1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins QB John Beck vows to improve

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TotoreMexico, May 24, 2008.

1. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    I hope that JF is a horrible comparison. I cannot count how many times JF had open WRs and just could not get the ball to him. Too many to count.

2. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    To update...

For Cameron its:
    Alen 1
    Raphael
    StLouisFF

For Parcells, its still (just)
    SuncoastFinsfan.

3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Well obviously I disagree with your assessment. I spent enough time scouting to QBs to feel confident in my abilities so I stand by my assessment, but short of getting into a film room debate that won't be resolved here, I'd rather address another contention you made in your post.

The part that I do want to address is your perception that Parcells disagrees with Cam. There have been several reports (some more reliable than others) that Parcells assessment is that Beck showed a great deal of talent.

The first ones came out when Ron Wolf was invited by Parcells to the press box for the specific purpose of evaluating the talent on the roster. The game like all our games last year was horrible but reportedly Wolf gave Parcells a very positive grade on Beck's ability. Shortly after that Lee (even before Sparano) was hired to work with Beck.

After McCown was signed there was a report I didn't see, but CK did where Parcells said that Josh would be a backup quarterback and that John Beck "and someone else" would compete for the start.

Gil Brandt, another very respected talent evaluator and long time confidant of Parcells revealed on Sirius radio that Parcells had a "very high opinion" of Beck's talent and that was why he was passing on Matt Ryan. They obviously passed on Ryan.

Gil Brandt also reported after the draft that Parcells was really disappointed with missing on one player in the draft. He specifically said it was a running back taken two spots before our pick. Looking through the draft, only one running back was taken two spots ahead of one of our picks. It was Ray Rice taken two spots before the Henne pick. Rice was a guy we used one of our out of state interviews on and were reportedly very high on. If this is accurate, which is very likely considering Brandt's reputation and relationship with Parcells, then the Henne selection wasn't made out of desparation but rather b/c he was the highest ranked player left after the targeted guy we wanted was taken.

Also the fact that we passed on Henne at the beginning of round 2 when most prognostications saw him as very likely/possibly gone before our next selection implies that Parcells was very comfortable bringing in a later QB or even a FA (who would have lacked any any "potential future franchise QB" label) to compete with Beck. This paints Henne as a most talented player available pick rather than a hand-picked QB of the future pick.

And as recently as last week Cote reported that Parcells told a golfing buddy that Beck had the talent but we needed to find out if he had the balls. Obviously the hearsay aspect makes this unreliable in isolation, but taken with all the other reports it simply adds to the 'Parcells sees talent in Beck' side of the equation.

None of this includes the assessments of Ron Jaworski, Steve Young and Jeff Ireland who also rated Beck very highly.

Of course, none of this conclusively proves anything. Nothing would short of Parcells anointing Beck the starter from day 1, but since Parcells didn't even do that with Simms we all know that won't happen. But it does show that several highly respected talent evaluators believe that Beck has talent and that some people close to Parcells have been told by Parcells that Beck has talent.

So if you really wanted to delineate the sides then a more accurate breakdown would be:

Beck has talent
    Alen 1
    Rafael
    StLouisFF
    Cam Cameron
    Bill Parcells
    Gil Brandt
    Ron Wolf
    Ron Jaworski
    Steve Young
    Jeff Ireland

Beck doesn't have talent
    SuncoastFins

I'd rather not delineate though and just say we all want the best QB to start.

Bucky Goldstein and alen1 like this.
  4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    To add to that, Ireland stated when he was hired here that they had John Beck rated high on last year's draft board with the Cowboys.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Beck was very accurate last year bro. He made some tight throws despite not having any time behind the offensive line.

Your right he did look like a rookie on a bad team because he was one on a bad team. But what it seems to me is like your not trying to look at the positives. Go through that Pittsburgh game and show me how many times he did get hit and how many times he turned the ball over.

14 23 60.9 132 5.7 0 0 4 22

Those numbers above look familiar? Those are the numbers against the Steelers who at that time had the top defense. He went 14 for 23 , 132 yards, 60 completion percentage and best of all, those two ZEROS you see are touchdowns to turnovers. Now I know your going to come out with an arguement that he didn't provide any points for us and thats all that matters. When coming into that game, all he was asked to do was to manage the game or not lose it for us. I think its safe to say he did his assignment and our defense and offensive line did not. Those last three digits you see, the 4 is sacks and the 22 is the yards lost for sacks.

