1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins in Serious Need of the X Factor

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Dec 28, 2009.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I found this article on the Bleacher Report. Let me know what you think about it.

X Factor

2. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I honestly don't think Henning calls the game to allow for an X-Factor. We seem to run a very ball-control offense that eats up the clock. We don't go to the well with one player and it almost seems there is an effort to avoid making one player our go-to guy.

Bess had a big week and we barely went to him the next. Cam had a big week and then was quiet. This week Ginn had a big week but I am willing to guess we won't go his way much next week.

For all of Ginn's faults, you can't deny the guy gets open deep - yet this week was the first since the Jets game we have gone to him. I love the Wildcat - but not sure it is a "big play" formation as much as a clock-control formation at this point. The coaches preach about "chunk" yardage but rarely put our players in a position to get that yardage.

I appreciate what Henning brings to the table and it was perfect for a young team without much talent - but I think we need to get creative and find ways to get the ball into our playmakers hands.

Gitrdone and dolfan7171 like this.
  3. 34PHIIINPHAN23

34PHIIINPHAN23 The Lil Kid Knows

Dec 5, 2009
    honestly we need chad penn back because he wouldnt throw a int in 4th quarter like henne. but henne is amazing im not going to lie but with chad it was all put togehter and we were a amazing team .

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    We went 0-3 with Pennington.

dolfan7171, SICK and jetssuck like this.
  5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Henning called 40+ passing attempts what, three of the past four games? With more than fifty the past two weeks?

dolfan7171 and jetssuck like this.
  6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think the Dolphins realize this. Sparano has mentioned the need for "chunk yardage" too many times for them to be satisfied with just having a grind it out offense. I fully expect them to pursue some big play offensive types this off season.

My guess is that Brown gets re-signed and that we add at least one big target (WR/TE) by FA or trade. I also expect us to bring in at least two more targets (WR/TE) in the draft. I also wouldn't be surprised if we strongly consider CJ Spiller with our 1st pick. He's not my top choice, but I expect he'll be on the short list.

skippysphins and dolfan7171 like this.
  7. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Understood - and maybe this falls on Henne - but we don't run many plays that pick up 10+ yards or allow for many YACS. Most of the routes seem to be coming back to the QB or in front of the DB. We rarely seem to have a player coming across the field with the ability to run after the catch.

A pass play isn't necessarily a big play attempt. In fact, looking at splits from ESPN, Henne has 74% of his completions traveling under 10 yards in the air - Pennington last year had 72%.

keypusher and dolfan7171 like this.
  8. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Yup. Being down 24-6 and 27-0 will do that.

9. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

which came first, the chicken or the egg? Does Henning call the games that he calls because he doesn't have an "X Factor" or would he still call the same game if he had an "X Factor"?

IMO, Henning is calling the best game he can with the tools that he is given. Does he make mistakes? sure, we all do but that doesnt mean he doesnt know what he is doing.

PhiNomina and dolfan7171 like this.
  10. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    With a lot of it just being dink and dunk passes. They need to just open up the offense, we have playmakers, they are just too blind to not even see them. Put it on the players to make the plays, so take off the leash and let them play.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  11. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Yes, this is spot-on. I don't think we have a lot of guys who can make big plays. Brown is hurt. Ricky is 32. Ginn...well, I am not going to repeat everything that has been said about him, pro and con. Ginn and Ricky have made big plays this year, but not many.

Not sure we have anyone else who's even capable of making big plays (Hartline?).

But is Henne responsible too? I don't think so, but maybe I am not seeing something?

dolfan7171 likes this.
  12. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Northern California
    I agree with needing the X Factor. X as in the split end position. :chuckle: The Dolphins could sure use a Y factor (tight end) too.

13. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Marco I agree with you wholeheartedly on that one. X and a Y sounds good. I hope we draft or sign someone with the capability to be a factor.:up:

14. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    No ****, we also need a LB who opponents will fear.

Demeco Ryans or Dansby will would be awesome pick ups.

15. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Yeah that is true. We need some fearless LB's who will put the fear of God in offenses.:up: