1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merling & Langford Busts??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ElCajonJeff71, Oct 20, 2008.

1. ElCajonJeff71

ElCajonJeff71 Junior Member

Apr 25, 2008
    I know I might get crucified for this, but I had to say something....I know they are rookies and have all of 6 pro games under their belts but I'm of the opinion that when you are drafted as highly as they were and by this team who is rebuilding they should have been ready to step in right away and start producing. Langford has 2 sacks, Merling has 1 but is it me or does it seem like these 2 haven't REALLY contributed this year?? Especially Merling who doesn't seem to be getting nearly the playing time Langford is.

I'm not saying they suck, or I hate them or anything, I just wish they would be bringing more to the table than what I have seen that's all. It is very evident that teams are going to flat out pass on us all year, and teams have shown they aren't afraid to go for those 20 yd+ routes either. We have many glaring problems and I hope once the secondary problems are addressed perhaps that might help our D-line???

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't think you can talk about a rookie being a bust anytime before a year and half into his NFL career unless its a WR (in which I would say three years). That's just my opinion on it so in my eyes, they are no where near busts nor is Vernon Gholston for example whose playing terrible ball up in New York right now. Merling has made some nice plays this year, a sack on Cassell in the NE game as well as a few nice run stops. I wonder if the sports hernia still has any effect on him. He continues to use the spin moves and I think that has to change. Langford has played very well this year. He's helped fix up the run defense because of his ability to read and react. He would have had a couple more sacks if not for dumb penalties like the one in Arizona where he pulled down Warner's facemask for whatever reason. He has applied some pressure on the Quarterback.

Phins28, Kanye West, HULKFish and 5 others like this.
  3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Too early to deem them busts.

4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Have you watched the games? Langford has been terrific and Merling has been playing well. This kids are our anchors on defense for the future. Great, Great picks.

Phins28, Kanye West, PMZQ and 9 others like this.
  5. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I'll just say this - Not everyone can come in and make an instant impact.

Some things to consider:

- Keep in mind that Langford is tied for second on the team in sacks and Merling is tied for fourth, so the playmaking ability is there.

- I'll admit that they've been going through a little slump lately. (But then again, so have Ayodele, Roth, and Holiday) but they've made some good plays, particularly in the San Diego and New England games.

- There's just no way I ever feel comfortable labeling a player after 6 games. You simply cannot make that kind of judgement given the limited view. It's even worse when you're talking about D-Linemen, as they are subbed throughout the course of the game. That might just be me.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Our defense is playing better than it did last year after losing Zach and J.T. This is in large part due to how well Merling and Lanford have progressed in a very short amount of time. To call them busts is insane, IMHO.

7. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    in a 3-4 DEs shouldnt be measured by sacks but rather how they control the line. sacks are a bonus. Its the outside linebackers who get sacks in a 3-4. if a 3-4 DE gets 8 sacks in a season he's had a great year. If we can get 4 each from them before the year is out I'll be thrilled

8. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I haven't seen them getting blown off the line. Well, I saw them struggling against Baltimore because Ferguson was out, but otherwise I think they've been pretty dominant.

9. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks for adding value :pity:

I think we are actually on the verge of witnessing greatness ftom these bookends for sometime to come. Sit back and watch the show folks.

Phinperor and alen1 like this.
  10. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    To answer your thread's question, no.

11. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Chris Long: 2 sacks
    Vernon Gholston: 6 tackles, no sacks
    Glenn Dorsey: 17 tackles, no sacks
    Sedrick Ellis: 9 tackles, 1 sack
    Derrick Harvey: 5 tackles, no sacks
    Keith Rivers: no sacks, and he's hurt already!
    Jerod Mayo: 34 tackles, no sacks
    Leodis McKelvin: 12 tackles, no sacks, no INTs
    Dominique Rodgers-Cro- 7 tackles, no sacks, no INTs
    Aqib Talib: 8 tackles, no sacks, 3 INTs
    Mike Jenkins: 12 tackles, no INTs, no sacks
    Antoine Cason: 32 tackles,no sacks 1 INT
    Lawrence Jackson: 15 tackles, 2 sacks
    Kentwan Balmer: 3 tackles, no sacks
    Kenny Phillips: 27 tackles, no INTs no sacks

Philip Merling: 13 tackles, 1 sack
    Kendall Langford: 13 tackles, 2 sacks

what a bunch o busts these rookies are!

talib is the ONLY one to have 3 game changing plays!!

12. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    me too. ive been pretty impressed with all our rookies

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  13. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

These two are the least of the Dolphins worries, and actually are contributing rather well on that young defense.

14. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Especially not Langford. He's been really good and he was what? ..a 3rd. rd. pick? He's starting and producing better than a lot of 1st rd picks around the league. He's in on a lot of plays. It's not all about sacks and in the 3-4 you usually don't see big flashy sacks from the DEs. That usually comes from the OLBs. That's crazy to call either of them a bust, especially Langford and especially at this point in the season. Do you not see how we're much improved this year despite what happened the last couple of weeks? and we were in all of those games until the end.

15. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    For a moment I thought I was on another forum.

We can count the two players mentioned as part of the great draft that we had .The top four picks are all very good .They will all be key players in the rebuilding effort.

The only picks I have my doubts about are in the later rounds with the exception of Donald Thomas.

I dont understand the two RB picks and Murphy looks like a project.

Brown42000 and cnc66 like this.
  16. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Can we make it through one prospects rookie season without "bust" threads being started?

