1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged: Players Try To Oust Upshaw

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phunwin, Apr 8, 2008.

1. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

Link

Got to love union politics. Read the article yourself, but a group of players, apparently led by Matt Stover, are apparently trying to have Gene Upshaw replaced. No reason is given, but one can surmise that it's some combination of disenchantment with the following:

a. Upshaw's "cooperate, not confront" approach to negotiation
    b. the uproar over pension benefits for veterans
    c. the uproar over medical benefits for veterans

A. is ridiculous. Upshaw's presided over an unrivaled period of prosperity for NFL players. B. is also ridiculous, given that most of the veterans in dire straits these days are there because they opted to cash out their pensions long ago. They made a poor financial choice, and rather than live with the consequences, they scream about wanting a new deal. C. is legitimate, but Upshaw has been working with the NFL toward lifetime medical coverage for players. For instance, joint replacements are now covered; a major step in the right direction.

Anyway, the reason all this is important is because if Upshaw gets cashiered, the chances of a lockout/strike in the next few years dramatically increase, in my opinion. The CBA indicates that the owners may opt out in 2010. That would make 2010 an uncapped year, and force the sides to have a new CBA in place by 2011, else there would be a lockout (i.e. no football).

The prospects of some fire and brimstone type (think Mike Ditka) taking over the union would be disastrous for the prospects of getting a deal done. In effect, the union would be trading the calm, effective stewardship of Upshaw for a more confrontational, and probably much less effective approach.

Anyway, this situation bears watching.

DOLPHAN1, Finrunner, The Rev and 3 others like this.
  2. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    ESPN.com reports that a campaign is underway to oust NFLPA chief Gene Upshaw.

This is a story that will reverberate throughout the NFL. Upshaw has been seen to win the last round of labor talks, but has been criticized as being too close to the commissioner's office. Matt Stover of the Ravens emailed a plan to fellow player reps to oust Upshaw by 2009. "Matt Stover has no clue. Whoever is pulling his chain is doing a disservice to the union," Upshaw said. Troy Vincent would be a possible replacement.
    Source: ESPN.com
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx

3. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I don't understand why players think they should get lifelong medical coverage. I have to pay for my coverage at work. It was a career choice to play professional sports, if you know you are at a higher risk for injury, take out a policy and pay for it like everyone else.

4. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Those may be the reasons given somewhere along the line, but I suspect Troy Vincent is pushing this. I remember reading not long ago that he's anxious for Upshaw to retire; presumably so he can take the reigns. And that's probably the real reason....my opinion, anyway.

5. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Although there are 2 sides to it, I can understand their thinking. There is an awful lot of money generated by the NFL. The players have had to fight to get a fair share. Meanwhile they're under pressure to play hurt regardless of the long term consequences.

6. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    My question:

Which one of the the 31 other player reps forwarded a copy to Chris Mortensen?

7. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

Didn't PFT say some weeks ago that Upshaw's position had term limits? I think that is what is happening here, Upshaw claimed that he wouldn't step down when his limit came up, at least until a suitable successor was identified. And then he prevented anyone from being put in the #2 slot? At least that's what my memory is telling me, I can't find it on the net at this time.

Found it:
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/31/upshaw-digging-in/

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  8. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ

Brian Dawkins is my guess.....

9. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I understand the need for veteran players to have medical coverage, but for current players who earn millions it seems to me they ought to be responsible enough with their millions to buy themselves insurance policies for medical coverage long after their careers are over. Some of the old vets who really didn't earn all that much I think the NFL has a responsibility to take care of them since the NFL earned billion$ on their backs but these kids who earn million$ now I think ought to buy their own medical coverage for beyond their careers, they can sure afford it. JMHO.

10. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I don't know much, but I know I don't like Upshaw. Wouldn't bat an eye if he was fired. Dude makes 6M a year too!

I don't mind paying a guy some good money to keep him, but is he worth more than most players?

11. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Hope they get rid of him.

12. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Upshaw has been great to the current generation of players, but if you look at guys who played during the time of Mike Ditka, many of them have a lousy pension and some of them have no health benefits. These older guys paved the way and made the NFL what it was.

13. phunwin

I assume it was Matt Stover, since he seems to be the one at the forefront of this.

14. phunwin

Yes, they did. But Upshaw wasn't NFLPA head then. He didn't get the job until 1983. And as cold-hearted as it may seem, Upshaw is right when he notes that his constitutents are the current players, not retirees. Whatever benefits the retirees receive over and above what they already got are going to come from the current players.