1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged: Mike Pouncey Out 3 Months with Hip Surgery

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    How many guys get second contracts from the Dolphins?

Did he miss any snaps in mini camp?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Now THIS is optimism, folks. Love it!

3. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Not a team player based on what, exactly?

All I heard from the young guys all during OTAs was how Pouncey was the guy helping them the most of anyone else on the line.

4. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    What does that have to do with whether we would have already offered Pouncey a 2nd contract at this point... when no one else in his draft class are gettin deals yet either? Teams aren't extending these guys b/c they don't have to yet. Instead... they all just picked up their team options... which is the wise thing to do at this point?

He actually was held out at times during OTAs. I know hearing that he was back for the scrimmage was noted b/c he was held out the day before for instance.

5. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    so... if he's on the 53, but hurt, and is suspended those first say four weeks, does that count since he was going to miss those games anyway due to injury?

6. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Sure does. They dont wait to start the suspension until he's healthy. If he does get suspended, those weeks can coincide with him being injured.

7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    this certainly does smell of him wanting a contract, not getting it, got this questionable injury that could get worse if he plays on it, he's sitting it out for a while.

8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    well, I would imagine it depends on if he's on the 53 man roster vs the PUP (or any other type of list).

9. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Play through injuries.

10. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Someone else can verify... but I think the suspension gets applied even if he's on the PUP.

11. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Lol at that...

Are you reading the stances you're taking man? lol.

If we wanted him long term, we would have already re-signed him even though noone in his class is getting re-signed yet. And that he's not a team player for not playing thru a serious tear in his hip labrum.

Ok...

CWBIII and jdang307 like this.
  12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    In case anyone's curious

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgU_dOeQLQM[/youtube]

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And many times that is the guy who just pans out in the league, UDFA w/a solid resume that scouts do not like do to some perceived flaw in his game that magically vanishes with playing time.

This is one of the reasons why I'm not a fan of OLmen in rd #1 as really it just boils down to playing time, that a high pick typically is granted over the UDFA, it is a quirk in how the NFL works

14. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    It has to do with what the Dolphins plan on doing with Pouncey? If he doesn't believe Miami will pay him, the less he plays the better.

So the injury from OTAs wasn't serious enough to hold him out of a scrimmage? If it was a serious injury, I would think their action would have been swifter, no?

15. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    He probably hurt it, so they sat him. Then he tried to give it a go and after further evaluations after the scrimmage they determined he needed surgery.

ElNino likes this.
  16. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    If you "try to give it a go" in a mini camp scrimmage, your injury isn't that serious. In this case, what has happened on the field supports the reports that this was a lingering injury.

17. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    So... the reports of a serious labrum tear are false based on that, huh? lol

You've clearly made up your mind on your stance on this, regardless of facts like that no one else in his class getting extensions yet, that hes not a team player for not playing thru the injury even though he's proven to play thru pain for the team, or the reports of what the actual injury is that he's getting surgery for. So carry on and have a nice night Sting. No point in us going back and forth...

18. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    As FinNasty already pointed out, that's not true.

19. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    It's an injury that happened during camp OTA's. I don't think the decision to have the surgery is contract related. Jake Long tried to play through a torn Labrum in his shoulder in 2010 and had a pretty good season. In Pouncey's case, doctors probably said it's ill advised.

20. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    And that also hurt Jake Long down the road...

21. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

*OPTIMISM ALERT* Skip ahead LBs.

Sure woulda been nice to have the pro bowl Pouncey's stability and experience in the trenches with the rooks, but oh well. All teams have injuries...the respectable ones excel regardless. This is certainly another ingredient in the tough situation this new OL coach has to fix. Can he do it?

If he and Lazor get a little more creative than recent Dolphin offenses, it won't be too hard to make it work...have faith DolPhans!

ElNino, HULKFish and DPlus47 like this.
  22. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

ffsts.

23. MrClean

You know what happens when you assume. I think I'll just take the report at face value until such time as some definite info to the contrary comes out, if it ever does.

24. MrClean

Or, he may not need to start the season on PUP, misses a game or two, and comes back good as new about Week 3.

CWBIII and djphinfan like this.
  25. MrClean

Inexperienced as a pro, but so are all rookies. In college, without looking it up, I cannot think of any rookie center this year who played more college snaps at center than Larsen did during his career.