It's a regular occurence.

I know we've been traumatized by the organizations failures in recent history in drafts but all of you have to realize the reality of how young prospects progress and the fact that for most, there is a timeline of development.

Merling and Langford have surprised me at how well they've played for rookie prospects.

Ozzy, funkdat and Bpk like this.
  17. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    [mod]unecessary comment removed[/mod]

I think your problem is, you are viewing Merling and Langford in consideration of a speed rusher. They are 3-4 DEs, and in that context are more like defensive tackles in terms of production and statistics. I can't think of a 3-4 DE in recent years who broke double digit sacks.

At a brief glance, last year the leading sack guy among 3-4 DEs in the league last year was Bryant Young, with 6 1/2 sacks. Richard Seymour, the most heralded 3-4 DE since the defenses resurgence, averages 4 per year.

Ludacris and alen1 like this.
  18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I can understand one of the Running Back picks. Hilliard was compared to Marion Barber coming out because of his smashmouth running style and there were questions surrounding the health of Ronnie as well as Ricky's future. I am big on Parmele but didn't completely understand picking both of them. I thought one would be enough. In regards to the Murphy pick, I'm guessing they liked his experience at Utah State (24 starts) and he protected well down there. He had only three sacks allowed in 550+ plays. He's also versatile so that's probably a reason. Donald Thomas was very raw coming out of UCONN and many didn't even expect him to hit the field this year. I thought he'd be a PS guy so he can further develop his game but fortunately, he came on very quickly and that made the Murphy pick look bad.

19. Duss

Duss Season Ticket Holder

Dec 9, 2007
    Thank you for making me choke on my meal!

20. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Derek.. it was like dejavu.

I'm sorry but I disagree with the very premise of this thread. There is absolutely nothing ever printed or said that would give cause to generate a "bust" thread. These two kids have performed well for us and deserve better than a "bust" thread just six games into their rookie year. That this thread was generated at all speaks volumes about not really watching them play, and repeating what was heard somewhere else.

Ozzy, EdSta74, late again and 5 others like this.
  21. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Yeah, what they said...so in short they are not busts.

They have actually done very well from what they were given as assignments. Hopefully that should give you some comfort in these young guys, ElCajon. Don't worry they're fine. There are other areas on the team that we need to worry about right now.

22. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Jets fans are already labeling Gholston as a bust. So yeah... let's not take that mindset with a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

23. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Thank you :up:

The season isn't even at it's midway point and people are already talking about players being busts? Patience people.

24. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Where does this stuff come from? REALLY!

25. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Lol this is the same guy who said Miami will win one game this season after the Arizona game.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Is it? I thought that was someone else?

27. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    please return to the thread topic gentlemen.

like2god and alen1 like this.
  28. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    if anything, those two have been the few bright spots on this team.

alen1 likes this.
  29. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Nope its the same guy he seems to come around when Miami is losing or struggling.

Back on topic I couldn't disagree more about Langford and Merling being busts. They have both been solid and Langford commands double teams at times.

30. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    No, No and No. Merling hasnt been as noticeable out there as Langford has, but for rookies, coming in to the league, they've played well up to this point. Just because you dont see them on the stat sheets loaded with sacks, doesnt mean they aren't doing your jobs. 3-4's generally rely on OLB's for pressure and sacks. Langford has played well, picking up a couple of sacks already as well, Merling also has 1.

Just sit back, wait, give them time. These guys are going to be our ends on Defense for a long time to come i think

31. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Having Merling and Langford make the team this year, as well as Long Thomas and Smiley on the other side mean in the first season the new front office staff has cured our D-line and O-line ills. Bothe Langford and Merling are ballers, neither one is starting because there are vets in front of them. What it means is in NEXT years draft we will be able to go after the secondary upgrades and WR that we need in addition to generating depth everywhere else in later rounds.
    I really need a job so I can get my club level access back.

32. anlgp

Langford is starting.

33. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Guys, i think we should be careful here. I mean, those who would offer opinions on this forum may simply not have the understanding others have. So I think it's best to just help them rather than vilify them. They only want to contribute and they are probably new to this site. they are only asking for clarity on the situation. we don't need to scare them away.

Vengeful Odin and alen1 like this.
  34. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    your missing horton from washington. he will win DROY

35. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Osi sucked his first year...we know how that worked out.

36. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    It's hard to stomach threads like this, but I suppose that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Thanks to all of you that offered evidence to the contrary and solid football insights without resulting to absolutely ripping the author of the thread.

That's what makes this board great.

CrunchTime likes this.
  37. anlgp

Not trying to scare or rip anyone. If I know something that someone doesn't that's why I'm here. To help people.

38. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    Or not knowing what are they doing in a 3-4...

39. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    [​IMG]

funkdat and hugoguzman like this.
  40. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I feel like I need to come to jeff's defense here. Some of you are kind of piling on here. While I don't know the guy too well, I do know:
    1. he's a new member of our community.
    2. he's a Dolphin fan
    Y'know I sometimes read the "introductory" threads. We welcome a new member, and go on and on about what a great site we have here and give the impression that we are a "kinder, gentler" group. So are we or not?....
    Give the guy a break. Not knowing something shouldn't make a member subject to scorn. should it? Especially a new member who even stated he was hesitant to mention what was on his mind.
    Someone else in this same thread didn't even realize that Langford was starting.
    And I do know that I've read other posts in different threads where it was clear that others didn't know everything there is to know about the game.

alen1 likes this.