If Cam stayed, would Beck be annointed the starter? Would he? Cam did bench Beck in the last week for Cleo Lemon. Cameron was lost in his own world when he was coaching this team and making decisions. One of the few right decisions there were during his time was getting John Beck. As I stated earlier, Beck was not just a high praise prior to the draft by the Dolphins, there were teams who had him on TOP of their draft boards, over Jamarcus Russell who was the first overall pick, over Quinn who is praised for holding a clipboard right now. One of those teams that had Beck at the top of their QB draft board was the Cowboys who ironically had Jeff Ireland drafting for them. We all know Ireland's track record with drafting. At this point, I will take Ireland's words.

If you are seriously judging players that early, in FOUR games, with that supporting cast, something is not correct.

Some people did see that coming with Anderson, I am not saying I specifically did but he is surrounded by a VERY good offensive line, good receivers and a good runningback.

Bucky Goldstein likes this.
  6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    he needs to relax. if he can relax we'll see how good he can be. as weird as it sounds he's right on with his quote about not thinking too much but playing smart :lol:

7. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Nice try at backtracking. But you can't get by with it. The lame attempt to re-frame the debate doesn't fly. Every player in the NFL draft has talent. Ryan Leaf had talent. Andre Ware had talent. So John Beck is no different in that regard than Leaf, Klinger, and Ware. Ooops. That whistling sound you hear is your arguement going down in flames.

Support Beck all you want. Its obvious to anyone OBJECTIVELY watching that Bill Parcells is planning for life without him. Sorry to have to be the one to break that to you.

8. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Not the point, so its not relevant.

First, they didn't draft him, so whatever.

Second, the Cowboys would be great to have John Beck. They have a starting QB and need a backup. And if Beck is what he played like last year, guess what....hes a backup. And Parcells thinks so. Cameron doesnt.

So once again, you have chosen to side with Cameron and I have chosen to side with Parcells. Doesn't mean you are wrong by any stretch. You could be totally right and I could be totally out of bounds. It does seem however that in the context of Cameron (and you guys) vs Parcells (and me), credibility is on my side.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If you can show me where Parcells specifically said that he believes Beck is a backup, I'll give you credit on the bolded comment. I have yet to see Parcells say that. He HAS stated that Beck will be competing with someone for the top of the depth chart.

10. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    To your point about the Steelers, we lost that game 3-0. You want that QB? You can have him.

Again, every player gets judged. I wish we had 16 games by which to judge young Johnny. We don't. We have four. So, he gets judged on that. IMO, he showed that he has trouble taking the snap cleanly and didn't show any flashes that point to surefire stardom (ala Trent Edwards).

If anyone saw Anderson coming, it wasn't on the Browns. He didn't even start. So, whatever.

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I believe that you can judge players very early, but it takes a lot of skill to do so. Bill Walsh was reportedly able to do so after watching QBs throw a few passes in practice. It all comes down to learning what to look for. I have no idea what Walsh looked at although I know he put a great deal of emphasis on footwork.

One of the things I look for is anticipation when plays break down. Some QBs naturally (or after much experience) anticipate where the hole in the defense should be. This is what I believe is what most people call "it". This is more evident in plays that breakdown, ie. the OL loses or it's a bad play call. I look to see where the QB's head instinctively looks at the point of breakdown. Early on it doesn't matter if the play actually ends up in a sack or interception or whatever. I just want to see the QB feel where the play is supposed to go. This is much easier to do when you have a coaches' film which I no longer have access to, though. So I have to watch the player in person or wait for the fortuitous angle from the network broadcast. If I see the QB looking in the right place (anticipating) then I want to know that he can make the throw, given enough time.

In Beck's case, he showed that ability to make the right read even though the play itself was too often a colossal failure. As an example I saw an analysis where one of his ints. was a correct read and accurate throw by Beck but an incorrect read by Booker that made it look like a Beck mistake. He also clearly showed some great accuracy and touch when he was given time against Tampa (preseason) and Cincy (2nd half). A couple of those longer passes were just beautiful. However, I was more impressed by the short dump offs to the running back. Most people don't realize how hard it is to throw those accurately with good timing and the right arc (in addition to making sure it was the right read). Beck seemed incredibly natural at that. I can't wait until he's tossing those to a healthy Brown, who is one of the most natural pass catching backs I've ever seen.

