1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meyer's recruiting tactics are something to question.

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by BuckeyeKing, Jan 2, 2008.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    http://therockreport.blogspot.com/2007/12/recruiting-end-game.html

I know Urban isnt the only coach to do this but this is the first time I have seen anything like this.

I want thoughts on this from all fans.

2. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    AHHH Oscar Liar........

This is long and probably way more than you want to hear but I am venting a little because an arrogant, lying, egotistical man is screwing with 17-18 year old kids lives and they have no value to him...read his post game comments yesterday.....and is exampled by the FACT I personally know two families that had sons play under him and neither can eat spaghetti and hear Urban Meyers name in the same sentence without dirtying the table cloth.....although neither was RECRUITED by Meyer....

Oscar is notorious negative recruiter. He played up Sean Taylor’s death as a fact that Miami is unsafe...as if Denny Rolling never existed. He and Doc Holiday are on the verge of not being allowed to visit some SFLA kids on campus. You are obviously aware of the Javon Snead and Orgeron comments in Meat Market. IMHO...no probably,,,no fact is....Urban is probably the most slimy, most negative, recruiter with the least character....AND as a CANE fan I NEVER want him to leave UF.....here is why....

Oscar made a reputation on playing a weak schedule with a new innovative offense at BG and Utah, and one special player. He was not there long enough to prove he could sustain recruiting.

At UF he inherited a great group of players and won with someone else's talent and fairly new system to the SEC. He also has had 2 once in a lifetime players that to his credit he has used perfectly.

This and next year are the pinnacle of Florida football, he will never again have a talent gap between him and UM, FSU and the rest of the SEC that he has now with Tebow and Harvin. With 2 great once in a lifetime skill position guys he lost 4 games. A Hiesman winner and the most dynamic player probably in the country as a runner....and they lost 4 games.....defense does not exist in G'ville...........

Now Urban will out recruit and he more often than not identifies the better skill guys. He has never had a lot of success with the non skill player..OL/DL particular....and now he is going to have to morph his offense in many peoples opinion. Tebow is as tough as any CF player I have seen....in 4 games this year teams have made a once in a lifetime talent throw the ball while getting pressure, ... result 4 losses..

Teams are figuring out the spread that Oscar runs and he does not really run a lot of different things from it...he does do a lot of the same things from different formations, and movements and does a GREAT JOB creating opportunities for Tebow and Harvin.

With the recruiting reputation that Meyer is earning he can get kids that but into it all day, I'd prefer my team take character and I believe be better off. I think the "spread" is coming back to the pack and talent will even out as people figure out how to attack his system and Tebow and particularly Harvin leave.

He was definitely an innovative coach at Bowling Green and Utah with 'the spread'. Florida after 2 years the SEC has caught up to him...and he cannot SUSTAIN recruiting in my opinion...he has never had to...he has been a hit and run coach.....2 years BG, 2 years Utah, 3 years Florida.....recruiting has gone down every year overall with the exception of the Tebow jewel.......

He "invinted" something great...now lets see if he can sustain it with that system. GREAT coach, lousy human being ..............and will do anything to get a recruit to buy in....

3. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    I knew you'd be all over this ;)
    I believe your hate for Meyer has to led you to go a little overboard with some of your statements. Some of what you say in regards to recruiting may be true, but some of the other stuff you say I know to be bologna.

I bow to your expertise in recruiting knowledge, as I just don't follow it very closely. That said, I have little doubt that negative recruiting is alone in Gainesville, or even rare. The stakes are high, and with that comes aggressive tactics. This isn't excusing them, or saying they're a good thing, just something I believe to be a fact of life in today's college game.

Regarding the new system. I just want to clarify what far too often gets blurred. The "spread" isn't new to the SEC or UF. The spread option is. UF has run the "spread" ever since Spurrier left... blah blah blah with the differences, I just need to get that out as it seems everyone wants to lump them together. I assure you, aside from spreading the WR's out, there are very few similarities between Meyer's offense and the spread we ran under Zook.

I can't tell you how irritating I find this. You had it right with your last comment in the first paragraph here, but you should have stopped there. Instead you let the UF/Meyer hate momentum train take you into blaming Martha for Sophia's yeast infection. Florida lost games this year because of a pathetic defense. Against LSU, they ran the ball all night. Needing to pass wasn't even a factor. It had ZERO to do with the passing game, other than Tebow hitting Ingram in the helmet with the ball and it deflecting to LSU for a pick. Florida led the entire game until it's panty wearing defense allowed 5 fourth down conversions on LSU's final drive.

Auburn played UF much like a Parcells team would play a more talented team. They ran the ball over and over, and threw short passes to control the clock and keep the offense off the field. They scouted UF perfectly, and were on the positive end of some idiotic penalties keeping them in the game. Tebow was 20-27 in that game. Please don't even intimate that UF lost because they had to rely on his passing.

Georgia and Michigan can pretty much be lumped together. Zero defense, and just as little pass protection. Still no picks in either game for Tebow. Nothing to do with his passing, and everything to do with running for his life and a nonexistent defense. Even with five turnstiles, UF somehow managed 35 points against Michigan. Again, look to the defense here.

The "spread" seems to be spreading everywhere in college. I don't see how it's coming back to the pack. It's frequently the offense that you see in major upsets because of the mismatches it creates. The one he runs scored less than 30 points twice in 13 games, despite an OL that can't block.

The only problem I have with the offense is that Tebow doesn't run enough when he can really hurt a defense. Nearly all of his runs are designed running plays. I would like to see more running a la Vince Young. Young gained gobs of yards when his "spread" offense had WRs running everywhere, and he could just take off after his first read. NFL scouts be damned, that's what was missing against Michigan at the end. He stayed in the pocket (which should have been moved with all the blitzing) going through his reads. A little Vince Young run-when-you're-supposed-to-pass would have stopped all that blitzing.

How has the SEC caught up to his offense? UF had the 4th ranked scoring offense (none higher in the SEC), and 14th overall ranked offense (none higher in the SEC).
    We'll see about he recruiting catching up to him, but how exactly has it gone down every year when last year's class was the top ranked class?

I do have my questions about whether he can sustain it. I certainly don't see him moving to new teams after a few years as a negative though. Those were obvious "promotions". I only question it because it has yet to happen.

My other question is defensive recruiting because of the dismal performance this year. That said, UF lost 9 of 11 starters, and much of its rotational players. That's why you had nothing but teenagers out there with Harvey and Joiner. Joiner is no world beater. Harvey was great the first half of the year, but IMO was worn out due to playing twice the amount of snaps, if not more, that he played in '06. A LOT will depend on how all these freshmen and sophomores develop next year. Then we can talk about how well he truly recruits.

4. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    I know Meyer's no saint. I also know this is a blog, and a rumor form a "source". We've all seen how accurate "sources" can be.

FWIW, Javon Sneed would have had to be an idiot to think Meyer was recruiting Tebow as a LB. I'd really like to know more than his word on it. It seems like a sarcastic remark to me.

In this case, I think it's one of those things you'll believe if you want to believe it and disregard it if you don't want to believe it.

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Needs more reliable sources before it takes off.

6. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Negative recruiting is nothing new. It happens everywhere. There was just a big incident on the Miami Herald's Cane site awhile back about Randy Shannon making up stories about murders in Gainesville to counter the violence rate in Coral Gables. Not making excuses for Meyer, I wouldn't be surprised if he stretches the truth on occasion but this stuff happens everywhere.

7. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    I had a sarcastic comment in place here, but decided to replace it with a "hmmmm, interesting" until I have my coffee.

8. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    That incident was very interesting, wish I still had the link. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

It was a two part interview in which he went all out trying to slam every other major University to make UM look good. Talked about how a good friend of his was murdered in Gainesville while he was a student at UF, talked alot about Sean Taylor, the "shady business" at OSU, etc... Meanwhile people responded to the articles in full force with links and proof that proved half of what he said was BS. His friend that supposedly was murdered at UF actually died of cancer in his 40s in Miami. It was crazy stuff. The Herald actually had to pull the interview article cause it caused such an uproar.

9. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

I was gonna say...

And in other related news, Steroids is running rampant in MLB...and this just in, College Basketball is actully Minor LEague basketball with the premise that any of these kids are getting an education....

EDIT: To think that ANY major College Football Program isnt "Bending" the rules a bit in regards to recruiting is just plain ignorance...sorry but gotta call it like it is. Sorry, but this is no longer ALma Matter against Alma Matter, no it is far from that. the "Prestige" that was once proud has turned into nothing more than opporutnity ti make boat-loads of money. By the schools, by the coaches and of course by the players (Not to mention stippends for boosters).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  10. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    very interesting

11. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Motion, you are somewhat correct but also misleading a little on this...

Shannon grew up with Walter Odom and he was stabbed in Gainesville at a party...Shannon said attempted murder, the writer acknowledged what was actually said, Shannon corrected it again in the media and everyone moved on.....there was no "making up stories"...as for what Doc Holiday said it is documented by the kids he said it to at MNW and by one of the writers at Rivals.....

12. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    See my other post this whole lying to the press was about Walter Odom a former Gator and this is being portrayed incorrectly....

13. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Believe what you will. This stuff happens everywhere and words get twisted all the time.

14. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    yea.. take that you.. you.. Cane haters... you..

I was about to say; wow, those buckeye guys just can't let it go and what happens.. the gator swings around and attacks..wrongfully attacks Randy Shannon. :wacko:

15. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I find it ironic that anybody would question the hiring tactics of ANY college coach without looking in their own backyard....

Marty, you and your Middies are of course the exception to that rule...

16. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I'm not attacking anyone. I don't even hate the Canes.

I'm just giving an example of how this kinda stuff happens everywhere and that story popped into my mind.

I mean, how ironic for a Buckeye fan to bring something like this up after all the Maurice Clarett stuff just a few years ago. So whats worse, telling kids what they wanna hear or paying them?

Its just kind of annoying that Meyer seems to be a target all the time when this stuff happens everywhere, not just at Florida.

17. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    That's why I stopped at "very interesting".
    I think most of the rumors out there need to be taken with a grain of salt. Even the ones you're willing to condemn Meyer for. I'm not going to there with Shannon, even if more surfaces after he's has several years of head coaching experience.
    I just don't believe that there is a single choir boy among the top recruiting coaches. Maybe
    that was Coker's problem :confused2:
    It's kind of like politics. Everyone starts out positive, but when it becomes crunch time, they all go negative. There's simply too much at stake.

18. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    And it does seem to happen more with Cane fans than others.

19. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    well ya shoulda used that emoticon sticking out his tounge, instead y'all cry some more.. man, that meeshigan loss made you guys all sensitive.. I'm done, no more trying to make jokes with you guys ...

20. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains

21. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Mo buddy we will have to agree to disagree....Patrick Johnson...anyone in the know, and i do have friends that coach HS in SFLA.....know why PJ was removed from the Canes recruiting list...his old man asked for $$$$$$, many can speculate and I do not care if you believe me or not, I trust guys I have known for 30 years to tell me the truth........so we both know he will end up at FSU.

I think rather than lying to a recruit like Larentee McCray you do what Shannon and Barrow did...you tell him you want him to committ, stop with the trips or your schoolly is off the table...MCCray took more trips did not inform UM ...and poof...his scholly is off the table....that is honorable in my book. Say what you will do and do what you say.

Meyer's lack of respect for people came from his own locker room after the MU loss, with his comments about kids that "contibute". i played 3 years and never saw the field in college...if he made the comment to me that i did not contribute and 'had no value', I'd punch the smug *** in the face. But i have met him before on multiple occassions and it does not surprise me...the man is an *** in my book and I make no apologies for the semantics or my feelings...love him if you want that is your choice.

