Miami Dolphins no longer pursuing tax rebate

54 replies

BumrushBumrushSupporterOP
May 20, 2014, 10:30 AM

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/20/4126102/dolphins-abandoning-tax-relief.html

Details of the new plan weren’t available Tuesday morning. The broad outline of the plan is that Ross would use private dollars to renovate the stadium, and Miami-Dade would then pay the team an unknown amount of money for each major event the stadium brings. Those events would include Super Bowls, World Cup soccer, and national college championship and play-off games, according to people familiar with the talks between the Dolphins and Gimenez. Miami-Dade would make the payments after the event, a source close to the team said.

If the city doesn't accept this the team may as well start look at different options. This is becoming borderline ridiculous.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
May 20, 2014, 10:31 AM

IF the city doesnt accept this, get used to the LA Dolphins.

PhinishLinePhinishLineSupporter
May 20, 2014, 10:46 AM

"SICK wrote:

IF the city doesnt accept this, get used to the LA Dolphins.

Guess I'd finally get to make that transition over to the Ravens fanclub I've been joking about these past few years.

Dolphins Football. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

May 20, 2014, 11:02 AM

Now watch Miami-Dade want free use of the stadium that they don't want to contribute to financially...

**** Miami-Dade...

gunn34gunn34New Member
May 20, 2014, 11:04 AM

Organizers tout a Super Bowl’s spending infusion, and cite studies showing the game’s local economic impact approaches $500 million.

For this reason alone, they should do it.

FameFameForum Veteran
May 20, 2014, 11:10 AM

"SICK wrote:

IF the city doesnt accept this, get used to the LA Dolphins.

The threat of LA is more valuable to the NFL than actually having a team in LA. I think if Ross were to move the team out of Miami-Dade, he would look to build a new stadium closer to home such as Palm Beach County or Orlando.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
May 20, 2014, 11:11 AM

"Fame wrote:

The threat of LA is more valuable to the NFL than actually having a team in LA. I think if Ross were to move the team out of Miami-Dade, he would look to build a new stadium closer to home such as Palm Beach County or Orlando.

I can live with either of those.

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
May 20, 2014, 11:14 AM

Palm Beach most logical place to relocate.

That said, I doubt Ross is going to be the one to move them. If they move, it will be under the next owner IMO.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
May 20, 2014, 11:15 AM

I guess it depends what the triggering mechanism is and what the payout would be, but at first blush it sounds like a reasonable deal.

You'd have to have some way to determine what percentage of the event's coming here was the stadium itself versus simply being in Miami. Right now, we have only one event, Super Bowl 50, that didn't come to Miami ostensibly because of the stadium. Other than that, we haven't lost out on any events.

Also would the payment be a flat, fixed fee, or based on the actual increased economic output, which is always inflated.

Some details need to be fleshed out, but probably as good a deal as a county could ever get on stuff like this.

vt_dolfanvt_dolfanSupporter
May 20, 2014, 11:19 AM

I wonder how much Ross dislikes Norman Braman.

I mean...think about it, Sun Life is not going to generate any revenue unless they attract events. So they city is only going to incur a fee if the Stadium is being utilized.

"The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning"
Pele

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 20, 2014, 11:24 AM

"Fame wrote:

The threat of LA is more valuable to the NFL than actually having a team in LA. I think if Ross were to move the team out of Miami-Dade, he would look to build a new stadium closer to home such as Palm Beach County or Orlando.

I'd get season tickets if they went to Orlando...Miami & Palm Beach are too damn far.

FinatikFinatikStaff
May 20, 2014, 11:24 AM

All these rich billionaires wanting everyone else to pay for the stadium. You're making a killing on overpriced tickets, concession's, merchandise and parking. Pony up the cash and pay out OF YOUR POCKET you cheap arse bastard.

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.

JWjw3102Forum Veteran
May 20, 2014, 11:40 AM

"SICK wrote:

IF the city doesnt accept this, get used to the LA Dolphins.

I wasn't aware that the voters in LA had an interest in building a new stadium for the Dolphins or any other NFL team. The fact is that LA would have had a team years ago if they were actually willing to build a new stadium, but they are not willing to do so.