Of course this is not to say that Beck was faultless. His footwork on his sets was poor. He often failed to set his feet and just muscled the passes without using any of his lower body. This is common if you are rushing things either b/c the OL failed or simply b/c you are not processing things quickly enough. That's why I was happy that Lee worked on that this off-season. It was obvious in the video highlights from camp. After watching Beck play in college I have no doubt that he can process things very quickly once he adjusts to the speed and understands the offense better. So IMO the only question is how long will it take Beck to adjust to the speed and learn the offense. Once he does that the talent he has already displayed should translate into successful plays.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

If anyone saw Anderson coming, it WAS on the Browns. He was a starter by default because of the Frye trade. If someone analyzed the Browns, they could have made a case for Anderson having the season he did.

13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I didn't back track on anything. You made a contention that was unsupported. You claimed that Bill Parcells doesn't believe Beck has talent but that is unsupported by his actions or any reports. You asked me who thought Beck had talent and I provided several prominent talent evaluators. I even provided evidence that Parcells felt this way which you didn't even address. Please provide some support for you "objective" observation beyond the signing of a QB who Parcells said would be a back up and the drafting of a late second round pick (who was clearly not our primary target) and was simply the BPA. Both of these actions would clearly have occurred on any team with only one QB on the roster (even if that guy was Peyton Manning) so any "objective' observation could not conclude that Parcells thought Beck lacked talent. So you did nothing to discredit my argument much less bring it down in flames. Your argument, on the other hand, is as of yet, based on nothing substantial.

As for the Leaf, Klinger, Ware comparisons they are invalid. And they are certainly ones I never made. They are not similar QBs to Beck. No QB analyst worth his salt would bring them up as relevant comparisons. You seem to only bring them up b/c they were failures and they had strong arms. My analysis is not based on simply having a strong arm since I have often said that a strong arm is one of the least important QB criterias. It's only important that the QB have a strong enough arm to make the throws. It is much more important that a QB can make the right reads and throw with accuracy. These are talents that Beck has already displayed.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    What do you base this on? Signing McCown and drafting Henne isn't probative so if you have nothing else than you have no credibility.

Themole, cnc66 and alen1 like this.
  15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That supports the insider reports that the Dolphins didn't question his talent but were concerned about his durability. One of the earliest reports were that Beck was put on a regimen to strengthen his legs/lower body. It appears to have paid off.

16. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    If you feel certain that you have a starter, you draft a QB in the second round...not on a 1-15 team.

Just FYI...you cannot always derive at meaning by words. You must also look at action. So, with that in mind, and Parcells action, I'll go ahead and give myself credit on the bolded comment.

17. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Romeo Crennel said before the season that he would "flip a coin" to get a starter. How is that seeing Anderson coming?

18. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Last point first...Klingler, Leaf, Ware were great comparisons. You are the one that brought up arm strength, not me. They had strong arms. They failed. So don't give me Beck's arm strength as an indicator of his future success.

Now, first of all, you are wrong about the number of QBs on the roster when Henne was drafted. We didn't only have one.

If we had Peyton Manning on the team, I doubt we draft a QB in the second round. We won't know, we can just guess.

As for what happens with Beck, we'll have to wait and see.

19. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Again, why would QB be such a priority if Parcells was certain that Beck would the starter? It wouldnt be. The fact is he is planning as if Beck won't be, and if Beck surprises him, then great.

This is quite simple. I don't know why you Beck supporters feel the need to defy logic to support him.

20. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    So far the only consistent observations you offer to criticize Beck are:
    1) That he doesn't know how to take the snap
    2) That he "plays small"

If you're willing to conclusively judge John Beck's future in the NFL on a couple of mishandled shotgun snaps during his rookie season, then maybe this conversation isn't worth pursuing.

What's more likely?
    a) That JB managed to take "college level" snaps for four years, never displaying an apparent or notable problem with something so simple, and then miraculously developes an inability to take an "NFL level" snap for no apparent reason....or
    b) That JB was nervous as a whore in church when faced with a rabid defense that was pinning its ears back and gang rushing him, all the while trying to adjust to the speed and complexity of the NFL as a ROOKIE and just plain made a typical ROOKIE mistake.

You say I'm making excuses for him by letting a mistake exactly like this go by the way side; I say you are being foolishly simplistic and hasty in condemning him based on the exact same observation.

Thus far, you have given no solid analysis of John Beck's play; only haphazard condemnations.

And. by the way, I must say, whatever patience I had with this conversation went out the window with your statement that Trent Edwards was destined for stardom. I'm not saying that he's destined for failure by any means, as we've only seen limited action, but I tell you what, if his dink and dunk routine is all you need to see before anointing someone destined for stardom, well, then get ready to call Beck a HOF after this year. Un-be-lievable!