You can live in fantasy land if you wish and think Meyer is a saint...I KNOW better...and no I do not think UM is pure as the new snow...but Urban Meyer IMHO and many others and it is gaining steam...IS A LOT WORSE THAN MOST.....

22. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    You are certainly not who I was referring to. You and Celtkin are the main reason I always try to be as fair as possible with the Canes. Not to mention that I liked them way back in the day.

23. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    The Georgia game was a mess all over. We got ran over on defense and had absolutely zero running threat. That was the game in which Tebow played with a severely bruised shoulder that clearly affected his game.

The "UF's defense is a no show 4-5 times every year" comment is just plain silly, anyone that them to be lights out again after losing 9 starters is just fooling themselves.

I understand where your coming from with Wuerfful and Leak being classy, but I sure hope your not suggesting Tebow isn't. I'm well aware of how you feel about him as a QB and NFL prospect but as a human being you don't get much more classy and well rounded than him.

Your opinion on Meyer is well noted, not even gonna try to change that. Too each their own.

24. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    X2

:ffic:

25. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Mo you and I are good...BUT you ever wonder why Meyer is the target?...Maybe cause he IS AN *** and does what the gathering storm of people say he does. I met the MAN...he is a first rate, 24K, Pri&*. I would be the first to ask for reinstatement to Gator nation if this guy got hit by a bus or left town...I cannot stand the *** for things I KNOW and have seen with my own eyes that he has done. I cannot believe people like the HS coach's, people I know and have done business with for years, Rival's, Javon Snead, Ed Orgeron, and some of the other people who have earned credibility would lie and Meyer is always telling the truth or misunderstood....does not pass the sniff test to me......but you believe what you want.........

26. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Fair enough

I never claimed he was a saint. All I'm saying is he seems to always be the scapegoat in this debate. More power to Shannon, if thats how he really is. I know you've mentioned the book before but the whole recruiting game really is a "Meat Market". Somehow I doubt theres only one coach out there doing whatever he can to get the players he wants.

27. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Fair enough.

I know he's not perfect, I mean he's friends with Bill Belichick for God sakes! :001_rolleyes:

Hopefully as you mentioned this doesn't come back to bite UF in the rear. Seems like it could eventually though.

28. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Motion, I apologize if I even remotely lumped Tebow in with Meyer. I think Tebow is a great QB...not a great throwing QB...but that is a different debate that we have had:)

Tebow is in the same class with Leak and Wuerrful IMHO....a class kid that I have the utmost respect for as I see him. I think Tim Tebow would be a success if he had not one ounce of AA...he is without a doubt one of the best representatives of CF and personally he gives me a little more hope because for our youth. CLASS, and INTEGRITY the whole way from Tim Tebow...

sorry if I mislead, did not mean to in ANY way...Tim Tebow is the definition of honor and class....

29. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    :thumbup:

30. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Because you do not want to believe something does not make it untrue……This is long and most will not care…so don’t respond if you do not care, and if you do not want to hear about character, only football…do not read, stop here…..no problems.

Guy/Gator fans…I am not going to continue a bash Urban Meyer thread as much as I think it is well warranted. You guys will believe what you want anyway. I’ll just give you some links, some facts and a little of my opinion and a warning….

I have personal experiences directly with Urban Meyer and communications with people that would not and do not lie…but you do not know me personally and have no reason to verify the truth, and with a bias toward a school you love you will be bias towards a representative of that school. Very much understood.

