1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami needs an upgrade at the running back position (there, I said it)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hugoguzman, Nov 7, 2010.

1. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

Sheets may have been a threat, but was still cut by teams, White was a threat to us when he came into the game, not the other team, and 31 other teams agreed with us when we cut him.

gunn34 likes this.
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i love how padre just assumes kory sheets would have been a good return option for us.......the dude coulda been another clifton smith....or worse...

3. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Ronnie Brown is my second favorite Dolphin of all time (behind only Tim Bowens) but I'd prefer to let go of Brown and keep Ricky. Ricky is cheaper and is more or less the same player at this point in their careers.

Can't believe I'm writing this...

4. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I would have to give the nod to Ronnie staying based on the Age difference....

mixing in Ronne with say Noel Devine would be a big change of pace type attack and 3rd down scat back guy.

5. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know about Noel Devine (honestly, I don't because I don't watch WVA games). Is he just a scat back type of running back ala lorenzo booker who can't carry the load. Or can he be a feature back? In my opinion you want someone who can take it to the house any time they touch it AND carry the load.

hugoguzman likes this.
  6. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    IMO, I think he can be all that....I would expect Ronnie to be #1 rusher...but change of pace with Noel would be sweet. He has hands and returns as well.

He can clearly take it to the house any time he touches it. And he holds onto the rock.
    YouTube - Devine Intervention (Noel Devine Freshman Highlights)
    YouTube - Simply Devine (Noel Devine Sophomore Highlights)

7. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    But look long turn a few years from now. I don't want to draft a kid who will always be a career change of pace, atleast not that high.

8. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Or another straight line guy like Carroll

9. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I see no reason why he couldnt excel as primary ball carrier. His speed is a game changer.

And doesnt put the rock on the carpet!
    YouTube - Incredibly Devine (Noel Devine Junior Highlights)

10. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Also, has Cobbs been used at all on offense. Why is he on the team?

11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Obviously you're not "the smartest man on earth" because you can barely spell or punctuate your sentences. :lol:

12. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I'm hearing names like Cobbs and Hilliard being mentioned.

The bar being set is Ray freakin' Rice. Those guys are not even close to that level of explosiveness and big play ability.

I know that running backs are a dime a dozen, but the Dolphins will likely need to use a third round pick or better to land this caliber of playmaker at the RB position.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  13. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    When a business isn't doing well changes aren't made from the bottom to the top, they are made from the top down. A new boss or manager is hired and then they make the decisions after evaluations and get rid of those who don't fit, and bring on those who do.

Henning needs to go when the season is over, and let our new OC make adjustments to this offense, just like Nolan did with the defense.

hugoguzman likes this.
  14. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    That's actually a great point. Nolan took a defense that was in the bottom third of the league and made it a top 15 defense (still has issues but vastly better than last year despite only a handful of personnel changes)

Let's hope that a change at the OC spot makes a similar difference on the offense and on Henne's development (assuming Henne is the starter next year).

15. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Please no more little runners from West Virginia. Bad memories.

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Let's hope a top OC will be available!.... or at least able to be stolen. :lol:

17. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If we take a RB early (ie 1st 2 rounds), it better be Ingram. Other than that, we should be able to get some talent in rd 3 and 4 (Kendall Hunter perhaps in rd 3 if he lasts).

If we don't draft 2 RBs next draft I may be disappointed.

18. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    I thought we abandoned the run after the first drive. Since what Ronnie finished with 9 carries? 6 on the first drive. How can you have a Running Back who gains 45 yards on 6 carries with a touchdown on the first drive of the game. Get 3 carries the rest of the game? That is absolute crap. And that is all on Henning.

19. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    There was like 10 carries between Ricky and Ronnie, and 6 came on the 1st drive. We did seem to after the 2nd drive. 2nd drive was 1 run and 1 pass.

2nd drive started with a 2 yd run by Ricky, and then came the interception where Hartline slipped.

The 3rd drive (down 10-7), we started off with what I thought was a poor call (though execution was lacking as well), a quick screen to Marshall. That went -4 yds, so we pretty much had to pass on 2nd and 14. 3rd down ended with one of 2 sacks the defense got on the day.

We got a FG on the 4th drive, but it started with 2:55 seconds. 10 passes vs 1 run. It's difficult to complain about no runs here, as we moved the ball well, but I would have liked to see a run at the 1. However, we had no timeouts at that point, and the play was there to Fasano. Henne screwed it up though.

Coming out after half would be where I expected us to try and establish the run, but Ricky got the 1st play for no yards, and 2nd down was an incompletion intended for Bess. 3rd down was the 7 yd scramble by Henne, so we had to punt.

Next time we got the ball it was 20-10. We started with a pass to Ronnie, but then ran him twice (2nd run netted a 1st down on 2nd and short). Then we had a 9 yd pass to Fasano, then we must have had a false start, because 2nd down was a 3 yd scramble by Henne on 2nd and 6. 3rd and 3 should have been a completion for a first down, but Brown dropped it.

We could have tried to run the ball the next drive, but passing plays got us from the our 27 to the BAL 29 in 4 plays. I would have liked to see a run here, but we were moving it. We threw deep to Marshall here (I don't see how it wasn't PI, since the CB just stopped right in front of Marshall, but anyway). We passed for 7 yds to Bess on 2nd down. I suppose we weren't playing for the FG (as so many people like to complain) as we went to throw on 3rd and 3, but sadly they destroyed us on this play and Henne took a 6 yd sack (making for a 46 yd FG instead of 40).

The next time we got the ball there was 6:45 left and we were down 23-10. Tough to run at this point, and even tougher when there is an interception on 2nd down again.

The rest really doesn't need analyzed.

I would have liked to see a few more runs, but really looking at the plays, it really did come down to execution. Their offense kept the ball for a long time continually, and we couldn't match them (or tackle them). An interception, a bad screen to open a drive, a run for no yards, a 3rd down drop by Brown, a sack. All those things killed our chances to run more. I don't like Henning for the most part, but he didn't call a terrible game (not suggesting he was great or anything). You might be able to attribute the screen to Henning, but the sack would've been a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario. Had we run on that 3rd and 3 and got 2 yds, everyone would be *****ing about us not having a killer instinct. This one was on the players (all 53 included) IMO. If any coach can be pinned for a bad game (aside from Sparano) it'd be Nolan for not calling plays that were covering backs out of the backfield better, though I really have no clue how much of that is on him even.