Bucky Goldstein likes this.
  21. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

of course you will.. you don't have a darned thing to support it but biased opinion, but go ahead, we have this conversation figured out. Rafael has brought example after example.. to which you have no response that has any relevance so good luck here, looks to me like the Beck supporters are winning this debate hands down. The difference between this thread and the one in Club is striking.

Themole and alen1 like this.
  22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I know the statement Mr. Crennel made and if you looked at the talents between him and Frye, you would have saw Anderson coming. The Browns saw the talent that Anderson had over Frye which is why Frye is in Seattle holding the clipboard and not in Cleveland losing games.

23. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I didn't just bring up arm strength. I brought up several criteria. You do need a certain amount of arm strength otherwise you end up with Feidler so it's logical to mention it, but it is not the only one. Bringing up QB comparisons that share just the one criteria does nothing to support your argument. It's like me saying Beck is tall enough at 6'2" and you responding with a list of 6'2" QBs who failed. It's completely ridiculous.

Yes, we had QB Casey Bramlet on the roster but he was a non-entity. We didn't even think enough of him to let him make it to the first mini camp. So, besides Beck we had no QB on the roster that was considered to even have a shot of making the regular season roster.

So you admit that at best it's a guess that the drafting of Henne has anything to do with the team's talent assessment of Beck. It's fine for you to believe that Beck will fail but beyond your guess there is no evidence that Parcells shares your opinion. On the other hand, there is considerable evidence that Parcells believes that Beck has talent. So feel free to believe what you will about Beck but don't make unsupportable allegations that Parcells agrees with you and expect anybody to take you seriously.

Themole and alen1 like this.
  24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I saw that too and I was speechless. I still don't know how to react to his Edwards comments.

25. Vampire Baby

Vampire Baby New Member

May 5, 2008
    Man with all of the criticism that Beck has taken in his short career with the Dolphins I sure hope he comes out and just lights it up. The guy was under so much pressure as a rookie and the situation was just bad. Now he is being taught again to release the football at a higher point, the mechanics he originally had before the shoulder injury in college. He has also put on some weight which will only make him stronger. I recently saw some pictures that indicated that his throwing style has been tweeked for the good. They seemed to have elevated his throwing elbow. This could improve his release speed and height of release point. We all know Beck has a strong arm so add these corrections to the mix and his throwing should improve. I can't really comment on his footwork till we actually get a look at him.

I'm excited for John Beck. We have heard time and time again how much he wants to improve and I honestly believe this guy really wants to be a great QB in the NFL. I truly hope he has improved. For the Miami Dolphins and for John Beck

Themole likes this.
  26. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    [admin]Comment deleted. Calm down bro and talk to people like an adult.[/admin]

I said Trent Edwards showed "flashes" of being a very good QB. IOW, one could look at Trent Edwards and say, "hey, this guy might be a damn good QB in this leauge" based on ACTUAL EXPERIENCE. One cannot make that logical claim about John Beck (although that hasn't stopped any of you). Its so obvious, that for you not to understand it is, in your words, UN BE LIEVABLE. I agree.

And you say Edwards has only seen limited action? He played a hell of a lot more than Beck. And hes younger, bigger, stronger, more experienced (165 more passes in one season), and the Bills aren't bringing in other QBs to take his spot. The Bills are certain they have found their QB. We are far from it. Read this slow, and then re-read it. It will help you comprehend it. I am not saying that Trent Edwards is a HOFer. I am saying that you can make a case that he has proven he can play in this league. John Beck has not proven any such thing. Bottom line.

And I didn't give you enough info on Beck? Oh, Ok. Well, in three games he played, we didn't score a TD with him at QB. He only had one TD pass. He had three INTs. He took ten sacks. So much for great anticipation and timing.

Look, here is the deal, and I don't know how much clearer I can make this for you...seriously. We don't have any idea of what we have in John Beck. None. NOTHING we have seen from him can lead us to logically expect him to be a franchise QB. Could he surprise us? Yes, of course. Could be bomb? Absolutely.

Your guess is that he'll be a HOFer. My guess is that he'll be a Jay Fiedler type of QB. I hope like hell you are right. I really do.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  27. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    [admin] You may want to go easier on your posts. Thanks. [/admin]

Example after example? I think I dispelled his "hopes". If they weren't his (strong arm, anticipation, timing) then someone else raised them and I quickly reduced them to nonsense.

