1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins OTA's

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, May 22, 2012.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
  2. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Omar just posted a column about the QB competition .
    There is more.
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...arterback-competition-into-the-spotlight.html

dolfan7171 and SICK like this.
  3. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    There is more.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ns-ota-practice-report-052212,0,2554831.story

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As much as I like Matt Moore, I'm completely fine with Garrard being our starter, imo he is very underrated.

In fact both are underrated imo, I suspect Garrard's problem in Jax, even though he put up good numbers, is he tried to do to much with a really undermanned offense. Hartline or Bess would be #1 options in Jax when Garrard was there.

With MMoore, he is nearing that 30 start mark, where you sort of know what he is, to me he had a great 2011 and perhaps in yr #2 as the starter he grows further.

Die_Nasty, gunn34 and Tone_E like this.
  5. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I don't care who our QB is, I just want to win.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Should add Jerome Messam was in attendance, not sure if he actually participated in OTA's

I love how it is some surprise Miller is explosive..uhm yeah.

Bush/Thomas/Miller/Slaton along with Messam and Thigpen and Jonas, tough to crack into this backfield.

7. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    No way Messam practiced, he just had the surgery, right?

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Depends, he had an MCL issue in the CFL, so if he had a simple clean up he could have conceivably practiced.

Jesse Agler tweeted me back that he was off to the side.

9. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    From Omar:

Is it me or is Omar being really negative here partially unfounded? Wouldn't it be a plus that Ryan stands tall in the face of the blitz and gets if off before Dansby is there? I think it's unfair to say it was all luck.

10. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    You are following Omar on twitter, that's your first mistake right there.

Padre, Messam had a miniscus surgery. Not as big of a deal as an MCL or ACL, but still he will be out at least few weeks, IMO.

PhinishLine likes this.
  11. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Without seeing the play ourselves, we'll never know. Sure you want him to stand in there, but he's also got to get the ball out on time. My impression of what Omar said leads me to believe that if Tannehill threw that ball earlier, its a clean completion, not a play that gets deflected, and almost picked. It sounds like alot we saw with Henne, made the right decision sometimes, but just too late and it ends up an INT.

12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think Omar is being negative. He's just describing exactly what he sees. If you were watching the practice, that's probably what you would see. We knew all along Ryan Tannehill was a rookie that would probably need a little bit of time. So far today, he looks it.

Not surprising that David Garrard looks the best. Ryan Tannehill knows the offense. David Garrard knows the offense AND knows NFL defenses, not to mention his familiarity with the speed of the game. There isn't a play in the playbook that Garrard hasn't seen before, it was just called something different when he learned it. He's a consummate veteran. If he stays healthy, he'll start.

unifiedtheory and djphinfan like this.
  13. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I agree. I just have a hard time listening to Omar's evaluations.

14. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Why is that interesting?

Disgustipate likes this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Then Henne played safe all of the time, not check down safe, but intermediate safe and would not pump the ball into the endzone.

First real live action, Omark should know it is how quickly he improves that matters.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The thing Omar noted that makes me not dismiss his evaluation here is he saw the two guys taking drops side by side, which they do in some drills. When you watch that, the differences become so glaring that anyone can see them. Omar was never as good at this stuff as he believes himself to be, but the pendulum has swung the other way on him with the crowd...popular opinion seems to be he has the brain power of a turnip, and I think he's better than that.

Believe it or not I still consider the most veteran eyes of the media to belong to Armando Salguero. But Omar's getting better at seeing things.

17. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Even Omar agrees with you.His most recent tweet
    Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly RT @Tunezzz: who is the bulldog in the press room?» I'll give it to Armando. When he pulls the club out someone is getting whacked.

18. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Problem is Omar may see it and report on it and give his opinion , but that in no way makes it accurate. He knows just enough to get in trouble imo and would rather him report what someone that has ability to assess said than have him declare what happened.

19. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I Agree. I thought Garrard would win the battle as soon as we signed him and even mentioned as much in a few other threads. Long way to go however, but good to hear that he is performing well so far after missing as much football as he did.

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Joe Philbin said something interesting in his press conference. He talked about three big criteria of his for receivers. He said it's hard to tell anything about them without seeing them face press-man more, and I took it that's one of his criteria. Another is creating separation and catching the ball in man coverage particularly on the vertical, which he said is really important. The final is his just being really good at catching the football.

The middle one, particularly talking about vertical routes, had my interest piqued. You can't watch a lot of Green Bay tape without having an appreciation for just how often they threw those fades to receivers in man coverage. Jordy Nelson, James Jones and Greg Jennings were all very proficient in creating separation and catching the football on those vertical fade routes. Think of the Matt Flynn game against Detroit where he threw 6 TDs, the pass he threw to James Jones toward the end.

Immediately I can envision Brian Hartline being proficient in this area. He's great on the perimeter, gets off the press, has a great burst off the jam and creates separation, lengthy frame to go up for the ball, good concentration on both the ball and his feet so that he can toe tap...I know why the front office quietly started talking contract extension with Brian after Joe Philbin came on board.

