1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged: Mike Pouncey Out 3 Months with Hip Surgery

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jun 23, 2014.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm fine with him getting the surgery. I never had a problem with it. I think the Dolphins might have preferred it a different way though.

2. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Oh I'm sure you are. I was more or less pointing at the Dolphins' position. They can be mad all they want, he needs to do what's best for him. If they have visions of a long term contract than they need to get over it.

So, about that Oline. 5 new starters at every position? 2-3 that have never played an NFL snap? I'm getting deja vu of last year and this might be even worse. :(

3. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Let's hope he puts his extra free time to good use.

4. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Mike Pouncey left to his own devices for four months? What could go wrong?

bigbry, Brasfin, Lee2000 and 3 others like this.
  5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Why do you always have to be a voice of reason?.....Sure what could go wrong....you got an afternoon with nothing to do? :oldtoker:

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Ouch. Just can't catch a break along that OL

7. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I just find the timing of the surgery to be very odd, why couldn't he do this weeks ago, it's been a month since it was reported that he had a hip injury.. If he opted for surgery earlier he could have missed 4 games, instead he's going to miss 8.. great...

I know Philbin likes Pouncey though, he has so many times defended Pouncey, but this is just strange...

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He had the surgery about month ago I believe, this is just new news about how long he'll be out..

Maybe he aggravated the surgery when he was taking his shirt off in a club, maybe he slipped On the piss in the bathroom in the club, maybe someone bumped his hip in the club, maybe he was jumping to high in the club when he heard " turned down for what"

Dude is not in great shape so there's that too.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Sh&$ your right Vert, he had the surgery yesterday...

I'm confused.

10. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I'm no doctor (where is KB when you need him) but sometimes they need to let the swelling in the area go down before they can operate.

11. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Pain killers and alcohol can fix anything.

12. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I'm not going to miss him.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The original injury happened months ago...sometime during the off season training schedule. It was reported one month ago but at the time it was reported that the injury had already happened and was being managed for months. I have a tough time imagining that one month ago it was too inflamed to operate.

It would seem to me that delaying the surgery a month delays his recovery a month, and causes him to miss a month more of the season. Perhaps they figured it doesn't matter since he was likely going to start the season on the PUP anyway.

Or perhaps he intentionally dragged his feet for a month because he's trying to induce them to put him on IR.

14. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Ryan turns on ESPN and sees that his only returning linemen (who also had talent) is going to be out for a considerable amount of time, picks up the phone and makes a call to a 234 area code.

"Hey LeBron, got any more room on that flight out of Miami?"

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Given Pouncey's history of erratic behavior and lack of self-control, dragging his feet on the surgery longer than the team wanted him to wouldn't surprise me at all.

This is especially believable if he was unhappy with his contract and became convinced he needs to be playing football elsewhere, longer term.

It also wouldn't shock me to discover that now that Maurkice has stability and a longer term commitment from the Steelers, he and Mike might be aiming to be reunited in Pittsburgh. Remember those quotes from Maurkice Pouncey complaining about how his brother feels like he can't be himself in Miami? Those quotes may have been more significant than people think.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    By the way is there any confirmation that he only just got surgery yesterday?

17. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    It would not surprise me in the least if Pouncey ends up missing the entire 2014 season. The fact is that even if he does return later in the season, it is unlikely he would be in top physical shape and his play probably wouldn't be as effective as it has been in recent years.

I just get the impression that Pouncey is just waiting until his contract ends and he will be heading out of South Florida to another team. I think the only way he stays is if the Dolphins vastly overpay him or they franchise him when he becomes a free agent. If they are smart, the Dolphins will see what trade value Pouncey has once he is deemed healthy again. It is better to get something for him while they can, instead of losing him for nothing once his contract runs out.

Da 'Fins and ckparrothead like this.
  18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Where are people seeing that Pouncey only just had the surgery?

Adam Schefter's initial tweets about this on June 23rd said very specifically that he underwent surgery that day.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Regardless of when he got the surgery I get the same feeling and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he and Maurkice are hoping for a reunion in Pittsburgh. Maurkice seemed to flat out allude to Mike not being happy in Miami, talking about how he feels like he can't be "himself" down there.

jw3102 likes this.
  20. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I too think that he would love to play with his brother and it would not surprise me in the least if he signs with the Steelers once he becomes a free agent.

I expect a lot of chances in the roster over the next two seasons, because I expect Philbin and Hickey to both be gone before the 2016 season starts. Pouncey being traded before he becomes a free agent is merely one of the many changes on the roster I would not be shocked at in the least. If he doesn't want to be in Miami, they should grant his wish and trade him ASAP once he is healthy.

Pandarilla likes this.
  21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I would handicap Joe Philbin to be gone by 2015.

I still can't get a bead on whether Hickey will be tossed as well. I believe it could depend on the performance of his free agents and draft picks, and even then he would only be tossed in the event that Ross went with a "big name" head coach that insisted on bringing in his own guy. And I do believe Ross would attempt, in that situation, to convince the new big name head coach to keep Hickey on for a year and see if they can work together.

Even Nick Saban kept Rick Spielman on for a year.

Pandarilla likes this.
  22. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I stated that I expected major changes by 2016. So while I expect Philbin to be gone after this season, it would not surprise me in the least if Hickey is retained after this season, because that is just the way Ross runs things.

That is also why I give the Dolphins almost zero chance of hiring Harbaugh. Until Ross is willing to give a top tier head coaching candidate the total control he wants to hire his own GM, I just don't see things changing much for the Dolphin organization.

The fact is that if Ross makes the next HC keep Hickey as the GM. I suspect we will get another HC who will much like Philbin and Sparano. A head coach which has no previous head coaching experience in the NFL and is willing to take the job because it will probably be his only opportunity available to become a head coach in the NFL.

I have nothing against Hickey. I just don't think the next HC should be forced to work with him as the GM, if he instead wants to bring in his own man to run the personnel department. That is what the top tier candidates will want and I want a top tier candidate for the job, once Philbin is shown the door.

23. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    NFL needs to revisit the salary on players in IR in the next CBA...

PhinFan1968 likes this.