1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged: Vontae Davis wants to phone home on 'Hard Knocks'

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by xphinfanx, Aug 29, 2012.

1. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ntae-davis-wants-to-phone-home-on-hard-knocks

As CK said I felt bad for him also.

This really fits what Thomas has brought to the team so far to me he needs to realize he is a professional RB and bring it to the table.

Bpk likes this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Completely fabricated:
    He doesn't know that at all. Ridiculous to even say it.

MrClean likes this.
  3. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I wonder if Ireland got scared when VD started reaching into his pocket? I mean that's when he said, "you okay?"

4. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Vonte did look like a deer in the headlights.

Bpk and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    He was praying it wasn't a hammer.

IMO There is no professional justification for the way Vontae responded. It just shows a lack of understanding the correct responses in simple situations. Vontae is a WEIRD guy the more you really see of him. Nothing wrong with that, it's just his response didn't scream classy.

Sure he got traded. He still makes more in a year than some/most do in a lifetime. Why do you need to call your grandma STILL IN THE ROOM.

6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think it was a lack of class on Vontae's part.

Just a lack of awareness.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No he didn't. His expression didn't change the entire time. He knew what was coming, he heard the rumors.

8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Which makes it appear like a lack of class.

I don't think Vontae is a bad guy at all, but I just wonder where his head is while he's talking. The whole "acting" not tired conversation was really weird in a way. As was this. We all have our quirks but most of us seem more "in it"

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I call BS on that. He was clearly rocked by what he was hearing and I'm pretty sure 95 out of 100 people would agree.

305, Steve-Mo, Anonymous and 9 others like this.
  10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    On the subject of Daniel Thomas' immaturity, I don't consider it anything we haven't already heard. We've been seeing signs of immaturity the whole time, just some people have chosen to take a blind eye to them. The way his hamstring kept getting hurt and kept flaring back up on him over a period of like 9 months or something ridiculous, pointed to a potential lack of conditioning and work ethic, and in fact there were reports of grumbling from veterans that straight up accused him of slacking in his rehab work and not taking care of his body. He later confirmed that was the case directly in interview.

I didn't like how during interviews he seemed eager to jump at every chance he could, whether the question was asked or not, to blame his poor production in 2011 on his injuries. They could ask the guy about rainfall in Alaska and the guy would be like "Well it's good to finally be healthy, cuz last year I wasn't healthy and so that's why I sucked". I'm speaking figuratively, of course, but that was the message he tried to adopt which to me was an immature message because he did not deal with anything that NFL veterans aren't used to dealing with every year. I think I tallied up something like 200 different players that appeared on their respective teams' injury reports with "hamstring" issues which cause them to miss or be limited in practice. I thought his attitude on that was immature.

The tailback instincts thing though, that was readily apparent in 2009 but had improved by 2010. However, he's always been too light on his feet to really consider him the power/short yardage back that people think of him. With his style, he's either Arian Foster or he's nothing.

Bpk likes this.
  11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Disagree. I think a lot of people are projecting.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It's called empathy.

13. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I don't think it's right for him to be made fun of for this.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its only empathy if VD was distraught, and I don't think it was apparent he was. You've made the claim he was broadsided and i don't know if that's true either or where that came from considering we all knew the rumors for days before.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Actually the "rumors" were largely dismissed by most fans and Miami media, and Armando Salguero even claimed that his source's text message to him (which labeled the Vontae to the Colts stuff as "just rumors") straight up debunked the whole thing. By the time the trade happened, not even the people whose tongues were wagging because of one local Indianapolis radio host's speculation, believed that Vontae was actually going to be traded.

And you're assuming Vontae Davis even pays attention to that stuff, which I heavily doubt. I think he (and many other players) intentionally tune out stuff like that and tend to disregard it even when they hear whispers of it, because 9 times out of 10 it ends up complete BS and so you end up losing sleep over nothing.

Yes, he looked like he was absolutely broadsided by the news that he'd been traded. And he also looked pretty shook up by it, too.

Steve-Mo, Anonymous, Mainge and 7 others like this.
  16. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    when V davis walked out of ireland's office it almost looked like Vontae was relieved alittle.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ok, let's try another route, what was it specifically about his facial expressions or body language that showed he was broadsided?

18. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    GM's and couches need to be psychiatrist, scouting talent is one thing but some of these kids heads are just not in the right place. I have a new respect for them it's not easy.

shouright likes this.
  19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    It looked like he didn't know what to think. If I had to guess, I would say he wanted to call his grandmother to find out what exactly this meant, whether good or bad.

Bpk, shouright and Paul 13 like this.
  20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    His lack of affect, his inability to process what was going on, his first instinct to call the most important person in his life for comfort.

muscle979, Anonymous, Mainge and 8 others like this.
  21. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    I missed this did Moore set him up?

22. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    right, that goes back to something Philbin said recently. Essentially, he can talk to a player for 20 minutes or so and in that interview he knows whether he's a fit or not.

Bpk and xphinfanx like this.
  23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If they're referring to Tannehill's embarrassing lack of knowledge of basics of the NFL that even 9 year olds can recite, then I don't think we can claim anyone "set up" Tannehill for that. That was just straight up "Here is Ryan Tannehill. He doesn't even know that there are only two conferences, and has no clue which teams are in what division. You're lucky if he travels to play the Baltimore Ravens and he realized beforehand that Baltimore had a football team."

djphinfan and xphinfanx like this.
  24. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    hah... thats one way to look at what Moore did. He did look at the camera after Tannehill said he thought the Chiefs were in the NFC East with a grin on his face.

xphinfanx likes this.
  25. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think it was more nervous/embarrassment on Vontae's part. You've just been traded, it's shocking, embarrassing, etc., AND you know it's been broadcast on TV for the world to see. Oof. So I can definitely see the security blanket comment by wanting to call his Grandma. He also probably didn't think Ireland was going to lecture him for 5 minutes afterward.

dolfan32323, PhiNomina and xphinfanx like this.
  26. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    IMO a lot of the effort needs to be made alongside the combine, where physical measurables are king but psychological ones appear to be taking a distant back seat.

xphinfanx likes this.
  27. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I bet RT knows now.

xphinfanx likes this.
  28. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    [​IMG]

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    LOL. It's funny. I can't even believe we're having this conversation. I wanted to just write one word in response to the question: "empathy"

Eop05 likes this.
  30. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I think realizing that cameras are taping his meeting with Ireland was the last thing that would cross VD's brain. Also, you say "lecture" I say "advice." I honestly think Ireland wants Davis to do well with Indy and holds no ill will towards him at all.

MrClean and Bpk like this.
  31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think that's the key people are missing. People see his wanting to call his grandmother as this totally ridiculous, weird, inappropriate reaction. It is, if he's aware that the conversation remains ongoing. But I don't think he was. And I don't think he was able to accurately make the determination that Jeff Ireland wanted to continue lecturing him for the next 5 minutes even after he'd already told him he's traded, specifically because the dude had just been rocked with a vicious left hook.

MrClean and Eop05 like this.
  32. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I was waiting for him to blink.

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    His lack of affect:
    That doesn't really show broadsided. Generally when someone is broadsided they involuntarily show emotion.

his inability to process what was going on:
    Huh? How could he not understand and still understand enough to be curious what he was traded for?

his first instinct to call the most important person in his life for comfort:
    You know it was for comfort because....

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    /conversation over

Starry31 likes this.
  35. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Right, but I still think you wait until you're out of the office and on your own before you do that. At that point there's no question it's over.

36. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    But the camera thing was the excuse people used when Philbin stammered while cutting Chad Johnson...

And yeah, I'm sure Ireland was itching to give advice to a player he just traded.

37. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Ireland drafted the kid... I am sure there was some emotional attachment to Davis.

Anonymous, Paul 13, Bpk and 1 other person like this.
  38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I've never been fired from a job. But if I got walked into the boss' office and told that I'm fired from my career job, while I would certainly like to believe that I could make such a logical determination right that second on the spot, the reality is it's entirely possible I wouldn't be able to. Chances would be strong that a day later I would think about the things I said and the things I did in that meeting and think, why didn't I ask this question, why didn't I make this point, why did I let them just walk me out of the building without even grabbing important belongings from my desk, why did I just stare at my shoes like a moron, etc. Doing or failing to do any of these things would be illogical, irrational. The shock would have prevented me from being at my logical, rational best.

MrClean likes this.
  39. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think very little, if any at all.

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]