1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins: Paul Pasqualoni discusses his departure

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Jan 27, 2010.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    What are your thoughts on this?

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...-paul-pasqualoni-discusses-his-departure.html

Bpk likes this.
  2. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    pretty much agree. he was given a tough spot. i dont think he did a terrible job considering what he had to work with but at the same time he couldve done better. I think Nolan is heads and shoulders above him however

3. Rdrunn004

Rdrunn004 Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Miami
    I think the timing was unfortunate for coach P, but I also think he could have done better. Listen injuries took a major toll on what he was able to do on defensive, coupled with the fact that you had two SS on the field at the same time and no true FS along with poor coverage LBers and he was doomed.

Mike Nolan is very interesting to me and I can't wait to see how he can develop our defense into a more aggressive and attacking D. However, Nolan does have his work cut out for him. We still need a starting caliber FS and major improvements to the LBing crop. Our D-line and our corners look good and W. Allen will provide great nickel help and veteran leadership. Hopefully, the Senior Bowl will give us an inside look at a couple of sleepers to consider in the later rounds of the draft.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Ive always liked paul and being a syracuse fan i really never understood how he was let go there because i thought he was perfect for the job. He is right though, someone has to be acountable and it had to be him. Hes in no way a bad coach, he just didnt get it done in miami.

DolfanCole and dolfan7171 like this.
  5. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Its a Business and if you Defense doesnt perform or goes down hill from your first year you are most likly going to get fired

dolfan7171 likes this.
  6. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    While the depreciative lack in coverage, particularly in regards to Wilsons acquisition, clearly presented a disasterous hurdle in itself to overcome,
    I'm sticking with a basic belief that Pasqualoni— either on behalf of his own miscalculated oversight, or Ireland's upgrades, and personnel changes over the offseason— consequently if not inadvertantly exacted a toll on the defensive chemistry that had previously existed. This, because whatever had allowed a once resilient defense to respond, adapt, and overcome significant adversity in 2008, clearly did not return with it last September, nor anytime that I can recall throughout the season.
    Compounded with injuries, and having primarily rookies to replace veterans, Pasqualoni's days may have been numbered regardless.

7. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I like Paul, but at the same time I think his defensive schemes just weren't working for the skillsets our players have.

Hopefully Nolan can gt a better grasp on these guys, and the new ones we'll bring in this year.

8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    y would he even be surprised?? you don't perform you get clipped....simple...I'm surprised Henning hasnt been off'd yet hahahah

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Our defense sucked, looooong before injuries decimated the group. Pasq is responsible and deserved to be fired. The defensive unit was absolutely horrible this year and is the sole reason we aren't in the playoffs.

There I said it. It needed to be done.

Tone_E and Eop05 like this.
  10. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    I think I would have fired a few more coaches before I let Paul go. A DC just delegates to the coaches under him as to the type of defense the head coach wants to run for each game, and Miami had assembled quite a few defensive coaches under Tuna that had little NFL experience.

Possibly our LB coaches knew the axe was going to fall and got out while the getting was good, with both taking college jobs rather than other NFL jobs. I Personally would have given Paul another years worth of draft picks to see what he could have built. But I guess now it's time to welcome the new guy and see what he can do.

11. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    This was a strange situation - rarely does a defense perform this bad and yet the fans don't turn on the coordinator all year. No one here at the board was really calling for his head. And when he got fired no one was surprised or angry.

Just a strange situation. Normally fans would be in an uproar over a defense that played as poorly as ours and we never really made it past our ILB / Wilson to blame Coach P.

12. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I like Daryl Sharpton, though he's a bit undersized for a 3-4 ILB. He makes up for it in tenacity, though. He's on the South team so we're getting a good look at him and he may go somewhere around the fourth round. I could see us going with a LB early, and again in the 4th round/5th round. Do we have a 5th round pick this year or did we trade it away? Can't remember.

13. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Also, both years our slow start had a lot to do with the secondary playing terribly until four or five games in. To me, Pasqualoni's secondaries were never ready by the end of training camp.