1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins DE Jared Odrick returns to practice

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Oct 13, 2010.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...-dolphins-jared-odrick-101110,0,2469718.story

Finally!!

Phinatic425 likes this.
  2. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    :woot:

dolfan7171 and djphinfan like this.
  3. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    It concerns me that Odrick already has a plate from a college injury in the leg he just fractured. Did the medical staff miss this or did they think it wasn't a big deal? Well, since he broke the leg his first game it seems as if it is a big deal.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    It is what it is.
    Probably hundreds of college football players playing with plates somewhere or another. Quite a few more pro players than that.
    If it wasn't healed correctly, no way he's back at practice. No Way!

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I was trying to find more, it apparently was just a slight fracture: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-dolphins-odrick

Not sure how that plays into the previous break, but to bounce back in 4 weeks gives me reason to hope it was just a freak accident.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  6. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    I'm not saying it's not healed enough to play now. My point is, will the plate cause these types of small fractures? I'm a Radiation Therapist so I have access to the minds of both Ortho Dr's and Radiologists. I've brought this up to a couple of them before and they wouldn't give a sure answer, but they all said that it's possible a plate in either the tibia or fibula could actually cause a fracture especially in a contact sport like pro football.

That's my concern.

azfinfanmang, dolfan7171 and SeanP like this.
  7. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Interesting to hear some doctor's thoughts regarding the plate. Thanks for the info.

dolfan7171 and MarinePhinFan like this.
  8. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Good insight, and I appreciate that.
    Here's what I know: My wife had a couple of vertebrae fused with a plate about 9 months ago and I had an extensive talk with her surgeon, I should probably add at this point that I am actually a Mechanical Engineer by trade, so structural analysis isn't new to me, so anyways, her surgeon excplained that while there is always the threat of something near the screws breaking, its unlikely.
    The reasoning I have is that bones are actually flexible to some extent (Obviously everything has a modulus of elasticity) but bones are very flexible like soft Aluminum or wood and not brittle like Iron...this is important because it means that previous breaks (bones actually do fuse themselves back together with time.right?) Aren't subject to breaking in the same place.
    But, once again, I'm a Cad-jockey not a Doctor.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    You're correct in that bones aren't as ridged as say, hardened steel, however, after we reach adult hood they get pretty hard. They will 'flex' and they are strong as hell given the size and weight of the average adult tib/fib etc. And bones do "fuse" back together.

The thing with plates, however, is that they are held in with screws. The bone will grow around the screw, but that hole where the screw goes through will be less strong. Also, when a bone flexes it may crack near the edges of the plate or screw(s).

I'm not a Dr either, but I did work as a radiographer (x-ray tech) before my current position and I have seen many breaks around plates, screws etc. Saying that, I have seen many people with "hardware" who have never had any issues either. I have never given an x-ray to an NFL player either though. Let's hope this was just a fluke and not something that is career threatening or recurring for Odrick.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  10. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Right, its the bolted joint I started talking about and diversed.
    I saw the pictures of my wifes plate, complete with self-tapping screws....that looked to be about a .112 (#4) screw.
    One thing I can attest to is that a fixed fastener (Threaded as opposed to a through hole with a nut on the back) is stronger because the entire area is in tension from the torque on the screw pulling on th threads.
    I will admit that, especially with Aluminum, wollering can happen if there are loads perpendicular to the screw.
    One big advantage that bone would have is that it regenerates.
    -
    The thought that every bone that has a plate in it is a possible weak link is scary if you think about all the kids playing with hardware.

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    good news, if Crowder returns the defense will be complete

Miguel likes this.
  12. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Yeah, the wollering, I believe, is the biggest problem with screws. Bone will regenerate but not fast enough to repair an acute hairline fracture. It also may worsen if left undetected and get bigger. Again though, I've seen tons of people with hardware who have had no problems except maybe some aches and pains around the repair. However, none played professional football either.

Anyhow, as I wrote earlier I just hope Odrick doesn't have this recurring problem throughout his career. I also hope that the Dolphins medical staff didn't just overlook this past injury of his.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  13. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Too much analysis. Just slather some Robotussin on it.

GMJohnson and azfinfanmang like this.
  14. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Robotussin lol.

Never knew what that stuff was actually for....

Perhaps some Campho Phenique?

15. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-EBG3a7jU"]YouTube - Robitussin[/ame]

GMJohnson likes this.