1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MH: Nolan inspires trust because of his experience

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Read the rest: HERE

2. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    If they're going to employ that style of an attacking, aggressive defense then they better make damn well sure that they have a FS that can support those CBs and cover center field. I know some of the board members were high on Clemons in last years draft, and he did show some promise, but assuming Wilson moves to his natural SS position next year and Bell get his walking papers, I'd rather not place those responsibilities solely on a 2nd year player drafted in the 5th round.

Earl Thomas, anyone? At this point, I'd rather see the team go in that direction than ILB in the first round. The only way I'd deviate from that course is if Dez Bryant is sitting there while we're on the clock.

dolfan7171 and rafael like this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    our Stable is filled with ProvenBulls in the coaching ranks

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    get us earl thomas and attack!! Attack!! Attack!!!

5. dirtywhiteboy

dirtywhiteboy Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Central Fl
    "Nolan wants to disrupt. He wants to dictate what offenses do."

now that's what i'm talking about. that makes me even more excited to see the defense next year! we have been needing this for a while!

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Pretty much agree with everything here. ILBs don't have as big of an impact as FS and #1 WR unless they are elite 3 down backers like Willis. I like McClain but I haven't heard anybody put him in that Willis class. If he is a step below Willis then we would probably be better served taking the higher impact position early and then taking a guy like Spikes in the 2nd or an Angerer or Micah Johnson in the 4th.

I also think that Dansby should be our #1 UFA target assuming the CBA is not agreed upon.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    There seems to be a misconception about CBs and attacking defenses. The Jets have by far the most aggressive, attacking defense in the league but they only rarely leave their CBs on an island. They play a lot of zone and bracket coverage with their secondary. A lot of Revis' picks have come in situations where he has over the top help which allows him to jump and undercut patterns. The media try to build him up as this guy who shuts down a side by himself, but its simply not true.

8. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    How much do you think he will garner? I really do not want Miami spending too much on a guy who will turn 29 mid-season.

I am not questioning his ability, but he is in his prime with the likelihood of some decline. Maybe not this year or next year, but a guy like that would want a long-term contract. Do you think Miami goes for something like that?

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My guess is that he'll get an offer similar to what Pace got. I think he's better than Pace but this market will be weird.

Every indication is that there will be no CBA in place by this FA period. If so, he'll be the best of the UFA list. But the final eight teams won't be allowed to participate. That leaves 24 potential suitors. You could probably eliminate the smaller market teams. And you might be able to eliminate teams that have good ILBs like the Ravens, Jets and SF, etc. I think at most there might be 6 realistic suitors. That should depress his offers a bit. It's possible that a team like Washington could have an offer that's way above anybody else's but short of that I think we'll be offering about what everybody else is. Factor in no state income tax for half of your games and his stated admiration for Parcells and I think our odds are good.

And if we don't get him then we could probably sign a guy like Foote who will be an upgrade but won't break the bank.

10. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    While Foote played admirably for the lowly Lions, I am not too excited about that proposition.

11. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I'll be happy to sign any FA LB this off season.

12. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    :lol:

djphinfan likes this.
  13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It's not a signing that will excite the masses, but it will probably have as much impact on our team's fortunes as any other ILB (outside of Dansby) that we could add.

14. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area

I really like that kind of talk. :yes: feels very dofanesque, somehow.
    I would like to add to Friend DirtyWhiteBoys statement:
    let there be blood!:deadhorse: may retribution, pain & brutality rain down upon our opponents

it is the inherent violence of the sport that attracts us. without blood there is no beauty

paraphrasing: Vicente Blasco Ibenez (the Rose Poet) referring to the bullfight

dirtywhiteboy likes this.
  15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Imho, we will move Will Allen to Safety this season and resign Nate Jones.

I like Earl Thomas, would like a Olb/Ilb or Wr at #12.

16. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Ibanez would have been a Dolfanatic

17. Phins28

Phins28 Up the Irons

Dec 4, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    Yeah I agree, they are going to move W. Allen to FS.

18. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

This is the attacking style that we have been lacking. I haven't been this psyched about a signing in years! We know our Offense can score 30+ points a game even without the big/fast/hands/#1 WR we all know we need, and w/o the pass catching TE we need. If we can improve those two spots, then all we need for players really is ILB, OLB, FS, and NT. Give Nolan some tools and we're going deep in the playoffs next year folks :up:

Also I think the biggest reason we didn't get what we all know we should have gotten from Cam Wake is Pasqualoni, I truly expect Nolan to turn Wake into a monster, just like Elvis Dmerville.

And I don't think our defensive players will lack the passion and energy that Ronnie and Ricky alluded to under Nolan.

19. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    WOW!..Very intriguing...can you tell me more about your thoughts about Will Allen to safety? Thanks

20. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Mentioned it in the Draft Forum, but let's look at the positives:

1. Paid for, no signing bonuses, no draft picks, he'll be ready to play in September

2. Can cover Te's down the field

3. offers great positional flexibility, he can play S, Cb, and Nickel

4. is a good blitzer off the corner, he creates matchup issues for offenses via the positions he can play and his man on man skills.

5. can cover slot Wr.

Downside:

1) is coming off of a ACL
    2) Never known as a good tackler
    3) inconsistent hands, W Allen is not a true ballhawk, he can come up with Int's but not each time, his 5 or so in 08 mtached his career high in the early 2000's.

Killerphins and NyPhinfan like this.
  21. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i hadnt really thought about it but well said
    putting will allen at FS at this point in his career would be a good move

22. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

I disagree. He has hands of stone and is undersized for the position.