That said I included some links that you should read. It is interesting to see Gator fans on Gator Bait totally denying and saying it is stupid to even think Meyer would say such things…then when the recording is posted, well it’s not so bad anyway It’s funny how loyalties and your morals change when your favorite team’s coach is busted. College athletics in general and recruiting at UF have become an area of no morality, no integrity and no higher personal character. But to those with no core beliefs it is easy to swing in the wind in the direction your favorite coach points……

Someone spoke of context and lies and brought Randy Shannon’s name into the mix, as if he lied to a reporter, when in fact the reporter did not quote one word in their article, apologized, and we went on….the first two links are regarding Urban Meyer’s statement on national TV stating UF has the highest graduation rates of all teams in a bowl which the second link obviously brings out as a lie.

Now is it a “lie”….not really. UF graduation rate is very high for it’s football team…80% for the last rolling 4 year average….it was the highest; before Meyer took over and it has declined every year since his arrival …meaning each year of Meyers presence it has declined enough to lower the 4 year rolling average. So the statement was a little white lie to make Meyer look good…he just “forgot” it was 3 years later. BTW that is 10% lower in 2 full years…

Meyer has not had a full four years to lower the average the totality he obviously will given results to date and the high standards that Zook and Spurrier established. For the record the latest 4 year stats for FSU (52%) and UM (68%). You hated Ron Zook as Gator fans because he had no ability yet he suddenly has the ability to take a never was like Illinois to the Rose Bowl. He has the same record as Urban Meyer I believe…..graduates more kids, never even come close to tarnishing his or the schools reputation that Meyer does daily, recruited kids that Meyer won a NC with…and that is not enough……

Florida has had 12 players arrested and 3 former players or transfers in just the past year….happens everywhere you say….Miami (1, Marve) FSU (5). They had several non qualifiers every year under Zook and Spurrier…they have had 2 under Meyer in 2 years, now is that because Meyer recruits such exemplary students, or possibly is the administration lowering their standards to take lesser quality students into UF?

The depth of Meyer and Holiday’s negative recruiting tactics are just now beginning to come out (and it will get worse), players arrested, lowering standards, poor morale down to secretaries in the AO, declining production in the classroom, your coaches making nothing but enemies out of in State HS coaches, no full recruiting term history because your coach switched schools so fast, Javon Snead recruitment becoming public, and just a general big question mark, and a negative “feel”. How do you have two of the best players in the country and lose four games? The signs are Sabanesque, and we could not see those either…..be aware…..

Who cares you may say…well character is football and football is character…when you lower your character and expectations your on field product will decline and ala Ricky Williams players will let you down at the worst possible times…you become losers…

Do you think it is coincidence that the most talented Gator QB’s guys like Johnson and Stabelhouse are pumping gas and never won big in Gainesville while quality guys and leaders like Chris Leak and Danny Wuerrful are wearing NC rings? UM saw that under Coker great guy lousy coach willing to throw anyone under the bus to win and the exact opposite happens. UM has examples the same way at QB like side arming Bernie Kosar and Ken Dorsey neither of whom who could not outrun my dead grandmother or throw across my living room; winning NC’s…all those teams (Gator and Canes) had character and leaders..look at where they are now in life…..you are losing that slowly with Urban Meyer at Florida….be forewarned the signs are there; refer to line 1 of this post…. Because you do not want to believe something does not make it untrue……it came from a Gator………….

I am mature…OLD enough and have enough experience in the business world to realize that some people simply do not care, and that is OK. If you are willing to lower your self respect; and support and pretend that it these issues are OK or taken out of context or a grudge, or whatever, that is OK also. It is also OK to say I do not care I just want to win. Just be forewarned that character, integrity and morality will always be more important than winning Football games….funny part is without the character and integrity you lose more than you win…beware of what you have.

Personal integrity and character are more important than football, sometimes a post on a football forum can remind us of that in our daily lives….and how it all interacts.

Have a good day today.

