1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins rev up public push for stadium work

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatic8480, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/2...#ixzz133DfqiSN

dolfan22 and djphinfan like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "3,000 additional high priced seats near the field"

Err, okay, so people who cannot afford such seating have an incentive to support this..why?

Higher ticket prices, dubious benefits for "joe average fan", how these new stadium proposals pass is beyond me.

Now "if" they were to build a new stadium, Orange Bowl II..then sure.

MikeHoncho, DolfanJake and djphinfan like this.
  3. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    The Super Bowl bring so much money to the city that they would be dumb not to pass it. One Super Bowl and this baby is paid for, believe me.

dolfan22 likes this.
  4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd doubt it, the costs, even if based on things like room taxes, are only partially covered by hosting huge events, a 2% tax on a room only pays a portion of a debt that generates interest expense every yr.

AFAIK, the effort was to cost 450 million?

5. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    I think politicians will push for it bud, SB brings tons of money. Everyone feeds from the super bowl.

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    seats closer to the field = more home field advantage.

dolfan22 likes this.
  7. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    Tell me about it, the thing I loved about my seats when I went to Green Bay was how close I was to the field. Put it to you this way, if the players farted we could smell it. The aspect of the fans being right on top of the game is seriously missing from Sun Life.

dolfan22, AbideN703 and SICK like this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sick, those are either luxury boxes or club areas, this is not for the face painters.

MikeHoncho and DolfanJake like this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We'll see, after they were scammed by that dirt bag Lurie for a new Marlins Stadium, and Lurie did not open his books, do you think Ross would open his books>?

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    those people sell those tickets, or give them away to coworkers, emplyees etc

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It does not add to a home field advantage Sick and if you notice the Cut and Paste, Mike Dee also mentioned "World Cup Soccer" which is one of the problems with the current stadium, they had to recess the seating far enough away to allow for a FIFA regulation sized field to host WC games.

So basically, not much will change on the football front save for ticket prices, the seats will be in the same area, if not further back from the field, only now Ross can hold Super Bowls and WC events..oh joy.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  12. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    With you on this Padre
    JRS was built in '88
    Marlins will separate
    Time to build the Dolphins their own stadium

13. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Failing to see how new seats at field level would be luxury boxes. The two are opposite types of seating.

And field level seats are already some of the most expensive. You want the front row at the 50 yard line? Pay up. It’s like that everywhere. Nothing unique or different about it.

Loria, not Lurie. Jeff Lurie is the owner of the Eagles.

Loria lied, but the public money that went to the Marlins’ new ballpark was allocated by a 2004 public vote that set aside funds for restoration of downtown Miami. The ballpark is part of that package. The holdup since 2004 was the location, the possibility of the state government contributing money, and how much money would be spent by all involved parties.

This is a terrible time for the Dolphins to push for public renovation funding. Huizenga spent a couple hundred million renovating the stadium before he sold the team, and the Marlins got their money because it had already been voted on in a better economy. The Dolphins are either going to have to scale back their plans (and thus the amount of money they need), fund it privately, or a mix of both.

I’ll believe that Miami will be dropped from serious Super Bowl consideration when I see the committee reject multiple bids in a row. They’re handing out Super Bowls to new stadiums, and New Giants Stadium is the most recent project. No other new stadiums are in the works, so let’s see what happens with the 2015 bidding.

SICK likes this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, JRS has been added on to and added on to, it was never really a great stadium to begin with imho, and Wayne H dumped 250 million into it prior to selling, now Ross wants another mtn of cash for yet another renovation.

by the time is all said and done, they will have paid 1 billion for a stadium that is 25 yrs old and lacks the amneties of the Jerruh's mausoleum, sooner or later they will realize that building additions on the mill house just no longer works.

Killerphins likes this.
  15. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    If a cheerleader farted, could you tell which hole it came out of?

dolphinfn3454 likes this.
  16. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Structurally it makes no sense to change the angle. You will have to punch out a lot of concrete and steel. Revisions to JRS at this point are futile.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And keep in mind, it still would not a football only stadium, Soccer would also have to have provisions made, the very thing that turned JRS into a "multi usage" stadium..only instead of Soccer, the Marlins moved in.

I wonder if that 400 million (or whatever it is) would build a new stadium?

Which bring up another point, JRS is the ONLY privately funded stadium in the NFL, Ross owns it like he owns a condo, will the taxpayers own a piece of JRS or ???

18. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Paid to who?

The avg. worker that is going to have his taxes pay for millions of dollars for a field of millionaires hired by billionaires to play a game?

Ross should fund it with the help of the big business in the area that will be the ones that really benefit from this project.

It's ridiculous for the public to continue to pay for these things when we cant fund so many other things.

steveincolorado likes this.
  19. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Yep and for that an entire new stadium could have been built.
    I don't see the logic in this at all.

20. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    There's always been a question if that is really possible to do at Joe Robbie structurally.

Also you'll notice that World Cup soccer is mentioned again. :pity:
    That is the exact reason the seats were built so far from the field to begin with. Tells me that there are NO plans to move seats closer to the field even if it was possible.

The stadium will still be a pig, just with lipstick now.

21. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Anybody want to start a movement?

OB2..

Dolphins/Canes...iam sure cane's fan's would be interested as well.

22. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

The newer seats can be made to be removed for Soccer so on an NFL game day, it COULD work. Not that I'm all for the rebuilding because I'm not. Unless they totally rebuild the inside of the stadium seating then I'm down and I'm sure it would cost almost as much as going new. BUT almost can be a ton of money...

The exterior, walkways, ramps, lounges, bars and the club level areas (not the actual seats) are all fine and can stay the same for years.

23. Black and Gold

Black and Gold New Member

Oct 19, 2010

Interesting read. I hope the FishBowl comes out well. Since they are asking for ideas and improvements to the stadium, let me offer mine. Put a large statue outside the stadium that looks like this:

[​IMG]

24. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You’re confusing the Marlins and the Dolphins again. :lol:

SICK likes this.
  25. Black and Gold

Black and Gold New Member

Oct 19, 2010

Sorry, man, this is a confusing-*** city.....Dolphins, Porpoises, Marlins, Fish Bowls, Orange Bowls, Reggie Robbie's stadium, whatever. It's almost time to line up and play football, thank God. Most NFL fan bases are kinda fun to pick on, but I feel sorry for your fan base, I really do.

26. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    pass the fees onto businesses, since they will be the ones to benefit most

27. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    The roof alone would be worth it. Sitting in the upper deck as a "Joe average fan" for a 1pm game is unbearable... especially when drinking.

Plus, the closer seats only help improve our home field advantage...

28. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Lurie ? Dan Lurie was the owner of the Philadelphia Eagles. Now the Marlins stadium is being built for Jeff LORIA who owns the Marlins. However no, I repeat NO general revenue funds are being used to pay for the Marlins stadium. No tax increase will result in the Marlisn stadium being built.

But I think its double insulting to ask the public in Miami-Dade to pay for this. We already have been subsidizing the Miami -Dolphins for over 20 years, EVERY TAX YEAR. Joe Robbie, brillaintly got a privately financed stadium to be built on land he leased from the county (meaning its public property) - literally 160 acres - for $1 a year. Yes 160 acres of land being rented by the Dolphins for $ 1 a year. How many millions of $$$ have the Dolphins been saving through the years instead of paying their fair share of property taxes ? Why haven't they been saving the money they SHOULD have paid in taxes to pay for this upgrade ?

I think the Dolphins have gotten more than their share of tax breaks and use to public tax subsidies through 23 years to pay for their own private stadium upgrades. A stadium where they have yet to ever share in any of that revenue directly to pay off that tax subsidy.

This is disgusting. Pay for it yourself Ross, or sell the team and stadium - or START PAYING YOUR FAIR SHARE OF POPERTY TAXES !

29. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    As already pointed out, those new 3,000 seats would be for corporate big wigs, would be much like the seats in Yankee Stadium behind the backstop that are always sold (for big money) and half the time are empty. They do ZERO for making the atmosphere better.

30. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    How about building a huge ketchup bottle...... that's gay as hell bro :wink2:

steveincolorado likes this.
  31. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Smugness? Really?

32. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    They need to scrap the idea of renovating the 8th(?) oldest stadium. bulldoze it and rebuild!

33. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

That's the STEEL plate in his head...

34. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Thats the kind of thinking thats killing this country
    Lets bail out the rich
    The real estate portfolio of his company is now valued in excess of $15 billion and Ross himself has a personal net worth, according to Forbes magazine, of $4.5 billion.

Yet he needs our welfare...get real

Coral Reefer likes this.
  35. Zach13

Zach13 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Miami
    I don't buy that we need a roof to attract Super Bowls.

Tampa doesn't have a roof either, neither does San Diego.

The NFL is also trying to shake down San Diego to build a new stadium for the same reason.

Are they going to eliminate Miami, Tampa and San Diego from the current SB rotation?

I doubt it.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    can we email this guy and tell him how bad we want the OB2...or more realistically, if they want to improve sun life, then it should be ALL about intimacy and crowd noise?

37. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    See here is the topic I enjoy because I am a sport management major and two of my courses this semester are facility design and sport finance. Here are the the questions I have to ask you. 1) Are you willing to pay higher tickets? If we were to build a new stadium the ticket prices would sky rocket. Lets say you want a magnificent building like Dallas, well do you realize they are the most expensive place to see a game, because it cost the average family of four between 600 and 700 hundred dollars.
    2) Will you pay a seat license? Many of these new stadiums are making people pay a seat license before they buy season tickets. So now you will have to pay a chunk of money on top of your tickets. Can you swallow that?
    3) Where will the extra 200 million come from? If I remember right it is an average of 600 million to build a new stadium. If they can barely raise 400 mil how will they get 600?
    4) This isnt a question but you`ll never see OB2. At least as a name. Naming rights can net your team around 7 mil a year. You`re going to need that to fund a large project.
    5)A multipurpose venue is big. The staples arena has events booked for 330 something days a year. The more things you can book your place for the more money you will make. Also you want to host events for out of town people, because that brings new money to the local economy

38. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I'd like to take this one step further.

PLAYERS should have to subsidize stadium cost as well.
    That's right players.

These guys get 2/3 of revenue.
    They are not employees they are partners/owners themselves.

They conduct their business in stadiums.
    Business owners pay for their offices to conduct business so these millionaires should have to subsidize their "office space cost" as well.

The fans get royally REAMED by pro sports these days.