But if you have a simple answer, I'd love to hear it. Tell me the game in which you saw anything that gives you confidence that John Beck is going to be a quality starter. This is a softball that I am giving you, so you should be able to knock this out of the park.

28. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Rafael...You gotta stop with the "Parcells believes the guy has talent" nonsense. Of course the guy has talent. Hell, Josh Heupel had talent. That is a low criteria, even for the desperation of your cause.

However, I do think I see a shred of agreement. We are looking at a glass that is proportionately empty. You say that I am looking at the 9/10 empty glass and saying "this isn't ever going to be full". You may have a point.

I see you looking at the 1/10 full glass and think "its only a matter of time until this is full". I think I have a better, more compelling case than you.

I'll offer you that we both have reasons to believe. I just think the overwhelming evidence supports my reasons. But I do hope you are correct.

29. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Speechless isn't all bad. Speechless can be good. There is a famous quote that goes something like this:

"Better to be speechless and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt".

If you don't know what I am saying about Edwards, I'll try (but only once more; I am not in the educating for free business) to make you understand.

Here is the standard. Show me a game where the player (in this case, Beck or Edwards) flashed ability that would make one say, "Damn, this guy could be a stud".

I've asked some others to give me the John Beck game (Dont say anything, but its a trick question. There is no game in which John Beck flashes brilliance).

I have two examples (and can make a compelling case for two more games) with Trent Edwards.

Vs the Jets.
    22/28 234 yards 78.6% 95.8 rating

vs the Redskins.
    22/36 257 yards 61.1% 82.8 rating

In either of those games you could see a young QB that was making plays and has a chance to be really good in this league.

Take a look at John Beck vs the Jets.
    23/39 177 yards 59% 38.1 rating.

Guys, THESE are facts. There is no opinion here. This is what happened. We can spin it a hundred times this way. We can turn it a thousand times that way. But when you come back to reality, this is what happened. Its what I saw. It what Bill Parcells saw. Its what all of you (should have) seen.

I hope John Beck becomes the second coming of Steve Young. I hope he is a perennial all pro and leads us to three SBs. But right now (and read this closely, because its important), Trent Edwards looks way more like Jim Kelly than John Beck looks like Steve Young.

I don't know what else I can give you guys.

30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    You mention overwhelming evidence, but pretty much every poster has said that you haven't provided any. All you have shown is that we signed a FA whom Parcells said would be a backup and the drafting of a QB in the second round who was a fall back option. Even you admitted that you were just guessing at the motives. Is this your overwhelming evidence? Where is this "better" case you claim to have? Here is an example of what at least one poster who was not part of our discussion said about your case:

"you don't have a darned thing to support it but biased opinion, but go ahead, we have this conversation figured out. Rafael has brought example after example.. to which you have no response that has any relevance so good luck here, looks to me like the Beck supporters are winning this debate hands down."

To the best of my knowledge CNC66 has not been either a Beck supporter or detractor. I have never met him and have no connection to him beyond this board, same as you. His is an objective observation.

And Parcells and the other highly respected evaluators are not saying "he has talent like every joe who's drafted" These are evaluations saying that Beck has talent to be a potential franchise QB . And I can't agree with you that Beck is 1/10th there. He has already shown flashes of all the skills he will need. I highlighted many of them in this thread in a response to Alen1. The only thing he has to do is learn the offense and adjust to the speed of the game. How long that takes can vary from QB to QB, but it's clear that Parcells and the team believe he is on his way.

Also your bringing of Heupel makes no sense as they are incredibly dissimilar QBs. Everytime you bring up such poor comparisons it casts further doubt on your ability to analyze QBs. Better comparisons would be a Drew Brees or a Matt Hasselbeck. These are QBs with similar skill sets, styles and demeanors.

Having said that, I do agree that Trent Edwards showed flashes. I had him rated just behind Beck going into the draft. I heard the Dolphins did as well.

cnc66 and alen1 like this.
  31. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm not illiterate, I know what your saying. I just don't see Edwards as the superstar you said he is going to be.

32. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    What you're missing is actual QB analysis. Yes, an unprepared rookie QB on one of the worst teams in the league will have bad stats, but stats are not how you analyze a young QB. I spent a couple years as a scout and I don't know of a single talent evaluator worth his salt who would give your argument any validity. Good evaluators look at the skill sets of the QB regardless of whether the play was successful. They realize that too many things can cause a play to be unsuccessful.

