1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Miami Dolphins might shun QB option with first-round pick"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dWreck, Jan 17, 2012.

1. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/17/2592477/miami-dolphins-might-shun-qb-option.html#storylink=cpy

Although I hate when the word "might" is used in media as listed in the thread title, obviously it had to be included... Interesting article, my first impression was "suprise.. suprise.." I wonder if its a subtle hint that Flynn is still an option(Moore as well obviously).... or a much later less desired QB in draft..... Also... Whats happening with Philbin for that matter?

2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    That makes me about as uneasy as the fact that we don't have a coach yet... Since Flynn is a FA though, I don't mind exploring that option if the price is right. Can't hurt

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Reality is, when Barkley decided not to declare, our options to draft a Qb dropped by 75%, as if the Rams held out for a premium price for the #2 overall, a team looking for a Qb could just deal with the Vikings or Jags and still land a Qb, as it sits now if the Rams demand excessive value for the #2 overall we may have little choice but to pass on making the trade.

Rams in effect have the #1 overall with Luck sure to be off the board.

This means we may have to go the FA route or stick with Matt Moore depending on price.

dolfan7171, gunn34, Bumrush and 2 others like this.
  4. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Although I don't see Flynn as superbly proven or anything, With his two starts you can atleast see the beginnings of a smart pocket passer who makes good split decisions, system product or not. If we can't get the trade we atleast need to dip into the FA pool for him. Being low risk/reward I don't see a reason not to. I also still would not mind Philbin coming here if it came down to him or Zimmer, but as far as all the stuff that's been going on, I don't know how Ross would approach him again if at all.

I was willing to bet they were going to grab a O lineman for first pick.... hm..

Edit: Then again, the article seems like speculation as usual.

5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Well now is about the point in time where we have to ask ourselves if those meaningless wins were worth it.

QB has become such a position of importance in this league. And with the rookie salary cap in place, trading up is going to be ridiculously costly. So we're stuck with playing the free agent game. I suspect that will work out about as well as it did for Arizona.

Aquafin and HardKoreXXX like this.
  6. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    although I agree, SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. don't start :no:

This is why i'm wondering if there is any legitimacy to this article, if it is trying to hint that they are leaning toward the FA grab for QB... or just saying **** it and putting everything in Solely Moore's hands. I don't have a huge problem with the latter, but I really like the Flynn idea.

7. JamesyEsq

JamesyEsq Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    England
    We are in football purgatory, we are not so bad that we can pick a #1 QB, but we are not good enough to win without a #1 QB.

8. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I'm for hoping that Philbin/Flynn and a revamped offense would change that. Not fist pumping for FG's can do a lot for a team I would imagine. As pad said, when Barkley didnt declare, the chance of us trying to draft a name QB dropped dramatically. So.. The only QB It looks like you wouldnt have to give up the farm for is Flynn and at the very least ... if its a TOTAL bust you have Moore, But I just don't see that happening.

And as far as paying Flynn a boatload of gold and hookers. The whole Kolb thing can make it go either way I would think. It can be looked at in a negative or positive light in comparison to what will happen to Flynn

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Speculation of course, but the trap here is "we need a Qb, Flynn is a FA=perfect fit"

Flynn could be a system Qb, meaning GB's system+talent mix matches his skills perfectly, take him somewhere else and will he play as well?

I'm doubtful, I'd prefer signing a vet FA Qb, there are several, but adding weapons to the offense via the draft and then seeing what will happen.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Perhaps, but are Flacco and Smith that much better then Matt Moore?

I'd say no, and keep in mind, the defense is as much responsible for the 6-10 record as the lack of a premium Qb, 4 blown 4th qtr leads, 5 losses by 13 pts on avg.

Offense is sexier to fans, from a objective pov the Defense is as big an issue.

11. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I mean... you have to be doubtful with his lack of starts. Ofcourse. But product of a system or not, A backup doesnt usually come in a game and set a huge franchise record blowout and beat the living **** out of a team like that, and look like a seasoned vet while you do it. As much of a fan for grabbing Flynn as I am, I am also doubtful.

But As I said I see it as more low risk/reward type gamble. Id be happy as heck with Moore AND Flynn, and drafting the weapons and protection we need. As you know our franchise has usually either refused to take the gambles (don't even need to site sources, you know what i mean) or taken the blatantly wrong ones. This could be the same kind of FA that someone else signs and we really kick ourselves over. Meanwhile. We have the chance the bring in Philbin, provided he is still going to be open to it. That would bring a part of their system here if Flynn needs it. and lord knows MIA could use a bit of GB's system.

edit: It's hard for me to say because I do like Moore, and I like what i've seen out of him despite some inconsistencies. (and I agree about what you said about our defense) but I know we have a knack for not making the right choices and them coming back to haunt us, so this being an issue on the fence with fans, i'm for it :P

12. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    If we trade down, my head will explode.

13. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Its funny how many decisions we have made, or how many we have a chance of making, that will result in heads exploding.

:cry:

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Problem is, Flynn is the hot chick, and won't come cheaply, once signed to a big money deal he will start.

That is the way the NFL works, so their is a risk in terms of the salary cap and in terms of opportunity costs, if Flynn flames out the starts he did poorly in kept a better Qb in Moore from playing.

I also think the fact the lions were shredded the next week speaks to what Flynn actually accomplished in his 2nd start, he'll want 30-40 million, still pay it?

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Trade down and take a defensive tackle, torches and pitchforks and on to Davie.

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The thing is...1) these are guys that are at or near the top of their profession, even the lower 20 players. They don't have 'roll over and die' in them. Can you imagine what it would take to get the whole 53 man squad to actually tank the season...impossible...not even an option...
    2) Without the resurgence of the team, we probably would have a different opinion of a few players...Bush and Moore right off the top, but even guys like Davis, Smith, the entire DL, Jerry, etc had much better runs in the second half of the season for various reasons. We wouldn't have known about that with any of those guys had the season played out differently. This doesn't excuse the first half of the season. What is does show is that perhaps, coaching did have something to do with the first half results vs. the second half of the season. While 6-10 is nothing to get excited about, the individual performances of many players is. We might not have seen that if we'd purposely tanked the season...

17. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Touche salesman.

It's not an easy concept for me to grasp because I obviously just want what will bring the most success. It might be a bit more risk than I assumed but I still see it as a viable option on the table and I think Philbin/Flynn should still be heavily considered and atleast evaluated by all means.... But, All-in-all if they end up keeping Moore and creating the weapons and protection around Solely HIM.. I still wouldn't be upset.

Perhaps continuity of our end-season spark plus draft/FA upgrades would be the best option... i'm starting to think... But this is really all going to come down to who we select as HC.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sure you still pay it and protect yourself with an out clause.

If there's a chance he's the next Rodgers, you pay. Until we find our franchise QB we should be trying every offseason with whatever resources we have.

19. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Julio Buckley IMO.

MikeHoncho, thisperishedmin and Fin D like this.
  20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, we can type until our fingers are worn down, this all boils down to how much risk Jeff Ireland is willing to to take on a Qb and on a Head Coach.

21. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Agreed. I hope its a good balance :P

22. Phinatic19

Phinatic19 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Time to trade up and draft a quarterback. I'm tired of all these stop gaps that wont help us in the long haul. Jeff Ireland, Stephen Ross or whomever the HC will be, needs to suck it up and trade up at ANY cost.

I don't want a vet QB being our starter, notice how I said starter and not backup. If Robert Griffen III isn't our selection in the first round, I'm done with this team.

Draft QB in 1st round and try filling our defensive needs in FA. Wouldn't hurt to get a legit #2 WR either. Hartline and Bess isn't a legit #2.

23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ok, how much are you willing to give up to go get RGIII?

24. Phinatic19

Phinatic19 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Seeing the Carson Palmer trade I'd start with two 1st round picks.

25. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    shrug

26. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    that's not enough.

27. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Hopefully you will be cheering for someone else then.
    Griffin isn't worth selling the farm for.

28. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Yet, it's too much.

29. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    it's not if you identify RG3 as "your guy".

In fact..it is never enough for a franchise QB.

30. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    wait -- he IS or ISNT?

31. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    ISN'T. Sorry. Fixed the typo.

32. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I just hope to God Ireland doesn't think that.

33. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Me and you mostly share the same ideals... thats why I stopped and was like wait WTH? Heh.

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    RGIII is not a "sure" thing. Luck is. Therefore, its worth giving up whatever it would take to get Luck. With RGIII you can't give up your ability to make a move for a QB next draft, in case he doesn't work out. Until you find your franchise QB, you need to make a move to get one every year. This year, Flynn has as much chance at being franchise as RGIII, but he doesn't handicap your chances of finding a guy next year. So you go for Flynn.

Colorado Dolfan and PSG like this.
  35. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    So, what else is new? We've shunned QB in the first round for the last 28 years.

36. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Exactly.
    I would pay Indy whatever they want for Andrew Luck.
    I would pay nothing for Robert Griffin.

37. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    We have no choice this year.
    Our little meaningless late season winning streak made that a reality.

38. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Amen

39. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I would rather us not reach for a QB. If "the" QB's are gone by the time we pick, I would rather address a different position than over-value a QB and have him bust. Move on to the next position of need and grab it, or trade down and grab other positions if we can't trade up.

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'd pay a couple of picks for RGIII....as long as they are from this draft and not next year's.

I'm all for being adventurous in obtaining the QB of the future....as long as we leave the ability open to try again the next year. Also, until we get our QB, there's no non-QB player worth trading future draft picks for. We must save our picks to make a play for a QB until we get one, then we can spend 2 firsts on a Marshall.