Miami in more RB rumors

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fishhead, Aug 21, 2023.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016

I really don’t think they’re giving up a first for him, which is what the Colts are rumored to be asking.

2. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the Dolphins are expected to explore a deal for Taylor. Indianapolis granted Taylor permission to seek a trade on Monday, according to multiple reports. The Dolphins reportedly had an interest in running back Dalvin Cook before he signed with the Jets. But Miami, who has several effective RBs, was not interested enough to outbid New York.

Jackson notes that he’s not sure what the Dolphins would offer the Colts for Taylor. But Miami does like that Taylor is young and in his prime. Presumably, Taylor would want a new contract from any team he’s traded to. He’s about to enter the last year of his rookie deal after the Colts selected him in the second round of the 2020 draft.

Dealing with an ankle injury last season, Taylor rushed for 861 yards with four touchdowns in 11 games. Back in 2021, Taylor was a first-team All-Pro when he led the league with 1,811 rushing yards and 18 rushing touchdowns along with 2,171 yards from scrimmage and 20 total TDs.

ExplosionsInDaSky likes this.
  3. Wilkimania

Wilkimania Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I mean of course you explore a deal, teams let good players go at bargain prices all the time so it's just your due diligence to ring up and find out what the Colts would want for one of the best RBs in the league. Doesn't mean you have to pay it.

resnor likes this.
  4. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    The report that the Dolphins might trade for running back Jonathan Taylor didn’t faze Miami’s current starting running back, Raheem Mostert. Mostert said today that he’s only focused on what he can do to help the team, not any other potential moves the team might make.

I’m not worried about another man coming in. I’m worried about perfecting my craft,” Mostert said, via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. Mostert said he has good communications with head coach Mike McDaniel and thinks the team will tell him if there are serious trade talks with the Colts for Taylor.

But for now, Mostert is the No. 1 running back on the depth chart, and he’s not concerned about that changing.

5. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    If Grier had just made the right pick back in 2020, we could have had JT without having to pull a trade and give up draft capital now. We could have drafted Taylor but instead Grier went with Iggy.

Tin Indian, M1NDCRlME and resnor like this.
  6. Fishhead

Sep 29, 2016
    I’d see if Indy would take a 2024 2nd and a 2025 fifth, then see if JT would be ok with doubling his current salary to $8.6 million. He is an elite player, but I wouldn’t go higher in either aspect of acquiring him.

7. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    That was a total Flores pick.

Tin Indian likes this.
  8. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I would give the Colts a conditional second that turns into a first if Taylor hits certain numbers.. which may be hard for him to hit considering the other weapons we got in waddle and hill.

and yes, i would pay Taylor a contract he deserves. Something like 5 years 60 million, 30 million guaranteed. Thats slightly higher rthan Henry got on his big contract (4 years 50 million). Taylor is better than a lot of these tight ends around the league that got a 50 million dollar contract and yet barely produce

though i wont pretend to know what our cap situation s

9. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's really mindboggling to me how the Colts don't want to pay Jonathan Taylor what he's worth but won't part with him unless they get a first round draft pick for him.

10. Fishhead

Sep 29, 2016
    Consider who the owner is. Now that Snyder is out in Washington, Irsay takes the crown as biggest buffoon in the owners’ club.

firedan likes this.
  11. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Tua
    Jackson
    Iggy

Herbert
    Jefferson
    Taylor

Holy poop!

The G Man likes this.
  12. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Hindsight is 20/20 but in todays strategy of building a team, I’m not going to fault Grier.

No one places importance on the running back anymore. The entire league is pass happy so you either draft receivers to catch passes, or defenders to break them up.

Stupid, but NFL fact of life.

If the league places importance on running backs like they used to, We could very well have drafted Taylor.

13. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    From an article by Barry Jackson:

One other nugget on the team’s running back pursuit: Taylor and Dalvin Cook aren’t the only running backs that Miami made calls about in recent weeks. A source with another team insisted the Dolphins also inquired about 2022 NFL rushing leader Josh Jacobs, who has yet to sign a $10.1 million franchise tag with the Raiders. Jacobs would need to sign the tag to be traded, and talks between Miami and Las Vegas never advanced. Jacobs ran for a league-high 1,653 yards last season.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article278508154.html#storylink=cpy

14. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    OMG, if that doesn't capsulize Grier's incompetence I don't know what does!!

Can you imagine???

hitman8 and Sceeto like this.
  15. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    The Noah and Jackson picks are just real real bad but I hate the hindsight "what if they had the perfect draft" takes. You can do that with every team and every draft ever. People here have even tried that with the 2021 draft which just shows how ridiculous that is.

16. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Why didn't every other team draft those guys if it was so easy to see? Weird how that happened that no one else drafted all 3.

17. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Maybe because every other team didn't have (3) 1st round picks to work with that year?

dolphin25, hitman8 and Sceeto like this.
  18. Fishhead

Sep 29, 2016
    Everyone passed on Taylor (at least) once, and half the league let Jefferson pass them by.

19. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    There is zero evidence for this, and Grier has final say on all picks. He is responsible, and it wouldn't be the first time he picked a first round bust, he has several of those under his belt.

20. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    Sure, but they didn't pass them by for complete busts like Jackson and Iggy.

Sceeto likes this.
  21. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    While I agree with the overall sentiment of we should have probably drafted a talented running back over the last half-decade, a good quarter of that 2020 first round were busts, some picked by respectable GMs (Javon Kinlaw, Jalen Reagor) so this is hyperbole.

22. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    There were about seven 1st round picks in the 2020 draft who you can consider complete busts and we picked 2 of them. Stop defending Grier, he wasted the draft capital we had that year.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
    Unlucky 13, Sceeto and The G Man like this.
  23. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    The Dolphins are one of the teams with reported interest in running back Jonathan Taylor, who was granted permission to seek a trade earlier this week.

Head coach Mike McDaniel was asked about that interest during his Thursday press conference and successfully avoided tampering with his answer, at first joking that his two-year-old daughter “just tweeted a report.”

“I’ve said this before: I’m not going to speak about other players,” McDaniel said. “And how many times do I have to explain, Chris Grier’s job is to work. He works at it a lot and keeps me abreast when they’re real. Generally when things are real, I don’t have questions about them. There’s been kind of a consistent pattern where we’ve talked about all sorts of players.

“So reports, whatever, that’s kind of the — it seems like the noise that is around the business.”

McDaniel added that he’d be doing a “terrible job” as a head coach if he were focused on the rumors instead of the 90 players he’s leading in Thursday’s practice.

“I’m very much just concerned about all those guys and anything less — if I’m worried about whatever hasn’t come to my desk yet, I think that’s an opportunity cost that I’m not willing to pay for all those players that I’m excited to go coach today,” McDaniel said.

But, it’s been clear that Miami has been looking to add to its run game. The club was interested in Dalvin Cook before he signed with the Jets and reportedly checked in with the Raiders about Josh Jacobs. While the Dolphins have a solid stable of backs, McDaniel noted he’s always valued the position.

“Let’s say on an average season with 17 games now, you have 1,200 plays on each side of the ball. And how many of those plays are the running backs touching it? It’s a valuable position that you have to have depth at,” McDaniel said. “It’s a big portion of your touches and you understand that in that process, that you have to have a good solid group for the team and for your offense for the whole year.

“And I got my feet wet, really, in NFL game planning in the run game. So it’s near and dear to my heart.”

If the Dolphins were to add Taylor, that could take the offense to another level. But Miami will have to examine if the cost of acquiring Taylor plus the cost of making him happy with a new, lucrative contract is worth it.

24. Fishhead

Sep 29, 2016
    According to ESPN, 6 teams called the Colts and two have made offers, one of which is Miami.

25. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

I've been against spending big money on a RB but honestly if we can get the Colts to take the Ogbah and Cedric Wilson contracts and a 2nd or 3rd round pick I'd do it. That would save $22M cap space this season, enough to get Taylor a new contract (maybe Wilkins too) and have plenty to roll over to next season.

I don't think Ogbah fits this defence that well and Wilson is probably going to be WR4/5 as I can see Berrios getting quite a lot of snaps in the slot. Getting out of their contracts while picking up a top 5 RB who is only 24 seems like a good deal to me.

Finatik likes this.
  26. M1NDCRlME

M1NDCRlME Fear The Spear

Oct 26, 2009
    Orlando
    A friend just sent this to me:

Breaking News
    I hesitate to say this because I am not an insider, but I have a VERY RELIABLE contact that has informed me that the #Dolphins Medical Staff is in Indy giving a Physical to Jonathan Taylor... The compensation, as told to me, is "apparently" conditional 2nd & 7th Rnd Picks! #FinsUp    @MIASportsMusic

27. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    [​IMG]

28. Fishhead

Sep 29, 2016
    What if they offered up one of the backs on our roster already and decreased the value of the picks being sent to Indy? If they do get Taylor, then at least one of our backs is expendable.

Mostert or Wilson and a fourth rounder, for example?

29. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Definitely some missed opportunity in that draft but he is also the same GM that did this:

[​IMG]

30. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Don't you know you're only supposed to focus on the bad?

KeyFin, GARDENHEAD and Striking like this.
  31. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Still don't understand why anyone would approve a conditional draft pick trade. Basically saying we give you a floor and if the player performs well in our system, under our coaches, with our team, you get to benefit from our success. That's bananas.

32. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    But, F Grier, am I right?

33. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Built in injury protection for the team gaining the player.

34. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    There are people in this thread trashing Grier that also trashed Grier for that trade btw. Particularly the drafting Waddle part.

35. M1NDCRlME

M1NDCRlME Fear The Spear

Oct 26, 2009
    Orlando
    new update (if the rumors are to be believed):

The #Dolphins & #Colts have the framework of the Jonathan Taylor deal done, per source.
    The holdup is the new contract agreement and the amount of guaranteed money. The Dolphins and Taylor have yet to find an agreeable number.

KeyFin and The G Man like this.
  36. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    It's established Grier is great at pulling trades, but terrible at drafting.

dolphin25 likes this.
  37. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    We are also in win now mode with all of these big contracts.

dolphin25 likes this.
  38. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    not without securing and fixing the oline I don’t care how many free agents we sign without a dominating oline we are not winning the Super Bowl. IMHO this has been the number one problem for years and Grier seems incapable or fixing it outside picking old often injured players. We are in dire need of three stud oline players. LT is old and injured to much, center is average at best and right guard need upgrading.

dolphin25, Sceeto and The G Man like this.
  39. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yep. I’ve been ranting about that all off-season. The neglect of the OL is shocking, especially considering Tua’s history of injuries. The concisions?? …and nada?
    Crazy.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  40. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    My sister just recently bought a wilkins jersey.. now watch him be involved in the taylor trade talks

dolphin25 likes this.