1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged: Tucker backs Walsh: Patriots practiced with IR players

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by 124, May 23, 2008.

1. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Tucker agrees with Walsh: Patriots practiced with IR players
    ESPN.com news services

Ross Tucker, a former offensive lineman who played for five teams in a seven-year NFL career, reiterated Thursday that he believes that New England used players on the injured reserve list in practices, which violates league rules.

Former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh, in a meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last week, said that a Patriots player on injured reserve practiced when he wasn't allowed to in 2001. The NFL said it would investigate the claim.

Tucker continued to contend the Patriots used injured players illegally during an interview on ESPN's "NFL Live." He first wrote about it last week on SI.com.

Tucker told "NFL Live" that Patriots coach Bill Belichick will do anything he can "to get an advantage." He also added that using a player on injured reserve in practice was of "minimal" benefit.

Last Friday, in an article published on SI.com, Tucker wrote that: "I had heard the Patriots did this before I signed with them in 2005 and I saw it firsthand during my time there. I asked veteran receiver Troy Brown about it one time and he responded, 'Every team in the league does that.' I quickly let him know none of the three teams I played for previously had done so.

"Basically, the Patriots would put a player on IR, knowing it meant he couldn't play in a game or practice with the team for the remainder of the season. By skirting the rules and practicing him anyway, it allowed them to develop his skills during the year. A side benefit is that they were also able to give some of the older players less repetitions and, therefore, additional rest."

Goodell said the NFL would investigate the IR allegations, The Patriot Ledger of Quincy, Mass., reported.

Tucker played with Washington, Dallas, Buffalo, New England and Cleveland during his career. He currently writes for SI.com and hosts a show on Sirius satellite radio.

2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Not at all surprised. Belichick's been playing games with the injury reports since he got onto the Patsies.

124 likes this.
  3. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Tucker agrees with Walsh: Patriots practiced with IR players

link
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3408450

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  4. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Indeed. How much of a joke is it that Tom Brady is on the weekly injury report with a freakin' shoulder injury - Probable and sometimes Questionable. He's been on there every week since 2002 and his shoulder is fine. No reason to have him wasting space up on the Injury Report.

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    shocking... real shocking... :pity:

I doubt this comes as a surprise to anyone on this board...

alen1 likes this.