Grad rates:
    http://stanford.scout.com/2/618619.html
    Out of context or lying
    http://www.uhnd.com/blog/2007/notre-dame-football/urban-meyer-is-a-lying-sack-of-crap/
    http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=145&F=3154&T=1762825&P=1#s=145&f=3154&t=1762825
    http://florida.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=865&tid=109157165&mid=109157165&sid=882&style=2
    http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2008/01/capital_one_bowl_audio_florida.html

http://sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/5562059/0/0/5568413#ID5568413

http://wearesc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23711

http://loserswithsocks.com/2007/06/21/ranking-the-florida-gator-arrests/

SUNDAY, Dec. 30:
    BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — After they get done watching their team play in the Capital One Bowl on New Year's Day, Florida fans can flip the channel, watch Ron Zook lead Illinois into the Rose Bowl and resume one of the Sunshine State's great bar debates.
    Sure, he got the players, but could Zook have led the Gators to the national title they won last year under Urban Meyer?
    The guess here is no, but it has nothing to do with the worn-out theory that Zook was a great recruiter who didn't know how to coach 'em.
    As he's proving this year with the Illini, he's a very good coach. That fast-break offense full of no-huddle and bubble screens that seemed gimmicky at Florida is working. Zook believes in it because when he was a defensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints, the St. Louis Rams ran it — remember The Greatest Show on Turf? — and gave him more trouble than anyone else.
    No, the reason it probably wasn't doable for The Zooker at Florida is simply because there was too much "noise in the machine," as he used to call it. He was disliked from the very beginning. Every decision he made came under heavy scrutiny. He wasn't Steve Spurrier.
    It all added up to his firing in the middle of his third year. He believes that had he been given more time, things would have been different. Maybe Florida would have two titles by now. But it's hard for me to believe all the distractions weren't throwing the players off message and maybe even keeping Zook from focusing on the most important stuff.
    But that's not a criticism of Zook, only one person's opinion.
    Regardless, it has been nice this week to see a coach who was reviled and ridiculed in one place become such a beloved success in another. Illinois fans gave him a standing ovation when he walked into the team hotel the other day. For anyone who saw the way his dysfunctional relationship with Florida fans played out, this was truly an amazing site.
    Second chances are a great part of life, and sports. It's nice to see a good guy get his and make the most of it.
    _ AP National Writer Eddie Pells

31. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I'm tired of ND recruiting Dlineman for this guy...

Hunter's going to be great, but ND's class doesnt need him to be a success. Hopefully we can pull Martin away from Michigan to fill this hole.

32. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I'm not going to dissect the whole post or question your sources but there is alot of misinformation in your post, especially pertaining to Zook.

Illinois won a whopping 2 games last year and he never won more than 8-9 games at UF, he and Meyer have nowhere near the same record.

Gator fans biggest complaint about Zook was his in game coaching which to this day is still and issue and nowhere near Meyer.

If Zook is such a stand up guy what was he doing at a frat party on a friday night getting into students faces that were instigating fights with his players??

Whatever it is Meyer is doing, it hasn't stopped him from bringing in his fair share of high character players. We are talking about 18 year old kids here, no coach goes without having a few bad apples. For the most part he has been very strict with dealing with troublemakers. Marcus Thomas, Jarvis Moss, Ronnie Wilson, Brandon James, Dustin Doe, etc.... were all either suspended for games or kicked off the team completely for run ins with the law or drug issues. And as grades go, the whole team was eligible for the bowl game which is more than most major programs can say. He requires a 2.9 to play, obviously thats not astronomical but he does have academic standards.

I'm by no means saying Meyer is a saint but there is alot of statements in this thread that are either untrue or apply to alot more coaches than just him.

33. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    Where to start........I live in Gainesville. I remember Channing Crowder hitting a 160 pound student over the head with a KEG at a party the players crashed. Those were the days......

I have to love that anyone in the English speaking world thought that Tim Tebow was being recruited as a linebacker, LOL. That right there is a IQ test that someone failed.

34. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Motion...I did post some of my opinions but those were mostly of the character view...if there is any questions there it is probably something in a link or the cut/paste...which credit is given to the AP writer...I was trying to be very benign in my own views. The Zook comment I made is very clearly a question and my opinion, otherwise the C/P is from an AP writer...................

