1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins Will Boast League’s Most Dangerous Pass Rush in 2014

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PhinFan1968, Jul 21, 2014.

1. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/...utm_medium=HUBRecirculation&utm_term=NFLMiami

Nice read...here's a little bit of it.

"With enough talent to finish in the top 10 in most statistical categories, but enough uncertainty to potentially suffer serious regression, the Dolphins’ defense, led by coordinator Kevin Coyle, is, without a doubt, a boom-or-bust unit entering training camp.

The biggest reason for optimism, no doubt, is a high-ceiling pass rush. The Dolphins’ pass rush was solid in 2013, producing the 11th-most sacks in the NFL and finishing fifth in accumulative team pass-rushing productivity by Pro Football Focus’ estimate. But it hasn’t even scratched the surface of its potential.

Led by Cameron Wake, who somehow remains one of the most underrated players in the sport, the Dolphins will terrorize opposing passers in 2014 if everything falls into place, forming the league’s most dangerous pass rush."

2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Could certainly happen. I like that people are finally seeing what I saw in Olivier Vernon when he was drafted. Hes raw but man can he get after that QB. If he can just take it up another notch we got ourselves our next stud DE. Dion being out hurts us a bit but I think all the moves the front office has made points to Miami as a team thats going to get sacks and turnovers more then having effective yardage stats. Its being designed as a bend but dont break style thats going to get after the QB. Even Earl Mitchell fits that description as well in that hes a good interior pass rusher.

On a different note a rotation of Odrick, Mitchell and Starks (in any order) kind of works against traditional thinking that you need a true "over" NT. As the league becomes more and more about the pass, the interior pass rushers have to evolve as well. Im glad we've caught on to that quicker then a lot of other teams.

djphinfan, DPlus47 and dolfan22 like this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    It's too bad we're ranked 32nd and we haven't even played a down!

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Miami is going to have to forfeit the season.

Da 'Fins and GMJohnson like this.
  5. PhinFan1968

Just pencil in that #1 draft pick and call it a year.

Da 'Fins and GMJohnson like this.
  6. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Nice read, man the season needs to start already. At least give me some training camp notes damn it!!!! 2 days, 2 days.

7. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    BTW off topic, but I just watched the NFL yearbook on the dolphins season. Man that play that Michael Thomas made in your sig picture was pure excellence. Never mind the was the biggest play at the biggest moment, the execution was perfect. Then they show Brady motioning like he had the catch, oh what a heart stopping game.

DPlus47, PhinFan1968 and 77FinFan like this.
  8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    If you look at past SB teams you most commonly see certain positions/elements that excel during those teams magical seasons.

QB
    pass rush
    Safety (basically TO differential, but most often due to a safety or safety tandem having a great season)
    pass catchers

Those four positions/elements coming together during one season are far and away the most commonly recurring denominators in teams that successfully make a championship run. And you almost never see a team make such a run without those elements. Even the '72 Dolphins which were famous for their run game had one of the most efficient pass games in history that season. I saw a correlation analysis several years ago and having a QB and pass rusher (DE or LB) were the most highly correlated positions (+90% and 80% respectively) followed by Safety and WR (>70% each) if I recall correctly. I expanded the WR category to include TE since they're often just big WRs in today's game. I think next was C at about 60%. Every other position was hit or miss. Obviously the probowl isn't proof positive of a player having a great season since there is popularity element to it, but I do believe it is indicative of which positions you need to get great production out of for a championship run. It also meshes with win probability stats that show that passing more efficiently than your opponents (either through a great pass offense or great pass defense or a combo of both) is far and away the stat most correlated with winning.

Having said all that, this Dolphin team has the talent at those critical positions to potentially put together a championship run. Tannehill has shown more than flashes of being special. A good to very good pass rush unit seems to be just scratching the surface of their potential. They have a S in Jones who played at a probowl level just two seasons ago (and personally I think Thomas has the natural instincts to be special). And Wallace and Clay are certainly capable of producing probowl seasons (technically so is Hartline). And once Pouncey gets back you could even add the fifth most correlated position. Obviously potential on paper doesn't mean anything by itself, but the potential is at least there. The biggest factor in how and whether theses elements can reach their potential is the coaching. IMO a good coach can mask OL deficiencies if they're more creative than just keeping a back in and repeating "execute better". We saw that most recently with Seattle last season who's OL was as bad or worse than Miami's most of the year but were hidden/protected through read options, rollouts and such. Fortunately, Lazor brings hope on offense and Coyle does the same on defense.

In summary, while none of this guarantees anything, the elements are there. It certainly wouldn't be surprising for Tannehill, the pass rush, Reshad Jones and Wallace or Clay to have probowl level years. It also wouldn't be surprising if Lazor were to introduce some of the Philly offense to great effect or for Coyle to bring the D back to what we saw two seasons ago or even a few times last season. Some may say that hoping for all of those to happen is wishful thinking and it may be, but reality is that it happens every year for some team. Often for teams with less obvious talent or reason for optimism in all of those elements. Most often it's some team that gets on a run at the right time with an efficient passing offense and a killer pass rush. IMO the talent particularly at QB/pass catchers, DL and in Lazor would hardly make such a run a stretch. So while there are always reasons for pessimism, there are also reasons for optimism. Which side you fall on probably says more about you than the team.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I like Miami's interior pass rush with Odrick and Starks, and Cameron Wake remains one of the very best in football so they should have a good rush.

