1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami opens a -2.5 Dog at NJ / New Jersey JETS Week!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Miami- Jets Game - Opening line +2.5

Pretty amazing that the Dolphins are essentially a pick'em choice on the road in week 8, facing a team that nearly upset the vaunted Patriots in NE.

Color me impressed that this team is exceeding expectations and everyone is starting to take notice. I'm pretty surprised about such a small opening line. Let's hope the team goes in to NY with a chip on their shoulder ready to apply some Hot Sauce on these fools. I heard Reggie on Jim Rome (just flipping through when he happened to me be talking) and he is still bitter about Rex Ryan and his gang of thugs. I hope his early season performance makes an appearance and dominates these fools.

[​IMG]

dolfan7171 likes this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Patriots aren't so "vaunted" anymore. They are a good team, but no longer a great team IMO.
    still, I think it shows our defense is good enough to warrant attention vs any opponent.

on another note, love seeing the Jets fans finally infuriated with their offensive coordinator. surprised it took this long.

HULKFish and Bpk like this.
  3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I figured we would open as the favorites. After losing a tough one to the Patriots in overtime, in a game that the Jets players and coaches built up emotionally all week...you would think there's bound to be a letdown the following week.

The problem is that Dolphins-Jets carries its own emotions. If the Jets were playing, let's say, the Rams...then I would be all over betting against the Jets. There's a chance that the Jets walk out of this game so pissed off that they take out their frustrations on us.

Also, dare I say it...but when you look on the Jets' performances this year, losses to the Steelers (3-3), 49ers (5-2), Texans (6-1)...an overtime loss to the Patriots (4-3)...wins over the Dolphins (3-3), Bills (3-4) and Colts (3-4)...this Jets team isn't as bad as we thought. Their opponents combine for 23-17 (.575) versus teams other than the Jets.

Nor are the Dolphins a bad team by any means. I'm not saying that. The Dolphins carry wins over the Raiders (2-4), Bengals (3-4) and Rams (3-4), with losses to the Texans (6-1), Cardinals (4-3) and Jets (3-4). Our opponents are a combined 18-17 (0.514) when not playing us.

I have to be honest. I was kind of anticipating the Jets getting killed by the Patriots in this game. The way it ended up playing out...I haven't fully digested what implications this might have for the game next week.

Bpk likes this.
  4. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I agree 100%.. So why would you figure otherwise? -2.5 to a team that was expected to get demolished at NE sounds about right for me, if not generous if you are a Dolphins fan. The Jets clearly aren't as bad as initially thought with the loss of Revis and Holmes, and they have proved it against Hou / NE. I would think it would be closer to -4 / -5.

5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    The Jets defense is definitely playing better the past couple of weeks. we will struggle to score many points this week. gotta hope our defense gets more turnovers vs Sanchez

Bpk likes this.
  6. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I think with the dynamics going on in this one, due to the game yesterday and their being a home favorite, you're looking at a Jets team that comes out flat at the start of the game and gets down on the scoreboard early, and then comes roaring back for a close win in the end.

The Dolphins to win this one IMO will have to stage a blowout and leave no room for a comeback, and I don't think we have the firepower for that. IMO we don't have the ability to take a team that's flat and crush it into oblivion in the first half alone.

7. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Jets aren't a very good team. Neither is NE for that matter. AFCE is wide open IMO.

cdz12250 likes this.
  8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I would tend to agree although I have to think about it some more. If I'm not mistaken, the original poster is claiming that the Dolphins are the favorites at -2.5 on the opening lines. If that's the case, the Jets may not even come out flat. They just played the Patriots up in their own house in New England, were 11 point underdogs, and played them to the bone in overtime. Now they come back and are 2.5 point underdogs IN THEIR OWN HOUSE, to a 3-3 team that they've already beaten once. There's something of an insult factor involved there.

cdz12250 likes this.
  9. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Miami opened at +3 at Pinnacle. Now down to +1 at Pinnacle.

10. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    This is going to a lot tougher game than what I thought it was going to be before I watched that game last night. They aren't playing bad football. Their defense is playing really well.

Bpk likes this.
  11. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    its always close against them no matter what

RevRick likes this.
  12. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007

I fixed the title as it may have been confusing.. I've never bet on football so the +2.5 is the more accurate way to describe it.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't understand how losing to the Patriots in OT means the Jets are going to come out more fired up then we are when we lost to the Jets not that long ago, by very little.

I don't think either team has the clear "emotional advantage" in this game. I think the advantage comes down to us having two weeks to plan this game and we should be healthier.

Mcduffie81, CJTakoz and Anonymous like this.
  14. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    just ****ing win. And for the love of dog, LIGHT TEBOW UP

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  15. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    This is pretty typical. Usually when teams have similar records Vegas usually inputs the home team as 3 point favorites. Its down to 2.5 probably because bets were coming in heavier on Miamis side so you had some movement in the line.

16. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    On another note, have you ever tried that Mad Dog 357 in your signature? That stuff will burn a whole in your gut, and thats coming from someone who loves hot food. I had the special reserve version that came with a bullet to bite and it brought everyone to tears it was soo hot.

17. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Wait, I thought the Jets were favored?

Bpk likes this.
  18. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    They are Shou. My thread title is slightly misleading.

19. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Dude, I love torturing myself with spice but I will not go near that.

20. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I agree, we should hopefully come out punching and put them down early. As long as we don't blow second half adjustments and the defense holds we can put it away. The Jets will get up for us as always, but they are beat to hell aside from just the Revis/Holmes blows.

21. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Anyone can pass on the Patriots, so they aren't really vaunted anymore.

But Dolphins still have to watch out for Dustin Keller especially, because our Pass D isn't much better. We also need to run the ball, they should be able to, I mean they got a week off and basically had another week off against the Rams. Even against the Bengals they didn't do much.

Hopefully Gaffney plays to help the passing game, but Jets Pass D is playing well without Revis so far. Can't win against the Jets on the road like we won against the Rams, giving up 400+ yards and less than 200 yards for us.

First half is important, need to capitalize and not come out flat. Obviously the biggest game of the Tannehill/Philbin era, can't get swept by a division rival coming out of the bye week, and while holding down the 6th seed. Highest pressure game so far.

Bpk likes this.
  22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Oh really? Ok I thought the Dolphins were favored in this game. Interesting. I bet that line is going to be bet down to something close to a pick'em (Jets -1.0 or something like that).

23. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    I thought the Pats played very poorly in O and D they made the jets look good.

24. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    If we come out winning after the first half, we always win the 3rd quarter this year. Hopefully we will be leading by enough and turn things around in the 4th quarter. If we win the turnover battle, we will win this game. We are healthier than ever and they are worn out.

25. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I thought you were talking about this Mad Dog-

[​IMG]

Which, coincidentally will also burn a hole in your gut. It may also cause you to bed down with incredibly unattractive women. Prolonged use will lead to living underneath a bridge in a cardboard box.

Bumrush and dolfan32323 like this.
  26. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Kerley is the one making that offense go along with Keller. Kerley has had back to back games around 100 yards and hes opening up things outside for the backs and te's. Id probably put the bigger Smith on Hill and put Carroll on Kerley with safety help.

27. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    As did I, and with the injuries I anticipated the Jets falling off a cliff but they clearly haven't. As of now I can't just write them off.

Agree with FinD, think the bye should be our advantage. This is a good chance for Philbin to come out with a great gameplan after having the extra time to prepare. Can't wait for this game, not only is it the ****ing Jets but it's also an important game for once.

Fin D likes this.
  28. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    If it were a year ago, the bye would be a disadvantage. I have hope in Philbin utilizing the time, and out game-planning them early. If we execute and protect the ball, we should win a close game. The Jets are just so bad, but have had a knack for catching breaks and teams have been playing down to their level. We are better in every facet right now, and their home field advantage has never played a role. I actually think we win more on the road against them.

29. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I dont bet Dolphins games. But if I did I would take Miami.
    Teams playing before their bye week are 4-16 ATS and 5-16 SU so far in 2012.
    Jets are on a bye next week.

muscle979, MonstBlitz and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  30. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Who?

[​IMG]

I'll see if I can get over to Wendover on Sunday so the boys can earn me some dough...

I don't see this game as being a problem. If we lose more than one game between now and 11/24, I'll see it as a disappointment. We're in good shape.

31. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    In all honesty, you could add the Fins to that list… we are an AVG team at best…. which is better then I was expecting this year. :)

32. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    That is an outstanding point… I think Miami having two weeks to heal and prepare for the Jets is huge. The reality of it is that the Jets have less then half the time we have to prepare for this game.

33. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    That's why it would suck even more if we did lose twice to them. They've also had more big injuries this year than we have.

34. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    EDIT: oops haha. Wrong thread!

35. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    ...should I tell him?

thisperishedmin likes this.
  36. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Can it be our dirty secret?

37. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the Jets have never swept Miami in Rex Ryan's tenure.

38. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Ok, I'm going to use this thread to ask this question. I'm not a gambler. I'll participate in pools or small bets with family or friends, but never official stuff.

How does it all work? The Jets are 2.5 point favorites. So if I put $100 on the Dolphins, how much do I win? Or if I bet on the Jets (LOL), how much do I win then? Do you make more by betting on the underdog? I would assume so.

39. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I would think that coming off the bye week would tip the scales slightly in our favor in this one.

40. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Yep, we are healthier and more prepared, that goes a long way.