But I'm trying to envision Miami's set of rookies doing this and I'm having trouble with imagining B.J. Cunningham being proficient in this area, even on the sluggo or double moves. Rishard Matthews I can see it a little more. The rookies that stand out in this regard would be Derek Moye and Jeff Fuller. Of course, the third of Philbin's criteria would SEEM to knock Fuller out because the guy just does not consistently catch the football.

ssmiami likes this.
  21. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    He's not as clueless as people make him out to be here... he's just arrogant.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The arrogance makes him look clueless. It does him a disservice. Wondering who Miami's pulling guard is going to be isn't necessarily clueless. It's just ignorant. Simply didn't realize that Sherman's offense doesn't make much use of pulling guards, and Philbin's offense makes use of them even less.

However, obsessively talking about the issue over and over, exaggerating the importance of the issue and labeling it the #1 issue the team has right now, to where you're asking the coach a question during the press conference, trying to look like the smartest guy in the room because while all these simpletons are arguing about the 'obvious' stuff, you're paying attention to the stuff that REALLY matters...well, that can make you look clueless.

At least Joe Philbin was nice about it.

unifiedtheory and Da 'Fins like this.
  23. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    John Jerry is running as the first-team right guard in OTAs.

The Dolphins hope Jerry can solidify the position after choosing not to re-sign veteran Vernon Carey. "John Jerry still has developmental upside and played good in some games," GM Jeff Ireland said. "We're trying to get him established." Jerry is expected to drop weight to fit Miami's new zone-blocking scheme.

gafinfan and padre31 like this.
  24. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I'll believe that one if he's there in mid August. Especially still being in the 340 range. Otherwise I'll continue to believe he's gone in final cuts.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  25. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    More than arrogant I think Omar suffers from verbal Diarrhea .He cant help himself from expressing his thoughts and for a blogger thats not such a bad thing.:pointlol:

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thing is, this offense requires a lot of mobility and athleticism from the Qb, I'm not sure MMoore has that is his tool box.

Garrard on the other hand, avg's 2-3 rushing Td's per yr and about 300 yds when he became the full time starter in jax. If his back is 100% we may have gotten a steal of a cheapy Qb FA.

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Good find CT, this is something I really hope happens for Jerry and us, but iirc, Shawn Murphy started ota's as the starting guard and he was eventually waived, it is up to JJ to make it happen or Hicks will have the job.

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    When asked if John Jerry looks any more trim than a year ago, Omar Kelly gave a pretty emphatic "NO".

I know that's one of Omar's issues that he's really looking at, because he knows that in order to start John Jerry needs to drop weight.

I would take Jerry's 1st team status at the moment with a grain of salt. Jon Martin isn't even out there yet and there are some things that will shake out once he gets out there, between he and Lydon Murtha, and also with Artis Hicks.

29. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    There's a pretty significant stretch between how Jerry has been performing, and being cut. Unless he's going to go and regress, he's a pretty solid backup based on what he's done, and he was pretty adequate filling in multiple positions last year. Not ideal, but not cut either.

30. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

With his command of the offense what he really needs is to learn the speed of the NFL and know his team mates tendencies. In my unprofessional opinion he needs reps to get that. What did Omar expect anyway? Even Marino sat out part of the season his rookie year lol

Da 'Fins likes this.
  31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Just noticed that Olivier Vernon reminds me a bit of JT if he did not have the 'stache.

Of course JT was 6-6, he is 6-2, but he does favor him imo

32. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    It's a last ditch effort for him to prove himself. Considering he can't even get his weight down I doubt we see enough consistency for them to waste anymore time after he blows it this camp.

33. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    The only "LUCK" regarding Omar, is that he still has a job

34. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We'll see, I think he hangs onto the job and Hicks replaces Garner as the utility olinemen.

Murtha likely goes to swing tackle..if he can stay healthy

35. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Speaking of Olivier, he said in his Finsiders interview that Chad Pennington was in the building. Anyone know what for?

36. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I too think JJ is having his last curtain call if his light doesn't come on.

37. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's not at all last ditch. He's not lived up to his draft status, but he's pretty far from being a likely cut. They're willing to pay a similiar player in Artis Hicks 2$ million to be a top back-up, and he doesn't have the upside. If Jerry was awful that'd be one thing, but he was at least a solid contributor at both tackle and guard last season.

38. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Visit ex-teammates? Pick up a pair of shoes he left from the lost & found? Recover his stash from his secret compartment in his locker?

What would be cool is if he were - like a couple of other former GB players - here to learn some WCO QB coaching ... Pennington would be a great QB coach and OC imo.

smahtaz likes this.
  39. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

yea wouldn't that be awesome if Tannehill had a "Don Strock" to bounce things off of?

40. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I agree with all of this, at this point in time at least.