I could see the Dolphins moving to another area in South Florida or even as far a way from Miami as Orlando. In regards to them moving all the way to LA to play in a stadium which is older and in need of more repairs than Sun Life stadium, it isn't going to happen.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
May 20, 2014, 11:44 AM

"Finatik wrote:

All these rich billionaires wanting everyone else to pay for the stadium. You're making a killing on overpriced tickets, concession's, merchandise and parking. Pony up the cash and pay out OF YOUR POCKET you cheap arse bastard.

Don't be a communist.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

FinatikFinatikStaff
May 20, 2014, 11:52 AM

"lmeister3 wrote:

Don't be a communist.

What? I assume this is a joke. It just isn't very funny.

BTW - I live in what is considered the LA area and everyone here will not pay for a stadium. The states so f'd up with the democrats sucking the unions off at every turn they've run it into the ground there's barely enough money to pay for the city services they're responsible to pay for as it is.

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
May 20, 2014, 11:52 AM

"Finatik wrote:

All these rich billionaires wanting everyone else to pay for the stadium. You're making a killing on overpriced tickets, concession's, merchandise and parking. Pony up the cash and pay out OF YOUR POCKET you cheap arse bastard.

He's actually doing exactly what you want him to.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
May 20, 2014, 11:53 AM

"Finatik wrote:

All these rich billionaires wanting everyone else to pay for the stadium. You're making a killing on overpriced tickets, concession's, merchandise and parking. Pony up the cash and pay out OF YOUR POCKET you cheap arse bastard.

did you even read the article, or are you just being ignorant for the sake of being ignorant?

testing

sports24/7sports24/7Supporter
May 20, 2014, 11:59 AM

"vt_dolfan wrote:

I wonder how much Ross dislikes Norman Braman.

I mean...think about it, Sun Life is not going to generate any revenue unless they attract events. So they city is only going to incur a fee if the Stadium is being utilized.

If I'm not mistaken, Braman actually had positive things to say about the last proposal even with the tax breaks. I would imagine he'd be completely on board with this and I would imagine the government will too. Can't see how this doesn't get done.

Follow me on twitter. Or don't @Adam_Vaccaro

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
May 20, 2014, 12:04 PM

"Finatik wrote:

What? I assume this is a joke. It just isn't very funny.

BTW - I live in what is considered the LA area and everyone here will not pay for a stadium. The states so f'd up with the democrats sucking the unions off at every turn they've run it into the ground there's barely enough money to pay for the city services they're responsible to pay for as it is.

This is America, bro. It's our civic duty to carry magnates, and their respective investments, on our collective back.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

gunn34gunn34New Member
May 20, 2014, 12:21 PM

I too would be come a season ticket holder if they moved to Orlando. I could only wish.

gandalfingandalfinForum Veteran
May 20, 2014, 12:33 PM

We're considering moving to the Orlando area in a few years. I like the sound of the "Orlando Dolphins". Or maybe they would just call them The "Florida Dolphins".

Deerless DiceDeerless DiceSupporter
May 20, 2014, 12:52 PM

Miami Dolphins of Orlando? Worked for the Angels

OnehondoOnehondoSupporter
May 20, 2014, 01:05 PM

Miami/Dade County doesn't want to help with a new stadium or the renovation of the existing stadium but I bet they wouldn't turn down all of the revenue a new, or renovated stadium would bring to the area. I hate to think of the Dolphins being named anything but the Miami Dolphins considering I grew up a Miami Dolphin fan and my Dad (RIP) was a huge Miami Dolphin fan. I was born and raised in Palm Beach County but never even considered the Palm Beach Dolphins.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 20, 2014, 01:07 PM

"Deerless Dice wrote:

Miami Dolphins of Orlando? Worked for the Angels

You're smoking crack. The Angels never moved to Orlando..................:whistling:

finyank13finyank13New Member
May 20, 2014, 01:18 PM

"Finatik wrote:

All these rich billionaires wanting everyone else to pay for the stadium. You're making a killing on overpriced tickets, concession's, merchandise and parking. Pony up the cash and pay out OF YOUR POCKET you cheap arse bastard.

:pity:...mehhhhhh

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod