1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins Team Needs per PFW

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Jan 12, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Miami Dolphins

ORT — The Dolphins are unlikely to retain free-agent ORT Vernon Carey, and providing Chad Pennington and future starter Chad Henne with a stout bookend to 2008 No. 1 pick Jake Long would go a long in ensuring offensive potency for years to come.

ILB — With Channing Crowder likely gone via free agency, a rugged presence at inside linebacker would help fill the void in their 3-4 defense that they lost when Zach Thomas was released.

FS — Miami gave a number of players the opportunity to man the safety spot next to SS Yeremiah Bell in ’08, and none of them panned out.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/needs011209.htm

31 other teams are listed ;)

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    thanks bro!

3. anlgp

no problem.

some of these guys here have made me catch the off season bug.

HULKFish, cnc66 and SICK like this.
  4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    it feels good breaking news to other fans....we appreciate it dude...

PMZQ and anlgp like this.
  5. anlgp

question: if crowder goes via FA we don't get any compensation, correct?

6. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Where did these morons come up with the idea that we're unlikely to retain this or that players. It's just absolute random observation.

7. anlgp

It's speculation.

And just because it may or may not come true doesn't really give a reason to call them morons.

The picks are just giving you something to think about.

And besides if a team is willing to pay up a RT can get a lot of money...

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    We might after next season, it'll depend on our FA signings, Crowder's contract & playing time IIRC.

anlgp likes this.
  9. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The reporting is flawed because it suggests so-and-so player is likely to leave. Based on what? Conjecture?

Agua likes this.
  10. anlgp

Opinion.

11. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I don't see how free safety is that big of a deal. I'm actually fairly comfortable with Renaldo Hill starting next season, there are other needs that need to be addressed, IMO.

Agua likes this.
  12. kthurmus23

kthurmus23 Canada's #1 Fin Fan

Jan 5, 2008
    Regina sask Canada
    Couldnt agree more, as much as I like Hill Atogwe would be a solid and much needed upgrade.

13. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I view Hill as a stop gap player because there are more important needs to be addressed. Unfortunately not everyone can have a ball hawking free safety like Ed Reed...

14. anlgp

Did someone say gap?

15. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

quoted for truth...:couch:

16. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

no.

Or in picture form...

[​IMG]

Okay, so I just wanted an excuse to post this pic...

17. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Well they haven't made an offer to Carey (they have given him 'Beck' type praise mostly), and have only made a 'special teams' offer to Crowder.

Nobody knows, but I don't think it's that far off.

18. larfo2224

larfo2224 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Box Elder, South Dakota
    I agree with their assessment but wonder how they could forget about the interior of our offensive line. It was an evident weakness if you looked at our running game toward the end of the season. I understand that injuries played a part in that as well, but could they be looking at our roster and thinking that some of our developmental prospects at the interior will become factors.

19. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Renaldo Hill is a tough call... I think he's either a very good backup or a descent starter, just like Channing Crowder or Akin. I have complete faith in the Trifecta to get this thing done though, that's probably what they're doing now is evaluating the whole team.

I must admit too, that after seeing the old Chad Pennington show up against the Ravens that I am a little nervous about him going forward. We're going to have a really tough schedule next season and if we don't give him adequate protection I could see that happening a lot next year. I don't have a sound solution for that problem though.

20. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Let us not forget our very own Jake Scott. He was THE premier ball hawk. He was Ed Reed before Ed was. I love Ed Reed, but I don't know about best all time (yet). He is def in the conversation with Jake Scott and Ronnie Lott.

padre31 likes this.
  21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I dont know King, Hill seems to lack a great deal of awareness and was involved in alot of big plays this year. I would welcome an upgrade for sure.

22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Nobody closes on the ball like Ed Reed...and nobody does more once they get it than Ed Reed.

He's on my all time greats list.

23. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Can you say sitcom?

:up:

24. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    I wouldnt be so sure about this... I know he was somewhat inconsistent this year, but what other prospects are there right now... Maybe we extend him a 3 year deal or something. Definately nothing too long term

25. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami

Maybe Carey and Crowder aren't kept.... maybe.
    I would imagine just how high their prices rise will have a factor in it as well.

It's hard for me to believe we'll be happy to let them go though.
    With so many needs I can't see the staff being willing to actually create another hole where there are competitive players. If we were a more complete team looking to upgrade positions then I'd see it more but were clearly not that team. You can only fill so many holes in an offseason so creating more makes little sense.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  26. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    IMO this regime will look for RT alternatives for Carey .Gross may be available .However I just dont see this regime overspending especially if it involves high draft picks.

IMO its more likely they will look at someone who has flied under the radar or who has yet to reach his full potential .

27. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It makes perfect sense "if" we wish to upgrade those positions, move up from "servicible" to "upper echelon" at ILB and RT.