1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins Training Camp 2015!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008
    From their rookie profiles (via NFL Combine Player Profiles):

Delmas:

STRENGTHS Positives: Athletic build with the frame to carry additional mass. ... Active safety, unafraid to come up and support the run. ... Physical defender who flashes some explosiveness as a hitter. ... Reliable form tackler who attacks ballcarriers at their knees and wraps up securely. ... Good lateral agility to break down in space in the open field. ... Good instincts in coverage. ... Reads the quarterback and breaks on the ball. ... Smooth backpedal and appears to have at least adequate straight-line speed. ... Natural playmaker. ... Times his leaps well and can highpoint passes. ... Team captain.

Negatives: Lacks the bulk most teams prefer. ... Likes to evade blockers, rather than taking them on and shedding blocks. ... Resorts to low tackles and will, occasionally, duck his head and swipe. ... Can be more pesky than forceful as a tackler and will get dragged, at times. ... Aggressive defender; can be beaten with play-action. ... Questionable level of competition.

Aikens:

STRENGTHS Outstanding size. Good press strength. Good athletic ability. Can keep stride with receivers down the field and ride the hip pocket in man coverage. Aggressive tackler (though often shoots low) -- led the team in tackles as a senior and is unafraid to mix it up. Takes on blocks with physicality and attacks the run. Adequate production on the ball. Has gunner experience.

WEAKNESSES Is tight-hipped and lacks ideal foot speed, which creates separation in man coverage. Average instincts -- can be late to diagnose run-pass reads and locate the ball, is a tick slow to sort out routes and too easily lured by nods and fakes. Often plays into the boundary. Benefits from facing average competition. Character will require closer examination following dismissal from Illinois after a misdemeanor theft conviction.

Thought it was pretty interesting comparing them and seeing a lot of similar traits pop up. Workout numbers were similar with Aikens being a little bigger, stronger, faster and Delmas being more athletic. I liked Aikens' interception vs. the Raiders last year, so hopefully that'd be a sign of things to come.

2. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Barry Jackson ‏@flasportsbuzz 5m5 minutes ago
    With torn ACL for Delmas: Reshad Jones, Aikens, Michael Thomas now Dolphins' top 3 safeties; Thompson/Kovacs 4th/5th, D. Jones when healthy.
    8 retweets 7 favorites

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 4m4 minutes ago
    When Dolphins signed Delmas, they protected themselves for this scenario, I'm told. Delmas' 2015 salary drops by ~$1M w/ preseason IR desig.

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 3m3 minutes ago
    Source: Louis Delmas has torn ACL http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2015/08/source-louis-delmas-has-torn-

3. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    It's completely true. Both him and Wake were blowing up their o-line. I'll post the videos once I get them uploaded. Wifi here at the hotel isn't the best.

Omar Kelly though....he came up and started talking to us. Guy grabs the sharpie from my hand and signs my seatback. :lol:

I missed out on Tannehill, Wake and Suh. Not sure Suh signed anything. I got Landry, Miller, C. McCain, Reshad, Aikens among others. Might have to take Parker out of my signature. He dissed me twice today.

Bill Lazor is a really cool dude. He signed my seatback as well. Thanked us all for coming out.

I was stuck with just the defense. The offense was always on the opposite field. At one point the lines broke off and did separate drills. This was right in front of me. This was also where Suh and Wake wrecked havoc. Near the end Vernon and Oher ended up on the ground and then Vernon got up and stood over him. This caused the fight. Chris McCain threw multiple punches.

Our o-line seemed to hold their own against the Panthers in this drill. They weren't getting blown up like the Panthers O-line was.

It sucks Delmas got hurt but Aikens looks like he belongs. I think he'll beat out Michael Thomas to replace him. I'm sure we'll miss Delmas locker room presence.

The most memorable play to me was Wake's pick six. Both him and Suh broke threw the line and were heading right at Cam. Cam tried throwing but Wake jumped up and tipped it and then was still able to catch it and run it back. Lots of cheers from that one.

4. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    :sad:

5. Danzilla

Danzilla New Member

May 6, 2010
    North Carolina
    I got Wake, Tannehill, and Chris McCains signature on a mini helmet.

6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Holy ****... As sad as I am for Delmas this means our Mathis offer can go up by $1m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolfan22, 77FinFan and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  7. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
  8. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    Dawn Aponte is good or whoever put that in

Bpk likes this.
  9. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    At this rate, the videos might have to wait until I get home tomorrow night. I feel like I'm on dial up. Here's Suh lining up in the D-line drill.

http://i.imgur.com/c0YpO9k.jpg

77FinFan likes this.
  10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Not too many teams have the two best players in the league at their position right next to each other.

Kind of reminds me of Hutch and Jones for the Hawks a few years back.

If they stay healthy, havok will be made.

11. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posted this in another thread, but I think it's applicable here too:

The interesting thing with Delmas being out could be that Reshad Jones plays more in the box this year than he did last year. Jones was very impactful when playing close to the LOS and had a breakout year doing so in 2012. If Aikens or Thomas are able to play more of the coverage type safety spot, I don't think the net negative of losing Delmas will be all that noticeable.

