1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MERGED: With the First Pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, The Miami Dolphins Select.....

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by RealDriscoll, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Chris Long is the NY Strip to Glenn Dorsey's Ribeye...either way you're getting steak.

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

As long as they dont take the "Wrong' Long that is...right?:up:

I agree, if they take eithe CHRIS Long or Dorsey, I think both are winners..

3. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Not a fan of Jake whatsoever...much rather have Otah if we go that route, but obviously not with the 1st overall pick.

4. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Pre-combine who do you take at #1 overall?

Obviously, you may change your mind after the combine, pro days, etc., but after watching the bowl games who would you take at #1 overall RIGHT NOW?

I am SO torn between Glen Dorsey and Chris Long it gives me a headache sometimes thinking about it.

If I had to choose right now I would go with Glen Dorsey. But, if the draft were tomorrow morning I may go with Chris Long. :huh1:

I am also having a difficult time not drafting Darren McFadden. I mean, I thought we were all onboard previously on taking the BPA. IMO, BPA is McFadden, but we CAN'T take him because we are currently stacked at running back. (figures...)

Who would you draft if we can't trade down from #1 overall?

5. Swampfox

Swampfox Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    Chris Long

6. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Chris Long...and please check to see if there are any similar threads before posting the same thing, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  7. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I'm really leaning towards Chris Long right now, especially if we can plug up the middle with perhaps a Corey Williams or an Isaac Sopoaga in free agency. What stands out to me is that Chris can play so many positions in a 3/4 front, so you're really getting full value with that #1 pick. Drafting Chris Long will also allow the new DC to move around Porter and Taylor and line them up all over the field. This is something that a team like the Patriots do very well with Vrabel, Seau, Thomas etc.

I think Glenn Dorsey is a fine football player but I worry about how flexible he'll be in a 3/4. I feel that he is a player in the mold of Warren Sapp, best suited as a DT in a 4/3 front. Lets compare Dorsey to the Patriots' DE's in their 3/4 front. Dorsey at 6-2, is nowhere near the size of Seymour (6-6) or Warren (6-5), their starting DE's. So, I worry that he is somewhat lmited in where he can lineup and since Parcells and Ireland said they'd be going for big players in the draft, I don't think we're taking Dorsey.... unless we are playing a 4/3 which I highly doubt.

8. houtz

houtz New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I'd take Chris Long at this very moment. Dorsey would be right behind him. I'll be keeping my eye on the combine very very closely.

9. sgtphin

sgtphin Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Clay City, Indiana
    I like C.Long, and have always liked what he brings on the field, week after week! A lot of people like to use the numbers generated in at the Combine to make up their mind about a player, I prefer to do it this way: Watch the guy in as many games, against as many different competitors and styles of play, as possible. If they're good all the time, you have a player! Just because someone puts up big numbers at the Combine means very little, other than he's a trained athlete. Watch how he PLAYS, it tells you much more about his skill!

10. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

PLease please please explain to me why McFadden is the best player available.

I have studied this to some extent...I dont see it. I only watched two games of his (One of which was the bowl game) and I didnt see it there either...why oh why is everybody so high on this kid...I really really dont get it???

I know I am getting kindve old, perhaps the reason is directly in front of me and I just dont see the forrest for the trees...

BTW: I not only dont think he ISNT the best player in the draft, I dont think he is the best Runningback in the draft...in fact, I would put him at third....and only if he goes to the correct offense that needs a "Gimmick" type of player....Perhaps New Orleans, needs another?

like2god likes this.
  11. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA

I think Mcfadden's pretty special so I guess I disagree with your assessment of him. However, he's not the pick for us. RB is the very least of our worries, especially at #1 with absolute top shelf d-line talent available.

12. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    BTW I'm still salivating over that draft you had earlier in this post with us taking Dorsey, Rogers Cromartie, Davis, and Beau Bell. I don't know if there is a better realistic scenario for this team.

13. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    We're even then bro cause i am still salivating over your Steak reference in regards to Long ~vs~ Dorsey....which I also find to be very accurate :up:

14. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Hopefully we can pick up some potatoes to go with our first round steak! Christ, now I want steak for lunch and I brought a turkey on wheat with me into work!

15. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Who are the other 2?

16. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

For me in order

Chris Johnson and Mike Hart. I think both translate into much better NFL players.

What I saw of McFadden is a truely gifted athlete, but one who plays alot of gimmick type plays. He also runs VERY upright (Of course the same was true of Eric Dickerson) but for the most part, these types of backs dont last long with the pounding they get in the NFL

I am probably completely off-base here, but before I started researching and watching, I heard McFadden put in the same category as Adrian Peterson....not even close, and in fact as I have already said, I would probably take "The other (Bears)" Adrian Peterson first...

BUt as everything, that is just my view and opinion...

17. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Chris Johnson is my number 3.

I have:
    1 Jonathon Stewart
    2. Mcfadden
    3. Johnson
    4. Felix Jones
    5. Kinlaw

I know I should think more highly of Hart, but his size always gets to me.

18. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Jonathon Stewart. I didnt know much about him till ohhh.....3 days ago (Thanks for the heads-up Boom). .From things I have read, that could kid VERY well be the best back in the draft...

19. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I had the same mindset too until I saw what Jones-Drew has done in the pros.

20. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

Actually, that is EXACTLY who Hart reminds me off..also for you older folks -Joe Morris- who's little brother incidently owns the Michigan all-time rushing reacord

Anybody know who his coach was?

21. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    I am high on Calais Campbell. He remind sme a lot of Julius Peppers who turned out to be pretty good, eh? Solid against the run, can get after the Quarterback; pretty solid player

As far as Mike Hart goes, he is nowhere in McFadden's league.

1) Darren McFadden
    2) Rashard Mendenhall
    3) Jon Stewart
    4) Felix Jones
    5) Chris Johnson
    6) Kevin Smith
    7) Jamaal Charles
    8) Tashard Choice
    9) Mike Hart
    10) James Davis

That is my top 10. Hart is ok but his speed might get the best of him in the NFL.