB and OLB doesn't make the situation any better.

i don't get the 'he wouldn't have resigned here anyway' theory though ....

15. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Depends...

If his 'injury' was, in actuality, a holdout... then, I wish they could have released him twice. I have a suspicion that was the case. It makes no sense for the Trifecta to just toss him to the side for no reason. However, I only have my suspicions... none of us know what really went on.

If he really was injured, then I think it was a big mistake letting him go. He's a good player at a position where we are thin & weak.

Themole and GARDENHEAD like this.
  16. NoCalFinFan

NoCalFinFan ALLLLRIGHT MIAMI!!!

Dec 27, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Yes, it was a mistake.

17. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I feel it was clearly a mistake.

This team still has too many holes to be cutting talented players over an ego war. Roth has always been a hard worker as well. It came down to a clash of egos here and someone decided to go off half cocked instead of taking the challenge of coming to a solution to whatever the rift was IMO.

In addition, if all of this was over the coach thinking Roth was "dogging it" with his injury while Roth was just being careful with his health this turns out to be an even bigger and ridiculously silly mistake.

The FO of a team needs to be smarter with who they want to play games with and "send a message to the team" by cutting a talented and dedicated player.

There's nothing anyone can say to me that would change my mind that the Roth cut was an ill advised move and one stemming from ego rather than level headed thought.

gunn34, Killerphins and jetssuck like this.
  18. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Interesting viewpoint which is based on?

If you're saying that because he was let go in the season that he clearly wouldn't have been kept dosen't justify anything.

Again, the better path IMO is to work through the issue and keep a young and talented role player on a team that is in need of people just like him.
    Cutting him outright just to make a point....... that's lazy personnel work IMO.

gunn34 and Killerphins like this.
  19. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    In order to evaluate whether or not it was a mistake, we would have to have all the information that the front office had at the time it made its decision. These are football executives who are there for a reason. Unfortunately, they don't publicize that kind of information. Until we have it, we're engaging in the rankest kind of speculation, which is part of the purpose of our being here having fun.

20. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Based on the fact that his contract is expiring.

21. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Roth really had one thing on Taylor, his ability to be like an additional "big" defensive linemen, and to stack and shed blockers. Taylor is still a much better pass rusher, and is probably the best coverage guy in the front-7 right now.

Given that our run defense is essentially the same this year with Taylor as it was last year with Roth, it's pretty difficult to suggest that Roth's style as play as a run defender is superior or more productive than Taylor's.

22. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Based on what I understand about the situation (which, admittedly is very little), I would have to say it was a huge mistake to cut Roth. You can't tell me he wouldn't have helped us. Especially these past two weeks when no one on defense could remember how to tackle. I also don't know how anyone can say he wouldn't have been here next season anyway. Why not? Because his contract is up? So what. He's only 27. Resign him.

Having said all that, I accept there are things I don't know. And, maybe even wouldn't understand even if I knew them. Besides, it is what it is...history. Time to move on.

23. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Our run defense didn't suffer with his absence. Statistically, we gave up 6 more yards per game in 2009 than 2008.

There are many players in the NFL that can set the edge without lying about injury to get more $$$!

24. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    or he tried to hold out for a contract and didn't do it very well.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  25. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Fill in the blanks (and adjust the language or emphaisis) and this is spot on about so many on our Roster that get ripped with limited overall facts to support the ripping.

I just enjoy how each of us, defend some players, rip others (not simply "name call"), or try to be equal in our CRITIQUE of all.

Spot on...:hi5: (KillerPhins...not ripping you at all or your view of FO handling of Roth...using your post to make a point on we as FANS and any player even on Roster, etc)

26. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    statistically we have given up five more rushing tds already this season than we did in 2008

doesnt anyone understand depth
    matt roth would be playing while taylor rested to do what he does best
    rush the passer
    we gave up a young quality linebacker for some god only knows ridiculous reason and now taylor is dragging his butt here late in the season
    he could have been fresh
    we need linebackers in the most desperate way
    i just dot get it

gunn34 likes this.
  27. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    then why was he in camp working out with the team even though he couldnt practice
    holdouts usually stay at home right

28. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    non holdouts usually tell the same story that their agent is telling.

29. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    so roth stayed with the team in camp was put on the PHYSICALLY UNABLE TO PERFORM list by the team and you believe he was holding out for more $$$ :lol:
    that is just ridiculous
    the man was injured
    worked through his injury
    came back
    the front office had an issue with roth coming to camp and telling them he had the flu when he had a groin injury
    they cut him
    big mistake

30. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Ah yes, because our pass rushing has really been hurting too.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  31. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    whats ridiculous is you ignoring the contradiction in stories. you would rather believe he and his agent just didn't know what was really wrong with him and accidentally said the wrong thing.
    roth didnt do anything initially in camp.
    he was put on the list because they didnt a roster slot to replace him after it became apparent he wouldn't be ready for opening game day.
    but you're right, your story makes much more sense lol

32. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Some people just blindly defend their favorite players. I've been guilty of it with Ronnie Brown. I don't care how many times he gets injured, I'm never gonna label him "injury-prone" (not to hijack the thread and start that debate, I'm just using that as an example).

33. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The game where Roth saw significant time, against the Jets, we got run all over. So I'm not necessarily sure he was bringing anything to the table that we didn't have.

34. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    not to worry. they did the right thing w/Roth
    & Friend GardenHead is right: love is blind
    quickest way to get me to say something stupid is to attack Ricky Williams
    it is what it is :yes:we are fans

gunn34, GARDENHEAD and dolphindebby like this.
  35. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    We may never know the whole story. I'm not so sure it was a mistake for him to be taken off the roster, I think the mistake comes in that we didn't get anything in return for him as he clearly had value. The timing with the trade deadline and when he came back from the Non Football Injury list made it impossible to trade him at that point. It only goes to show that the trade deadline should be moved to later in the season.

What else could the Dolphins have done? Shelve him on injured reserve, knowing he's a restricted free agent that you could tender and then trade would have been my inclination.

36. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    we will never know the whole story

gunn34 likes this.
  37. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Good point. Even if we can't legitimately question the decision to let him go, because we don't have all the information that the FO had at the time he was released, one would think there had to be a way to stash him on some sort of inactive status or other until he could be traded during the offseason. Even a late round pick or a question mark player would have been better than what we got, which is nothing. Why the hurry to release him outright, as if he had the plague or something?

Paul 13 likes this.
  38. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    basing the stats he has put up in cleveland since his release i think it looks like a real mistake

39. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Judging his contribution as a Dolphin based on the stats he has compiled in CLE is a mistake also!

40. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    not according to the only one's that count: the Frontoffice
    we are thick @ OLB, look for a deal to move Porter next