So if all you saw were stats then you saw nothing. And there's no way that's what Parcells or Ron Wolf saw. Parcells brought in Ron Wolf ( a noted QB expert) specifically to analyze the QB position. He wanted Wolf's opinion on whether or not getting a franchise QB should be his priority. Wolf told Parcells that Beck showed enough that he may already have his franchise QB. Parcells agreed with him and that's what he told his long-time friend Gil Brandt.

33. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Good post and fair enough on all points. I will just respond to this though.

I think they were probably rated closely. As of right now, at this moment in time, using your professional judgement based on one year of NFL experience, who would you have rated higher now?

34. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Alen, I don't think you are illiterate. Lighten up...:lol:

And I don't know (anymore than anyone else) that Edwards is going to be a superstar.

I just think that he has shown some flashes that would give one a reason to think he might be. Whereas with Beck, I have seen nothing to make me think he is going to be a superstar.

And I apologize for my tone. Looking back on it, it did border on arrogance. It was not my intention. We are all Fins fans, brother. I know you are hoping for the best just as I am.

alen1 likes this.
  35. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Ok. I respect your opinion. I admittedly don't have (so I can't use) professional criteria. I just know what I see. I see the results of his play and I get a "feel" for a QB....

As I stated earlier, I would like to have you compare Beck and Edwards now, just for fun. For the record, I had Edwards rated higher than Beck coming out.

I thought the QBs, in order, were: Russell, Quinn, Kolb, Edwards, then Beck, and I forget who I had after him. I really wanted Kolb or Edwards.

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol, when I read the post, it made me frustrated because it came off arrogant like you stated but its all good brother. :up: :ffic:

37. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    How about this action. Passing on henne with the first 2nd rounder to draft a DE with a sports hernia.

That's action. Words were they didn't even think Henne would be their for their next pick, and were surprised that he was. So they passed on him not thinking he'd be there later. That's some serious restraint for a team that has to have a starter no?

Let me take you back a few years, when a certain team just went to the super bowl. Didn't need a QB in the first round but one slipped all the way to their pick, so they had to take them. At a certain point you have to value BPA over need, and that's what they did with Henne. I'm not saying Henne will turn out like that previous draft but it's an example of BPA over need.

Regarding Trent Edwards, yes Mueller came out and stated they had him ranked right behind Beck. He was frantic when Detroit might have taken Beck, even trying to trade into the first round. However Detroit traded out (Mike Martz was livid, he wanted Beck in the baddest way, he fits their system Cam and Martz apparently) and we took Beck. Trent was their next pick.

Trent did good for what he was asked to do last year, but he definitely was dink and dunk. He was 6th in the league for least vertical passes, 24.7%. Seeing that, you'd think he's be leading the league in bad decisions, nope. Another Dink and Dunker who made less bad decisions than Trent Edwards, with similar amount of vertical throws (21.3%)? Joey Harrington. They both had 7 TDs and 8 Ints.

So in the dink and dunk, Joey was better regarding bad decisions. Scary.

alen1 likes this.
  38. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I fail to see how comparing the stats of QB's who didn't play for the Dolphins, to John Beck, who played four games on the Dolphins, and had what was basically a second team NFL squad to work with due to injuries and trades, is even remotely fair. Trent Edwards had much more to work with than Beck. Can you honestly say that Beck on the Bills last year doesn't make some plays that make you say, "Damn! That guy might have what it takes to be a superstar!!" I think he would. I think if he'd had a solid receiving corps, an o-line that could block a Pee-Wee football team, and a running back not name Jesse Chatman, he could have showed you some flashes. It's ludicrous to compare Beck's stats to anyone else's. All you can do, like someone else said, is try to evaluate what his decisions were, etc. Did he make mistakes? Yes. The question is, how many of those mistakes were because of John Beck? I'd argue that most of the mistakes were because of John Beck's team and coach.

39. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My rankings wouldn't change. I'd feel pretty good about either guy going forward. The main thing that worried me about Edwards was his long injury history. He looked fragile coming out. He also didn't seem to play through injury as well as Beck. But skill wise they were pretty close. I thought Beck could play in a more diverse offenses b/c of his greater velocity, but otherwise they were similar.

40. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think 'feel' for QBs is what separates good evaluators from everybody else. We'll see how our respective 'feel' works out.

In my pre-draft ratings I had Russell and then Quinn, Beck, Edwards all in one group. They were all close enough that some days I had Quinn above Beck and some days I had Beck above Quinn. I always had Edwards third in that group though. I thought Kolb was limited and would only work in a WCO. He didn't fit our offense and either way I saw him as a step down. I would not feel comfortable going forward with him as our potential franchise QB.