I don't think there is anything I stated that is not pretty well backed up. Doc said what he said people heard it, Javon Snead is on record, Ed Orgeron is on record, ND is on record, recruits are on record, hell he is on recording saying some of his seniors have no value to him...it is one of the links.

Hell I give the Gators credit for having a hell of a graduating rate before Urban got there. The quote/lie was on national TV so I am not sure how that one can be explained away...the graduation rates are the graduation rates and the study was done in a PHD program at Stanford...I am not sure why Stanford would fudge records. I have personally seen Urban insult others that gave mightily to kids and the program, you yourself said something to the effect Meyer get picked on (well that IS his reputation, and he in point of fact does work for UF), I told you about the 2 kids families I know, and what some of my friends that are coaches in SFLA are saying ... what exactly is UNTRUE?

Possibly the links but I don't see anything I said as even debateable...might be wrong I will go re read...I was trying to stay away from the Urban stuff and give Gator fans a differeing more contrararian perspective...let me know what links have something stated as fact instead of opinion and I will certainly make a point to contact those links and have them corrected.......

UF is a great school with great individuals there. I have had a lot of fun in G'ville over the years.....nothing against UF...........I love it there.....but I do not see what I said that has not been backed up...............................as for his rep...it is what it is...if you think he has a sterling rep out there in the world ... your are wrong IMHO ..................

35. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Sorry Motion, I meant this year were they not both 9-4?

36. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    To be fair to Gator Nation and motion, they are correct things were not wonderful under Zook/Spurrier either...for example: this list goes back a ways to take it in context......and please let me know and I will ammend if any are untrue.

Agent Issues

Fred Taylor - Dealings with agent Tank Black

Reidel Anthony - Dealings with agent Tank Black

Ike Hilliard- Dealings with agent Tank Black

Javon Kearse - Dealings with agent Tank Black

Jacquez Green - Dealings with agent Tank Black

Mike Peterson - Dealings with agent Tank Black

Reggie McGrew - Dealings with agent Tank Black

Johnny Rutledge - Dealings with agent Tank Black

Keith Council - ?Dealings with agent Tank Black

Tim Beauchamp - Dealings with agent Mike McDonald

Dock Pollard - Dealings with agent Mike McDonald

Mo Collins - Accepted cash from agent

Tony George - Family at Holiday Inn on agents credit card

Thefts

Jabar Gaffney - Multi thefts of money and items

Reidel Anthony - Credit card fraud

Fred Taylor - Credit card fraud - some law books among other things

Ron Graddy - Accessory armed Robbery, driving a getaway car

Doc Pollard - Multiple - Book theft - skipping classes

Jamie Richardson - Threw a deadly missile into a restaurant, aggravated battery (pool stick), credit card fraud

Damian Hill - Book theft

Pat Browning - DUI, Purse theft

Takeo Brown - Domestic Violence (slammed pregnant girlfriend), credit card fraud

Assault

Derrick Corker - Domestic battery and criminal mischief

Dwight Edge - Aggravated Stalking, battery

Jamie Richardson - aggravated battery with a pool stick (1997)

Jamie Richardson – credit card fraud

Jamie Richardson – Discharging a deadly missile (1996)

Anthony Mitchel - Misdemeanor Battery

Ernie Badeaux – Battery (1995)

Ernie Badeaux – Battery (1997)

Johnie Church - Domestic Violence (assaulted wife)

Elijah Williams - Sexual Battery, obstructing justice, coercing witnesses to lie

Takeo Brown - Domestic Violence (slammed pregnant girlfriend), credit card fraud

Tony Davis - Held girlfriend over the railing of her fourth-floor dormitory balcony and threatened to let her go

Aubrey Hill - Assault women

Darren Hambrick - Assault with deadly weapon

Anthony Riggins - Assault with deadly weapon

Willie Jackson - Attacked police officer at Gator Growl

Dustin Doe - Arrested for assault and battery in parking garage 2007

Avery Atkins – domestic assault – kicked off team

Ronnie Mathew Wilson – Aggravated assault, simple battery

DUI/Driving

Pat Browning - DUI, Purse stealer, theft

Ryan Kalich - DUI, crashed into an off-duty deputy

Ian Skinner - 15 Days jail - multiple driving infractions

Drugs

Gerard Warren - Marijuana possession

Ian Skinner - X

Marcus Thomas - kicked off team for drug violations

Jarvis Moss – suspended for drug violations

Major Parker - BB Player and Assistant coach at UF during - Busted for selling 1/2 kilo of coke to undercover officers.