Have to remember he, Delmas, WAS still playing last year when the D started to slide; it wasn't because he went out, the collapse had already started back in the Denver game. Matter of fact, Miami's run defense actually improved slightly after Delmas was hurt during the final few games. Just food for thought. He was around for the gashings that Denver, New York and Baltimore delivered. Well, most of Baltimore's.

dolfan22 likes this.
  12. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
  13. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    What did he say??

14. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Never really said a word. He just had this look on his face that he was annoyed fans were asking for signatures. At the end of practice I tried again, he started to walk toward me and went to reach for the pen but then stopped and just walked away.

15. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Is that Wake doing Wake things?

16. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I wouldn't take it personally. Parker is a known introvert. He likely wants nothing to do with the attention.

Bpk and Itsdahumidity like this.
  17. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Yeah, I'm not. It was just weird the way he acted. I'll forgive him if he suits up week 1.

18. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Makes it look effortless.

mcdave21 likes this.
  19. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Ya I probably am...but I'm about their demeanor, attitude, and dedication more-so than natural ability. Thomas has impressed the hell out of me to be so young and somewhat limited. And you just GOT to love Delmas...the dude is a damn walking smile...gets the guys fired up, leads dance-offs at random times...my kinda personality to have around.

But it's Thomas 1, Delmas 2. Likely going to have to replace the #2 soon :(

Bpk likes this.
  20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    well, so much wondering whether lamar kept all his speed, I just saw a flash and a half, no'one could touch him thru the traffic in the middle then he just kep pulling away, made a real nice read and cut off tackle to get it going, and he just beat everyone with his speed..feet were moving at full speed even though he was weaving thru the middle..really cool to watch.big time kinda run.

Bpk, 77FinFan and Da 'Fins like this.
  21. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Why are our beat writers even there? I feel like they haven't been tweeting any updates

22. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    I was posting a few in the Panthers/Dolphins thread in the main section.

23. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Daniel Thomas, right?

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  24. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

So the team, instead of doing the scheduled walk-throughs after the joint practice, went to the NWA movie. Philbin surprises again.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He's just mastered that quick rip...I believe he makes a run at mvp..top 5 in voting.

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Kid has very serious social issues imo..I hope he can handle everything.

27. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Dline coach this year for my sons football team. Took them for individuals last night. Brought up Cam Wake highlights. Made them watch my phone. They lined up and 3/4 of them including both my returning d-ends got down in a 4 point stance like our boy. My left DE got a strip sack during team scrimmage. They were pumped. Great times!!!!

54Fins and PhinFan1968 like this.
  28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Aaron Rogers..

guess im not the only one who understands the importance of this ELEMENT of the game...it is why I will continue to stay on ryan until he take it serious.

29. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    He's the best qb in the league by a large margin and he got there very slowly. Tannehill didn't have that luxury. He's improved every year; no reason to believe that won't continue in 2015 Deej.

dolfan22 likes this.
  30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Deej, you have to stop with the persecution complex.

Everyone believes its important to be mobile. The only arguments you get as to the level of importance you place on the ability. You act as if it is THE most important thing others don't. In fact, I bet Rodgers doesn't either.

dolfan22 likes this.
  31. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    DJ. Only positive things are allowed to be said here, we have a perfect QB who is beyond that.

Dummy.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    because its the misssing element to his game that no'one else seems to want to think is critical in him becoming a champ qb, I think it is, folks dismiss it regularly, rinse repeat...

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    so what your saying is your confident that he understands this part of the game and that its just a matter of time before it starts to come out on a regular basis.....ok..I'll be watching all season and I hope he gets whats Rogers is talking about..

when he talks about showing a defense different angles, hes talking about planting seeds...he knows its essential to him being at his best...i dont see why Ryan would be any different..

34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not agree with this statement. I think most people want him to use his legs more. I think most people who talk to you put a much bigger emphasis on his ability as a passer. I would rather him develop as a passer who then uses his legs than a guy who uses his legs and passes.

I also always thought when he became more comfortable with his passing that he would be able to reincorporate his running more. I really liked that pass to Miller today. Moved around in the pocket, bought enough time for Miller to break free and bam long play. A play that has hurt Miami defenses for years.

Fin4Ever and Fin D like this.
  35. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Wow, you must not have thought much of Marino's skill set..He could not run it a lick...but then again, he is a QB and he did not need to run it.

36. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Well, at least DJ has come along way since his post after the JETS game last year....you remember that one Deej, right? We will start to see his me legs more as well as moving pockets etc..they had to bring him up as a pocket passer first..same should have been done with.......Cam.

37. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I agree with you DJ, I think Ryan Tannehill should use his legs more, but, at the end of the day, the end results are what's more important.

If you get 300 yards, TD's and a W, who cares how you got there? I think RT is setting himself up to be a great pocket passer first and foremost, and if that gets us W's and a playoff berth, I could care less if he had zero running yards in the season.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  38. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    :no:

resnor likes this.
  39. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    DJ could as well. :shifty:

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    he's fine as a passer, once he incorporates what rogers is talking about then watch out..the question remains will he...Thats why rogers said what he did.