There's something missing with respect to Earl Mitchell's pass rush.

We'll see if Olivier Vernon develops further than he did in 2013 but in 2013 he was not a very good pass rusher overall. He racked up sacks randomly, a lot of them cleanup sacks, but didn't pressure the passer with high efficiency.

Dion Jordan is suspended 4 games and that will impact him especially with this coaching staff that seems all too willing to put him on a shelf for any excuse. I would say Dion will have 4 games he's missing and another 4 games where his progress/playing time is disrupted.

Bpk, DPlus47 and Da 'Fins like this.
  10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Maybe Mitchell, Starks, and Odrick would be better off trying to beat people to the spot, I haven isolated Solai's game last year and all his reps, but man did we stink against the rush, maybe just holding your ground isn't enough against offenses like New England and the bills, I'm really not sure what Mitchell lacks in Paul Solai's skills will be a detriment to us considering he makes up for it with skills that Solai doesn't have..

Considering the abuse we took against the run, I have to say I'm ready for true 4 3 players..

11. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Expand please. Or expound, whichever you prefer.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He's athletic in the extreme for his position, but he doesn't get penetration even when put in position to do so. Kevin Coyle may have more luck by getting him to stunt to the outside which would tend to maximize the value of his athleticism.

77FinFan likes this.
  13. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    I've been saying this all along. OV is an effort player, which is good to have on any team but is he a dynamic pass rusher? No longer will he be able move in anonymity on the field. It can be argued that the game planning for him started late last season.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    There were times he really showed something. A few times against Joe Thomas he rushed really well although was blocked well enough not to get the sack, and definitely on one sack he had against D.J. Fluker he had a really textbook rush.

But those are only coming in flashes. Most other times it's the kind of "effort" and chase stuff you're referring to. And his pressure rate is just not high regardless of the sack count. Pressure rate is a MUCH better indicator of things to come than pure sack count or sack rate. Sack counts/rates are hugely subject to sample issues. Pressure rates are much more stable and predictive of future success.

His pressure rate just wasn't high. It was about 9.0%. For example, Cameron Wake's is nearly twice that.

Bpk, Da 'Fins and DPlus47 like this.
  15. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hopefully we'll see him rush over the guard more. I know you were banging that drum early and often with regard to OV. Erik Frenz on Bleacher Report (AFC East Blog) had a nice breakdown of OV rushing over the guard spots. Most of it was surrounding the first Jets game last year, but I do recall that being a more prominent role for him later in the season.

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    What is it about OV that stands out to you as a player who cannot increase his pass rush efficiency?

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    They stopped doing it for some reason. Don't know why. They had been having success with it. And yes I've been banging the drum for that ever since he came out. Despite some people trying to pretend I've always hated OV and therefore any view I express is just me trying to be right, I had a positive evaluation on OV coming out of Miami. But I did see him as being a multiple-style player that would be most interesting from a pass rush standpoint when reduced inside to face guards, and otherwise should be used like a Jarret Johnson strong side run stopper lining up primarily over the tight end.

18. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

During the early and middle part of last season, Vernon played well and he had the majority of his sacks during this period of the season . Toward the end of the season, he basically disappeared and he only had one sack over the last four weeks of the season.

In fact he had five of his sacks the first time he played against the Patriots, Bills ,and Jets. This included 3 sacks against the Jets in their first meeting. Over the last three games which were against these same three teams, he had zero sacks and played badly, especially in the Jets and Bills games.

I think Vernon was merely a product of the fact teams were so concerned with Wake early last season that Vernon didn't get much attention and he played against just one blocker on most plays. Once Wake was injured and teams became more aware of Vernon, his play on the field declined quite a bit.

Hopefully he can come back and play at a more consistent level throughout the entire 2014 season, but I think he will probably end up being just an average DE in the NFL over the coming years. I would not be surprised if his nine and a half sacks in 2013 end up being his highest season sack total during his entire NFL playing career.

Itsdahumidity likes this.
  19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Again, pure SACK counts are all but meaningless to me. Studies showing when the sacks occur aren't going to mean much to me. Sometimes they come in waves or bunches, sometimes they come consistently. When they come, what part of the season in which they come, and how often they come is all just a RANDOM function of a player's pressure rate. The pressure rate is what tends to be more stable and sticky.

That said, you are correct that his pressure rate dropped off the planet in the final four games. He went from a 10.8% pressure rate in the first 12 games to a 3.8% pressure rate in the final 4 games. He was terrible.

20. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Haven't had a chance to look at stats, but considering the few times Jordan was in the game, his pressure % seemed much higher. Of course, that is skewed a bit by Jordan being in mostly on obvious passing downs. But, I think he is a better pass rusher and will be a more consistent one than Vernon. Though, I do like Vernon on the team.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Jordan was 12%

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Higher than Vernon's, but still not high. Jordan was at 11.7%. High would be in the 13's.