Guns

Zach Zedalis - Gun in dorm

Demetrice Webb – Involved in shooting in residential complex

Kenneth Tookes – Involved in shooting in residential complex (shot Webb’s AK-47)

Ronnie Matthew Wilson – Display and firing of a concealed weapon

Betting

Kyle Morris - Betting on football

Shane Matthews - Betting on football games

Unknown

Eugene McCaslin - 3 game rules violation

John Demps – kicked off team for traffic violations (more unknown)

(this list does not include the Gaffney and Respert incidents)

1999) Derrick Corker - Arrested for domestic battery and criminal mischief.

1999) Dwight Edge - Felony Stalking.

1999) Rod Graddy - Accessory Armed Robbery.

199 Dwight Edge - Misdemeanor battery.

199 Jamie Richardson - aggravated battery.

1997) Anothny Mitchell - misdemeanor battery.

1997) Ernie Badeaux - Assualt.

1997) Elijah Williams - Sexual assualt.

1996) Jamie Richardson - Charged with throwing a deadly missile into a restaurant.

1995) Ernie Badeaux - Charged with hitting someone in the back of the head.

1995) Johnie Church - Domestic violence.

1995) Teako Brown - Aggravated battery against his girlfriend.

37. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    LOL ... we are talking about Javon Snead...not exactly nuclear physisisisisisititi........hemself.

38. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Remember Greg Cleveland...I knew Greg from Jr. High School and his roommate was Alonzo Johnson...we spent a few weekends with Greg ....... a keg over someones head did not even register further conversation in those days.......back then it was TRULY WILD!!!!!!!

39. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains

40. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Wasn't Channing a Zook recruit? Same thing with Marcus Thomas.

I'm not going to discount your posts. I'm sure you know what you are talkin gabout with most of this stuff, however you have looked past things like Meyer kicking Thomas off the team. He kicked his best player off the team, and it wasn't even for breaking any law or university rules. It was for breaking his word to Meyer. How many coaches would be prepared to kick their best player off the team?

The Crowder thing reminded me of when Meyer was brought in. Channing and other players decided to leave the team/declare for the draft. Some said they would have stayed if Zook was still there. That effects the graduation rate, right?

Did you have a source or documentation that Meyer has lowered academic standards? I'm not being sarcastic, I just didn't see it.

I don't have much patience for the Zook stuff. I'll start by saying I REALLY like the guy, and root like hell for him. But the fact is, he's just a not an elite coach. He is an elite recruiter, maybe the best recruiter in college football. What other coach who hasn't accomplished anything, other than to consistently have his team play up and down to its opponents, can keep pulling in top recruits with such consistency? My hat's off to him.
    Ask yourself if you would want him to be the head coach at Miami? Miami deserves an elite coach right? Zook is perfect for Ill. They are looking to be competitive. He will certainly do that. They don't expect to win their conference every year, etc. like fans of elite programs do. As long as their expectations stay there, they will not be disappointed. FWIW, I'm not just projecting this on their fans, it's from conversations I had with Ill. fans before FH went down.

Were you upset when Coker was let go? Another great guy. He won a championship with one of the most talented rosters in CFB history. It wasn't a roster he built, but he won it. They declined every year after that, but he was a great guy that his players loved.

Again I am not claiming Meyer is a saint. I don't know him to decided one way or the other. However, I do see that you are presenting only one side of the argument.