1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Miami perfect place for Philbin" Per GB.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dWreck, Jan 21, 2012.

1. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
  2. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I like the article. I think it was very refreshing.

dolphindebby likes this.
  3. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

True. I didn't know he was an o line coach, should help us a lot. Looks like a good fit here all around, hope that is the case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    The more things I read and peoples comments i see, the more refreshed i feel. Idk. It's been a while since i've seen the fanbase marginally respond "hell yea" in unison to a major decision our team has made.

he's definitely not a super star, but still seems like he has a lot of support all over the place. Which is a very good thing

5. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    this is per http://thefinsiders.com/blog/2012/joe-philbin-what-the-packers-are-saying

doesnt sound like cam 2.0 to me.

6. sws84

sws84 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Green Bay is a class act. A lot of teams could learn from how they do things both on the field and in the front office. Hope this is a sign of things to come for the Phins!!

Steve :)

7. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    agreed

8. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Very true.....only thing I've really seen negative about him is that some GUY thinks he us unattractive. Not that important in my book, don't think I would have hit on Madden, Lombardy, or Landry either.

9. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Nice read, he is who I wanted out of the three. I'm excited.

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    He is who I wanted out of the 4.

11. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The only concern I have with Phibin is his ability to lead the team. He's intelligent, substantive and knowledgeable. I get the impression that he's the smartest person in the room, any room he's in. But can he lead guys ?? Can he motivate them ??

The next question I have is "Can he recruit a competent staff?" Can he find a guy to replace Nolan ?? This is the big unknown right now, but the next couple of weeks should give us an idea of whether he's able to or not.

Really, his success or failure is tied to Ireland. Can Ireland 'switch gears' from the type of players he's scouted and evaluated for Quitcells and get the type of players that Philbin will need to be successful. The GB folks seem to think we are 'ready' to break out, but there are quite a few holes here that have to be filled before we can reverse the trend here. Can Ireland get the guys we need...??

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I posted a link to a second video in the 12 minutes with Philbin thread. His patience with the reporter is exceptional and he never makes the guy fell stupid and has a "teacher-ly" way about him. I really think, his intelligence, demeanor, SB ring and the fact he's here 2 weeks after losing his son, will command all the respect he needs.

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

To me, if you put Philbin in a suit like Landry wore and that Stetson Fedora hat, he'd look a lot similar, especially in a profile shot.

14. Loyal Fin

Loyal Fin Business as usual

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    Who cares what he looks like? As long as the players respect him, I'm fine. We'll soon see his aptitude.

15. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    What a difference from Parcells, Philbin is described as cerebral hard working and high level of emotional intelligence, able to deal with players effectively.
    Maybe we are starting to see what Ross is about, in organizations it all starts at the top and Ross is bringing in people with the right attributes.

gunn34 likes this.
  16. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008

^this

17. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    ^That

Trowa likes this.
  18. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Based on last year's draft, I think this will be his strong suit.

IMO Ireland's strength in scouting didn't match up well with Parcells' needs. It seems like when he scouted/drafted for Parcells, he tried to identify players that Tuna would prefer (guys like Patrick Turner, John Nalbone, Hartline, White); however, now it seems he's able to identify players that he, himself, likes.

I think it's important to remember that talent assessors aren't equally gifted across all fronts. Just because Ireland was mediocre at scouting/signing players to fit Parcells' grind-it-out, possession-style offense, it doesn't mean he's not elite at finding athletic, playmaking, versatile guys to fit Philibin's. Clay, Thomas, Gates, and Pouncey were all a good draft start to building Philibin's offense as well as a possible indication of Ireland's true talent.

sws84 and gunn34 like this.
  19. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Agreed, classy article and a great read. What caught my attention though...was the post immediately following that article. Rumors of GB franchising Flynn and trading him to Miami for their 2nd round pick have already surfaced.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

MikeHoncho and ToddsPhins like this.
  21. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    TBH. it doesnt matter... its so much speculation at this point... it's through the roof. I want Flynn here, Bad. but fact is no one knows whats up yet. I try to not trust anything I read about him at this point.

22. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    lolled so ****ing hard. thank you for gracing my threads presence with this masterpiece

edit: did you just do that?

23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    thanks and yeah.

24. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Tragically losing his son could very well leave him obsessively immersed in coaching.
    Perhaps we become the magical Cinderella story of 2012 where a team comes together and fights for a SB for Philibin and the memory of his son.

Fin D likes this.
  25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Hartline was a player that Henne liked.

26. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    seems like that story is working out for the pats and their little patches.

just sayin.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  27. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, hte more I think about this, the less optimsitic I am about the move, hiring Philbin means a rebuilding yr as the style of player his scheme requires is brought on board.

I'd like to think I'm wrong on that, but objectively, I don't believe I am.

28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Who do we have that doesn't fit Philbin's scheme?

29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Hartline is a good player to have on any team and whom any QB should like, but he seems more like a Parcells-type possession guy than an explosive player Ireland would've drafted if afforded the freedom.

If Miami's offense were only lacking possession WRs/TEs and hadn't taken Pat Turner in the previous round, Hartline would've been a great pick. Unfortunately, Hartline's addition made us overloaded in the "possession" department and lacking in the speed/playmaking one. The problem wasn't with Hartline; it was with what Hartline left us still lacking. Matt Moore is a solid vertical passer, but how many deep passes were completed or attempted to Brian compared to how many could've been if we had a more vertically gifted #2?

30. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Agreed

I am glad we did not recycle a big name myself. Who wants to pay big bucks for a man that wasn't excited and hungry at a chance to jump on board the Dolphins and lead them to bigger and better times.

I'm happy with the choice.

31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    IMO our 2011 draft was a good head start to help convert us over to what Philibin will need.
    We could use another athletic interior Olineman to go with Pouncey, another speedier, versatile, playmaking WR who can play inside or out (ala Jennings), and another athletic TE.

If we could trade back and pick up an extra 2nd, then imagine adding Kendall Wright, Koby Fleener, and either Jarius Wright, Joe Adams, or Ryan Broyles.

The ideal would be landing both of Cincy's #1s and taking David DeCastro, Wright, and then Fleener.

32. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Hartline was drafted because Henne fell in love with him during the work out.

People call him a possesion receiver because he is white, period. He isn't the explosive 3 yard pass into a 40 yard pass receiver, however the amount of long passes he completes are compariable to some of the great deep threats in the league.

If there is a receiver that needs to be upgraded for Miami it is Bess. He had a really off year last year and he cannot have that being as slow as dirt as he is.

33. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He's a possession receiver b/c he's a possession receiver. His color has nothing to do with it, although the white genes don't do him any favors. A respectable yards per catch doesn't un-possession him. We're not talking about Jordy Nelson here.

Bess needs to play on a harder field IMO where his quickness jumps out significantly more. He seemed 20% faster verse either NY or Buffalo when the freezing temp had the ground like a rock.

34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Yea, the fact that on the field he isn't exactly a possession receiver doesnt unpossession him, it is your opinion that really matters.

35. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    If I was to make a guess about the kind of players Philbin would want for his offense and compare them to players Ireland has brought in I would think the fit wouldn't be far off. I would guess Philbin wants "smart, mobile OL" like Pouncey, zone scheme runners like Bush and Thomas and good receivers who are not necessarily burners like Marshall and Bess. I don't really Ireland needing to make much of a shift other than probably a bit more emphasis on the TE position. As for defense, who knows. I think we'll know more when the DC is hired.

36. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    You know what surprised me most about the article? I was surprised by how they spoke of the Dolphins as a team on the verge. Anybody sharing that opinion here is sure to get at least a few responses calling him a homer. I know I have experienced that. It's nice (although ultimately unimportant) to see that opinion being voiced by outside sources.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  37. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I don't agree with that TP, Hartline is not much of a possession Wr, he is the classic #2 Wr in the Td/Checkdown offense, he also runs routes well enough, and is football smart enough, to fit into the SBO, the problem with him is he is more like a #3 Wr in that offense (like Jordy Nelson) and he doesn't return kicks and punts.

Hartline caught plenty of deep passes from Moore, sometimes waiting for the ball to get there, but the new offense to me will give Pruitt and Wallace and Marlon Moore a chance to step up, or leave, Pruitt is quietly a fine football player who excels on ST but with the SBO, he has to do more as that offense typically uses lots of Wr's.

I will say this, the idea of Hartline running slant and goes does intrique me.