1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MH: Kiper thinks Miami will debate McClain/Bryant

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Link: HERE

2. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

ILB please, Bill Parcells wins that argument 10 of 10 times.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  3. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    And that is why a majority of the people around the world with any interest in the NFL draft pay attention to what Mel Kiper has to say before the draft

And that is why three guys on the beach in Cuba read what your opinion is in the paper that they find above the shoreline, right before they use 1/2 of it to wipe their pooters and the other half to start the bonfire.

Or maybe they were just checking to make sure all the sand was off...

Why do you still have a job Mandy??? Are your knees dirty?

4. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    im sorry but if McClain and Dez Bryant are still on the board you take the BPA and that is Dez Bryant and IMO it would be a lot harder to pass on bryant then McClain. ILB like RB are the two easest spots to fill on a team IMO

DeDolfan, jason8er and texanphinatic like this.
  5. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I'd be ecstatic to get either one of those guys and OK with Brandon Graham, but Dez White is without question my favorite prospect in this draft. I really think he's going to be a perennial All Pro receiver. With that said, I hope he's there at #12 and McClain is gone. I don't even think LB vs. WR will be a "fair" debate with this FO. If not, I'll be pretty happy with McClain as well. Win-Win.

6. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Signing Dansby makes it a much easier choice.

7. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    You mean Dez BRYANT there isnt any Dez White's in this years draft

8. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    i hope you are saying if we sign Dansby we draft Dez. even if we dont i would still draft Dez over Rolondo

9. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Its gotta be McClain if thats the choice. To me the debate will be ILB or OLB. WR will elicit a round of laughs from our warroom if suggested

10. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    If Dez is there you draft Dez Bryant.

jason8er and texanphinatic like this.
  11. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Maybe "your" war room/basement...

12. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Its Parcells, we have a better chance of drafting the beard guy than drafting a WR with our first. Come to think of it............

bigbry and jetssuck like this.
  13. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Gee...Ya' think Mel? Wow!!!! Freakin' Wow!!!! I never thought Miami would actually debate McClain/Bryant!!!! Truly amazing!!:lol:

jason8er and jetssuck like this.
  14. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Yeah.....and you'd immediately have him penciled in at LB

adamprez2003 likes this.
  15. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, if the beard guy can catch......We know he can throw.

adamprez2003 and jetssuck like this.
  16. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    beard guy meet dirty sanchez....i rest my case

17. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Sorry but if we pas on Bryant for anyone but Eric Berry then this front office is screwed up. He can take the entire offense to the next level. Short yardage, stretch the field, red zone (this guy catches TDs like few others do), providing the reliable target Henne needs to continue to succeed.

Its a simple fact, you want to succeed in the NFL you get a QB and make sure hes got talent to protect him, to throw to, and to take pressure off him. We have 2 of the 3. We need 3 of 3, and McClain aint it.

Hes not a bad player mind, and if Bryant is gone, I wouldnt mind him with the pick, but hes not the defensive solution that Bryant is to the offense.

18. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    This EXACTLY!!!
    We in here have already been saying this for a month.
    Womder which of us in here is really Kiper :shifty:
    For the record, I will be estatic if it actually comes down to this, but, I don't think we even sniff Bryant unless we move up about 5 spots or so. :shifty:

Sceeto and DeDolfan like this.
  19. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I just don't think Bryant will be there when we draft at 12. And if McClain isn't either we have to trade down to around 20. Graham would be a good pick but not at 12.

20. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I would have to go with Dez too. I haven't had the time this year to go over player in this draft, but I have had my ears open, especially when our own gurus post. From what I have gathered so far, Ro is not a "once in a blue moon" player. Infact, and I could have analyzed this wrong, but I'm gathering that there is a Ro in most drafts. Bryant in comparison IS that rare player.

21. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Neither?

22. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    man who cares who we take. If McClain and Bryant are both still on the board, clearly hell has frozen over and we have bigger problems.

SeanP likes this.
  23. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    If we're choosing between MCCCLLLLAAAIIINNNN!!!! and Dez, I'm happy.

24. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    This, for real.

If somehow both of them fall to us at #12, I'm going to be so confused I don't know what to do with myself.

The odds of Bryant staying up there till #12 is pretty darn minimal if you ask me. McClain stands a much better chance.

I'd honestly be hoping to grab an NT that early though assuming we don't have that problem solved.

25. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Put me in the camp that hopes it's McClain, assuming both are still on the board. Bryant may be a spectacular WR, but I personally feel McClain fills a more important and more glaring need. I know many here will say WTF to that, and point to a pretty average (at best) WR corp. To which I say, you're right. But, so is our LB corp. In fact, you could argue our group of LB's is a lot worse than our WR's. How many games did we lose last season due to inferior play on defense? Games we were up, big, only to collapse defensively. We showed we can score points with our O, especially with a healthy RB. But, our D couldn't stop anyone from scoring.

And, what about targeting a WR in the 2nd/3rd round (or later)? So, if we pass on Bryant, does that mean we're ignoring the need to find a big, physical play making WR? I don't think so. What about WR's like LaFell, Benn, or Thomas? And, what about Pat Turner? Are we giving up on this guy? We are if we draft Bryant IMO. I think if we draft Bryant, we're in effect saying oops, my bad on the Pat Turner pick last year. We missed, so here...we'll invest a #1 into another WR. Me, personally, I wanna see what this guy can do on the football field. Maybe he is/was a project, and he just needs time to mature into whatever he was invisioned to be when they used pick #87 on him last year.

Also, ask yourself this...does Bryant bring any baggage with him? I mean, I don't know. I'm just asking. Many WR's seem to be prima donnas anymore. Is this guy's head screwed on straight? 'Cause I think it's safe to say McClain's is. To me, that's gotta be a huge part of the decision. You want someone that wants to come in play football. Not potentially hold out for the biggest contract they think they can get.

I guess what I'm saying is I think McClain is a maybe a safer, more logical pick (albeit not the sexy pick that Bryant is). And, everything I hear about him is that he is a football player first and foremost. And, I think that's exactly what we need, now more than ever.

Just my $.02...

Tin Indian likes this.
  26. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    there is really no debate IMO..it has to be McClain, over Bryant.....however don't be surprised if they pick Dan Williams or move down.....

27. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    What about Dez signability factor?

28. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If it becomes an argument, sure. I honestly believe Parcells does not have as much influence as many think.

Case in point, Vontae Davis and Pat White.

29. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Bryant should be the obvious choice. Core position players have more impact and are harder to find. WR is a core position and ILB isn't. And while this should be obvious in a passing league, you also have Ireland's list of core positions which includes WR and not ILB. The only way McClain should even be a consideration over Bryant is if you believe he is an elite player on the Willis level. IMO he is clearly a step below as a prospect. He could still end up being great, but he has flaws compared to a Willis.

jetssuck likes this.
  30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    While I agree with you that it will be Ireland's call, I don't agree that Parcells wasn't on board with both of those selections.

Davis fits Parcells' blueprint for size and run support ability and there were reports pre draft that Parcells was "intrigued" with White.

31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I don't see Bryant even making it to 12, and if his is there, and they pick him over McClain or Williams, shame on them...Pat White and Turner will scare off the FO of picking Bryant

32. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree that he's unlikely to make it to #12 (I'd say there's about a 25% chance), but that's b/c he is a top 10 player.

I don't agree that White or Turner have any relevance to whether Bryant is picked or not.

Anonymous and jetssuck like this.
  33. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I agree 100%
    Finyank, you suggest that Bryant won't even make it to 12, but if some miracle he does, then we won't pick him?
    Sorry, either your logic is flawed, or my understanding of it is :wink2:

34. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    okay I worded it wrong, I dont see Miami taking chances on a WR in the first round....that is the most hit or miss pick besides QB..what good is a wideout if the defense is broken...you still have to stop the opposite offense..a WR IMO is the last piece to the puzzle, once u have a good defense, o-line, qb, and adequate rb's.....

now if Quan is traded for there's a difference, u are trading for a proven commodity, as opposed to taking a risk at 12...I say it over and over again 12 has to be a no doubt sure fire starter for years to come

35. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    i actually think its the other way around. I have to believe Parcells is the only guy who really wanted White.

36. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks for clarifying, this makes more sense.

37. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You are trading for a player who was a proven commodity elsewhere. There is no guarantee he would be any more productive for us than a WR taken at #12. It may be less risky to trade for Boldin, but it's not like he's a no doubt sure fire thing himself.

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  38. Philter25

Philter25 New Member

Mar 12, 2009

+1. If thats the debate, its McClain but I wouldnt discount Williams or Paul Pierre or moving down.

39. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Ireland already acknowledged that to get a #1 WR you usually have to spend a 1st round pick. And yes, it's a hit or miss position, just like QB, which has a similar success rate. But in a passing league you need WRs almost as much as QBs. WR is not the last piece of the puzzle, it's a core piece, again Ireland has already confirmed that is his belief as well.

40. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    it was said by some Sports Center guys that McClain wasnt even the best LB on there team there best LB went down early in the year