1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Linked to Larry Foote?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by slickj101, Mar 4, 2010.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    -PBP

I sure as hell hope not. We don't need any more older LBs.

And with guys like Dansby out there, signing Foote would be like a slap in the face.

dolfan7171 and The Rev like this.
  2. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Larry Foote was born June 12th 1980.
    Karlos Dansby was born Nov. 3 1981.

Not much of an age difference.
    Now the talent difference certainly matters.

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    ssssssssssssssssssssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww

Colmax likes this.
  4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I thought Foote was a little older, he certainly plays like it.

5. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Don't know if it'll happen or not..
    But I tend to think that many Dolphin fans have been setting themselves up for big disappointment.
    I'm just as guilty as anyone at daring to hope that we sign Dansby or trade for Boldin, etc. However if we do it'll fly in the face of what we've seen this FO do in the past.
    Last year there were several big name CBs out on the market. And they all signed elsewhere. Who did we sign? Eric Green on the cheap, who we cut before the season started.
    Furthermore, we often hear just how much the FO values draft picks.
    Dansby and Boldin are two players that I'm crossing my fingers we sign. But I'm keeping my feet on the ground. IMO it's more likely that we'll sign a couple of cheaper options at LB and look for more through the draft.

Agua likes this.
  6. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Northern California
    From Pro Football Focus and their look at the AFC East.

Foote could be a fallback if Snyder outbids everyone for Dansby, unless there are Otogwe types (high upside/low compensation) that become available at the linebacker position.

7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    That's true. But our team is also much closer to being a contender than we were last season.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think that we will land a big name that takes our team to the next level.

Also, don't forget that we threw a ton of money at Calvin Pace as well. From what I've seen, we'll spend the money if we feel the talent/need is there.

I'd say Dansby is the most realistic move we make, as opposed to giving up picks for Boldin.

8. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    can you provide some examples of why you've reached this conclusion?

9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    and they will be in third place again with no realistic shot of winning anything playing meaningless November games...

you have to take a shot here and there....yeah it is nice to have youth, and build through the draft (I'm all for that)...but you have to have some marque players as well...this FO pays for players they think will amke an impact...they almost paid for Pace last year if you remember, they have one of the highest paid LT's in the game, and if I'm not mistaken, the highest paid RT....Scared money dont make money, look at the Jets they took a risk traded into the 1st and got a QB that lead them to the AFC Championship, and they aren't stopping, they are talking about getting Cromartie!!!

In the end I definately agree with you that Miami isn't going to sign Rolle, Dansby, and Marshall/Boldin tomorrow, HOWEVER I would be kinda upset and wondering just the eff is going on with the FO if they dont do a thing this offseason.....

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  10. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Well IMO the Pace situation kind of backs up my contention. We offered a fair amount of money to Pace, but there was another team (Jets) willing to pay more.
    I would say in conjecture that we'll offer a fair and reasonable amount of money to Dansby as well. But I'm also of the opinion that it won't be all that hard to outbid our offer, simply because this FO has a track record of not overpaying.

11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I wouldn't say a fair amount. We offered a ton of money to a guy who really wasn't that proven in a new scheme IIRC. From what I read, our offer was right there with NY's, but Pace wanted to play there instead of here.

Dansby has already said he wanted to play here and all that, so I would think that certainly gives us an edge if we're close in bidding with another team.

late again likes this.
  12. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Oh yeah me too. I'm sure they'll do SOMETHING. I just don't really want to hold my breath that we're going to make a big FA splash.
    With Long it's the nature of the beast; ie: the draft. With Carey, he did take less to stay here. As did Bell.

finyank13 likes this.
  13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Watch any Lions games lately, or before that the Steelers?? Start with Week 1 and go thru to Week 17....he is an okay LB, put him on Miami and his shortcomings would show greatly...

14. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    you may be right on the money. I thought I had read somewhere that the Jets offered a bit more than we did and we just refused to go up anymore. Take it or leave it kind of thing. :dunno:
    I truly hope that the stars all align for Dansby to become a Fin. I really do. But again, I'm not holding my breath.

15. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Actually I'd watched him some with the Steelers awhile back and thought I had remembered him as looking pretty decent.
    However, I never saw him last year with the Lions at all, that's why I was asking. I will say this, though. His stats last year are respectable for an older guy in a new system. So you dont think putting him back into a 3/4 would help him?
    99 tkl 2 sck 4 PDef 1 FF
    http://www.nfl.com/players/larryfoote/profile?id=FOO434041

Without question Dansby is the better option but, I'm skeptical that our FO will satisfy his contract demands. I hope so, but....

16. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    On the Steelers he was a complimentary LB on a defense loaded for bear, with Miami he will targeted to block and neutralized IMO...he is a slightly above avg LB, not the man you want anchoring your corp though....and this corp needs a whole lot of anchoring!!! lol.....however on that note he probably is better than they have...

yeah putting him in a 3-4 could help him sure..

17. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    negotiating ploy.

18. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Whole lot of people in this thread who have not seen Larry Foote play.

19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    His play looked a lot better when he was surrounded by the best defense in the league.

Now that he's in Det, not so much.

20. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
  21. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    ???...c'mon brother, spill it.
    Is Foote a viable option in your opinion or not?

22. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I have....enough to know he isnt the guy to be the rock of the LB corp IMO flat out...if they are going to continue nickle and diming everything in positions they need playmakers, status quo my friend..

23. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah if it's a guy like Foote, or Morrison then I would hope that we still look to the draft heavily for LB help - ILB and OLB.

24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I think that's the plan, unless Ireland peddles the 12 for B Marsh...or Dansby comes on board at midnight......

25. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I'm in the camp that would give up that 1st round pick for Marshall. I'm also of the opinion that mine isn't the same as our FO.