1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins take their time in contract talks with 5 starters

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Puka-head, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/777638.html

Renaldo Hill is not playing worth 2 million, and Carey is probably going to asking for too much money but I think they will be able to close him on a long term deal for similar money to what he's making now. A lot of his "trouble" this year is coming form the big hole at RG he's covering for IMO.

Bell is WAY underpaid, pay the man, he's the soul of this defense.

Crowder is a leader and is getting better every game, remember this is his first yr in the spotlight.

I think we can improve over Goodman and we NEED to get a good early round draft pick invested in the CB position, looks like a good year for it too, I'm hoping for one or both of our second rounders. That said Goodman has earned a spot with his play, as a nickel back IF we can get someone better.

[/quote] Jeff Ireland rocks, the front office rocks, after this yr, whatever they say is gold to me. Thank you so much for bringing respect and credibility back to our Dolphins.

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

They are weighing their options and not just signing blindly. This is a great sign.

3. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Agreed. If Goodman keeps playing like he has been the past few weeks he will be back.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  4. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    This team is on the upswing they will have pick of free agents / newly released vets when the time comes to sign up. This pre-season players would take less money elsewhere to not play for the 1-15 team - now a playoff contender I guarantee they will have the shot to upgrade a lot of positions. I wouldn't be in a hurry to sign anybody on a contract year either i the chance of a great free agent pickup is also there.

Larryfinfan and Puka-head like this.
  5. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Honestly, only Bell is a true need.

Carey is next...

But Crowder I am sure Parcells and co. can find someone just as good, as well as Goodman and Hill.

gunn34 likes this.
  6. anlgp

Bell is also 31 years old. He's a great player but doesn't have as many years left as a crowder does (for example).

7. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Thanks for the article bro.:up:

Puka-head likes this.
  8. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    I agree w/ all that except Carey. He's proven he can play both ends of the line, a trait the coaches value. If he tries to get paid like a top ten LT he'll get released, but if he asks for better than average RT money w/ lower guarantees, they'll keep him around for the playoff run in the next two years. I think he'll get a five year 16-18 million w/ about 6 of that guaranteed in the first 3 yrs and options out for the team after 3 yrs. His experience next to the rookie Thomas will be worth it and that lets them draft a C and a later round RG. If they let Carey walk we'll need 3 picks for the O line and or FA's that are better than our starters. How much is a FA O-line more talented than Carey going to cost?

9. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Sparano has praised Hill by saying the DB group have been more solid and not given up anywhere near the number of big plays since he has been in the starting lineup. That sure seems to be correct from what I've seen. Games like the Denver game, our pass rush wasn't getting there and we were shutting down some prolific receivers.
    I wouldn't count him as a sure goner.

alen1 likes this.
  10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Sparano has praised Hill by saying the DB group have been more solid and not given up anywhere near the number of big plays since he has been in the starting lineup. That sure seems to be correct from what I've seen. Games like the Denver game, our pass rush wasn't getting there and we were shutting down some prolific receivers.
    I wouldn't count him as a sure goner.

11. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't know...all these guys are part of our success this year.

Crowder is in the unenviable spot of replacing Zach. Many fans have never seen us without Zach till this year...Crowder is okay...but not great, but probably keepable since they can't replace the whole LB corp in one offseason...(more than likely)...but Porter is getting up there in age, Roth is still in the 'experiment' stage...we have little to back up so I see Crowder staying...

Carey is the hard one...I think they want to keep him, but like Puka said, at a reasonable level...He's sure to command more on the open market than we'll probably want to pay him...

Bell is 31 yrs old and an integral part of this D, when healthy. I think they'll make all reasonable efforts to re-sign him, but he won't get crazy money from us or anyone with his injury history...

Goodman...simple...he stays...why ?? Not because we can't do without him, but because they'll do everything they can to replace him in the lineup and want to have him as a reliable backup, and a nickel/dime player in the secondary...But make no mistake, they'll be looking to replace him on the field...

Hill...he's interesting...he's been one of the reasons this secondary has been better than advertise yet he's likely not going to be back...he'll want to test the market and hes also 30 yrs old...

As to the draft, don't be too surprised if we go after a big OLB again this year...Porter is up in age and Roth is well....Roth...still experimenting...That could change if they decide to move Merling back to the OLB spot this coming year though...

12. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Carey has not looked good as of late, has he?

13. anlgp

gotta remember carey is playing next to what is probably our biggest threat on the oline, RG.

Puka-head and hugoguzman like this.
  14. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Statistically speaking, he's playing at the same level that he has in recent years. He's given up 3.5 sacks in 10 games and has committed just 1 holding penalty and one false start.

Also, if you look at Ronnie and Ricky's splits, they seem to be gaining big yardage on the right side.

15. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I'd like to see where we would be if Thomas had not gotten hurt.

anlgp likes this.
  16. anlgp

Me too. He'll be here next year hopefully.

17. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I'm not sold on Crowder yet. He seems to be one of the last guys to the ball unless the run right at him. In the Seattle game he made a tackle after the RB had made the first down. Something Zach never did in open spaces. I think we can find bigger, stronger, faster some place else.

18. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    I wonder if Carey would take a lesser deal to stay with his hometown team? Probably not, but just a thought.

Puka-head likes this.
  19. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    I agree. And imo Carey is one of those cases which money might not be all that matters....
    The guy is from miami, played for all losing teams we displayed since he got drafted, and now that a REAL Front Office arrives in town he'll leave? I see him accepting a little less.
    And for the reasons you've pointed I see the FO paying a little more to have him.

Puka-head likes this.