Lee2000 likes this.
  26. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Look at his brother. Missed all of last year and gets the richest contract a center has ever received. I'm not saying Pouncey is sandbagging his injury, but it's a possibility. I think it's more likely that he doesn't want to play injured and put out "bad tape" when his contract situation is coming up.

Who said anything about suspension? You know something we don't? I don't think anyone from the bullying crap is getting suspended. Least of all Pouncey, who had a minor role.

27. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Well... couldn'ta happened to a nicer guy.

28. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Have you taken a deeper look into the severity of the injury and rehab yet Clean?

29. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    This sucks for fans but if the world has karma he sure had this coming

Bpk likes this.
  30. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    /Facepalm

31. RalphX19X

RalphX19X >:)

Nov 23, 2007
    Miami
    Maybe Shelley Smith at center and turner and thomas at the guard spots?

32. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I already thought the Dolphins would finish the season 7-9 or 8-8 with their best offensive lineman in the games. Now with Pouncey possibly out for up to six weeks during the regular season and the Dolphins having to go with five new starters on the OL line beginning the season, 6-10 is about the best I see this team finishing in 2014.

With the loss of Pouncey, I don't see this OL being much better than the 2013 OL.

33. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Ffsts = federal fire service training school ????

I'm not going to miss Pouncey one bit. He's not a difference maker to winning the SB or not IMO. I think the people who say he had a minor role in the bullying scandal are downplaying his role. He's nothing but trouble. Trouble this team could do without.

dirtywhiteboy likes this.
  34. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    This was discussed ad infinitum a few weeks ago in the Marshall thread and several arguments were put forward to counter this. The move to Chicago was a huge factor in Marshall changing his attitude - he himself indicated he might not have changed had he stayed in Miami. Whether it was the change of scenery in general or the staff or whatever - keeping him would not have meant he'd have been the same player he is in Chicago.

Marshall / Pouncey is not a legitimate analogy.

Pouncey is a very good player and will be missed. But, the reality is, he'd have like missed a few games because of his defiance toward the NFL and his mentality has consistently been defiant of any culpability - which is troubling moving forward in terms of more problems.

I'm fine with his being the starting center, though - even though I find him rather detestable in his mentality - because he is talented. But, if we can find a good replacement and continue to build the OL, then all the better.

However, if he comes in off the PUP in week 7 (the most likely scenario) and can be at full speed and improve the OL - all the better. And, if he keeps his nose clean, plays great, then it's not an issue. We have him signed through 2015 since we exercised the 5th year option. So, the team still has two years to evaluate the player and decide whether to keep him long term or look elsewhere next year.

35. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    3 months? Consider A-Rod was roided out had the same surgery and was out 5 months AND when he came back it was still noticeable .....

3 is being a little conservative IMO....

36. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Agree with the possibility in the first comment. But, Goodell was pretty straightforward that players involved would not play until they underwent counseling and Pouncey has categorically refused. I don't know what Jerry has done different (I suspect he has not been defiant like Pouncey). Incognito is probably not going to have a job this year so that won't matter. But, nothing has been heard because it's not the regular season. Goodell could easily make a decision about this come August - so no one knows.

Pauly likes this.
  37. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    Yeah this sucks but given his track record.... Of course we can't predict injuries but like others have alluded to the timing of the surgery raises eyebrows. Look, I like the possibility of B.Turner developing into a quality G/T but C/G Marcus Martin(not hindsight) would have been my 3rd selection for his talent and to hedge our center bet.

38. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think Percy Harvin had the same thing happen to him during OTAs last year and he didn't end up coming back until Week 11, and even then they just stuck their toe in the water with 20 snaps, then he didn't play again until the divisional playoff round and then the Super Bowl.

This is a pretty big blow.

Bpk and jdang307 like this.
  39. Bofin

Bofin Member

Apr 22, 2008
    I think this is critical and being overlooked so far,,, we need more beta on what his injury is. I have looked into the torn labrum repair. If he has a straight forward repair (dr. Philipon in vail) with no cartilage damage i think he can be back near the start of the season, its absolutely possible. If he has cartilage damage,,, needs microfracture,,,, he is lost for significantly longer and will be non weight bearing for 2 months. Thats a long time for a pro athlete and will take longer to rehab. So far we really don't know the extent of the damage and until known its lots of speculation, details should trickle out.

djphinfan and cuchulainn like this.
  40. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    There is a report that it was a serious tear, and there are other reports that it wasn't serious. We have conflicting reports, and what has happened on the field is a lot closer to confirming it isn't serious than it is serious.