Of course Jordan was just a rookie. That counts for something. When OV was a rookie his pressure percentage was a lousy 7.3%. He made improvement but he's still not an efficient pass rusher. His sack totals just make him look that way.

23. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    The second I see evidence we will in fact be running a Philly style up tempo offense and Tannehill and a few other key pieces makes it through most of preseason unscathed I'll be placing a bet on the Dolphins winning the AFC championship game at 19-1 odds.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  24. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    The more specific trend you see in the Champ teams is star franchise players at impact positions (QB, WR, RB, CB, S, DE, DT). Guys who are around the top 5 at their position (Sherman/Thomas/Chancellor/Harvin/Lynch).

The Dolphins currently have just one star in Wake. That's a problem. The pass rush will be awesome if Jordan emerges as a game changer. OV is a solid player, but we have enough solid players. Good starters will get you a few wins but they won't get you over the hump into the postseason towards title contention. Jordan has more star potential on the edge than OV, imo, and it's studs that move the needs on a team and make a unit great.

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    harvin? He isn't close to top 5 in his position.

26. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Interesting. No correlation with running backs/run game?

27. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    There are five slot receivers/playmakers you'd take over a healthy Percy Harvin? He's one of the most dynamic players and athletes in the League. Just look at what Seattle paid for him: first rounder + third rounder + 11mill per year. Before he got hurt he was considered an MVP candidate during his last season in Minnesota.

Anyways, the actual point of my post is that championship teams have elite players at important spots. We need more than just 32 year-old Wake, and I think Jordan has that potential to become a featured splash type of player.

28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I wouldn't agree that it is a more specific trend or that CB and DT should be added to the list. For years people have been telling me that CB is an impact position, but I don't find any long term evidence of it. The championship teams do not have a high correlation of probowl CBs. I can't recall the last time a team signed the top CB and followed that up with a significant improvement the following year. In fact, last time I did a long term analysis of it the team that had signed the top CB had a worse pass defense the majority of the time. :confused2: I also don't see much correlation with the RB position and winning so I wouldn't call that high impact either.

As for the Dolphins, Wake is clearly top 5 at his position. I would also say that Grimes is top 5 although I wouldn't say CB is an impact position. Going into last year most had Reshad Jones and Pouncey as a top 5 players at their position. I don't believe you specifically need top 5. IMO what you need is very good play in that one season at impact positions. By 2009 nobody would have considered Safety D. Sharper a top 5 player, but he had a great season that year. You actually see that a lot where a player isn't generally considered a top 5 guy but has a great year for a SB team.

29. PhinFan1968

We can only hope this pattern holds true with the Patsies.

DPlus47 and rafael like this.
  30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm not scared of anything on the pats except Brady, Revis, and Gronk...that's it..

We must get to him, cannot sit back in zones, must press small receivers, and bring the heat...playing zone against Brady is like waiting to get tortured.

31. PhinFan1968

Meaning Revis and his effect on the secondary.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He sure didnt look like a 12 when he rushed, which might be a good thing cause when he actually develops a couple other moves then what he has he might get in that 13 percent, it's only 1 percent,

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    So if you have 3 first round draft picks, like the jets had one year, what positions are you looking at?

Lets say your a new franchise and you already have your Qb.

?

34. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I don't think it's fair to put the run problems on Soliai or to isolate him thinking it will tell you much because he will look bad and you'll blame him when a big part of the REAL reason was a putrid offense.

Big NTs get tired when Offenses cannot keep the ball and put that big NT on the field for long stretches with 3 and outs in between.

29 Miami 28:27

That was our AVG time of possession last season. Ranked 29th in the league.

Now in the last three games (which were ****ing putrid) we were even WORSE than that at 26:34 (which would be good for 31st in the league as an average).

So, yeah, you could even watch a Pro Bowl NT (which Soliai isn't, imo, but he *is* an above average NT) and isolate them on film and they'd look like **** if their offense never held the ball so they could rest.

DPlus47 likes this.
  35. Bpk

DE, WR, then it depends if there is a VERY rare player at MLB, DT or Safety.

Tempted at LT but just don't feel like you have to go first round, and impact is watered down on OL where one talented guy is useless unless all five guys protect... whereas one great DL can still get to the QB even if the other three fail to do so.

36. Bpk

Between Revis and Gronk there's no way they play healthy and up to par all year. Though pairing Belichick w Revis is scary.

37. Bpk

Also, Jordan could have even higher numbers if he WEREN'T special enough to drop and cover as much as he could be asked to. If he were less capable dropping back, or in a two point stance you'd see him rush even more and have even higher pressure numbers.

Ironically, the versatility which is his most impressive trait also indirectly makes him seem less productive when we isolate just one stat rather than what he allows the whole defense to do because he is on the field.

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Does being a two down player not contradict the point your making about TOP ?

39. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Obviously it would depend on the players available, but assuming that you had equally rated players at every position, my top 3 would DE, S and WR.

djphinfan likes this.
  40. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    It's still crazy thinking he'll probably spend the rest of his life in prison. We truly know no one.

Actually they had four and failed in terms of finding a "great" player.

rafael likes this.